Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] littlebabysquirrel

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] littlebabysquirrel » July 14th, 2005, 10:39 am

Hi everyone. Just started a few weeks ago. I'm just learning how to row...Tried strapless yesterday to get some technique...flew right off the machine and landed on the dog! ha ha <br /><br />I gained close to 50 pounds over the winter (not such a little baby squirrel after all!). These posts have been my inspiration, thx to all of you. I got this machine for my boyfriend in Dec and thought it was just going to be another clothes hanger...like my treadmill is...(you can hang your shirts nicely on the arm extentions in case anyone is interested ). <br /><br />I got on his rower and I haven't stopped. I try to use it everyday. Again thx for the inspiration to keep going and all the good advice. I hope to be a big contributor soon.<br /><br />Jacquie

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 14th, 2005, 12:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Jul 13 2005, 09:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Jul 13 2005, 09:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Today, I rowed my first marathon over at the Y, and I am beat, but happy -- I guess that means I'm "upbeat". <br /><br />When I read the rowing times of everyone, I think I need to change my sign-on name to the turtle. My parts for my B are on the way. It is so much easier rowing at home where I can watch a video or TV while I row.<br /><br />The Turtle,<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> A full marathon! You better cancel your roller reorder and change it to titanium ones! Congratulations Mike, from what I've read on the forums that is a very rare thing!! If you are a turtle you must be a Leatherback sea turtle! Their migration distances are 3000 miles, the most for any turtle, so you're not just any ordinary turtle! (I think you own the beach too, no one can touch those K's you do. <br />Congrats again,<br />Mary

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 14th, 2005, 1:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-copywriter+Jul 14 2005, 04:20 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(copywriter @ Jul 14 2005, 04:20 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Mike,<br /><br />Congrats on the marathon. I'm in awe!<br /><br />Guess that problem with 5K to go was similar to the 'wall' that marathon runners talk about somewhere around the 20 mile stage? <br /><br />Afraid I've beeen very little help to the team over the last couple of weeks - kids are home from college, and while they're pefectly capable of sustaining life at university, immediately they come home they expect to find meals prepared at regular intervals, etc. Saying "Sort yourselves out, I'm off to the gym, then I'm going to have half a melon when I get back" doesn't seem to motivate them to feed themselves!<br /><br />Now have some vacation coming up, a long way from a C2, but will try to crack 500K for the season before I go.<br /><br />Keep on pulling - be nice to find we're still in front of MIT when I get back!<br /><br />Ken <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Don't worry about the meters, we're picking up members that will definitely help keep us ahead. Enjoy you vacation, mine's in a week (take note Robin!). <br />Mary<br />P.s. Isn't it ironic, I have college age kids to, same problem and they want to move out of the dorms to an apartment at school, how will they eat then? They say they'll learn. I say start practicing! (Hasn't worked yet unless you consider frozen pizza a meal.)

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 14th, 2005, 1:05 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-littlebabysquirrel+Jul 14 2005, 10:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(littlebabysquirrel @ Jul 14 2005, 10:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi everyone.  Just started a few weeks ago.  I'm just learning how to row...Tried strapless yesterday to get some technique...flew right off the machine and landed on the dog! ha ha <br /><br />I gained close to 50 pounds over the winter (not such a little baby squirrel after all!).  These posts have been my inspiration, thx to all of you.  I  got this machine for my boyfriend in Dec and thought it was just going to be another clothes hanger...like my treadmill is...(you can hang your shirts nicely on the arm extentions in case anyone is interested  ).  <br /><br />I got on his rower and I haven't stopped.  I try to use it everyday.  Again thx for the inspiration to keep going and all the good advice.  I hope to be a big contributor soon.<br /><br />Jacquie <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Welcome aboard Jacquie,<br />I hope you have a BIG dog!<br />Mary<br />

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » July 14th, 2005, 5:53 pm

500K cracked. See y'all in 10 days.<br /><br />

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » July 14th, 2005, 9:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jul 14 2005, 12:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jul 14 2005, 12:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Don't worry about the meters, we're picking up members that will definitely help keep us ahead. Enjoy your vacation, mine's in a week (take note Robin!). <br />Mary<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I got an email quote this week that kind of sums up our forum:<br /><br />"We are, each of us, angels with only one wing, and we can only fly embracing each other."<br />– Luciano Decrescenzo<br /><br />Robin reads Mary's post and laughs out loud, "duly noted...anybody want to give me a push start?"

