Do I Need To Lose Weight Before I Use My Rower?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] John Thomas

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] John Thomas » February 19th, 2006, 11:50 pm

Currently, I weigh 350 lbs and I'm 5',6". I noticed in a couple of the weight loss stories that the individuals (who had needed to lose as much weight as I do) lost at least 100 lbs before they started using their machines. Should I lose 100 lbs first, or could I go ahead and get started with a machine? I would, of course, start slow and take it easy...<br /><br />Johnny65 8)

[old] michaelb

Post by [old] michaelb » February 20th, 2006, 12:11 am

If you are worried about hurting the machine, I don't think that is possible, so I think you could start rowing nice and easy.<br /><br />Good luck with the weightloss.

[old] Karen

Post by [old] Karen » February 20th, 2006, 12:12 am

<!--quoteo(post=56412:date=Feb 19 2006, 10:50 PM:name=Johnny65)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Johnny65 @ Feb 19 2006, 10:50 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>Currently, I weigh 350 lbs and I'm 5',6". I noticed in a couple of the weight loss stories that the individuals (who had needed to lose as much weight as I do) lost at least 100 lbs before they started using their machines. Should I lose 100 lbs first, or could I go ahead and get started with a machine? I would, of course, start slow and take it easy...<br /><br />Johnny65 8)<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I recently bought my rower, and I distinctly remember reading that it would support up to 500 lbs of weight. So, all you have to do now is check with your physician.<br /><br />Also, do you have a heart rate monitor? I recently started using mine, and it is a great tool for making sure my workouts are safe and productive.<br /><br />Kudos to you for making the first step. I was just talking to my husband tonight about how hard it is to lose weight, especially getting the determination to make the first step. He has no clue, as weight has never been an issue for him.

[old] John Thomas

Post by [old] John Thomas » February 20th, 2006, 12:17 am

<!--quoteo(post=56416:date=Feb 19 2006, 11:12 PM:name=Karen)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Karen @ Feb 19 2006, 11:12 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quoteo(post=56412:date=Feb 19 2006, 10:50 PM:name=Johnny65)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Johnny65 @ Feb 19 2006, 10:50 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>Currently, I weigh 350 lbs and I'm 5',6". I noticed in a couple of the weight loss stories that the individuals (who had needed to lose as much weight as I do) lost at least 100 lbs before they started using their machines. Should I lose 100 lbs first, or could I go ahead and get started with a machine? I would, of course, start slow and take it easy...<br /><br />Johnny65 8)<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I recently bought my rower, and I distinctly remember reading that it would support up to 500 lbs of weight. So, all you have to do now is check with your physician.<br /><br />Also, do you have a heart rate monitor? I recently started using mine, and it is a great tool for making sure my workouts are safe and productive.<br /><br />Kudos to you for making the first step. I was just talking to my husband tonight about how hard it is to lose weight, especially getting the determination to make the first step. He has no clue, as weight has never been an issue for him.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Karen,<br /><br />Thanks for the advice and support!<br />

[old] GreenGA

Post by [old] GreenGA » February 20th, 2006, 12:20 am

I was in alomost similar shape, 290+, and the only thing I was told was to lose weight -before- attempting to run. So, I waited until I was below 220 before running; and I'm now closing in on 205. Other than that... <br /><br />I just started rowing a couple of weeks ago and wish I had discovered it sooner. The exertion is higher but the perceived exersion is less than my -real brisk walking-, 4.3 mph at 7%". I row whenever I'm in the office because they have an onsite gym. I do my running/jogging in the evenings.<br /><br />Oh, and I bought a heart rate montior to track my progress and keep me out of trouble. Never do I exercise without it. It could be a life saver! You never know.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />[quote name='Johnny65' post='56412' date='Feb 19 2006, 10:50 PM']<br />Currently, I weigh 350 lbs and I'm 5',6". I noticed in a couple of the weight loss stories that the individuals (who had needed to lose as much weight as I do) lost at least 100 lbs before they started using their machines. Should I lose 100 lbs first, or could I go ahead and get started with a machine? I would, of course, start slow and take it easy...<br /><br />Johnny65 8)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I recently bought my rower, and I distinctly remember reading that it would support up to 500 lbs of weight. So, all you have to do now is check with your physician.<br /><br />Also, do you have a heart rate monitor? I recently started using mine, and it is a great tool for making sure my workouts are safe and productive.<br /><br />Kudos to you for making the first step. I was just talking to my husband tonight about how hard it is to lose weight, especially getting the determination to make the first step. He has no clue, as weight has never been an issue for him.<br />[/quote]

[old] Godfried

Post by [old] Godfried » February 20th, 2006, 4:43 am

<!--quoteo(post=56419:date=Feb 20 2006, 05:20 AM:name=GreenGA)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GreenGA @ Feb 20 2006, 05:20 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I was in allmost similar shape, 290+, and the only thing I was told to lose weight before attempting was running. ... </td></tr></table><br />At this weight running is a no-no. Walking can be done, but running will ruin your knees and ankles.

