TEAM TimbukTOO Marathon Honors

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
PJM
Half Marathon Poster

TEAM TimbukTOO Marathon Honors

Post by PJM » April 16th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Our first Marathon Rower of the day..Image

Bobbie!!!

Congrats!!!Image

After a month of rowing strong..you still have that TimbukToo-ian spirit and strength.

Congrats to Jim too..a former crew mate .

Pat
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 16th, 2008, 3:35 pm

Congrats to Beverly Dellinger of Team Timbuk2 for her Marathon today too!!!

Way to row!!!

Pat
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 18th, 2008, 4:06 pm

I got my HM in today!!!

I will be watching the honor board for more TimbukTOO-ians/TIMBUK2-ians/TIMBUKTU-ians

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 18th, 2008, 11:14 pm

Jeff!!

Our TIMBUK2-ian Jeff finished his half marathon today.

Congrats!!

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 19th, 2008, 3:32 pm

Congrats to Ryan..TimbukToo-ian/TIMBUK2-ian!!!

Your HM of the day.
Way to row!!!

Cheers to you..

Pat
B)

ltwt_mt
Paddler

Post by ltwt_mt » April 19th, 2008, 8:55 pm

Thanks Pat. Want to try the full marathon before the end of the challenge. Put my erg outside today, made the distance fly by. Thanks for the encouragment, hope to see some other TIMBUK-too ians try the challenge.

Ryan
"Good Day. We are privileged to live another day in this magnificent world. Today you will be tested." Mike Livingston

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 20th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Former crew member..Jim K..
Congrats to you!!Image
2 Marathons..great accomplishment.

Yah-hoo!!

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 21st, 2008, 10:45 pm

Congrats to Robert L..TIMBUKTU for his Marathon today!!!

Way to row!!!

Pat
B)

Lyric
Paddler

question for the marathoners

Post by Lyric » April 23rd, 2008, 11:00 am

I'm way too new at this (and too out of shape) to even think of a marathon. But for those of you who've achieved this (bravo!), I'm curious. Do you do the distance continuously? Or do you work in mini-rests to drink water and catch a quick breather?

I realize a marathon is all in one sitting, but I guess I'm just wondering if short breaks like you'd have in interval sets are acceptable or not.

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 23rd, 2008, 11:27 am

Hi fellow TimbukToo-ian!!
I have been rowing a very long time and I have yet to do a full marathon.I consider myself in fairly good shape but the thought of sitting for several hours rowing just doesn't appeal to me personally.I can do the half marathon.But even that for me is a personal challenge.I have to have really good TV shows on for diversion too.
There is a really good section of the Concept 2 site that tells you how to train for this type of marathon.I equal it to the training necessary for a marathon in the running arena.There is crucial training needed to do it justice and to avoid injury or that "hitting the wall" when gylcogen reserves are depleted.It will happen in any event that requires alot of energy expended without proper preparation.
You are allowed breaks..you need to watch your PM monitor so that it doesn't zero out on you.
I take the necessary breaks and pace myself.Hydration is a must..I tend to lose alot of "water" when I row.I watch my heart rate carefully too.
It is a real accomplishment to complete either the half or full marathon.I would recommend going for the half first..then work your way up.
I would LOVE one of those mugs they give but I won't get one any day soon :(
I collect the drinking glasses that they offer for million meter success.I am on my way to 12 million..I think I am there.That is lifetime meters.I have about 10 glasses and they are my pride and joy and I display them proudly in a lighted cabinet.
Any way..to make a long story finally short..
Yes..you can take breaks and a word of caution..train sensibly for the marathons..half or full.Your body will appreciate the kindness.

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 23rd, 2008, 11:30 am

Training for a Marathon

The Individual Marathon distance is 42,195 meters. The Half Marathon distance is 21,097 meters.

Dates in parentheses are a suggested timetable if you are planning to participate in the Global Marathon Challenge in late April every year.

Training
Basic Groundwork
The 10,000 meter row. You should complete at least ten 10,000 meter rows over the course of a month or two, before you move on to longer training pieces. (January–February)

Building Up
Next, complete four one-hour rows and then two 20,000 meter efforts spread out over a 4 week period. Any of these rows can be completed in an interval or repetition format to make them more interesting and varied. For example, a 60 minute row can be divided up by rowing at a moderate pace for 2:30, then rowing easy for :30, and repeating this pattern. Or 20,000 meters can be done by rowing 500 meters @22 spm, 300 meters @24 spm, 200 meters @26 spm and repeating this sequence 20 times. In these longer rows, try drinking and eating a little, to see how it goes, and what tastes good and settles well. (March)

In Between the Long Rows
When you are not doing one of the longer rows in training you should be working for about 30–45 minutes, with a variety of workouts to keep the rowing lively and fresh.

