[RowPro] Worst software experience I have ever encountered..

Topics relating to online racing and training with 3rd party software.
aroussos
Paddler

[RowPro] Worst software experience I have ever encountered..

Post by aroussos » April 23rd, 2008, 1:40 pm

Hello All,

I have been rowing for some time now with my c2 and recently have been looking into the idea of using some software which will help me row against others, track progress, etc. From reading this forum and perusing the Concept2 site, it appeared that the best option was RowPro, made by DigitalRowing. Upon visiting the link, I jumped right to downloading the demo, eager to try out the newfound functionality added to my training sessions. From this point on and for the next hour plus, I would be stuck in software installation purgatory.

As a professional software developer, I know a thing or two about creating solid, stable software and these are certainly not the two adjectives I would use to describe my experience with RowPro. After the installation started, I was prompted to create a free trial from the "Row Pro Activation" wizard. Seemingly all I had to do was enter a password and my email account to get a free trial. I remember thinking to myself "Kudos to whomever developed this - Ill be up in no time". Upon entering the required fields, the software informed me I was missing the "Intended Use" field. Whoops - Rookie mistake. I filled it in and wait for a confirmation. Error - "Form fields incorrect" or something to that extent. There are only three form fields I see, what could possibly be the error?? I fill in the fields again while I admit to myself I didn’t see the intended use field the first time and this is probably my problem. Still nothing- Same Error. I try other email addresses and combinations of password and intended use with no luck.

My experience already soured, I turn my attention to the DigitalRowing website to see if there was a way to activate the software online without using the "Wizard". Upon finding an interface to accomplish this task, I once again typed in my email address, serial number (which I got from the RowPro Activation Wizard) and software revision and hit Submit. I waited but nothing appeared in the Activation Code field. No errors displayed, no indication of a problem, nothing. I switched to another email address with no luck. Frustrated AGAIN that I am still unable to get a piece of $100 software to install on the first shot, I decided to manually type the fields again instead of copying and pasting my serial number. Finally - a result! Apparently it was the extra space in my serial number (copied directly from RowPro's "Copy to Clipboard Function") that caused the issue. Shame.

Armed with my new activation code I'm excited to get started to say the least. I copy the code from the web site and paste it into the appropriate section in the RowPro activation wizard using the "Paste From Clipboard" button in RowPro and click "Activate Trial". Error - "The program has encountered an overflow error". Wow. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I get this vague, uninformative error which gives no indication of what I should do or change. I take a deep breath - Its really seeming like my evening row is not going to happen tonight. This very thought gets me even more frustrated but I put my Software Developer hat on and decide I am not going to sleep before this thing is working. At this point I feel pity for the "Average User" who may have already given up at this point. I retype the code making sure to remove any extraneous characters. Bingo - again it seems like a space did me in - two time offender. I’m presented with "Thank you for activating your free trial of RowPro - Hit ok and begin rowing" or something of that nature. I’m excited - No, elated. I tell myself it was all worth it. I click ok and begin to situate myself into a comfortable spot on my rower. I wait. And Wait. And Wait. The activation screen has not disappeared. I am not using RowPro. I am staring at the same screen I have been for the last hour. I shut down RowPro, Restart my machine and take a deep breath. Sometimes restarts work.

Windows comes back up and pretty quick I might add. After all, this is a fresh Windows XP Pro install. RowPro is the first piece of software to be installed short of Service Pack 2 - It doesnt get fresher than this. I startup RowPro and am greeted by the Activation Wizard again telling me how I can get a free trial. Didn’t it work? Didn’t I already get and activate a free trial? What on earth is going on? My frustration increases as I dismount from my rower and situate myself in front of my computer. I try the same process I did which achieved success before; go to the site, get a trial, type it in without spaces. Same Error. I close the program and try again - This time I get a totally new error "Your trial has expired and you must now purchase RowPro". This process has been excruciating long and unnecessary but I don’t think 20 days have passed. I go to the activation tab and I see "Row Pro Expires : Never".

