Breathing Technique

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] holm188

Training

Post by [old] holm188 » September 6th, 2005, 9:35 pm

I think breathing is not very high up on the priority list of improvements to look for when starting rowing/erging. As long as you do not hold your breath too much during the stroke, it will take care of itself.<br /><br />Breating rythm is relatively easy to check when training by yourself compared to for example proper technique or posture. So I think solo-ergers tend to focus on what is easier to check/control rather than what would bring the most improvements. Even after 26 years of rowing there is a lot I can think of making sure I do correctly (or of improving) before worrying too much about breathing. When rowing in a team/crew, the focus (usually with a coach) is much more on technique and timing, except maybe to avoid stopping to breath. At higher levels (Xeno for example) improving breathing techniques might gain a few tenth of second.<br /><br />Just my thoughts. Hope it helps,<br />Holm

[old] Annabassand

Training

Post by [old] Annabassand » September 7th, 2005, 4:46 am

<!--QuoteBegin-PaulS+Sep 6 2005, 09:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(PaulS @ Sep 6 2005, 09:05 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Annabassand+Sep 6 2005, 12:13 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Annabassand @ Sep 6 2005, 12:13 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi <br /><br />Thanks for your inputs. We women have added cushing :-) So I guess I can't really harm myself by exhaling into the catch. :-) <br /><br />I am not sure what works best for me. I must have some trial runs. <br /><br />/anna <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Already sounds like a posture problem, at least that is what I would say to my wife if the "added cushing" was preventing potential risk to the unsupported rib cage. In fact, your mention of an indicated shoulder pain prompted me to reply to this thread. Be careful. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yes I am trying to be very careful :-) I don't plan to do a "test-row" until friday or saturday. Anyhow I am pretty sure the shoulder injury didn't come from rowing because I used it a lot more than I usually do for other things. <br /><br />I had coaching on my rowing technique a couple of years ago when I did a charity race. Obviously my technique is far from perfect, but it should be sound to build on. Anyway we shall see how I do... I do a lot of other exercise and am fairly fit generally and I must admit that I really am having a hard time holding back and not doing half an hour sessions on the rower. But I know that injury will keep me from rowing so I CAN and WILL hold back. <br /><br />/Anna<br />

[old] Annabassand

Training

Post by [old] Annabassand » September 7th, 2005, 4:49 am

<!--QuoteBegin-holm188+Sep 7 2005, 02:35 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(holm188 @ Sep 7 2005, 02:35 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think breathing is not very high up on the priority list of improvements to look for when starting rowing/erging. As long as you do not hold your breath too much during the stroke, it will take care of itself.<br /><br />Breating rythm is relatively easy to check when training by yourself compared to for example proper technique or posture. So I think solo-ergers tend to focus on what is easier to check/control rather than what would bring the most improvements. Even after 26 years of rowing there is a lot I can think of making sure I do correctly (or of improving) before worrying too much about breathing. When rowing in a team/crew, the focus (usually with a coach) is much more on technique and timing, except maybe to avoid stopping to breath. At higher levels (Xeno for example) improving breathing techniques might gain a few tenth of second.<br /><br />Just my thoughts. Hope it helps,<br />Holm <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe breathing technique isn't so important in rowing, I just asked because I know for a fact that both my running and biking has improved tremendously from a bit of focus in that direction :-)<br /><br />/Anna<br />

[old] Dickie

Training

Post by [old] Dickie » September 7th, 2005, 8:00 am

<!--QuoteBegin-holm188+Sep 6 2005, 09:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(holm188 @ Sep 6 2005, 09:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think breathing is not very high up on the priority list of improvements to look for when starting rowing/erging. As long as you do not hold your breath too much during the stroke, it will take care of itself.<br /><br />Breating rythm is relatively easy to check when training by yourself compared to for example proper technique or posture. So I think solo-ergers tend to focus on what is easier to check/control rather than what would bring the most improvements. Even after 26 years of rowing there is a lot I can think of making sure I do correctly (or of improving) before worrying too much about breathing. When rowing in a team/crew, the focus (usually with a coach) is much more on technique and timing, except maybe to avoid stopping to breath. At higher levels (Xeno for example) improving breathing techniques might gain a few tenth of second.<br /><br />Just my thoughts. Hope it helps,<br />Holm <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm afraid, I have to disagree here. In every sport I have ever participated in where a coach was involved, one of the first things we were taught is proper breathing technique. Without efficient delivery of oxygen to the muscles they just won't work to their optimum capacity. A few tenths at the elite level may mean as much as a few seconds at lower levels of performance.<br /><br />I don't know the proper technique for rowing, but in weightlifting we were taught to exhale on the drive, this is the technique I use in rowing. When I am stressed, as in a race, I modify to exhale on the drive and inhale, exhale, inhale on the recovery.<br /><br />Fred Dickie