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 14th, 2005, 10:12 pm

A cautionary tale:<br /><br />For pete's sake, what ever you do, DON'T LET YOURSELF GET OUT OF THE HABIT of rowing regularly (what ever that may be). <br /><br />Took my usual off day Monday, then a "lazy" day due to a big dinner Tuesday (as if that's a good excuse), then yesterday the little tyke got the stomache flu and we were doing everything we could to keep him hydrated.<br /><br />Today, I vowed to work out when I got home. I walked up the stairs and stared at the damn contraption. I loathed it. Geez... 4 days ago and my wife was teasing me because I was such a rowing geek. Today, I was ready to see what I could get for the thing on ebay. Moral to the story? Don't fall into the trap like I did. Make it regular. sigh.<br /><br />Fortunately for me... I picked a distance I've never rowed before (6k) and voila! a new PB. I'm a brand new rowing nerd all over again. <br /><br />BTW, congrats to the BIG DOG teammembers on the new 900k, 700, and 2 x 500ks, and 2x300ks!!! Obviously, the above cautionary tale isn't relevant to y'all!

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 14th, 2005, 10:33 pm

Another member - Welcome to the boat Diane Beckman #41.<br /><br />Kevin<br />

[old] katbois

Post by [old] katbois » July 15th, 2005, 9:28 am

Good morning all!<br /><br />I too will be taking a vacation next week - a cruise to Alaska. <br /><br />If there's a C2 on board, I plan to log the meters. If not, I promise to do my best to catch up to you all when I return. <br /><br />Good rowing everyone and keep it up. You are great motivation.<br /><br />Mark

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » July 15th, 2005, 9:56 am

I will be on vacation for two weeks beginning next seek: saltwater fly fishing for Coho on Vancouver Island, CA in Clayoquot Sound for a few days and then off to Maine to check out the trout.<br /><br />Mike

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 18th, 2005, 4:04 pm

I'm a little curious. Obviously, the he-men and she-women at the top of the board continue to work away like busy beavers.<br /><br />However, I've noticed that some of us at the bottom of the board (please note, I currently reside at the bottom of the board ) aren't really churning out the meters. As a matter of fact, it looks like some people may be in danger of falling out of the boat - so to speak. <br /><br />I know that we're in the midst of vacation season and that many of you are cross-trainers... but, I was wondering if there might be a friendly way that we could poke each other in the ribs when we haven't added any meters in a while. I'm not trying to make this into a major effort or get all big brother. But, let's be honest, this is a weight loss forum and we all know the trials and tribulations of weight loss. Would some poeple be helped if they got a little friendly (i.e., guilt inducing) email reminding them to add their meters to the board if they haven't added in a week?<br /><br />Just wondering what others thought...<br /><br />-John

[old] gaijin

Post by [old] gaijin » July 18th, 2005, 5:05 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 18 2005, 01:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 18 2005, 01:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Would some poeple be helped if they got a little friendly (i.e., guilt inducing) email reminding them to add their meters to the board if they haven't added in a week?<br /><br />Just wondering what others thought...<br /><br />-John <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Absolutely not!<br /><br />Team RPRG is successful because it is a LOOSE association of like-minded individuals.<br /><br />If people contribute meters to the Team - great.<br /><br />If people don't contribute meters - great.<br /><br />It is important that people are free to read the posts of other members for motivation. They must decide for themselves that rowing is a good decision for them this day.<br /><br />More prodding e-mails would be a negative for me resulting in less rowing or donating my meters to a less "prodding" Team.<br /><br />I'm sure there are people reading these posts who are gradually building up to that fateful decision to row on a regular basis. Let them reach that decision on their own - it will mean more to them and result in a longer term commitment.<br /><br />Just my $0.02.<br /><br />BTW: I just rowed 26,357 meters today - not all at once, but the idea to help keep the team solidly in 9th place just kept me going back to the erg (of course, a mild sense of guilt about what I ate this weekend may have had something to do with it ...).<br /><br />

