Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] copywriter

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] copywriter » July 7th, 2005, 7:28 pm

Back on the chain gang after 10 days of travel and some slight illness. It's amazing how rusty you get, 6000 metres tonight and I felt like a wreck. Things can only get better!<br /><br />Well done everybody for getting in front of our friends from the Low Country, and also MIT's propellor heads. <br /><br />Eighth place looks distinctly possible!

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » July 7th, 2005, 7:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jul 7 2005, 03:38 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jul 7 2005, 03:38 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Jul 7 2005, 02:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Jul 7 2005, 02:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Hi, guys,<br /><br />You've all been quite busy while I've been away! And we've got quite a few new members--welcome! I see that our newest member has put us into 9th place, ahead of MIT. Yeah!  <br /><br />So last week, I watched the Oarsome Foursome DVD that C2 sends out with the new rowers. (My sister just bought one.) I then proceeded to go overboard. I rowed over 10K two days in a row and set new PBs for 5000 and 2000 meters. I also tried some strapless rowing. The problem was that I really pushed too hard given my arthritis and level of conditioning. I was fatigued and my joints ached much more than usual. I tried backing off and rowing less time and at less intensity for a couple of days, but I still felt like a slug, so I took a couple of days off. It turned into a week, partly because I worked or was busy with Lab Rescue over the holiday weekend. <br /><br />The week off was good, though, because now I know what my baseline level of joint discomfort is. It'll be easier for me to know now whether I'm just having a bad arthritis day or whether I've overdone my activity. I rowed for 30 minutes this morning and I can feel it, but it's a good feeling--not like the aching I had last week. </span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Slow and easy, and steady as she goes is the rule for our boat. We don't need any team members going overboard. <br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Great Advice! <br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />My boat just crashed. *%!@# <br /><br />I have a B which I have had for about 10 years, and today while attempting a HM at 14786 a bearing went out on one of the seat rollers. It took me a while to figure out why my seat wouldn't slide, but after trying to tighten and loosen the nuts on the rollers, I finally noticed that two of the rollers spun without any friction and one didn't -- looking at it I could see the bearings were loose, the cap smashed, etc. So, I have to place an order and let my erg rest. I remember seeing two erg C's at the local Y so I should be able to get in some more meters while I wait for the replacement part, but not the number I usually do at home. Hmmm, replace the bearings or buy a D, that is the question. <br /><br />Sorry to let our team down vis-a-vis the number of metres in our battle to maintain 9th place. (Now to wash the black whatever from the rollers off my hands, and place my order.)<br /><br />Mike

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 7th, 2005, 7:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->So, I have to place an order and let my erg rest. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Mike:<br /><br />Your erg needs the rest. You've put a pot full of meters on the thing this past month. <br /><br />Kevin

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » July 7th, 2005, 8:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-SpaCityBulldog+Jul 7 2005, 04:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SpaCityBulldog @ Jul 7 2005, 04:34 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->So, I have to place an order and let my erg rest. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Mike:<br /><br />Your erg needs the rest. You've put a pot full of meters on the thing this past month. <br /><br />Kevin <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Kevin. <br /><br />I think that's how I sank it -- more meters in the past month than almost the entire time I have had it (at least since 1994-1995 when I used to row every day). Looks like it's out of action for about 10 days or so vis-a-vis delivery time for the parts. I think I'll upgrade it with a PM3 and a new handle while I'm at it.<br /><br />I'm going to the Y tonight to check out whether the C's are still there.<br /><br />Mike

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 7th, 2005, 8:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Looks like it's out of action for about 10 days or so vis-a-vis delivery time for the parts. I think I'll upgrade it with a PM3 and a new handle while I'm at it.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well then it looks like you'll be set to pick back up when I take off for a week to see my sister in NC.<br /><br />The black stuff. I don't know where it comes from either but I clean mine about every other workout. I use Windex - put some on a paper towel and hold it against the runners while moving the seat back and forth.<br /><br />Kevin<br /><br />