Testing for Comfort
Do one 30,000 meter row 10–12 days before your marathon to alert you to any issues that must be addressed before you try the 42,195. This will give you a chance to see how well your hands and seat will do for the long haul. You should also use this longer row to test the foods and drinks that you plan to use during your marathon effort. (early April)

Taking Care of Yourself
You should always do this, but it is especially important before a marathon:

Stay well hydrated.
Listen to your body as to when to rest.
Consider rowing at different times of the day to increase the amount of time between certain workouts, for example, 7 am Tuesday and 5 pm Wednesday.
Keep track of your training and resting heart rate. If either increase away from the norm over a three-day period, the body is saying it needs rest or sickness may be around the corner.

Pacing
Pay attention to your pace as you train for the marathon. Be careful NOT to start out too hard! It always feels great when you start—especially if you are excited. However, it is important that you start at a pace that you know you will be able to maintain.

If you can row 2000 meters around 7:00 pace, you should be able to row the marathon in under 3 hours—if your body and mind can tolerate the effort for that long.

If your training pace is more like 2:15–2:20, expect your marathon to take 3:15 or longer.

Rowing a marathon is about staying focused, knowing the training is there to complete it and staying positive when the little aches and pains arise.

Comfort
Throughout your marathon preparation, pay attention to all of the following things. Be sure you know how to make yourself comfortable on the rower.

Damper setting/drag factor: It is important to know not just the damper setting, but the drag factor at which you are most comfortable rowing. For more information about Drag Factor, see this page: Drag Factor.
Seat: We find that variety is the key for seat comfort on long rows. Have a seat pad handy (call us for a free pad—sorry, US and Canada only) and several sheets of "bubble wrap." Bubble wrap works great for us!
Foot height: Be sure you know the most comfortable foot height setting for you.
Hands: We don't use gloves, but some people swear by them. If you plan to use them, be sure to test them by using them throughout your training as well. If your hands are pretty tough, but you're worried about getting some "hot spots," we again recommend keeping some pieces of bubble wrap handy. If you feel any hot spots, grab a piece and wrap it around the handle. It will offer a break from the friction.
Sweat and other bodily fluids: Have a towel handy for drying hands and face. Have tissues handy in case you need to blow your nose. Know how to find the closest bathroom in case you end up being too well-hydrated!
Stretch breaks: Sometimes a brief stretch break can really help. Try this and see if it works for you. The Performance Monitor will shut down automatically after a couple of minutes of inactivity, so be sure to keep your breaks short or keep pressing the "Change Display" button to keep the monitor alive.

Final Words of Advice
Enjoy this challenging event. If it gets so it's not fun—focus on achieving a half-marathon instead.

You don't have to race the marathon—it's enough of an achievement just to finish it!

If your first attempt is not successful—try it again another time.

GOOD LUCK!

Pre-Marathon Prep for Your
Indoor Rower
Home or individually-owned machines don't need very much regular maintenance, but if you haven't been doing any, this would be a good time to do it.

Club or institutionally-owned machines should be getting more regular maintenance. But again, if this hasn't been done, now is a great time to do it!

Wipe off the monorail.
Oil the chain.
Make sure the Performance Monitor has fresh batteries.

Marathon Food & Drink
In your training, experiment with different liquids. We suggest having both water and sports drinks (either diluted or full-strength). See what works best for you.

For energy food, we've seen everything from chocolate bars to power bars; nuts to fresh fruit. It's really important that you try some of these things in training, so you'll know what to bring for the real event. Even if you don't think you're going to want or need to eat, it's a good idea to have something handy in case you go out too hard and "hit the wall."

Environment & Entertainment
Some people like to watch videos. Others like loud music. Others, books on tape. Still others want nothing to distract them from the numbers on the Performance Monitor.

We have found that it really helps to have a group of people rowing together; but others may prefer a solo attempt.

Consider moving your indoor rower to a new location for the event. Bring it up from the basement and put it in the living room so you can feel part of the family while you row.

Again, use your training rows to determine what works best for you.

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 23rd, 2008, 11:37 am

These type of issues are near and dear to my heart.I am very long winded when it comes to them.I have trained runners and have taken courses in marathon preparation.
I am a runner wanna be..I would give anything to run a marathon and I am so in awe of those who do it.Barb of the Luna-Tics is my hero!!
Anyway..I have seen first hand what a marathon can do to people who train well and those who don't.
This in my honest opinion applies to rowers too in long distance rows.
So my words of wisdom are from what I have experienced as a fitness professional and I applaud all who accomplish this amazing task.
After March Madness and then NARC..it is a wonder at all the marathons that are being rowed.
The new season may find some very exhausted ergers.
I am cross training and find it refreshing.
Good luck to all the Timbuktu-ians and TimbukToo-ians and Timbuk2-ians on their quest for the marathon challenge.
I am cheering you ALL on!!!

Pat
B)

Lyric
Paddler

Post by Lyric » April 25th, 2008, 11:35 am

Thank you! This will give me something to shoot for next year. Maybe not a full marathon, but a half sounds do-able with enough preparation.

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » April 30th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Congrats to Bobbie..her second Marathon!!!

TimbukTOO Pride!!!

Way to Row champ!!!

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 1st, 2008, 1:16 pm

Congrats to Timbuk2-ian Khoo Kah Beng for his half marathon!!!

Congrats to Jim K..our former team mate..for his 3rd Full Marathon!!!

Impressive !!!

Pat