January Challenge

MomofJBN
2k Poster

January Challenge

Post by MomofJBN » January 1st, 2008, 9:41 pm

And they're off!

Nearing the end of day 1, DAFT is in 9th. Way to go everyone! To see the standings, from your logbook, click on TEAMS. On the Team page, click on View Team Standings for Virtual Team Challenge under the DAFT entry. Or http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/team ... 34&strY=no

My husband is contributing his meters to another team :roll: , but I've signed on my mother and my youngest son. Nicholas has his eyes on besting Danae. Anyone else have a little erger that wants to get in on the action?

Watch out when you log your meters - the default year is still 2007! :o I thought it would change once I entered a row, but it is still defaulting to 2007.

Happy New Year and Happy Erging! And PM me your name and e-mail address if you want to join or add family members. :D

Schenley
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

Surf Scoter
1k Poster

Day 2

Post by Surf Scoter » January 2nd, 2008, 9:44 pm

It's fun to see DAFT listed on the team standings. I find myself more motivated already! Thanks again, Schenley for getting us going. Today, however, I cut my thumb on a piece of glass--right before I planned to row--so, I hope to get back on the board tomorrow. How's everyone else doing on day 2????

jemima
Paddler

Post by jemima » January 3rd, 2008, 2:11 am

Is it too late to add another member on our DAFT team? My daughter Joanna is 7, maybe she could compete with Nicholas. She hasn't rowed for a while, but maybe I could encourage her to if she joined the team.

Joanna is a member of ducks in a row, but my 11 yo son rows too, but isn't a member of a team because DIAR is females only. Do you know of a suitable team he could join? Maybe we couldn start a team for children. I did search and didn't find one.

When is Nicholas' birthday? Joanna is June 11th.

Tina

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » January 3rd, 2008, 2:35 pm

It's never too late to join. PM me the info, and I'll sign up Joanna and your son.

Nicholas' usual team is the Arizona Outlaws because that's the team Dad is on. If your son wants to be on a team, you could just go through the list of virtual teams and see if one of the names strikes his fancy. Then contact a member to find out about joining.

Nicholas' b-day is July 11, so they are very close. :D I'm trying to get Susan's daughter signed up (having trouble), so we might be able to have a trio of little ergers.

I have got to get to the supermarket or I surely won't have time for an erg today. :?

Schenley
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

TVChikee
Paddler

Post by TVChikee » January 4th, 2008, 6:52 pm

We are 12th today. I am so surprised at some of the numbers on the honor boards. The leader has over 300,000 meters....since Tuesday. That to me is crazy. I had a hard time getting in 200k in 33 days, never mind 300k in 4. WOW! Anyway, I am proud to be part of DAFT!

Also I got to do my first online row with Ellen (dataduck) and Pam L(sorry don't know your screen name here) and it was awesome. It really did force me to stay focused because I wanted to stay neck and neck with Pam.
Thanks!
Alison

Surf Scoter
1k Poster

Keep Rowing

Post by Surf Scoter » January 4th, 2008, 10:08 pm

I also cannot believe someone putting in over 300,000 meters in 3 days!! Sheesh! I see the Ducks are holding 12th place and just 1,000m ahead of the 13th place--so keep rowing!!! I put in 15,000m today--my highest in a day so far--10k in the am and 5k after lunch. I'm catching up for taking 2 days off. This is great fun!

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » January 5th, 2008, 12:38 am

The DAFTers have been posting some meters - we're up to 10th, but it's pretty tight from 10th to 13th. :D
Schenley
Wife of Jeff

Keep on rowing!
Paddler

Post by Keep on rowing! » January 6th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Schenley & Tina-
My little one Savannah is close to your kid's in age. She is 7, will be 8 June 17. She would love to come aboard the ducks as well as the JVC. Maybe we can get them set up to motivate each other. Let me know what you guys think.
Have a great day all.
Lori :)

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » January 6th, 2008, 9:50 pm

:shock: I'm amazed at how many 7 yr old we have on this team. I think it's great that they all want to do it.

All 3 of my boys have now decided to participate. The oldest hasn't erged for a while, so I was caught off guard when he went out last night and did 5,500 m in 30:07. Yikes! He's hot on my heels. He'll be faster than I am in no time!

Lori - sent you a PM. Dena has to add the children, so I've e-mailed her.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Schenley
Schenley
Wife of Jeff

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » January 13th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Life is getting in way, but thanks to Ellen and all of you on the team I haven't slunk quietly away into the night yet.

Hubbie had cataract surgery this week, and I am the nurse and chauffeur now. You wouldn't think driving one old guy around would take so much time...

I signed up for this year's Nonathlon and have done the shorter pieces. Now for the 10,000m and up ones. I am playing faster music now, so I think progress is being made.

It always takes me 3 weeks of erging to get into good enough shape to begin enjoying the effort. This is the hump week.

Join me on the http://www.nonathlon.com/ if you haven't done so already. There are so many targets to shoot for (short and long) that I can row however I want and some time or distance will fit the bill. I'm currently ranked 194th. I'm sure you can do better than that.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

Keep on rowing!
Paddler

Post by Keep on rowing! » January 13th, 2008, 3:40 pm

How is everyone doing? It seems quiet on the boards which means everyone must be rowing. So far I am meeting/surpassing my goals. I have been doing about 10k a day 5-6 days a week. I hope you all are feeling well and be proud of whatever you do! Have a great day all.
Lori

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » January 17th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Did my first 10,000 after a year off. I felt better about myself even if I did binge out on double chocolate ice cream the night before.

I had my 30 yo Kinks 'Low Budget" album on. I especially like 'Gallon of Gas' (gas shortage lyrics) and Superman.

How are all you other Challengers doing? I'm cleaning the basement this week. How in the world did we manage to collect 8 boxes of wire, TV-stereo cables, telephone cords, etc??

grams

You gotta let out the tension
With a little bit of exercise
Loosen up your muscles
And feel the knots in your body untie
(from Kinks song 'National Health')
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » January 17th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Congrats on the 10k grams.

I've been a bit sluggish for the past couple of months, and am feeling strong this week. Several hour long rows, and did a 15k last night. I am getting in shape for a conference I will be attending soon. In fact, I won't be finishing the challenge. I leave for the conference in Patagonia on the 26th. I've been trying to get as much hiking in as I can right now. I find that hiking or bike riding seems to help my rowing.

We've been a quiet group. How is everyone else doing?

Pam

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » January 18th, 2008, 12:58 pm

Good job Grams and Pam! I'm struggling a bit with motivation and energy. My erg times are pretty sluggish even for me. I'm still on track for a 100K month, but I'm not sure I'll make it. I started off strong, but then the kids went back to school. For some reason, that really slowed me down.

Come on gang - keep on erging! If we get more chit chat going here, I bet we'll feel more motivated. :D

Schenley
Schenley
Wife of Jeff

Surf Scoter
1k Poster

Yes, Keep the momentum going!!

Post by Surf Scoter » January 18th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Great to hear how you are all doing. I was off 2 days this week for a headcold. The first one in 6 years, so I'm not complaining. I rowed 10K last night and am on track to finish 200K by the end of the month. I still haven't done a nonstop 10K, but that will be next. Thanks Grams for the tip on the Nonathlon--more fun! I also did a PB on the 5,000K the other day. Let's keep it going and inch our way back up to 12th place!