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » July 7th, 2005, 8:41 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Jul 7 2005, 07:29 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Jul 7 2005, 07:29 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />My boat just crashed. *%!@#  <br /><br />I have a B which I have had for about 10 years, and today while attempting a HM at 14786 a bearing went out on one of the seat rollers. It took me a while to figure out why my seat wouldn't slide, but after trying to tighten and loosen the nuts on the rollers, I finally noticed that two of the rollers spun without any friction and one didn't -- looking at it I could see the bearings were loose, the cap smashed, etc. So, I have to place an order and let my erg rest. I remember seeing two erg C's at the local Y so I should be able to get in some more meters while I wait for the replacement part, but not the number I usually do at home. Hmmm, replace the bearings or buy a D, that is the question. <br /><br />Sorry to let our team down vis-a-vis the number of metres in our battle to maintain 9th place. (Now to wash the black whatever from the rollers off my hands, and place my order.)<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='color:green'>Hi, Mike,<br /><br />Sorry your erg is ill. I have a Model B, too. I replaced the seat rollers and hardware in May or June. My orders from C2 have always come very quickly--generally within a few days--but I know I'm closer to them than you are. I've upgraded the monitor and handle, too. You'll love the PM3!<br /><br />Have fun at the Y. My gym has a Model C, and my sister just got a Model D. Both are quieter and easier than my erg, but I'm rather attached to it. Besides, I like to row at home with the dogs hanging around in the rec room with me.</span>

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 7th, 2005, 8:52 pm

We've had a lot of people join since the last call for some pictures so here's a plug for all of you who haven't sent one in yet. How 'bout it guys and gals? Let's put some faces with the names.<br /><br />Kevin<br />

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » July 7th, 2005, 9:40 pm

A big howdy and welcome to Ray and Grace! It's much more fun with more boats in the water <br /><br />And someone rowed past me at a furious pace and blew my hat off again.....was that you Mary?!! Maybe I need to go watch a couple of those Xeno dvd's and see if I can catch you...<br /><br />Robin

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 7th, 2005, 9:42 pm

Want to thank my fellow teammates RPRG, had talked myself out of rowing today just because-no reason just too lazy I guess to go to the gym.After reading all the problems and aches of others; felt guilty and decided tonight to just row an easy pace 10K. I feel great now that I did. Thanks for the virtual motivation!<br />Mary<br />

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 7th, 2005, 9:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RockinRobin+Jul 7 2005, 09:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RockinRobin @ Jul 7 2005, 09:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->A big howdy and welcome to Ray and Grace!  It's much more fun with more boats in the water <br /><br />And someone rowed past me at a furious pace and blew my hat off again.....was that you Mary?!!  Maybe I need to go watch a couple of those Xeno dvd's and see if I can catch you...<br /><br />Robin <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Actually I was moving so slowly, I quietly snuck by you with no wake at all. Fortunately for me its total meters and not time or I would be in last place!<br />Mary

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 7th, 2005, 9:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Jul 7 2005, 07:29 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Jul 7 2005, 07:29 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jul 7 2005, 03:38 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jul 7 2005, 03:38 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Jul 7 2005, 02:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Jul 7 2005, 02:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Hi, guys,<br /><br />You've all been quite busy while I've been away! And we've got quite a few new members--welcome! I see that our newest member has put us into 9th place, ahead of MIT. Yeah!  <br /><br />So last week, I watched the Oarsome Foursome DVD that C2 sends out with the new rowers. (My sister just bought one.) I then proceeded to go overboard. I rowed over 10K two days in a row and set new PBs for 5000 and 2000 meters. I also tried some strapless rowing. The problem was that I really pushed too hard given my arthritis and level of conditioning. I was fatigued and my joints ached much more than usual. I tried backing off and rowing less time and at less intensity for a couple of days, but I still felt like a slug, so I took a couple of days off. It turned into a week, partly because I worked or was busy with Lab Rescue over the holiday weekend. <br /><br />The week off was good, though, because now I know what my baseline level of joint discomfort is. It'll be easier for me to know now whether I'm just having a bad arthritis day or whether I've overdone my activity. I rowed for 30 minutes this morning and I can feel it, but it's a good feeling--not like the aching I had last week. </span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Slow and easy, and steady as she goes is the rule for our boat. We don't need any team members going overboard. <br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Great Advice! <br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />My boat just crashed. *%!@# <br /><br />I have a B which I have had for about 10 years, and today while attempting a HM at 14786 a bearing went out on one of the seat rollers. It took me a while to figure out why my seat wouldn't slide, but after trying to tighten and loosen the nuts on the rollers, I finally noticed that two of the rollers spun without any friction and one didn't -- looking at it I could see the bearings were loose, the cap smashed, etc. So, I have to place an order and let my erg rest. I remember seeing two erg C's at the local Y so I should be able to get in some more meters while I wait for the replacement part, but not the number I usually do at home. Hmmm, replace the bearings or buy a D, that is the question. <br /><br />Sorry to let our team down vis-a-vis the number of metres in our battle to maintain 9th place. (Now to wash the black whatever from the rollers off my hands, and place my order.)<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br />If you are the Mike Sanders on our team, I know what the black stuff is, it is melted rubber from the rollers, you are smokin on there you are going so fast. I think those are only 8ooK rated rollers! You wore out the tread!<br />Mary