Almost out of ideas by this point- back to the web. My idea is I if I can create a user account on the web, there is a field I noticed earlier that I can use this information. I find no indication of where I can Register for an account on the site so I click on Forgotten Your Password to see if I can enter the email address I previously registered with. I notice there is a link where I can register - I click on it. "We are unable to process your Request" is the error I get. Wow - Again.

I give up. My evening row is a wash. I have had experience with software costing a fraction of RowPro and have never had nearly this bad of an experience.

Am I a black sheep? Am I the only one who have had these issues? I am totally disappointed at the fact that I was ready willing and able to spend the money to buy this software and add a new dimension to my workout. Unfortunately, I am left with nothing but skepticism in regards to the quality and stability of this $100 product. Certainly for money, and for a version 2.0 product, I expect a great deal more.

Regards,
Adam Roussos

sledgehammer
2k Poster

Post by sledgehammer » April 23rd, 2008, 3:50 pm

Sorry to hear you have had trouble.

My experience has been quite the opposite. I've been using it for years and, I find it is an amazing product. I know I would not have erged as consistently or improved my times without RowPro. I just used it to knock 17 secs off my Marathon PB last weekend.

I suggest a quick email to pete@digitalrowing.com. He responds quickly, and he probably has a quick fix for an activation problem.

Don't give up. You will be glad you stuck with it and got it working.

badocter
2k Poster

Post by badocter » April 23rd, 2008, 4:33 pm

I agree with sledgehammer, shoot them an email. I have been very happy with Rowpro.
40, 6'2", 180# (versus 235# in July 2007)
www.freespiritsrowing.com
[img]http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/uploads/badocter/rowingpbtable.png[/img]

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » April 23rd, 2008, 5:03 pm

I looked around for a rowing program a couple of years ago, and tried RowPro as one of the options, however it was quite difficult to set up. I gave up after a week or so of it not connecting at all, then the guy at RP got back to me with the details and I tried it for a couple of days.

This couple of days turned out to be plenty to give it a test, as the functionality if RP is not as good as the pm's are on their own. The visual screen is okay, but unnecessary, and the program is complicated to use. After a couple of days and learning that was the extent of the program, I canceled the trial. Common glitches were another negative factor.

RP does appear to be popular among a small group for online racing, which was one of my intentions of looking for a program. But it ended up that I didn't find any to be suitable.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

sledgehammer
2k Poster

Post by sledgehammer » April 23rd, 2008, 11:25 pm

Fair points but a couple of years is eons in the software world. If you haven't tried the software recently, its hard to know what you are missing. Most of the bugs you ran into two years ago have been fixed. I don't see them and I use the product multiple times a week.

I would agree the online function is the primary benefit I enjoy. Rowing with other people is an incredible motivator.

The other valuable features to me are:

1. Automatic transfer of all data to C2 online logbook.

2. The detailed reports produced after each session. The PM data report is pretty primative (and tough to print out).

3. Ease of creating pace boats. I often race against my performance on earlier rows. These performances are automatically saved so I can easily select one and "my competition" will row next to me on the virtual river replicating my past row stroke for stroke. I can also download other folks' performances from the C2 logbook and turn them into paceboats. This is a great way to produce PBs.

I can't imagine erging without RowPro. It changes the entire experience for me.

Gerhard
2k Poster

Post by Gerhard » April 24th, 2008, 4:53 am

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. I always fear software installations because I seem to run into all unhandled exceptions possible, but my Rowpro instalaltion went fine. I do crash every now and then, but that should be better in the new version (which I don't use yet because the digitalrowing site shows scheduled sessions for the old version).

