Row Pro Software

Look here first for answers to common questions
still33
Paddler

Row Pro Software

Post by still33 » March 22nd, 2008, 11:30 am

As I anxiously await delivery of my Model E, I saw some info on RowPro software that can be downloaded for $99 or on CD for $119. Is this a worthwhile purchase? Is the "coaching" of value?
How easy is it to use and which way should I buy it (CD or download)?
Any input appreciated!

badocter
2k Poster

Post by badocter » March 22nd, 2008, 12:30 pm

First make sure that your model E doesn't come with a free one year license as mine did last year. If it doesn't, download it and take advantage of the free evaluation period (~2 weeks?). Kudos to digitalrowing for making it try before you buy. Download is sufficient -- when you buy it you get a license code to unlock all the features.

I use Rowpro to manage all my workouts and data (can compare rows of same format easily and upload rows to C2 log with a couple mouse clicks). For the first four monthes or so I even used one of the rowpro generated training plans - they were pretty solid and I made good progress with them. I have since switched to the Pete Plan, but if you have no idea how to structure a workout program or where to look, the Rowpro plans are a good place to start . Rowpro is a must if you are planning to do any internet rows with others, but it is nice to have even if your just going solo and have a PC close enough to the erg.
40, 6'2", 180# (versus 235# in July 2007)
www.freespiritsrowing.com
[img]http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/uploads/badocter/rowingpbtable.png[/img]

snowitall
Paddler

Post by snowitall » March 22nd, 2008, 3:58 pm

In my opinion Rowpro is an awesome piece of software, and I don't think my rowing would be nearly as much fun without it. When I first got the software I didn't do any online rows for a long long time, but I used the training plan, and whenever I set out to row the ranking distances I would download other peoples previous rows to race against offline. This is a great motivator, because you are going against a real person's effort. I'd usually pick 3 competitors, one faster, one slower and one about the target time I would be aiming for.

I think the training plan is pretty nice initially because it takes the thinking out of it, and when you go to row, that day's session is there for you with all the intervals set up. I have been through a few of the Rowpro plans, but have now switched on to the Pete Plan, and am part way through my second cycle. While I think the Rowpro plans are good for improving fitness and getting into the routine of rowing, I have found the Pete Plan better at improving my times, probably due to the progressive nature of the plan.

The coaching in Rowpro is pretty minimal, though I do find the animated rower is pretty good for getting you into a good rhythm, and is supposed to show a pretty good ratio for recovery time to drive. For self coaching I would easily recommend the Xeno DVDs, and if you want some feedback, people on this and the UK forum are more than happy to critique your stroke if you upload a video from the side on to youtube.

Online rowing really is the best part about Rowpro, and all of my recent PBs have been when rowing online. There is a lot of activity on the rowing server, and it's not just about racing. You can easily find someone to row at whatever pace you want across a wide range of distances. There is also a 1k race series going on every weekend for the next couple of months, and Chad runs plenty of tough sessions through the week, especially the Thursday interval. Pam from Digital Rowing sets up and rows a lot of sessions, and will walk you through your initial sessions via the in built chat if you want her to.

Like Badocter said, try out the trial to see if you like it. I can recommend it 100%.

Marc

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Row Pro Software

Post by Citroen » March 22nd, 2008, 7:11 pm

still33 wrote:As I anxiously await delivery of my Model E
Not adding an extra $99 when you've spent a small fortune on a model E would seem like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

If you have a rower at home, have an internet connected PC/laptop less than 5m away from the rower then there is no sensible reason not to have a copy of RowPro.

korkiley
Paddler

Post by korkiley » June 27th, 2008, 9:56 pm

Just bear in mind that RowPro is $99/year. I found it very useful when starting to row in 2006 but when I found out I had to renew every year for an additional $99, I decided one year was enough.

There is a decent animation of a rower that matches your cadence and I found it very useful in getting the timing down. I never did use the online rowing feature but I think that could be a lot of fun.

To tell you the truth, I'm finding it a relief to just get on my rower and row instead of having to start my computer and load RowPro before beginning. I do miss the logging features though. Instead I use the C2 LogCard Utility to upload my workouts to the C2 online log.

Kor
2k/8:19, 5k/21:58.1, 10k/44:54.6, HM/1:35:06.1 M:3:17
C2 since 11/06, 3 seat pads, Damper: 4.5

michaelb
2k Poster

Post by michaelb » June 27th, 2008, 10:24 pm

The rowpro license does not need to be renewed every year. I am not sure what made you think that, did you have an educational or institutional license? I did have to buy an upgrade to v2 when that came out (can't remember how much, maybe $30-40?), but that is and was well worth it.

I agree with everyone else, if you have an C2 home and a computer, RP is absolutely great. I love the online rowing and racing, but use "off line" most of the time just for the added display, the uploading to the C2 log, and the ability to use pace boats and past rows.
M 51 5'9'' (1.75m), a once and future lightweight
Old PBs 500m-1:33.9 1K-3:18.6 2K-6:55.4 5K-18:17.6 10K-38:10.5 HM-1:24:00.1 FM-3:07.13

korkiley
Paddler

Post by korkiley » June 27th, 2008, 10:32 pm

michaelb wrote:The rowpro license does not need to be renewed every year. I am not sure what made you think that, did you have an educational or institutional license? I did have to buy an upgrade to v2 when that came out (can't remember how much, maybe $30-40?), but that is and was well worth it.
Hmm... Well that is great if I don't need to. I didn't use it for a while and when I did, I got a message that my license key was no longer valid. When I went to the RowPro site, the only option seemed to be to purchase a new license. I thought I needed to do that every year but I'm very happy if I was mistaken! I'll contact Pete and see what he says. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Kor
2k/8:19, 5k/21:58.1, 10k/44:54.6, HM/1:35:06.1 M:3:17
C2 since 11/06, 3 seat pads, Damper: 4.5

badocter
2k Poster

Post by badocter » June 28th, 2008, 12:57 am

I think the "free" license that was part of a C2 promotion on new erg purchases last year was only good for the first year. I guess I will know the answer to that in about 2 weeks :wink:
40, 6'2", 180# (versus 235# in July 2007)
www.freespiritsrowing.com
[img]http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/uploads/badocter/rowingpbtable.png[/img]