[old] tmcguiness

Post by [old] tmcguiness » February 21st, 2006, 9:11 am

I'm 41 years old, 5'8" and weighed in at 310 pounds at the cardiologists office the other day. Fortunately, it turns out I don't have heart disease, but the Dr. painted a very grim picture for me. He pointed out that I don't see people in my shape living in their 70's. He said he has seen the same scenario played out time and time again. Somebody like me ends up ruining their knees and is no longer able to exercise, they end up with diabetes and die from a stroke or heart attack or some other horrible thing. The point was though that I am healthy and shouldn't have any problems living into my 70's or 80's, but if I don't lose a significant amount of weight, I probably won't live to see 60. <br /><br />At his suggestion, I have purchased my ergometer (will receive it Thursday). He said this is particularly good for me because I can't run or do many other types of exercise and that I won't lose weight if I don't exercise because my metabolism has slowed so much from me never getting off my big old butt. <br /><br />So, if I was you, I'd check with my Dr. and make sure it is ok to get started. If he/she gives the okay, by all means, there is no better time to get started. If you wait to lose 100 pounds, you may never get started. I've lost a lot of weight in the past to only put it on again. 100 pounds is a heck of a goal.<br /><br />I've only done the erg once (the day after visiting the cardiologist) and I'm about as out of shape as they come, so I can't give you any sage advice on how to whip yourself into shape, but I hope that we both find the determination and perseverence we need and that we see a lot of each other on these forums in the future.

[old] ancho

Post by [old] ancho » February 21st, 2006, 1:18 pm

<!--quoteo(post=56609:date=Feb 21 2006, 02:11 PM:name=todd)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(todd @ Feb 21 2006, 02:11 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I'm 41 years old, 5'8" and weighed in at 310 pounds at the cardiologists office the other day. Fortunately, it turns out I don't have heart disease, but the Dr. painted a very grim picture for me. He pointed out that I don't see people in my shape living in their 70's. He said he has seen the same scenario played out time and time again. Somebody like me ends up ruining their knees and is no longer able to exercise, they end up with diabetes and die from a stroke or heart attack or some other horrible thing. The point was though that I am healthy and shouldn't have any problems living into my 70's or 80's, but if I don't lose a significant amount of weight, I probably won't live to see 60. <br /><br />At his suggestion, I have purchased my ergometer (will receive it Thursday). He said this is particularly good for me because I can't run or do many other types of exercise and that I won't lose weight if I don't exercise because my metabolism has slowed so much from me never getting off my big old butt. <br /><br />So, if I was you, I'd check with my Dr. and make sure it is ok to get started. If he/she gives the okay, by all means, there is no better time to get started. If you wait to lose 100 pounds, you may never get started. I've lost a lot of weight in the past to only put it on again. 100 pounds is a heck of a goal.<br /><br />I've only done the erg once (the day after visiting the cardiologist) and I'm about as out of shape as they come, so I can't give you any sage advice on how to whip yourself into shape, but I hope that we both find the determination and perseverence we need and that we see a lot of each other on these forums in the future.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Start very smoothly, don't overdo it, and keep doing longer distances as you will be feeling more comfortable (you wil see you will!)<br /><br />Best of succes!<br />

[old] Ikabob

Post by [old] Ikabob » February 21st, 2006, 7:32 pm

Yes, congratulations!!!! You have support!

[old] gcanyon

Post by [old] gcanyon » February 21st, 2006, 9:25 pm

<!--quoteo(post=56412:date=Feb 19 2006, 07:50 PM:name=Johnny65)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Johnny65 @ Feb 19 2006, 07:50 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I would, of course, start slow and take it easy...<br /><br />Johnny65 8)<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Be sure you do take it easy. Others have recommended adding a heart rate monitor to the package -- I can't agree more.<br /><br />It is <u>very</u> easy to push too hard on the rowing machine. Actually, that's a big part of what I like about it. :D <br /><br />I found that with a heart rate monitor, a heart rate that is right in the zone I should maintain for general fitness seems like almost no exercise at all. Before I got the heart rate monitor, I'm sure I was pushing 90% of my max heart rate consistently, which is <u>not</u> what you want to do to lose weight. Slow and steady is the key. Put the rower in front of the TV, turn on your favorite show, and row, row, row.