The program itself is very nice. I love to do online workouts with other rowers and I like to race againt previous rows, pace boats and downloaded rows from the rankings. If thats what you want: contact Pete, solve the problems and buy the program. If you expect a lot more: don't get yopu expectations up too high..
1969; 183cm; 90kg; Rowing PB’s 2008; 500-1:32 1000-3:19 2000-7:14 5000-19:23 10000-40:29 HM-1:28:46. Recent SB’s not worth mentioning yet :-)

aroussos
Paddler

Post by aroussos » April 24th, 2008, 9:38 am

Is the PM-twin on RowPro enough to replace the functionality of the PM3?

Gerhard
2k Poster

Post by Gerhard » April 24th, 2008, 10:17 am

aroussos wrote:Is the PM-twin on RowPro enough to replace the functionality of the PM3?
No, but that does not matter because you stil need a PM3.
1969; 183cm; 90kg; Rowing PB’s 2008; 500-1:32 1000-3:19 2000-7:14 5000-19:23 10000-40:29 HM-1:28:46. Recent SB’s not worth mentioning yet :-)

aroussos
Paddler

Post by aroussos » April 24th, 2008, 10:22 am

What exactly are you missing such that you cannot use the pm-twin?

(The reason why I ask is I have mounted an LCD monitor to my rower connected to a computer running RowPro. The PM3 is just sitting next to the rower right now - connected, of course)
Gerhard wrote:
aroussos wrote:Is the PM-twin on RowPro enough to replace the functionality of the PM3?
No, but that does not matter because you stil need a PM3.

Gerhard
2k Poster

Post by Gerhard » April 24th, 2008, 10:29 am

[quote="aroussos"]What exactly are you missing such that you cannot use the pm-twin? [quote]

- The ability to switch display modes during a row (I can not reach for my keyboard while I'm rowing)

- Split averages

- Power graphs

I may have forgotten some, because I use the PM3 and hardly ever really look at the pm-twin.

Ron
Paddler

Post by Ron » April 28th, 2008, 8:35 am

Stick with RP aroussos, it is an awesome program. Hard for me to figure the complex technology involved but once you have it installed (may require some tweeking for you) you will really appreciate it!
The Buckeye State
Go Bucks

aroussos
Paddler

Post by aroussos » April 28th, 2008, 9:30 am

All,

I am so glad I listened to you guys. I contacted Pete over at RowPro and he was able to help me get my problem straightened out. Great customer service and I really feel like value my business. Now that I have the program installed, I can honestly say I have no idea how I lived without it. Everything functions great and I no longer even have my PM3 in view.

Thanks Pete!

sledgehammer
2k Poster

Post by sledgehammer » April 28th, 2008, 12:20 pm

Glad it worked out. Hope to row with you online. Ernie

chgoss
10k Poster

Post by chgoss » April 28th, 2008, 12:23 pm

aroussos wrote:All,

I am so glad I listened to you guys. I contacted Pete over at RowPro and he was able to help me get my problem straightened out. Great customer service and I really feel like value my business. Now that I have the program installed, I can honestly say I have no idea how I lived without it. Everything functions great and I no longer even have my PM3 in view.

Thanks Pete!
Glad that it worked out for you.

RP is great, I use it every day. If you are using it to race/train online, check this thread out for helpful hints:
http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=16654

hope to see you online
-chad
52 M 6'2" 200 lbs 2k-7:03.9
1 Corinthians 15:3-8

michaelb
2k Poster

Post by michaelb » April 28th, 2008, 1:06 pm

I am glad you got the install worked out too. My impression over the years is that many people have trouble with the initial install and set up process. My memory is that I had trouble when I upgraded to version 2.0 and did that install. But that once RP is running, RP runs pretty well and those of us that use it seem to love it.

You should check out online rowing too, since that is a great feature. You may want your PM visible for online rowing, since in the beta (the new version) that gives you the venue racing display, which includes the names of some of the people in the race.
M 51 5'9'' (1.75m), a once and future lightweight
Old PBs 500m-1:33.9 1K-3:18.6 2K-6:55.4 5K-18:17.6 10K-38:10.5 HM-1:24:00.1 FM-3:07.13