Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Xeno

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] Xeno » July 6th, 2005, 12:48 am

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jul 5 2005, 11:54 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jul 5 2005, 11:54 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 4 2005, 04:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 4 2005, 04:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Had a liberating experience today.  After 3 days of rowing, I've finally taken the time to row most of the distances so I have a personal time for each.  My thought was, this would help me see progress, hence motivation... you get the drift.<br /><br />Well the liberating experience was the fact that my rankings were SO low that I almost have nowhere to go but up.  In one distance, the system tells me that that my ranked standing is such that 100% of the people are faster.  LOL  How can I get worse than that?!       <br /><br />(Don't you DARE point out that new people are always adding times and that I will, de facto, continue to move DOWN the list unless I improve      ) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> If it makes you fell any better, I've been rowing a month and still have two distances at 100%. I look at Personal Best times, forget about comparing until you have at least of month of meters logged. Also look at Xeno he has a video of his stroke I just shaved almost a minute off my 5K by changing my stroke.<br />Good Luck and take it one row at a time and remember the meters are cummulative, calories expended, that's what counts!<br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi Mary<br />Thank you very much for the compliments about my stroke cycle.<br />I enjoy coaching people the technique that was taught to me by a couple of very good coaches. The frist one is the late Harry Mahon from New Zealand and the second is Marty Aitken. I greatly enjoyed them both in different ways. Good job being able to use the video footage and use it to your benefit.<br />I strongly believe that indoor rowing is the most universal form of exercise most people could benefit from. My goal is to be at the forefront of this move. My primary responsibility is to provide for my family. The second is to satisfy the first by making people's life better through rowing for fitness and mental health. From the bottom of my heart I wish all a great continuation and I thank you for complimenting my technique which matured over the years.<br />All my best and I hope you are having a great summer.<br />XENO

[old] SeaRay

Post by [old] SeaRay » July 6th, 2005, 9:23 am

<!--QuoteBegin-SpaCityBulldog+Jul 5 2005, 06:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SpaCityBulldog @ Jul 5 2005, 06:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just joined! hope to contribute the meters, and hope to lose a meter! where can I get a workout plan that will start me on the right path?<br /><br />regards,<br /><br />Ray </td></tr></table><br /><br />Welcome to the boat, Ray. Glad to have you with us.<br /><br />Kevin <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />how can we see what the totals are for the club? I saw some posts that discussed other members workouts. I want to get an idea of what the average member is contributing, thanks.<br /><br />Ray

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 6th, 2005, 10:50 am

<!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 5 2005, 04:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 5 2005, 04:49 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jun 8 2005, 03:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jun 8 2005, 03:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Hey, Team,<br /><br />We've got our 21st member and are now in 12th place! Welcome William Haag.<br /><br />I notice only two of us have pictures posted. How about the rest of you e-mailing pics in? Hmm?</span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Just joined! hope to contribute the meters, and hope to lose a meter! where can I get a workout plan that will start me on the right path?<br /><br />regards,<br /><br />Ray <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> Welcome Ray to RPRG<br />The more the merrier! Check all the forums and info on the concept website for workouts galour. Take it slow and build up first, intermittant sprints etc. Keep long rows every other day at best if you are new (like me) or the tendinitis seems to creep in. Good Luck, Row ON!<br />Mary

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 6th, 2005, 10:51 am

<!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 6 2005, 08:23 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 6 2005, 08:23 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how can we see what the totals are for the club? I saw some posts that discussed other members workouts.  I want to get an idea of what the average member is contributing, thanks.<br /><br />Ray <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />OK. But, remember, some of us have just started rowing July 1st and we're new to the sport and well, I'm still fat. Just don't get huffy at people at the bottom of the list. <br /><br /><br />From Concept2 homepage><br />Scroll Over Training & Logs and select Online Ranking><br />Click on "University & Club Standings" in the left column><br />Scroll down to "Row Pain, Row Gain" and click on the number to the left><br /><br />There you'll find all the team members and their contributions.

