Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] ancho

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] ancho » July 7th, 2005, 5:03 am

Well' I don't row 16,500 a day, but I also have lost 12 kg since I started rowing/erging (again) in january. You just need to be consistent.<br />Hennie, be careful: If you lose those 10 more kg, you will have to pass twice before we see you .<br />Do you want to rank as a LWT?<br /><br />rowrowrow

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 7th, 2005, 9:34 am

<!--QuoteBegin-hennmart+Jul 7 2005, 03:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hennmart @ Jul 7 2005, 03:30 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Congratulation with your 10th place. I saw that there where 6 new members (from 29 to 35)    Well I have to say that we can’t beat that, but don’t worry we going to try it  (after the vacations)<br /><br />I lost more than 18 kg the last 7 months and I have to thank my erg for it    For the past 6 months I rowed every day an average of 16,500K.. I still have to lose an other 10 kg. so I still have to row a considerable distance  <br /><br />So my friends row and you will lose those kilograms (and stay at the 10th or 9th place). <br /><br />Row, row, row and row!!<br /><br />Hennie  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />OK. I understand this is a numbers game, and RPRG is adding to its meter total by bumping its membership. It also helps when the Dutch have people on vacation. <br /><br />HOWEVER, I'm impressed by the good-natured competition. It's a lot of fun to get on the erg when I'm trying to help our boat catch the Dutch (or try to maintain a slight lead). Makes the otherwise crappy weight-loss exercise a little less tedious.<br /><br />So, let's hear it for healthy competition!<br /><br />A side note,: Dutch team members, I've heard that Bora Bora is lovely this time of year - might be able to get a reduced rate if you all went. Although, I don't think they have any rowing machines on the island. Oh well. <br />

[old] whp4

Post by [old] whp4 » July 7th, 2005, 11:22 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 7 2005, 01:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 7 2005, 01:34 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-hennmart+Jul 7 2005, 03:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hennmart @ Jul 7 2005, 03:30 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Congratulation with your 10th place. I saw that there where 6 new members (from 29 to 35)    Well I have to say that we can’t beat that, but don’t worry we going to try it  (after the vacations)<br /><br />I lost more than 18 kg the last 7 months and I have to thank my erg for it    For the past 6 months I rowed every day an average of 16,500K.. I still have to lose an other 10 kg. so I still have to row a considerable distance  <br /><br />So my friends row and you will lose those kilograms (and stay at the 10th or 9th place). <br /><br />Row, row, row and row!!<br /><br />Hennie  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />OK. I understand this is a numbers game, and RPRG is adding to its meter total by bumping its membership. It also helps when the Dutch have people on vacation. <br /><br />HOWEVER, I'm impressed by the good-natured competition. It's a lot of fun to get on the erg when I'm trying to help our boat catch the Dutch (or try to maintain a slight lead). Makes the otherwise crappy weight-loss exercise a little less tedious.<br /><br />So, let's hear it for healthy competition!<br /><br />A side note,: Dutch team members, I've heard that Bora Bora is lovely this time of year - might be able to get a reduced rate if you all went. Although, I don't think they have any rowing machines on the island. Oh well. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, we'd only need one machine for every 8 of us - our big day a week or two ago was a relay! Only one of us rowing at any given time in that 24 hour period...<br /><br />Bill<br />

[old] SeaRay

Post by [old] SeaRay » July 7th, 2005, 11:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jul 6 2005, 10:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jul 6 2005, 10:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 5 2005, 04:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 5 2005, 04:49 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jun 8 2005, 03:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jun 8 2005, 03:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Hey, Team,<br /><br />We've got our 21st member and are now in 12th place! Welcome William Haag.<br /><br />I notice only two of us have pictures posted. How about the rest of you e-mailing pics in? Hmm?</span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Just joined! hope to contribute the meters, and hope to lose a meter! where can I get a workout plan that will start me on the right path?<br /><br />regards,<br /><br />Ray <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Welcome Ray to RPRG<br />The more the merrier! Check all the forums and info on the concept website for workouts galour. Take it slow and build up first, intermittant sprints etc. Keep long rows every other day at best if you are new (like me) or the tendinitis seems to creep in. Good Luck, Row ON!<br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Mary, I have been reading through the website, good stuff. I am a bit compulsive and want to row everyday, but I am taking today off, due to a sore back. do you have a C2 at home or are you a Gym rower?<br /><br />Ray<br />

[old] rowmantic

Post by [old] rowmantic » July 7th, 2005, 12:19 pm

Hi All<br /> I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I got back into rowing in 2000. At that point in my life I was 40 pounds heavier than I am now and I was unable to walk a 1/4 of a mile without being winded. It occurred to me that one day my sons would have to tell their friends that their mother died from being overweight and out of shape. 5 years later, I still have another 20 pounds I would like to shed, but I can run for an hour or more without being winded. I got on an erg in January of 2000. I kept a log of sorts, a scratch piece of paper that I still have. I was lucky to have been able to row for 10 minutes not all at once mind you. It was more like a minute here and then another minute . I am pretty sure I took a long nap after that 10 minutes.<br /> I now erg 5 days a week and row on the water one day a week. I would love to really lose those last 20 pounds. I am hoping by joining your group you will help inspire me to get back on the weight loss track. <br />~Grace

