Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] gaijin

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] gaijin » July 8th, 2005, 1:14 pm

Greetings fellow Team RPRG members!<br /><br />I've been lurking for awhile, and felt it was about time I let you all know how important your motivation (albeit Virtual) is to me.<br /><br />I bought my first "erg" in 1982 while I was living in Japan. It had bicycle spokes, plastic vanes for cooling, I could even change the resistance by moving the chain to one of three drive sprockets. It wasn't much, but it kept me in better shape than I would have been otherwise.<br /><br />So last year when the years, the pounds and the inactivity started to catch up with me, I decided to hop back on the latest model D and see if it could still work its magic.<br /><br />Well, as you all know, an exercise plan without motivation is destined to fail. I rowed some in August and September, but after about 140 Km I just let it go.<br /><br />Then in March of this year, I decided enough was enough. I weighed 283.4 pounds, had little energy and did not feel well in general. Back on the erg.<br /><br />I stumbled across this forum and read the posts about Team RPRG, and especially the enthusiasm of members like NurseBobbi. Suddenly the decision whether to row in the morning became more than a personal decision. If I don't row, I let my team down - not going to happen.<br /><br />I'm down to 219 pounds, feel great, and will reach 1 million meters soon (well, 674,000 now, maybe by September?).<br /><br />Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and support.<br /><br />Being Dutch by ancestry, I have mixed feelings about passing their team in the rankings, but GO TEAM RPRG!<br /><br />Bill Haag<br />

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » July 8th, 2005, 1:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-gaijin+Jul 8 2005, 01:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(gaijin @ Jul 8 2005, 01:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Greetings fellow Team RPRG members!<br /><br />I've been lurking for awhile, and felt it was about time I let you all know how important your motivation (albeit Virtual) is to me...<br />Bill Haag <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='color:green'>Hi, Bill,<br /><br />Thanks for coming out of lurk mode and introducing yourself. I've been wondering about the guy who recently blew past me! Congratulations on your success. Your story is impressive.</span>

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » July 8th, 2005, 7:54 pm

I agree this site is a wonderful motivating tool. It has been a rough week for me, recovering from a head cold, and a minor c2 monitor problem. The last two days I've tried to get on and row, but had no staminia at all and had to stop after a couple thousand meters which was very annoying and discouraging. But I have kept an eye on the forums and team standings. <br /><br />Seeing that we all have ups and downs, having a little good natured competiveness, a team spirit of support for a common goal (meters gained and weight loss) and workout tips - including the ones about not over-doing it. All are very helpful in keeping me on track and not giving in to that little voice that says, give up.<br /><br />Tonight keeping that in mind I got on for my 3rd 10K try this week and was "finally" able to complete it by focusing on keeping the workout <i>very </i>low intensity. I felt really good at the end. No ill after effects with a little endorphin rush from completing a goal. <br /><br />So Team, keep up the good work!<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » July 8th, 2005, 8:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RockinRobin+Jul 8 2005, 04:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RockinRobin @ Jul 8 2005, 04:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I agree this site is a wonderful motivating tool.  It has been a rough week for me, recovering from a head cold, and a minor c2 monitor problem.  The last two days I've tried to get on and row, but had no staminia at all and had to stop after a couple thousand meters which was very annoying and discouraging.  But I have kept an eye on the forums and team standings. <br /><br />Seeing that we all have ups and downs, having a little good natured competiveness, a team spirit of support for a common goal (meters gained and weight loss) and workout tips - including the ones about not over-doing it.  All are very helpful in keeping me on track and not giving in to that little voice that says, give up.<br /><br />Tonight keeping that in mind I got on for my 3rd 10K try this week and was "finally" able to complete it by focusing on keeping the workout <i>very </i>low intensity.  I felt really good at the end.  No ill after effects with a little endorphin rush from completing a goal.  <br /><br />So Team, keep up the good work! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Excellent, Robin. To begin with, it is important to go slow and concentrate on proper form. If your form needs help, then it will be difficult to go for the long rows.<br /><br />After watching some of the videos posted, and working on my own form, I find it interesting that when/if I use the proper form I can row faster with less effort -- wait, that's precisely what everyone says. <br /><br />Slow and easy, and steady as she goes is the rule for our boat. <br /><br />Mike

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 9th, 2005, 12:21 pm

Another member: Lana Pace. Welcome to the boat Lana.<br /><br />Good rowing to you.<br /><br />Kevin<br />

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 9th, 2005, 4:37 pm

I know that I'm new to this rowing thing (8 days now ), but why didn't anyone warn me about 10,000?! I read about you guys doing 10k in am and 10k in pm; you make it sound "easy."<br /><br />Well, I did my first 10,000 today and it kicked my butt around the room. My fanny hurt. I was dying of thirst. I got bored for the first time (erg in guest room with no music or tv). And, I swear I found my first gray hair less than 30 minutes after completing the row.<br /><br />It gets better eventually, right?

