Newbie, need some help

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Renee
Paddler

Newbie, need some help

Post by Renee » March 28th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Hi, I just received my new Model D yesterday and gave it a try out!
I am active and have an elliptical that I use every other day. I wanted some variety in my workout and remember the rower from my college days and decided upon that as it is very different than my elliptical.

I took is slow yesterday but did 30 min (a little over 4000 m and at 25-29 spm)

At this rate I did not find that my heart rate was up much at all. My arms were the most tired, but not very tired.

I was just curious about how must faster I should go to get a better cardio workout. The book that came with the model suggested a stroke rate of 25-30. To get a better cardio workout do I for pull harder or do I try to add more spm (or both)? I know pulling harder/faster will increase resistance.

Also, can you switch up how you hold the handle (palms facing up vs palms facing down) or is the "palms facing up" bad form and just dangerous?

I did concentrate on my form and will need some more slow workouts to get it down.

One more question..
does higher watts mean that I am pulling with more force? When I work on my cardio what should my watts be? Yesterday I looked at calories burnt, I think I should have left it on watts.

I really loved getting back on a rower again, however the way it "works" is different than my elliptical so I am still figuring out all that! The one I used in college was really old and didn't even have a computer.

thanks!! I look forward to logging all my time and participating in challenges!!

-renee

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: Newbie, need some help

Post by Bob S. » March 28th, 2008, 1:03 pm

Renee wrote:
I took is slow yesterday but did 30 min (a little over 4000 m and at 25-29 spm)

At this rate I did not find that my heart rate was up much at all. My arms were the most tired, but not very tired.

-renee
It appears to me that you are using your arms too much. The main drive should come from the legs. Also, a higher stroke rate doesn't mean faster unless you are pulling just as hard each stroke at the higher rate. The calories display is not really much use. Technically, the watts display is what the machine is all about, but most ergers go by the pace display, which shows the time for 500 meters. A 30 minute piece of 4000 meters would have a pace of 3:45. At that pace, it is not surprising that you didn't get your heart rate up. An active person of either gender and just about any age or size could hold a pace of well under 3:00 for 30 minutes.

Take a look at:

http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/rankings.asp

to see what others in your category are doing.

Bob S.

TabbRows
2k Poster

Post by TabbRows » March 28th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Renee,

First, congrats on the new erg and on getting back into rowing.

If you search through the various threads in this forum, youll find a lot of answers to (and opinions on) all your questions.

IMO, your focus should be on watts versus calories. Watts equate to how much power you are exerting and to how fast you are going.

You say your arms were tired. But you didn't mention your legs. Your legs are your power muscles, 70%+ of your power is generated by your legs. Rember from your rowing days it's legs first, then swing the back(actually pivot at the hips), then the arms. Basically the arms are just the follow through finishing your stroke and helping to set you up for the recovery to the next stroke.
On the stroke, don't pivot the hips/swing the back until your legs are straight. the swing the back, draw the arms to your chest. The recovery is just the opposite: arms out straight, pivot, then raise the knees to draw you down the slide.

You may want to check out Xeno Muller's website, ironoarsman, and order some of his dvd's. They offer good instructions on technique and many dirfferent workouts for you.

Good luck and come back here often and let us all know how you're doing.
M 64 76 kg

"Sit Down! Row Hard! Go Nowhere!"

Renee
Paddler

Post by Renee » March 28th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did feel that I was using my legs however because of the other exercises I do, my legs are strong. My arms are not flabby but they don't get much of a workout usually so I think that is why they were sore first. I did realize that I was depending on my arms a little too much and then began to correct it though.

Today I am not sore at all.

I want to give myself a week to work on my form before I get into a good cardio workout. I am still figuring out all features on the pm3.

I did read some of the other forum posts however I am not familiar with all the "lingo" yet and don't understand all the posts.

I am really excited to add this to my workout, I have been lurking for a couple months as I researched and saved money.

-renee

Renee
Paddler

Post by Renee » March 28th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Also,
for a good cardio I should concentrate on my pace. Is there any other things that I should look at in addition to that?

thanks for all your help!!

-renee

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » March 28th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Renee wrote:

I want to give myself a week to work on my form before I get into a good cardio workout. I am still figuring out all features on the pm3.

-renee
Be sure that you learn about the damper setting (1-10 on the ring) and the drag factor (ranging from about 80 to about 200, depending on the temperature and the atmospheric pressure). Your instruction book should give the details on this and also suggest reasonable values for these. I think that it also has stroke rate recommendations — somewhat lower than what you did on that 30' piece.

Bob S.