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 7th, 2005, 11:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Jul 7 2005, 04:29 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Jul 7 2005, 04:29 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My boat just crashed. *%!@#  <br /><br />I have a B which I have had for about 10 years, and today while attempting a HM at 14786 a bearing went out on one of the seat rollers. It took me a while to figure out why my seat wouldn't slide, but after trying to tighten and loosen the nuts on the rollers, I finally noticed that two of the rollers spun without any friction and one didn't -- looking at it I could see the bearings were loose, the cap smashed, etc. So, I have to place an order and let my erg rest.<br /> </td></tr></table><br />Since you have the B, you can switch the bottom roller with the one that went out.<br /><br />Put the broken roller in the farthest bottom hole under the seat. It won't roll from there anyway, but will keep the seat from coming off of the railing. <br /><br />This should keep you going till the new roller arrives.<br />

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » July 7th, 2005, 11:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jul 7 2005, 08:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ Jul 7 2005, 08:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Jul 7 2005, 04:29 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Jul 7 2005, 04:29 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My boat just crashed. *%!@#  <br /><br />I have a B which I have had for about 10 years, and today while attempting a HM at 14786 a bearing went out on one of the seat rollers. It took me a while to figure out why my seat wouldn't slide, but after trying to tighten and loosen the nuts on the rollers, I finally noticed that two of the rollers spun without any friction and one didn't -- looking at it I could see the bearings were loose, the cap smashed, etc. So, I have to place an order and let my erg rest.<br /> </td></tr></table><br />Since you have the B, you can switch the bottom roller with the one that went out.<br /><br />Put the broken roller in the farthest bottom hole under the seat. It won't roll from there anyway, but will keep the seat from coming off of the railing. <br /><br />This should keep you going till the new roller arrives. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I was wondering about whether that would work. I'll try it. In the meantime, I discovered a couple of model C's at the Y -- sweet compared to my B. The model D must be awesome.<br /><br />I'll use some windex on them too.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Mike

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » July 7th, 2005, 11:58 pm

<br />[/quote]<br />If you are the Mike Sanders on our team, I know what the black stuff is, it is melted rubber from the rollers, you are smokin on there you are going so fast. I think those are only 8ooK rated rollers! You wore out the tread!<br />Mary <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mary,<br /><br />You are so funny. I love it. I think you are right, they are only 800k rated rollers.<br /><br />Thanks for the encouragement.<br /><br />Mike

[old] SeaRay

Post by [old] SeaRay » July 8th, 2005, 10:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jul 7 2005, 06:38 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jul 7 2005, 06:38 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Jul 7 2005, 02:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Jul 7 2005, 02:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Hi, guys,<br /><br />You've all been quite busy while I've been away! And we've got quite a few new members--welcome! I see that our newest member has put us into 9th place, ahead of MIT. Yeah!  <br /><br />So last week, I watched the Oarsome Foursome DVD that C2 sends out with the new rowers. (My sister just bought one.) I then proceeded to go overboard. I rowed over 10K two days in a row and set new PBs for 5000 and 2000 meters. I also tried some strapless rowing. The problem was that I really pushed too hard given my arthritis and level of conditioning. I was fatigued and my joints ached much more than usual. I tried backing off and rowing less time and at less intensity for a couple of days, but I still felt like a slug, so I took a couple of days off. It turned into a week, partly because I worked or was busy with Lab Rescue over the holiday weekend. <br /><br />The week off was good, though, because now I know what my baseline level of joint discomfort is. It'll be easier for me to know now whether I'm just having a bad arthritis day or whether I've overdone my activity. I rowed for 30 minutes this morning and I can feel it, but it's a good feeling--not like the aching I had last week. </span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Slow and easy, and steady as she goes is the rule for our boat. We don't need any team members going overboard. <br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Great Advice! <br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />hey everyone,<br />I just completed my first 10k (49.50.9 mins) and I finished strong. I did it strapless after reading Xeno's posts, and really got into it. I am happy I bought the machine, and this group is great motivation. I wasn't sitting in my basement torturing myself...I was contributing points to a great group of people on a mission! it's only my 4th day, but I see this as a lifestyle. might jump on tonight, but not certain that its smart to push it. regards,<br /><br />Ray