Lifting vs. Lots of Rowing for 500 times

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
ToddMR
Paddler

Re: Lifting vs. Lots of Rowing for 500 times

Post by ToddMR » January 2nd, 2011, 12:43 am

I agree with Lincoln with respect to power generation in the Olympic lifts vs. the powerlifts. I'm a competitive powerlifter and olympic weightlifter.

The key to the olympic lifts and also, I believe, to rowing, is the vicious extension of the hip.

For weight training to improve your rowing, I'd look at the full and power versions of the snatch and clean-and-jerk, the related pulls, and ballistic kettlebell movements.

And Lincoln, if I'm not mistaken, you're a frequent poster at cathletics.com and crossfit.com?

LincolnB
Paddler

Post by LincolnB » January 2nd, 2011, 1:20 pm

luckylindy wrote:Any thoughts on gym exercises to improve velocity and/or power?
Well yeah, the Olympic lifts. Cleans in particular but snatches too. Squats & deadlifts will help with cleans & snatches and rowing, but keep in mind they are more strength exercises than power exercises. For pulling power I like kipping chinups, which have more power and recruit more muscles than deadhang pullups. Knees-to-elbows are also good for pulling strength as well as the hip/ab flexion needed for the recovery on the rowing stroke. Every rower should balance out all the pulling they do some with some pushing exercises like pushups, standing presses, or handstand variations.

LincolnB
Paddler

Post by LincolnB » January 2nd, 2011, 1:25 pm

ToddMR wrote:The key to the olympic lifts and also, I believe, to rowing, is the vicious extension of the hip.
Rowing doesn't extend the hip nearly as far as the O-lifts.
Also, the power at the catch of the rowing stroke is more critical than the power at the start of the O-lifts.
And Lincoln, if I'm not mistaken, you're a frequent poster at cathletics.com and crossfit.com?
Not at cathletics.com but at crossfit.com yeah. Also the O-lifting forum at GOHEAVY.COM from time to time.

ausrwr
2k Poster

Post by ausrwr » January 2nd, 2011, 2:42 pm

luckylindy wrote:
That's really interesting. Any thoughts on gym exercises to improve velocity and/or power?
I'd agree with the other thoughts, and add what worked best for me for best 2k (and low pulls just done randomly - we really didn't do ergs that year)

Cleans, squats and deadlifts (I only ever managed 110kg/110kg/150kg for sets of 5) to build the initial strength and power for several months, three times a week, then moving to a maintenance program with one heavy weights session a week, and replacing two of the sessions with circuits.

No ordinary circuits though, they're done against a partner, so you need a bit of room and a lot of kit.
50 cleans @ 50kg, 50 squats @ 50 kg, 30 bench press @ 40 kg, 30 single arm row @ 20 kg each side, 50 single leg leg press @ 80kg e/s, then 30 squat jumps on Smith machine with 30kg on bar. If you don't get off the ground on each of those squat jumps, you had to re-start the squat jump session. Rest until HR of both gets below 120 bpm, then go again. And then do another one.

It's not terribly scientific (this was old school East German/Romanian coaching), but seems to replicate the speed and load of racing pretty well. It also made me vomit copiously, and made one of the best rowers I've seen cry.
Rich Cureton. 7:02 at BIRC. But "much better than that now". Yeah, right.