Weight Room/Fitness Center

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Weight Room/Fitness Center

Post by PJM » February 27th, 2008, 1:18 pm

How about having a team room to share diet tips, exercise routines and various health /fitness topics?
This may be great for all of us!!
Just an idea.

Pat
PJM
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » February 27th, 2008, 4:30 pm

What was that baseball field quote....if you build it, they will come...

I suspect the teams will participate - although there is a segment in the training section that also has some info. Are you thinking more specific to the team forum?

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » February 27th, 2008, 4:43 pm

I did think about that AFTER I posted this :oops:
There is a place on the forum for this.But it could be more specific to our teams.
Acckk... :lol:
We can see where this takes us..and it may have a closed sign soon.

PJM
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

thomaspinckney
500m Poster

Post by thomaspinckney » March 1st, 2008, 7:06 am

Yep: I thought we already had one right here. When I post something here about weight loss, etc - what has worked for me - I also put it elsewhere on the forum.

elfm
Paddler

Post by elfm » March 1st, 2008, 8:25 am

I think it's a very good idea to have a new room that combines parts of other forums. The existing training posts often concentrate on stats, and it would be nice to have something that's actually written in comprehensible English. Plus, as someone who only wants to row two or three times a week(except during challenges) and do other forms of exercise the rest of the week, I would be very interested in hearing from others who have a similar exercise plan.
ELF

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » March 1st, 2008, 11:17 am

Hi ELF!!!
I guess it is all about comfort.Feeling good in a place where we can "workout" as we want to.So this addition to the Team Rooms can be anyone's room who just wants to share what they do and see if anyone else has some ideas to share.All in one place so we don't have to surf the site :lol:
I try to row every day..it is just a form of my own personal discipline.But at times I get in a rut and need a change in my fitness routine.So in addition to a row..I will do some other form of exercise.If I do a long row I will just row.If I do my cross training I will do a short row, then do 30 minutes on the treadmill or 30 minutes on an elliptical trainer.I try to get in 90 minutes of aerobic activity every day.Sometimes more.
I am sort of retired so I have the time.We have our own business and I can make my schedule to fit my fitness routine.I also have a home gym..well..it is my version and fits for me..so that makes it convenient..no drive time.My goals are to keep my metabolism revved..and keep my strength and flexibilty intact as I age.Prevention of osteoporosis is my main goal.AND to keep my ability to do activities of daily living in a manner that will allow me to age without injury and to stay in a good state of health into my 80's and 90's without the need for drugs etc.I am a true believer in being proactive about my own health and living in a manner that will allow me to age with good health.
Topics like this are my passion..
I tend to get on a soap box.But won't here.
With todays hectic lifestyles ..if we can get 3 days of exercise in ..that is good.Exercise and a good healthy liefstyle can prevent & maintain.
Row for the health of it and enjoy the ride!!!

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » March 1st, 2008, 3:24 pm

I had read somewhere on this forum a post by a rower who suggested that in developing and executing a fitness/exercise plan that maybe joining a different fitness facility once in a while would be beneficial.This room here in the TEAM section may work that way for someone who needs to "join a new fitness center".By popping in to read or look to see who has "worked out" here will be a change from the other sites.This poster also suggested meeting with a personal trainer..great idea.So we can use this room to meet up with rowers with ideas and experiences of their own.To motivate and assist.No pressures..no requirements..and absolutely FREE.

PJM
B)
Last edited by PJM on March 1st, 2008, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomaspinckney
500m Poster

Post by thomaspinckney » March 1st, 2008, 7:11 pm

Good idea. I'm the guy that suggested joining a new place. Of course THIS is a new place. This forum is a great incenctive to keep me going.

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » March 1st, 2008, 7:25 pm

Rowing and Osteoporosis
People have often asked us if rowing is a good form of exercise for the prevention of osteoporosis. We recently found some research that tells at least part of the story. The study was done at the Washington University School of Medicine and was published in the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research in 1997. The researchers compared two modes of exercise: ground-reaction force and joint-reaction force. Ground-reaction force (GRF) exercise included walking, jogging and stepping. Joint-reaction force (JRF) exercise included weight-lifting and rowing on the Concept2 Indoor Rower.

The researchers found that rowing and weight-lifting increased bone mineral density in 3 of 4 locations tested, and did so with lower strain rates than did the GRF exercises.

In addition, it was found that the rowing and weight-lifting group showed the greatest improvements in overall strength and lean body mass. The authors observed that these gains should decrease the risk of falling and help maintain functional independence and overall health despite advancing age.

What does this mean for rowers?
You may still want to keep some walking, running or stepping in your fitness program for variety and extra insurance. but you can feel good about the fact that Rowing, in combination with strength training, not only increases bone density but has the added benefit of increasing overall fitness, strength and flexibility.