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 6th, 2005, 11:08 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how can we see what the totals are for the club? I saw some posts that discussed other members workouts. I want to get an idea of what the average member is contributing, thanks.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Go to your Logbook. Click on the link on the left for University/Club Standings. You'll find us at 11th (almost 10th now). Click on the number for the member list.<br /><br />Kevin

[old] SeaRay

Post by [old] SeaRay » July 6th, 2005, 11:42 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 6 2005, 10:51 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 6 2005, 10:51 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 6 2005, 08:23 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 6 2005, 08:23 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how can we see what the totals are for the club? I saw some posts that discussed other members workouts.  I want to get an idea of what the average member is contributing, thanks.<br /><br />Ray <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />OK. But, remember, some of us have just started rowing July 1st and we're new to the sport and well, I'm still fat. Just don't get huffy at people at the bottom of the list. <br /><br />Huffy? I'll be down there with you! I just started rowing (erging) and I need to lose at least 35 lbs. I just don't want to be "that guy". tell me what your workouts are going to be, and did you get a plan for beginners? thanks,<br /><br />Ray<br /><br /><br />From Concept2 homepage><br />Scroll Over Training & Logs and select Online Ranking><br />Click on "University & Club Standings" in the left column><br />Scroll down to "Row Pain, Row Gain" and click on the number to the left><br /><br />There you'll find all the team members and their contributions. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 6th, 2005, 11:56 am

<!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 6 2005, 10:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 6 2005, 10:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Huffy?  I'll be down there with you!  I just started rowing (erging) and I need to lose at least 35 lbs. I just don't want to be "that guy". tell me what your workouts are going to be, and did you get a plan for beginners?  thanks,<br /><br />Ray<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />What? Me defensive? <br /><br />I didn't get a rowing plan and I really just try to have fun with it. Concept2 says to row 5 minutes the first time. Didn't do that either. I'm sure the results will come faster with a "plan," but I don't want it to feel TOO much like work so I'm just playing around.<br /><br />For the time being, I'm really just focused on rowing for 30 minutes. I've had luck with a light 500 m row to warm up a bit - then stretch - then row a number of different distances that will take me to around 5500 m total (5000 x 1, or 2 x 2000 + 1000, etc -- equals about 30 minutes for me). I am trying to row each of the basic distances/tiimes once before I get too far in so that I have a baseline to compare against 6 months from now. It motivates me when I can laugh at the high times or low distances and see how far I've come. At least, I HOPE I will be able to laugh after 6 months. <br /><br />-John

[old] SeaRay

Post by [old] SeaRay » July 6th, 2005, 12:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 6 2005, 11:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 6 2005, 11:56 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 6 2005, 10:42 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 6 2005, 10:42 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Huffy?  I'll be down there with you!  I just started rowing (erging) and I need to lose at least 35 lbs. I just don't want to be "that guy". tell me what your workouts are going to be, and did you get a plan for beginners?  thanks,<br /><br />Ray<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />What? Me defensive? <br /><br />I didn't get a rowing plan and I really just try to have fun with it. Concept2 says to row 5 minutes the first time. Didn't do that either. I'm sure the results will come faster with a "plan," but I don't want it to feel TOO much like work so I'm just playing around.<br /><br />For the time being, I'm really just focused on rowing for 30 minutes. I've had luck with a light 500 m row to warm up a bit - then stretch - then row a number of different distances that will take me to around 5500 m total (5000 x 1, or 2 x 2000 + 1000, etc -- equals about 30 minutes for me). I am trying to row each of the basic distances/tiimes once before I get too far in so that I have a baseline to compare against 6 months from now. It motivates me when I can laugh at the high times or low distances and see how far I've come. At least, I HOPE I will be able to laugh after 6 months. <br /><br />-John <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm sitting in my office feeling every muscle in my back from my workout this am. I did a 5000 (26.41 mins) and a 2000 (9.31 mins) maybe I should go slower! I watched Xeno's video of proper form, and want to row slow tomorrow without the straps. I'm definately a fast rower, averaging 29 Spm's. read the string on slow cadence and power stroking in the training forum, makes a lot of sense.<br />keep it going, lets track our progress together. we can do this!<br /><br />Ray <br />

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 6th, 2005, 12:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 6 2005, 11:24 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 6 2005, 11:24 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm sitting in my office feeling every muscle in my back from my workout this am.  I did a 5000 (26.41 mins) and a 2000 (9.31 mins)  maybe I should go slower!  I watched Xeno's video of proper form, and want to row slow tomorrow without the straps.  I'm definately a fast rower, averaging 29 Spm's.  read the string on slow cadence and power stroking in the training forum, makes a lot of sense.<br />keep it going, lets track our progress together. we can do this!<br /><br />Ray <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />LOL. 29 SPM's - my lungs and heart would pop. I don't even kind of have that level of fitness.<br /><br />The one other thing I do (but didn't mention) is that I strive for 2 days "on" and 1 day "off." I have a bad tendency to get all excited about something new and then burnout. My wife has strict orders to "forbid" me from rowing on my off day. As I get more fit, I'll probably tweak the ratio upwards to be more 3 / 1 or 4 / 1. <br /><br />The strapless thing is interesting to me - let me know how it goes. I might give that a try myself.<br /><br />-John

[old] SeaRay

Post by [old] SeaRay » July 6th, 2005, 1:13 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-SpaCityBulldog+Jul 6 2005, 11:08 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SpaCityBulldog @ Jul 6 2005, 11:08 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->how can we see what the totals are for the club? I saw some posts that discussed other members workouts. I want to get an idea of what the average member is contributing, thanks.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Go to your Logbook. Click on the link on the left for University/Club Standings. You'll find us at 11th (almost 10th now). Click on the number for the member list.<br /><br />Kevin <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />yes, I see it, thanks Kevin.