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » July 7th, 2005, 12:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rowmantic+Jul 7 2005, 12:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rowmantic @ Jul 7 2005, 12:19 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All<br />    I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.  I got back into rowing in 2000.  At that point in my life I was 40 pounds heavier than I am now and I was unable to walk a 1/4 of a mile without being winded.  It occurred to me that one day my sons would have to tell their friends that their mother died from being overweight and out of shape.    5 years later, I still have another 20 pounds I would like to shed, but I can run for an hour or more without being winded.  I got on an erg in January of 2000.  I kept a log of sorts, a scratch piece of paper that I still have.    I was lucky to have been able to row for 10 minutes not all at once mind you.  It was more like a minute here and then another minute .  I am pretty sure I took a long nap after that 10 minutes.<br />  I now erg 5 days a week and row on the water one day a week.  I would love to really lose those last 20 pounds.  I am hoping by joining your group you will help inspire me to get back on the weight loss track.  <br />~Grace <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><span style='color:green'>Welcome, Grace! Your success is truly inspirational. This is a very supportive group, which helps me a great deal. It sounds like you're in terrific shape. Are you sure you still need to lose more, especially that much more? </span>

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 7th, 2005, 12:56 pm

Welcome to the boat Grace. Cute User Name and you pushed us to 9th.<br /><br />Kevin

[old] rowmantic

Post by [old] rowmantic » July 7th, 2005, 1:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jul 7 2005, 11:55 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jul 7 2005, 11:55 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-rowmantic+Jul 7 2005, 12:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rowmantic @ Jul 7 2005, 12:19 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All<br />    I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.  I got back into rowing in 2000.  At that point in my life I was 40 pounds heavier than I am now and I was unable to walk a 1/4 of a mile without being winded.  It occurred to me that one day my sons would have to tell their friends that their mother died from being overweight and out of shape.    5 years later, I still have another 20 pounds I would like to shed, but I can run for an hour or more without being winded.  I got on an erg in January of 2000.  I kept a log of sorts, a scratch piece of paper that I still have.    I was lucky to have been able to row for 10 minutes not all at once mind you.  It was more like a minute here and then another minute .  I am pretty sure I took a long nap after that 10 minutes.<br />  I now erg 5 days a week and row on the water one day a week.  I would love to really lose those last 20 pounds.  I am hoping by joining your group you will help inspire me to get back on the weight loss track.  <br />~Grace <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><span style='color:green'>Welcome, Grace! Your success is truly inspirational. This is a very supportive group, which helps me a great deal. It sounds like you're in terrific shape. Are you sure you still need to lose more, especially that much more? </span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] rowmantic

Post by [old] rowmantic » July 7th, 2005, 1:08 pm

<br />Thanks for the welcomes. And, yes, NurseBobbi, I really and truly do need to lose another 20 pounds if not another 30, but will settle for 20. <br />~Grace<br /><br /><br />

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » July 7th, 2005, 1:12 pm

<span style='color:green'>Hi, guys,<br /><br />You've all been quite busy while I've been away! And we've got quite a few new members--welcome! I see that our newest member has put us into 9th place, ahead of MIT. Yeah! <br /><br />So last week, I watched the Oarsome Foursome DVD that C2 sends out with the new rowers. (My sister just bought one.) I then proceeded to go overboard. I rowed over 10K two days in a row and set new PBs for 5000 and 2000 meters. I also tried some strapless rowing. The problem was that I really pushed too hard given my arthritis and level of conditioning. I was fatigued and my joints ached much more than usual. I tried backing off and rowing less time and at less intensity for a couple of days, but I still felt like a slug, so I took a couple of days off. It turned into a week, partly because I worked or was busy with Lab Rescue over the holiday weekend. <br /><br />The week off was good, though, because now I know what my baseline level of joint discomfort is. It'll be easier for me to know now whether I'm just having a bad arthritis day or whether I've overdone my activity. I rowed for 30 minutes this morning and I can feel it, but it's a good feeling--not like the aching I had last week. </span>