[old] Citroen

Post by [old] Citroen » July 9th, 2005, 5:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 9 2005, 09:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 9 2005, 09:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My fanny hurt.  I was dying of thirst.  I got bored for the first time (erg in guest room with no music or tv).  And, I swear I found my first gray hair less than 30 minutes after completing the row.<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><i>Excuse me butting in on the Row Pain, Row Gain thread.</i><br /><br />Well done on completing the first of the long distances. Next target is the 60minute row.<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 9 2005, 09:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 9 2005, 09:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It gets better eventually, right?  </td></tr></table><br /><br />Only when you do the 42,195 marathon. <br /><br />Concept2 then send you a marathon mug (my mug arrived in the mail this week). <br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/training/mot ... honind.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/training/mot ... asp</a><br />which arrived on Friday, just after I'd done a 6K PB and made my day.<br /><br />I was always told to "NEVER let the back of your throat go dry" when exercising. For my first half marathon (21097m) and my first (only) marathon. I stopped rowing after every 5,300m to drink, dry off and shuffle my bum (I can't use the term "fanny" as it is incredibly rude over here in the United Kingdom). That reduced the boredom, as I was watching the PM2 waiting for the next 5,300m to go by. For the Marathon I printed a sheet of paper with the 5,300m split distances and stuck it on the wall behind the erg.<br /><br />Now that I'm doing more regular HMs I do them non-stop. I'm planning on doing my next FM on Sept 10th and will row that without scheduled stops - I'll make sure I'm well hydrated before I start then drink on demand. I also used SIS PSP 22 carbohydrate sports drink for both those distances to avoid glycogen depletion.<br /><br />HTH<br /><br />

[old] rowmantic

Post by [old] rowmantic » July 9th, 2005, 8:32 pm

I was always told to "NEVER let the back of your throat go dry" when exercising. For my first half marathon (21097m) and my first (only) marathon.<br /><br /><br />Now that I'm doing more regular HMs I do them non-stop. I'm planning on doing my next FM on Sept 10th and will row that without scheduled stops - I'll make sure I'm well hydrated before I start then drink on demand. I also used SIS PSP 22 carbohydrate sports drink for both those distances to avoid glycogen depletion.<br /><br /><br /><br />Jal183, only 8 days of using the erg and you did a 10k.... very impressive. I would certainly concur with Citroen about not letting your throat go dry while exercising. I keep a water bottle within reach when I use the erg. I can even keep rowing, albeit much slower, while getting a drink of water. Did you just row steady state for the 10K? To combat boredom, you might trying rowing a pyramid of stroke ratings so that you have something to keep your mind occuppied. Perhaps varying your SPM every 1,000m. For example, 18 spm, 20 spm, 22spm, 24 spm, 26 spm, 24 spm, 22 spm, 20 spm, 18 spm, 20 spm. Or you could try rowing hard for one minute and then easy for a minute....just some ideas to combat the boredom. Of course, an ipod of your favorite music strapped to your arm wouldn't hurt either. <br />~Grace

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » July 9th, 2005, 9:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 9 2005, 01:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 9 2005, 01:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I know that I'm new to this rowing thing (8 days now ), but why didn't anyone warn me about 10,000?!  I read about you guys doing 10k in am and 10k in pm; you make it sound "easy."<br /><br />Well, I did my first 10,000 today and it kicked my butt around the room.  My fanny hurt.  I was dying of thirst.  I got bored for the first time (erg in guest room with no music or tv).  And, I swear I found my first gray hair less than 30 minutes after completing the row.<br /><br />It gets better eventually, right?  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />It does get better. In May, I couldn't row more than 15 minutes without taking a break; then it was 20 minutes, then 30; now (July) I can row 90 minutes without a break. Congratulations on the 10K!<br /><br />Mike

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » July 9th, 2005, 9:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 9 2005, 03:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 9 2005, 03:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Well, I did my first 10,000 today and it kicked my butt around the room.  My fanny hurt.  I was dying of thirst.  I got bored for the first time (erg in guest room with no music or tv).  <br />It gets better eventually, right?  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations on your first 10K! I've been rowing for a little over a month and my first 10k pretty much did the same for me. I think it is becasue we didn't know what to expect...what pace to row, etc. But it does get better. Now it is my favorite row and try to do 2 or 3 a week if possible.<br /><br />I keep water within arms reach, a towell to dry off with, and always have either music or tv on as a distraction. Oh yeah...and a folded towell on the seat, pads it a little better. The "glutes" will adapt, lol. <br /><br />Good luck, but don't over do it!