[old] Annabassand

Training

Post by [old] Annabassand » September 7th, 2005, 8:34 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Dickie+Sep 7 2005, 01:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Dickie @ Sep 7 2005, 01:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-holm188+Sep 6 2005, 09:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(holm188 @ Sep 6 2005, 09:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think breathing is not very high up on the priority list of improvements to look for when starting rowing/erging. As long as you do not hold your breath too much during the stroke, it will take care of itself.<br /><br />Breating rythm is relatively easy to check when training by yourself compared to for example proper technique or posture. So I think solo-ergers tend to focus on what is easier to check/control rather than what would bring the most improvements. Even after 26 years of rowing there is a lot I can think of making sure I do correctly (or of improving) before worrying too much about breathing. When rowing in a team/crew, the focus (usually with a coach) is much more on technique and timing, except maybe to avoid stopping to breath. At higher levels (Xeno for example) improving breathing techniques might gain a few tenth of second.<br /><br />Just my thoughts. Hope it helps,<br />Holm <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm afraid, I have to disagree here. In every sport I have ever participated in where a coach was involved, one of the first things we were taught is proper breathing technique. Without efficient delivery of oxygen to the muscles they just won't work to their optimum capacity. A few tenths at the elite level may mean as much as a few seconds at lower levels of performance.<br /><br />I don't know the proper technique for rowing, but in weightlifting we were taught to exhale on the drive, this is the technique I use in rowing. When I am stressed, as in a race, I modify to exhale on the drive and inhale, exhale, inhale on the recovery.<br /><br />Fred Dickie <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Yes I agree. Using good breathing technique I have seen much better results in other sports, so figured breathing must be important in rowing too. <br /><br />But.... OMG - There are soooooo many ways to do this :-) I think I'd better try some different methods and see what works best for me. <br /><br />/anna

[old] ancho

Training

Post by [old] ancho » September 7th, 2005, 9:01 am

As its raining in Spain (believe me, Xeno, it also rains here sometimes!), I've changed my on-water-rowing purpose by a quite strong 10k on the erg.<br />I have been trying to focus ion my breathing, and have made some sort of a mess, but finally, this is how I do it (al least on the longer rows:<br />Main breath with the cath, letting air out at the end of the stroke, air in while doing "hands-away", letting air out until the catch.<br />Thinking about breathing has some positive effects: it made the workout go by very quickly, and wit personal PB!<br /><br />Have a nic e row,

[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » September 7th, 2005, 9:41 am

<!--QuoteBegin-ancho+Sep 7 2005, 08:01 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ancho @ Sep 7 2005, 08:01 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->As its raining in Spain (believe me, Xeno, it also rains here sometimes!), I've changed my on-water-rowing purpose by a quite strong 10k on the erg.<br />I have been trying to focus ion my breathing, and have made some sort of a mess, but finally, this is how I do it (al least on the longer rows:<br />Main breath with the cath, letting air out at the end of the stroke, air in while doing "hands-away", letting air out until the catch.<br />Thinking about breathing has some positive effects: it made the workout go by very quickly, and wit personal PB!<br /><br />Have a nic e row, <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi good job Ancho<br />You said it very simply: "letting air out until the catch"<br />The most important in rowing is that we do not row the way we lift weights. The beginning of the stroke is similar to the position of an Olympic sharp shooter. With shooting it is more extreme, since they have almost NO air in their chest. <br />By holding air in during the first 2/3 of the drive it does not facilitate a relaxed hanging position of the leg drive.<br />XENO

[old] holm188

Training

Post by [old] holm188 » September 7th, 2005, 10:02 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Annabassand+Sep 7 2005, 07:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Annabassand @ Sep 7 2005, 07:34 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Dickie+Sep 7 2005, 01:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Dickie @ Sep 7 2005, 01:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-holm188+Sep 6 2005, 09:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(holm188 @ Sep 6 2005, 09:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think breathing is not very high up on the priority list of improvements to look for when starting rowing/erging. As long as you do not hold your breath too much during the stroke, it will take care of itself.<br /><br />Breating rythm is relatively easy to check when training by yourself compared to for example proper technique or posture. So I think solo-ergers tend to focus on what is easier to check/control rather than what would bring the most improvements. Even after 26 years of rowing there is a lot I can think of making sure I do correctly (or of improving) before worrying too much about breathing. When rowing in a team/crew, the focus (usually with a coach) is much more on technique and timing, except maybe to avoid stopping to breath. At higher levels (Xeno for example) improving breathing techniques might gain a few tenth of second.<br /><br />Just my thoughts. Hope it helps,<br />Holm <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm afraid, I have to disagree here. In every sport I have ever participated in where a coach was involved, one of the first things we were taught is proper breathing technique. Without efficient delivery of oxygen to the muscles they just won't work to their optimum capacity. A few tenths at the elite level may mean as much as a few seconds at lower levels of performance.<br /><br />I don't know the proper technique for rowing, but in weightlifting we were taught to exhale on the drive, this is the technique I use in rowing. When I am stressed, as in a race, I modify to exhale on the drive and inhale, exhale, inhale on the recovery.<br /><br />Fred Dickie <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Yes I agree. Using good breathing technique I have seen much better results in other sports, so figured breathing must be important in rowing too. <br /><br />But.... OMG - There are soooooo many ways to do this :-) I think I'd better try some different methods and see what works best for me. <br /><br />/anna <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Maybe I have to rephrase/explain differently. <br /><br />Rowing is mainly an endurance sport, so it is important to get enough air in. But I think that good technique and good ratio/rythm will lead to good breathing rather than the other way around. Myself I do not breath randomly during the stroke, I breath similarly to what Ancho has explained. But I get more air in if I think of sitting up enough at the finish for example than if I think about the breathing rythm.<br /><br />Since the thread is about breathing, there is certainly a lot of valuable info here. I only got the feeling that too much was intented to be solved by improving breathing technique rather than rowing technique. <br /><br />Now I probably will think about breathing during my next row!!! <br /><br />