[old] katbois

Post by [old] katbois » July 6th, 2005, 7:29 pm

When I first started, I tried doing high spm's and strapped.<br /><br />After reading some other threads, I now row strapless, keep my spm's at 24-26 and my pace @ 2:10 or lower, depending on the distance. This is in keeping not only with "ergers" but those who row on the water (myself not included). This is what I have found works for me, but I implore you to seek whatever keeps you going and motivated.<br /><br />Completed my 3rd 1/2 marathon since the June 21 summer solstice. I find I like doing LSD (long slow distance) with occasional "sprints" for variety. I also like to cross train with spinning, road biking, and running. <br /><br />Good luck to all, whatever you do! Find what you enjoy and keep doing it!<br /><br />Mark<br />

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 6th, 2005, 11:25 pm

I can't have been the first person to notice that we snuck in front of the Dutch somehow. Someone at the "front of our boat" must have pulled some significant meters today!<br /><br />Nice.<br /><br />-John

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » July 7th, 2005, 12:03 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 6 2005, 07:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 6 2005, 07:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I can't have been the first person to notice that we snuck in front of the Dutch somehow.  Someone at the "front of our boat" must have pulled some significant meters today!<br /><br />Nice.<br /><br />-John <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Yeah, I noticed that too. I looked before I rowed, then again after rowing 10015 meters this evening. We had jumped ahead of them by more than my 10015 so someone else got in some meters. Then I checked again just now and we've pulled much further ahead still.<br /><br />After taking about a week off from rowing (other things going on), I expected it to be more difficult than it ended up being. I feel pretty good, but am going to wait a couple days before rowing again just to make sure.<br /><br />Keep up the good work everyone...<br /><br />-jason

[old] whp4

Post by [old] whp4 » July 7th, 2005, 3:31 am

<!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Jul 7 2005, 04:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Jul 7 2005, 04:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 6 2005, 07:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 6 2005, 07:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I can't have been the first person to notice that we snuck in front of the Dutch somehow.  Someone at the "front of our boat" must have pulled some significant meters today!<br /><br />Nice.<br /><br />-John <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Yeah, I noticed that too. I looked before I rowed, then again after rowing 10015 meters this evening. We had jumped ahead of them by more than my 10015 so someone else got in some meters. Then I checked again just now and we've pulled much further ahead still.<br /><br />After taking about a week off from rowing (other things going on), I expected it to be more difficult than it ended up being. I feel pretty good, but am going to wait a couple days before rowing again just to make sure.<br /><br />Keep up the good work everyone...<br /><br />-jason <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Mostly, you added a few new members, while several of our more active members are on vacation somewhere away from our ergs...<br /><br />Bill<br />

[old] hennmart

Post by [old] hennmart » July 7th, 2005, 4:30 am

<!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Jul 7 2005, 06:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Jul 7 2005, 06:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 6 2005, 07:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 6 2005, 07:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I can't have been the first person to notice that we snuck in front of the Dutch somehow.  Someone at the "front of our boat" must have pulled some significant meters today!<br /><br />Nice.<br /><br />-John <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Yeah, I noticed that too. I looked before I rowed, then again after rowing 10015 meters this evening. We had jumped ahead of them by more than my 10015 so someone else got in some meters. Then I checked again just now and we've pulled much further ahead still.<br /><br />Keep up the good work everyone...<br /><br />-jason <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi all,<br /><br />Congratulation with your 10th place. I saw that there where 6 new members (from 29 to 35) Well I have to say that we can’t beat that, but don’t worry we going to try it (after the vacations)<br /><br />I lost more than 18 kg the last 7 months and I have to thank my erg for it For the past 6 months I rowed every day an average of 16,500K.. I still have to lose an other 10 kg. so I still have to row a considerable distance <br /><br />So my friends row and you will lose those kilograms (and stay at the 10th or 9th place). <br /><br />Row, row, row and row!!<br /><br />Hennie <br /><br />