[old] GreenGA

Post by [old] GreenGA » February 24th, 2006, 3:30 pm

That's what I was told when I first started to lose weight; hence waiting until I was below 220 before running. I did start brisk walking while in the 280 range and though I did "discover" aches and pains, they eventually went away. Now I only suffer with aches. Oh, and the litteral PIA using the rower. I gotta find something I can sit on while rowing. I know I could improve my timings without that ache holding me back. :D <br /><br />Can't wait to get my new rower. I've been putting money aside for the last couple of paychecks and the day is coming. <br /><br /><!--quoteo(post=56431:date=Feb 20 2006, 03:43 AM:name=Godfried)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Godfried @ Feb 20 2006, 03:43 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--quoteo(post=56419:date=Feb 20 2006, 05:20 AM:name=GreenGA)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GreenGA @ Feb 20 2006, 05:20 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I was in allmost similar shape, 290+, and the only thing I was told to lose weight before attempting was running. ... </td></tr></table><br />At this weight running is a no-no. Walking can be done, but running will ruin your knees and ankles.<br /> </td></tr></table>

[old] GreenGA

Post by [old] GreenGA » February 24th, 2006, 3:53 pm

<!--quoteo(post=56609:date=Feb 21 2006, 08:11 AM:name=todd)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(todd @ Feb 21 2006, 08:11 AM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I'm 41 years old, 5'8" and weighed in at 310 pounds at the cardiologists office the other day. Fortunately, it turns out I don't have heart disease, but the Dr. painted a very grim picture for me. He pointed out that I don't see people in my shape living in their 70's. He said he has seen the same scenario played out time and time again. Somebody like me ends up ruining their knees and is no longer able to exercise, they end up with diabetes and die from a stroke or heart attack or some other horrible thing. The point was though that I am healthy and shouldn't have any problems living into my 70's or 80's, but if I don't lose a significant amount of weight, I probably won't live to see 60. <br /><br />At his suggestion, I have purchased my ergometer (will receive it Thursday). He said this is particularly good for me because I can't run or do many other types of exercise and that I won't lose weight if I don't exercise because my metabolism has slowed so much from me never getting off my big old butt. <br /><br />So, if I was you, I'd check with my Dr. and make sure it is ok to get started. If he/she gives the okay, by all means, there is no better time to get started. If you wait to lose 100 pounds, you may never get started. I've lost a lot of weight in the past to only put it on again. 100 pounds is a heck of a goal.<br /><br />I've only done the erg once (the day after visiting the cardiologist) and I'm about as out of shape as they come, so I can't give you any sage advice on how to whip yourself into shape, but I hope that we both find the determination and perseverence we need and that we see a lot of each other on these forums in the future.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />My numbers were pretty bad when I started on my weight loss trek:<br /><br />Blood Sugar average over 170+ (and that was on Glucophage)<br />Weight 290+<br />Resting heart rate 80+<br />BP decent at 120+/- over 70 +/- but could be improved<br /><br />Now:<br />Blood Sugar average 90+ (without any medication)<br />Weight 206-207<br />Resting Heart Rate 53<br />BP 115 +/- over 65 +/-<br /><br />Back in 2001 I received 9 cancer treatments for Non-Hogkins Lymphoma. One of the treatment checmicals actually destroys your heart muscle. When I started the treatments my heart was 55% efficiency; about average for someone of my age. After 3 or 4 treatments, I lost another 30% efficiency; that's 30% off of the 55%.<br /><br />After all this exercise, the efficiency is back above the original 55%. I hope that by adding rowing to my exercise regiment I can improve that number even more.<br /><br />Good luck with your efforts. I know it's not easy nor are the results quick, but nothing in life is easy or quick; other than a quickie that is. (sorry, my fingers have a mind of their own :o )

[old] mimitap

Post by [old] mimitap » February 24th, 2006, 4:01 pm

I encourage you to start gently, doing what you can, adding time and distance as you are able.<br /><br />When I started erging in January 2005 I could only last 3 minutes. I gradually added to that and lost 80 pounds along the way. I keep notes of the details of each session in a pocket calendar so that I can review and enjoy the improvement.<br /><br />This week I did my first half-marathon! I liked it so much I even did it again a few days later! :D <br /><br />Marie

[old] mpukita

Post by [old] mpukita » February 28th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Wow, I just saw this thread and give you folks huge credit for making the decision to get more fit. I believe the advice here is sound ... start slow, make sure the doctor is in agreement, don't expect miracles to happen overnight, stick with it, ask for help and support here when you feel like quitting (we all do, at some point), and look at it as a lifetime sport or physical activity, which it is.<br /><br />For inspiration, I like to take a look at the results from races where the Masters Rowers are 60+. It's amazing that they pull the times they do!<br /><br />Bob Spenger here is a great example, as is Luanne Mills, and even the just-turned-60 Frank Knight, who makes me look like a turtle -- and he has 13 years on me!<br /><br />Congratulations, and keep us posted on your progress!

[old] tmcguiness

Post by [old] tmcguiness » February 28th, 2006, 1:57 pm

I appreciate everybody's support. <br /><br />I got my rower and started to work last Friday. I've started slow like everbody suggests, but it seems like I'm working awfully hard. If y'all want some giggles, you can see my times at the bottom of the 2,000M and 30min rankings. But I'm enjoying it and hope I'll be able to stick with it. <br /><br />I'm losing weight through diet. I'm down to a svelt 292 according to my home scale (I like my home scale because it has always weighed light compared to the doctor's) but I have put on a couple of pounds since I started erging. I'm confident that is not a real gain and will go away very soon. I know this exercise can only be good for me.