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 18th, 2005, 5:32 pm

I was surprised by the strong negative reaction to my post. I think I may have touched on a nerve by framing it as being about "contributing meters" to the team. Lord knows I'm not trying to create the meter-gestapo! <br /><br />I meant my post more in the sense of "hey, haven't seen you rowing in a while. You've been missed. Can we do something to help you get back in the saddle?" I meant it in a weight loss sense, but I framed it in meter-speak because *I* would rather get an email framed that way. I have a fragile ego. <br /><br />Around my office, people frequently buddy-up to support on working out - especially when it comes to weight loss. It helps with them with motivation. I just thought maybe it could be helpful for this forum.<br /><br />Obviously, you're voting against the idea.

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » July 18th, 2005, 9:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 18 2005, 04:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 18 2005, 04:32 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I was surprised by the strong negative reaction to my post.  I think I may have touched on a nerve by framing it as being about "contributing meters" to the team.  Lord knows I'm not trying to create the meter-gestapo!  <br /><br />I meant my post more in the sense of "hey, haven't seen you rowing in a while.  You've been missed.  Can we do something to help you get back in the saddle?"  I meant it in a weight loss sense, but I framed it in meter-speak because *I* would rather get an email framed that way.  I have a fragile ego.  <br /><br />Around my office, people frequently buddy-up to support on working out - especially when it comes to weight loss.  It helps with them with motivation.  I just thought maybe it could be helpful for this forum.<br /><br />Obviously, you're voting against the idea.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Don't take it as a vote against the idea... I know that I am quite open to such encouragement... and as members of the list get to know each other I have little doubt that others might appreciate a similar nudge.... Many are lurkers and won't put their 2 cents into the discussion.... if someone doesn't care for the encouragement - that's okay... no need to get uptight about it. <br /><br />

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » July 18th, 2005, 10:03 pm

This is the start of my 3rd week back after nearly a month away... <br /><br />Kudo's to those erging maniacs at the front of the list... I have no hope of catching you or even keeping the margin in check... but all this "marathon" discussion made me consider the possibilities. I've rowed 15k a time or two, but usually was quite satisfied with my 5 & 10k workouts... <br /><br />Saturday I did my 1st 1/2 marathon... (I never would have made it without the bubble-wrap on my seat and handle).... Came back yesterday and did another 12k+<br /><br />Then tonight a light 5k and I crossed over the 3 million meter mark (which I planned on doing by the end of May... if not for my cursed lower back). Now I'm hoping to cross over 4 million by the end of this season... While the Tour de France is carrying me through July, NCAA basketball really gets me through the winter. <br /><br /> I'll probably try the marathon sometime in August before school starts back up... I'm hoping the YMCA across the street from my work might let me use their model D... I doubt if I will ever get rid of my model B, but the difference in the D and the monitor ought to add enough attraction to keep my interest for the 3-4 hours it will likely take me to do a marathon<br /><br />Those of you in the neighborhood of 220,000 meters - I need you to keep me honest and working, so please KEEP ROWING!!!! <br /><br />Those of you in the early 300's can take a week or two off, otherwise I might not ever catch you... <br /><br />Jim<br /><br />P.S. I just found a picture from my erging prime... probably 1988 or 89... if only I'd have kept it up... there is no telling how many million meters I'd have rowed by now... and I'm sure that weight loss wouldn't be so much on the forefront of my mind. I hope to get it digitized this week and on the website... It seems to me that pictures might aid in getting to know one another - and make it easier to know who wants and/or needs a swift kick in the seat to get back to rowing (without becoming a rowing nazi - of course!)