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » July 7th, 2005, 2:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Hi, guys,<br /><br />You've all been quite busy while I've been away! And we've got quite a few new members--welcome! I see that our newest member has put us into 9th place, ahead of MIT. Yeah!  <br /><br />So last week, I watched the Oarsome Foursome DVD that C2 sends out with the new rowers. (My sister just bought one.) I then proceeded to go overboard. I rowed over 10K two days in a row and set new PBs for 5000 and 2000 meters. I also tried some strapless rowing. The problem was that I really pushed too hard given my arthritis and level of conditioning. I was fatigued and my joints ached much more than usual. I tried backing off and rowing less time and at less intensity for a couple of days, but I still felt like a slug, so I took a couple of days off. It turned into a week, partly because I worked or was busy with Lab Rescue over the holiday weekend. <br /><br />The week off was good, though, because now I know what my baseline level of joint discomfort is. It'll be easier for me to know now whether I'm just having a bad arthritis day or whether I've overdone my activity. I rowed for 30 minutes this morning and I can feel it, but it's a good feeling--not like the aching I had last week. </span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Slow and easy, and steady as she goes is the rule for our boat. We don't need any team members going overboard. <br /><br />Mike<br />

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 7th, 2005, 6:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 7 2005, 11:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 7 2005, 11:44 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jul 6 2005, 10:50 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jul 6 2005, 10:50 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 5 2005, 04:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 5 2005, 04:49 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jun 8 2005, 03:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jun 8 2005, 03:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Hey, Team,<br /><br />We've got our 21st member and are now in 12th place! Welcome William Haag.<br /><br />I notice only two of us have pictures posted. How about the rest of you e-mailing pics in? Hmm?</span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Just joined! hope to contribute the meters, and hope to lose a meter! where can I get a workout plan that will start me on the right path?<br /><br />regards,<br /><br />Ray <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Welcome Ray to RPRG<br />The more the merrier! Check all the forums and info on the concept website for workouts galour. Take it slow and build up first, intermittant sprints etc. Keep long rows every other day at best if you are new (like me) or the tendinitis seems to creep in. Good Luck, Row ON!<br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Mary, I have been reading through the website, good stuff. I am a bit compulsive and want to row everyday, but I am taking today off, due to a sore back. do you have a C2 at home or are you a Gym rower?<br /><br />Ray <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Had a rower over 15 years ago and loved it but was damaged in a move and never replaced. Unfortunately I am the only one with the passion so home purchase is out of the question. I go to a gym and get lots of stares since I row every other day for a good hour +. But I have a nice view out of the 2nd floor window at the health club. No excuses not to row my club is open 24 hours!<br />Mary

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 7th, 2005, 6:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rowmantic+Jul 7 2005, 12:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rowmantic @ Jul 7 2005, 12:19 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All<br />    I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.  I got back into rowing in 2000.  At that point in my life I was 40 pounds heavier than I am now and I was unable to walk a 1/4 of a mile without being winded.  It occurred to me that one day my sons would have to tell their friends that their mother died from being overweight and out of shape.    5 years later, I still have another 20 pounds I would like to shed, but I can run for an hour or more without being winded.  I got on an erg in January of 2000.  I kept a log of sorts, a scratch piece of paper that I still have.    I was lucky to have been able to row for 10 minutes not all at once mind you.  It was more like a minute here and then another minute .  I am pretty sure I took a long nap after that 10 minutes.<br />  I now erg 5 days a week and row on the water one day a week.  I would love to really lose those last 20 pounds.  I am hoping by joining your group you will help inspire me to get back on the weight loss track.  <br />~Grace <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Welcome Grace,<br />I love your screen name! No shame in losing 20 lbs, the last 20 is always the hardest! So I've heard I have to lose 35-40. I've put on 5 from rowing but I don't mind because the inches are less and that's what counts for me. Sounds like you'll lose it quickly with your routine and just eat those fruits and vegies and the weight will be gone.<br />Good Luck , Row ON<br />Mary<br />

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 7th, 2005, 6:36 pm

xx

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 7th, 2005, 6:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Jul 7 2005, 02:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Jul 7 2005, 02:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jul 7 2005, 10:12 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Hi, guys,<br /><br />You've all been quite busy while I've been away! And we've got quite a few new members--welcome! I see that our newest member has put us into 9th place, ahead of MIT. Yeah!  <br /><br />So last week, I watched the Oarsome Foursome DVD that C2 sends out with the new rowers. (My sister just bought one.) I then proceeded to go overboard. I rowed over 10K two days in a row and set new PBs for 5000 and 2000 meters. I also tried some strapless rowing. The problem was that I really pushed too hard given my arthritis and level of conditioning. I was fatigued and my joints ached much more than usual. I tried backing off and rowing less time and at less intensity for a couple of days, but I still felt like a slug, so I took a couple of days off. It turned into a week, partly because I worked or was busy with Lab Rescue over the holiday weekend. <br /><br />The week off was good, though, because now I know what my baseline level of joint discomfort is. It'll be easier for me to know now whether I'm just having a bad arthritis day or whether I've overdone my activity. I rowed for 30 minutes this morning and I can feel it, but it's a good feeling--not like the aching I had last week. </span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Slow and easy, and steady as she goes is the rule for our boat. We don't need any team members going overboard. <br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Great Advice! <br />Mary