[old] mpukita

Post by [old] mpukita » July 9th, 2005, 10:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RockinRobin+Jul 9 2005, 09:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RockinRobin @ Jul 9 2005, 09:34 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 9 2005, 03:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 9 2005, 03:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Well, I did my first 10,000 today and it kicked my butt around the room.  My fanny hurt.  I was dying of thirst.  I got bored for the first time (erg in guest room with no music or tv).  <br />It gets better eventually, right?   <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations on your first 10K! I've been rowing for a little over a month and my first 10k pretty much did the same for me. I think it is becasue we didn't know what to expect...what pace to row, etc. But it does get better. Now it is my favorite row and try to do 2 or 3 a week if possible.<br /><br />I keep water within arms reach, a towell to dry off with, and always have either music or tv on as a distraction. Oh yeah...and a folded towell on the seat, pads it a little better. The "glutes" will adapt, lol. <br /><br />Good luck, but don't over do it! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Robin:<br /><br />Il suo Italiano e' molto buono!<br /><br />-- Mark<br /><br /> <br />

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 10th, 2005, 9:09 am

Thanks so much for the congrats on the 10k and I'm going to take your suggestions to heart.<br /><br />1) Towel for rear end<br />2) Pyramid approach to keep it interesting (love this idea)<br />3) Take short breaks until I've had a chance to improve a bit more<br />4) TV or Music to distract<br />5) DRINK WATER.<br /><br />Now, for the water one. I'm sensing that you don't actuall stop, but that you row one handed while sucking down water from a water bottle. Correct? I nearly fell of when I tried to row one handed before while reaching for buttons on the PM3. I assume it's a skill that one develops. <br /><br />Thanks again!

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 10th, 2005, 10:07 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 10 2005, 08:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 10 2005, 08:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Now, for the water one.  I'm sensing that you don't actuall stop, but that you row one handed while sucking down water from a water bottle.  Correct?  I nearly fell of when I tried to row one handed before while reaching for buttons on the PM3. assume it's a skill that one develops.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I don't know about others but I stop to drink on my long rows. I also drink a mixture of 2/3 gatorade and 1/3 water.<br /><br />If I didn't stop I might be able to break 90 minutes for the 1/2 marathon but I'd be pretty parched. As it is it my best at that distance is 90:33. I need to drink. I also change shirts at the halfway point. C2 sells a pad for the seat. I use it. <a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/extras.asp' target='_blank'>Link to accessories</a>

[old] SeaRay

Post by [old] SeaRay » July 10th, 2005, 11:23 am

<br /> And, I swear I found my first gray hair less than 30 minutes after completing the row.<br /><br />It gets better eventually, right? <br /><br /><br /><br />I guess that's the "Rogain" portion of the club!<br /><br />as for the water comment, I think the answer is stop and drink. drink alot. I just finished a second 10k (about an hour rest) and I stopped three times each. i was drenched. my heartrate stayed pretty high for the 30 seconds that it took to grab the water bottle. I need a nap now!

[old] Citroen

Post by [old] Citroen » July 10th, 2005, 11:26 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 10 2005, 02:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 10 2005, 02:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Now, for the water one.  I'm sensing that you don't actuall stop, but that you row one handed while sucking down water from a water bottle.  Correct?  I nearly fell of when I tried to row one handed before while reaching for buttons on the PM3.  I assume it's a skill that one develops.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm left handed, so I use my left hand to lift a cycling water bottle. With my right hand I loop the index finder to the left of the D-ring that holds the chain. I also drop down to 6m strokes at 15SPM. It's just enough to keep the metres ticking down but not all out power stuff.<br /><br />I have thought about using a camelbak <a href='http://www.camelbak.com/rec/recreation.cfm' target='_blank'>http://www.camelbak.com/rec/recreation.cfm</a> so I can drink and row at full pace.<br />