[old] Xeno

Training

Post by [old] Xeno » September 7th, 2005, 2:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-holm188+Sep 7 2005, 09:02 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(holm188 @ Sep 7 2005, 09:02 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Annabassand+Sep 7 2005, 07:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Annabassand @ Sep 7 2005, 07:34 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Dickie+Sep 7 2005, 01:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Dickie @ Sep 7 2005, 01:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-holm188+Sep 6 2005, 09:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(holm188 @ Sep 6 2005, 09:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think breathing is not very high up on the priority list of improvements to look for when starting rowing/erging. As long as you do not hold your breath too much during the stroke, it will take care of itself.<br /><br />Breating rythm is relatively easy to check when training by yourself compared to for example proper technique or posture. So I think solo-ergers tend to focus on what is easier to check/control rather than what would bring the most improvements. Even after 26 years of rowing there is a lot I can think of making sure I do correctly (or of improving) before worrying too much about breathing. When rowing in a team/crew, the focus (usually with a coach) is much more on technique and timing, except maybe to avoid stopping to breath. At higher levels (Xeno for example) improving breathing techniques might gain a few tenth of second.<br /><br />Just my thoughts. Hope it helps,<br />Holm <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm afraid, I have to disagree here. In every sport I have ever participated in where a coach was involved, one of the first things we were taught is proper breathing technique. Without efficient delivery of oxygen to the muscles they just won't work to their optimum capacity. A few tenths at the elite level may mean as much as a few seconds at lower levels of performance.<br /><br />I don't know the proper technique for rowing, but in weightlifting we were taught to exhale on the drive, this is the technique I use in rowing. When I am stressed, as in a race, I modify to exhale on the drive and inhale, exhale, inhale on the recovery.<br /><br />Fred Dickie <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Yes I agree. Using good breathing technique I have seen much better results in other sports, so figured breathing must be important in rowing too. <br /><br />But.... OMG - There are soooooo many ways to do this :-) I think I'd better try some different methods and see what works best for me. <br /><br />/anna <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Maybe I have to rephrase/explain differently. <br /><br />Rowing is mainly an endurance sport, so it is important to get enough air in. But I think that good technique and good ratio/rythm will lead to good breathing rather than the other way around. Myself I do not breath randomly during the stroke, I breath similarly to what Ancho has explained. But I get more air in if I think of sitting up enough at the finish for example than if I think about the breathing rythm.<br /><br />Since the thread is about breathing, there is certainly a lot of valuable info here. I only got the feeling that too much was intented to be solved by improving breathing technique rather than rowing technique. <br /><br />Now I probably will think about breathing during my next row!!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />You bet<br />This moringn during our workout at the Iron Oarsman, I was thinking about my breathing and how I can explain it further.<br />In weight lifting we are taught to be pumped up with air at the beginning of our effort with exercises such as bench press or squat.<br />Good posture at the finish looks like this: Supported lower back, chest out elbows back, forearmes parallel to the floor, and handle all the way to the sternum below the chest line. By sitting up like this it is easier to be pumped up with air in the lungs in order to hold a supported finish position. The canadian rowing technique, taught by Mike Spraklin is NOT like that.<br />XENO

[old] holm188

Training

Post by [old] holm188 » September 8th, 2005, 9:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Sep 8 2005, 01:10 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Sep 8 2005, 01:10 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Good posture at the finish looks like this: Supported lower back, chest out elbows back, forearmes parallel to the floor, and handle all the way to the sternum below the chest line.  <b>By sitting up like this it is easier to be pumped up with air </b>in the lungs in order to hold a supported finish position. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Xeno, you said it better than I ever could! <br /><br />Good posture (as you describe it) leads to easier/better breathing not the other way round, IMO. <br /><br />Cheers, Holm

[old] Annabassand

Training

Post by [old] Annabassand » September 9th, 2005, 5:13 am

I finally managed to get myself on the rower again (Shoulder problems kept me from doing so earlier). <br /><br />I still can't seem to find a steady breathing pace. I find that my breathing is all over the place if I don’t make a conscious effort to think about it. However maybe this is because I wasn’t doing a hard workout at all…. I think it may fall more into place when I start getting my pulse up more. <br /><br />I think in general I am most at ease with breathing in on the drive and exhaling on the recovery, however this was a slower than slow row (to make sure I didn't hurt my shoulder).<br /><br />Thanks for all the good explanations. I was very consious about posture today, and to my own knowledge I don't think I am making any of the classic mistakes. <br /><br />/Anna