Warming up

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Warming up

Post by Bob S. » January 4th, 2008, 1:25 pm

There is an interesting thread currently running on the UK forum regarding Eddie Fletcher's warm up plan:

http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Bob S.

Elamonta
1k Poster

Post by Elamonta » January 4th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Wow...I was just looking at this over on the other forum...very weird...definitely looks like a good warmup...problem is often our coach doesn't give us that long to warmup lol...
Height: 6'0
Weight: 160lbs
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1205288465.png[/img]
(Season bests)

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » January 4th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Elamonta wrote:Wow...I was just looking at this over on the other forum...very weird...definitely looks like a good warmup...problem is often our coach doesn't give us that long to warmup lol...
Elamonta,

Note that Fletcher has designed that specifically as preparation for a 2K erg race. I don't think that it was intended to apply to general training sessions. For longer race or time trial distances, like 5Ks or 6Ks, a shorter warm up would probably be OK, since you don't have to rev up your system to the same intensity. For a 500m or 1K, a longer warm up might be beneficial. I believe that Mike Caviston has gone into a lot more detail about this in his messages about the importance of proper warming up.

In my college days (the 1940s), our coach figured that the 2 3/4 mile row to the start of our three mile races was a good warm up for the race. This also included a few practice starts along the way — similar to the three sprint pieces in the Eddie Fletcher warm up.

Bob S.
Last edited by Bob S. on January 4th, 2008, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elamonta
1k Poster

Post by Elamonta » January 4th, 2008, 5:18 pm

Sorry I meant to put in 2k race lol...when we do our 2k timed tests our coach tells us to warm-up however much we need to, and 95% of the team warms up for 3 minutes maybe a little more and calls the quits...which would leave me erging for another 17 while they waited...although that would be an interesting strategy to cool them down before the race lol...i doubt my coach would wait...that is what i meant to write in the other post...

For longer pieces I normally just do a 5-10 minute warmup to get the blood flowing...
Height: 6'0
Weight: 160lbs
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1205288465.png[/img]
(Season bests)

TabbRows
2k Poster

Post by TabbRows » January 4th, 2008, 5:23 pm

Mike C.'s 2 K warmup is actually more intense than the Fletcher warmup. Mike includes a 4K of various pacings and intensity, a 2800 alternating 400 on 400 off and a 1500 at near race pace. I'd be dead before the 2K if I were to do Mike's full warmup.

If all you have is 20 minutes, the Fletcher warmup makes for an interesting workout versus busting it all to see how much of a 5K you can slip in. Or try it at a faster 2k pace level than your target 2K pace.

You can also adjust some of the time lengths ( say drop 4' to 2' and 1' to 30s) and get in a decent warmup for pilates or balance classes or before a weight workout, if pressed for time.
M 64 76 kg

"Sit Down! Row Hard! Go Nowhere!"

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » January 4th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Elamonta wrote:Sorry I meant to put in 2k race lol...when we do our 2k timed tests our coach tells us to warm-up however much we need to, and 95% of the team warms up for 3 minutes maybe a little more and calls the quits...which would leave me erging for another 17 while they waited...although that would be an interesting strategy to cool them down before the race lol...i doubt my coach would wait...that is what i meant to write in the other post...
Elamonta,

Thanks for qualifying that. It seems that your crew mates need a little education about proper warmup. I just wonder what would be a diplomatic was of spreading the word.

Bob S.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » January 4th, 2008, 6:24 pm

To me that does not look like that hard warmup:
In Summary it is:

1) 12 minutes going from 50 to 60% of 2K power
2) ~13 strokes at 80% of 2K power (or what for me is just under 10K race pace), followed by 2 minutes easy (50% power)
3) ~21 strokes at 90% 2K power followed by 2 minutes easy (50% power)
4) ~16 strokes at 108% of 2K power followed by 2 minutes easy (50% power)

Basically it is pretty easy rowing for twenty minutes with three brief intense intervals. It is much less then Mike Caviston's race prep which is 7500m and includes 400m faster then race pace.

What I came to on my own was something much less formalized. I do start with a power 10 usually at about 70% of 2K watts. then drop it down to about 60% for 200-300m. Then do another power 10. I increase the pressure and length by 5 strokes of each power peace until I've done a one or two power 30s at about race pace. How long the warm ups are and how long the rests are depend on how I'm feeling. I will usually do a power interval at least every 500m and my overall average is usually much higher then Eddie or Mike recommends. I usually don't do a warm ups as long as mike recommends for races. But only have done OTW races where warmup distance is sometimes limited

The last head race I did I only got about 5 minutes on the erg then a 3K row to the start with 1 power 10 and 2 power 20s at race pace. This was in a quad so I had to accommodate others. It was OK but I felt definitely sub optimal. My 2nd to last 5K head race was a good warm up. 15 minutes on the erg, a few power 25s at below my 2K race pace. Average about 70% of 2K power. It was about 20 mintues before I could get on the water, and about 3K row to the start with a number of power 10s and 20s. These efforts were hard but focused on technique and the easy rowing is much lighter then on the erg. Then 10 minutes waiting at the start. That was good warmup. The two race before that was just 5K warmup on the water with something like 3 power 10s, 4 power 15s, 2 power 20s and 2 power 30s starting at close to 5K pace and finishing above 2k pace. These were decent. The race before that was a half marathon which I only got in about 500m warm up and one power 10. Net results 3 wins, 2 second places. One thing my wife commented on was that we (a double except for the one quad) row better during the races then in workouts. I think the warm ups definitely made a difference there.

I just started experimenting more with Mike's warm up. I prefer more distance then he recommends for L3 and L4 workouts and at a higher pace. It actually has been an effort to slow down for the recovery pace and wait as long as he recommends between the harder efforts. Don't have an opinion yet on whether his are better then what I was doing or not.

I think any number of methods will work well, but there is something to be said for formalizing the warm up.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Quick Step's Warm Up for the Tour of California Prologue

Post by Nosmo » February 25th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Here is a picture that the professional bicycle racing team, Quick Step (including world champion Tom Boonen) used for the Prologue of the Tour of California.
http://tinyurl.com/ys6ucq
Note it is a 70 minute warm up for an approximately four minute race. I think the hand written parts indicate that the first fifty odd minutes are done on rollers (a trainer) and the last 18 or so is done on the bike.
Certainly doesn't make Mike Caviston's plan seem excessive.

SB 967
Paddler

Post by SB 967 » February 25th, 2008, 4:39 pm

A warm up should always be specific to the event/distance and the individuals ability. Shorter more intense session, longer warm up with some sub interval/race pace efforts. Longer session, shorter warm up. Time will always be a factor as well, as some of us row during lunch hours the warm ups will be shorter. There is the consideration of age, as we get older we require a longer more progressive warm and equally so a longer cool down. This will help to offset the incidences of arrhythmias, this can occur in older adults who take part in sports and fail to allow adequate time for warm ups and cool downs.

I reckon having a specific warm up for each of your set sessions is the best way, you establish a good routine this way. I also agree with Eddie Fletcher in the respect that some athletes do not warm up adequately and therefore perform below their best. Mike Caviston also said that he includes his warm up and cool down millage as quality meters in his weekly totals.