"Effects of Exercise Involving Predominantly Either Joint-Reaction or Ground-Reaction Forces on Bone Mineral Density in Older Women," Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, Volume 12, Number 8, 1997

Love this article!!

Pat
B)

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » March 1st, 2008, 7:30 pm

From another rower:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignoring or "working around" an injury may worsen things. If you have an injury, you could end up with scar tissure/arthritus that may not occur IF you do things properly. It has been a constant battle for me with numerous injuries, illnesses over the years.

I have had rotator cuff surgery with similar symptoms. After the surgery & subsequent PT, the pain was still there. Followup at the Orthopedic doctor indicates (I have) bulging discs in my neck which were giving me the same symtoms.

I have bulging discs in my neck and lower back and a bad left shoulder (arthritus from the rotator cuff problems) along with a meniscus repair in my left knee. I am also recovered from lung cancer (no problems in 18 years after surgery & chemo) I still exercise but adapt my workouts so I feel no pain. After a while, our body tells us what to do. These injuries do not go away. However, you can make things better!

I've also battled diabetes, high blood pressure/ bad cholesterol. In spite of this, I feel that I'm in good health and have a pretty good quality of life at 63 years old. The reason I'm here today is that I go to my doctor and follow his instructions. Keeping my weight down has resulted in all of my "symptoms" getting better and most of (blood) tests indicating I am in a normal range.

Most of us treat our cars/pets better than we treat ourselves. I find it quite interesting that the one thing we stop when we hurt is the one thing that can help us - EXERCISE. Big mistake because we end up with muscle imbalances and hurt ourselves due to inactivity in a body part. A little PT may help you. Once you do it keep it up and hopefully things will get better.

So how does one "keep it(exerise) up year after year? Here are a couple of things I've done:

1. go to my doctor and follow his advice when necessary.
2. join a different health club every year or two. This keeps up interest. They money spent on a quality club (perhas expensive) will be saved later in less doctor bills.
3. occasionally, make an appointment with a personal trainer. When you pay for this service, most of us will show up to exercise. The key in exercising is to show up. Once you are there - you WILL work out.

Good luck.

I added this to our TEAM room because I thought it was great.Lots of good ideas and needs to be read.

Pat
TimbukTOO
B)

thomaspinckney
500m Poster

Post by thomaspinckney » March 3rd, 2008, 5:18 am

Thanks for posting my thread here. Hopefully, it will help others.

During January, I rowed 620,000 meters. For me - a lot. The weight pored off of me. Trouble is - I was slightly overtrained. So I backed off and did not row for three weeks. Big MISTAKE. I started to feel lousy (tired) again. I should have done light workouts during this time to maintain my fitness.

I just started rowing again (intervals) on March 1. I already feel better with an occasional "high" as the result. I also sleep better and have a more general sense of well being. When a person feels good - they are happier with themselves and it is quite obvious to others (by your mood).

In spite of neck/back problems, I've found that I CAN row safely as long as I do it properly. This was reinforced by a visit to my orthopedic doctor recently. He told me: "If it doesn't hurt - DO IT!""

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » March 3rd, 2008, 11:17 am

Have you ever thought of being a Personal Trainer??or on line coach?? Your posts are so good and insightful.I have been reading them all over the site and you have your finger on the pulse of fitness and nutrition.I have enjoyed each post.I want to copy them here..and let the TEAM group see them.You put into words what many can't say.Great info!!!

Pat
B)

thomaspinckney
500m Poster

Post by thomaspinckney » March 3rd, 2008, 6:46 pm

Thanks - that's a very nice compliment and I'm glad that I have something to offer. The best one of all: learn from my mistakes!!

Yep, I've considered getting my PT certification just for my own satisfaction/knowledge. However, I'm retired (I was a police officer for 32 years in Montgomery County, Md) and get early social security (I'm 63 years old) and my police pension. I do teach driving instruction (I jokingly tell people it's more dangerous than my police job was) one day a week and really enjoy working with young people. Not really interested being a trainer in a gym. This forum is good enough for me & realistically, unless a fellow looks like Schwarzenneger or Stallone, who wants a 63 year old trainer?. :oops:

I also fish as much as I can and now am really tied up with my new training/fishing partner "Blue Boy" (13 week old English Cocker).

I REALLY like the positive atmosphere and have held myself back (at times) from posting because I don't want others to think I'm a know-it-all.

My "training experience" comes from years of LOTS of injuries. Most were on the job and I keep coming back. After a while injured and fat people (we become experts at weight loss & exercise) know what works for THEM. You will note that when I post, it's about what works for me. Thus - it's there for others to give them ideas, but no necessarily will it work for them.

I believe that by educating ourselves about our selves, we can come up with a sound program to keep us healthier. The important thing that I can offer others is to never let yourself get out of shape. After years of abuse, it is MUCH harder to get in shape than to stay in shape.

