Starter Boat- Alden 2 man

No, ergs don't yet float, but some of us do, and here's where you get to discuss that other form of rowing.
still33
Paddler

Starter Boat- Alden 2 man

Post by still33 » March 11th, 2008, 12:01 pm

I am new to erging but am enjoying the challenges. I will be taking "learn to row " classes at a club next month if the snow and ice ever melt. The club is a fair distance away, and as I live on a river I am toying with the idea of getting a scull. The Alden 17 foot 2 man looks interesting in that I could row solo but still take people out for a ride and hopefully get some more new scullers. Any thoughts on this? Is there a better recreational scull to consider? I really like the idea of a versatile 2 man.

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » March 11th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Our club has Alden and Maas singles. Based on the singles, these are two excellent boat companies. Our Maas singles are lighter than our Alden singles, therefore easier to carry and faster. I don't notice much difference in stability, but I suspect the Alden might be more stable. Do you know about row2k classifieds? Sometimes you can get a good deal there.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you get. It's so much nicer to be outdoors when rowing.

Byron

still33
Paddler

Post by still33 » March 17th, 2008, 12:14 pm

Anyone out there have any experience with the Alden 2 man?

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » March 17th, 2008, 1:07 pm

still33 wrote:Anyone out there have any experience with the Alden 2 man?
Yep, it's a reasonable training setup, as the oarmaster can be placed in a central position for rowing as a single. You still need two people to get it to the water (or some sort of kayak/canoe dolly). One advantage is that there is no skeg (fin) to worry about, the boat can be placed right on level ground without need for a rack or slings.

It's not a particularly fast boat, but it's a lot faster than a regular row boat and about as stable as a canoe.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

ChrisH
500m Poster

Alden

Post by ChrisH » March 17th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Are you looking at the Alden that can be used with either 1 or 2 oar master units? If so this is a very stable versatile boat. No skeg or fin to worry about, so it's easy to beach or pull up on the dock without damage. Great for beginners or rough water use. Good choice for early or late in the rowing season for safety. Can be a challenge to launch by yourself.
IMHO
MH 54 5'8'' 190lbs.

ChrisH
500m Poster

Post by ChrisH » March 17th, 2008, 1:15 pm

Paul posted while I was typing. :shock:
MH 54 5'8'' 190lbs.

still33
Paddler

Post by still33 » March 17th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Is it something that one would "grow out of" fairly quickly, being a good "beginner" boat? Or would it still be something that I could use at times even if I did graduate to more of a racing type scull? Also, can you take a non-rowing passenger out if both oarmasters are in place? Thanks for the feedback!

still33
Paddler

Post by still33 » March 23rd, 2008, 10:51 am

My college rowing son wants to sweep row with me this summer- can the Alden 17 be rigged for sweep rowing? ( The Alden website is down, otherwise I would have checked there first )

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » March 24th, 2008, 7:29 am

I've never seen a possibility for sweep rigging an oarmaster, but handling a pair of oars is not detrimental to college rowers. In fact, that's how the lucky ones get to spend their summers.

I suppose a non rower could ride along using the second oarmaster as their seat, but then why not just have them learn to row? To take a passenger it would probably be better to use the forward mounted rigger alone, and give the passenger a couple of those floating seat cushions to make it more comfortable for them, and get their center of gravity low in the boat.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.

still33
Paddler

Post by still33 » March 25th, 2008, 10:12 am

I did hear from Alden rep and he confirms that it can not be rigged for sweep rowing.
Paul-my son claims, as a sweep rower, he ought not scull. You believe it is a good thing and won't screw up his form?

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » March 25th, 2008, 11:12 am

still33 wrote:I did hear from Alden rep and he confirms that it can not be rigged for sweep rowing.
Paul-my son claims, as a sweep rower, he ought not scull. You believe it is a good thing and won't screw up his form?
I would be quite surprised if it screwed up his form for Sweep. After individually sculling over the summer, I met up with a friend who had been doing the same and we took out a Pair (at his club) without any problems, in fact we were going along well enough to sneek up and whack a goose. Neither of us had ever been in a pair before that and only rowed 4's and 8's at school (self taught summer sculling, which is not the greatest way to go about it, BTW.), which subsequently felt like aircraft carriers compared to both the 1x and 2-. :D

I also coach a fairly large group where we switch between sweep and sculling all the time. Sweep can be very specialized, I am decidedly a Port through the years of only rowing that side, but now mostly enjoy sculling and could row Starboard in a pinch, all oarsmanship translates favorably.
Erg on,
Paul Smith

tdekoekkoek
1k Poster

Post by tdekoekkoek » March 25th, 2008, 11:33 am

I agree with Paul. In fact I would go a bit further: all sweep rowers should learn to scull, preferably first. IMO, it definitely improves technique in both types of boats
Trevor de Koekkoek: 46yrs, 190lbs

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1204034405.png[/img]
Latest Rowing Videos:[url=http://www.rowtube.net]http://www.rowtube.net[/url]

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » March 26th, 2008, 3:47 pm

I know of at least one varsity crew that switches to sculling once the racing season has finished in late summer and they only do sculling until the season starts again in the spring. I think there are others but I don't know for sure.

bw1099
500m Poster

Post by bw1099 » March 29th, 2008, 9:24 pm

still33 wrote:Is it something that one would "grow out of" fairly quickly, being a good "beginner" boat? Or would it still be something that I could use at times even if I did graduate to more of a racing type scull? Also, can you take a non-rowing passenger out if both oarmasters are in place? Thanks for the feedback!
In my opinion, an Alden is something that one would grow out of fairly quickly. At our club, they rarely get used except in the learn to row program. I will occasionally use one early in the season, or if I want to go out on rough water. But it is hard to go back to rowing an Alden.