Ever see those people with oxygen bottles and walkers? It's just around the corner for many of us. We are living longer, but not necessarily better. Thus, our quality of life in old age depends on how we treat ourselves now. The years go by VERY quickly. One minute your 16, the next 63!!

However, I'm still working to develp the body that men fear and women love! :roll: Will I make it? Tom

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » May 2nd, 2008, 9:57 am

10 Cautionary Suggestions When Interpreting Health-Related News

Source: American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) by James A. Peterson, Ph.D., FACSM

1. Consider the source. Truth be known, health-related information reported by a highly reliable source (e.g., the U.S. Surgeon General, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American College of Sports Medicine, etc.) is far more likely to be sound and straight shooting than news offered up by the plethora of groups and organizations that put forth attention-grabbing sound bites.

2. Be realistic. Keep in mind that if something seems too good to be
true, it often is. Unfortunately, articles that overstate the magnitude and application of health-related news are a common occurrence. Among the red flags in this regard is the use of overworked words, such as breakthrough, dramatic proof, revolutionary discovery, astounding advance, medical milestone, etc.

3. Be wary. Studies that are cited to help sell a product should be viewed with a certain degree of healthy suspicion. Truth often is less of a priority for manufacturers and industry groups that sponsor studies than making a profit. Such entities frequently appear to do whatever it takes to portray their products in a positive light. More often than not they tend to stretch the truth to promote their products, a process that can blur the line between fact and fiction to a point where the line is indistinguishable.

4. Don't jump to conclusions. Reaching health-related conclusions on the basis of a single study is seldom ever a sound idea. To establish the validity of a study's results, the findings need to be confirmed by additional studies.

5. Determine the intent of the message. Health-related news often is couched in a variety of descriptive terms. Knowing the focal point of each type of term can help define and clarify what insight the news is actually offering. For example, "press releases" typically do not contain enough detail to enable readers to critically analyze the accuracy and relative merits of the reported findings. By the same token, although the term promising advances may suggest some encouraging possibilities, it does not infer that the underlying information is grounded in irrefutable science.

6. Focus on the long haul. It is essential, when interpreting health news, to see what the experts are saying about that specific topic going forward-next week, next month, next year. To a degree, the fervor that may naturally accompany the reporting of a new finding should always be tempered with a healthy dose of skepticism (in the short run).

7. Look at the beef. Any effort to interpret health-related news must involve an effort to determine whether the findings and conclusions reported in the news seem to be backed by scientific evidence, rather than a series of engaging but scientifically unfounded anecdotes. As a rule, most legitimate health-related news features information that includes a citation of its sources.

8. Know what the health-related news is really saying. A number of words are commonly used when reporting scientific studies that often are misinterpreted. For example, the words indicates and suggests do not signify proves. May does not denote will. In some people does not refer to in all people. It also is important to note that quantitative terms, such as doubles the risk and triples the risk, are relative to the base level of risk. Double what? Triple what?

9. Utilize common sense. Logic and common sense often are better mechanisms for helping interpret health-related news than many of the more complex measures and tools that can be used for the same purpose. In reality, the potential application of some health-related findings is sometimes overstated. Although the health-related news may infer otherwise, the impact of a particular finding should always be subject to an analysis of the extent of its relative application.

10. Keep an open mind. If the efforts of the medical and health/fitness communities in the past two decades have proven nothing else to the world at large, it's never say never. Discovery after discovery has enhanced the world's awareness and understanding of how to treat and prevent many health-related problems. As such, individuals should use a balanced degree of both open-mindedness and measured optimism when interpreting health-related news.

Thought this was an interesting article

Pat
B)

dragonfly
500m Poster

Post by dragonfly » May 24th, 2008, 10:48 am

Hi Pat and everyone,

I think this is a great idea. I am the type that needs to change up my exercising to keep from getting bored. That is one reason I bought a Concept 2. I have a treadmill, weight bench, select tec dumbells and a lot of step and weight training videos. I have delusions of building muscle but at 64 and female I doubt it will happen. I have had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder for an impingment and years before that my left shoulder froze up and had to be rotated loose. Now the last couple of months my knees have started hurting, probably arthritis but not sure so have a doctors appt on the 30th to find out what is going on. That is another reason for the rower. I was looking for something with less impact for cardio. I have pre ordered a new set of DVD's called Shock Training System that is 37 dvds for weight training. It is 3 days of weights and then you subsitute your own cardio in between. They say do cardio first then weights so I think the rower will be perfect for that. I also try to eat clean most of the time but having lived in the South for 15 years I tend to want some of that good ol southern food. Recently bought a Vita Mix blender and have really enjoyed the smoothies and healthy drinks that can be made with it. I also use protein powder when I am working out consistently. I will be looking forward to checking in here and staying motivated to keep up the exercise.

Susan