PM3 water damage

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
dctsmith
Paddler

PM3 water damage

Post by dctsmith » December 28th, 2007, 4:12 am

Hi all,

Yes....I'm an idiot. The other night I forgot to put my model d away properly and it rained heavily. It was on its end and this exposed the PM3 to the rain via the logcard port. With the benefit of hindsight I should have pulled it apart and tried to dry it that morning. I've saved a couple of cellphones that have been submerged.

It is a complete no go. I've pulled it apart and I can see some corrosion around various areas.

Is there anything I can do. I'm considering rubbing it down with isopropyl alcohol!

Otherwise it looks like I'm splashing out for a PM4

Cheers

Duncan

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » December 28th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Duncan, You should be able to save it. Here are the disassembly instructions: http://www.concept2.com/us/support/manu ... sembly.pdf
Take it apart and let it air dry out. Isopropyl on any corrosion would be worth a try. Also make sure the ribbon cable connector to the lcd is dry. Replace the batteries if it's still not working. C2JonW
72 year old grandpa living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee 1980-2018! and what a long, strange trip it's been......

dctsmith
Paddler

Post by dctsmith » December 28th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Going again, phew!

Corrosion came of well with isopropyl, put it back together and away it went.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » December 29th, 2007, 9:27 am

dctsmith wrote:Going again, phew!
Just goes to prove that ergs won't float (and if they did you'd want to take the monitor off first).

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » December 29th, 2007, 11:15 am

My club has an erg that somehow managed to fall off the dock into the salt water lake. Some how I don't think alcohol will fix the PM3!

It has a sign on it that says "bad erg!" It should say "bad erger!"

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » December 31st, 2007, 10:27 am

Nosmo- If the dunked monitor had been immediately flushed with clean water, then disassembled and dried it would probably be salvagable. It might still be worth a try. I'd go with light aplication of WD40 and gentle scrubbing with a soft toothbrush to any salt or corrosion found inside and on the circuit board. Reclean with alcohol, reassemble, replace the batteries and cross your fingers....C2JonW
72 year old grandpa living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee 1980-2018! and what a long, strange trip it's been......

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » January 2nd, 2008, 4:08 pm

c2jonw wrote:Nosmo- If the dunked monitor had been immediately flushed with clean water, then disassembled and dried it would probably be salvagable. It might still be worth a try. I'd go with light aplication of WD40 and gentle scrubbing with a soft toothbrush to any salt or corrosion found inside and on the circuit board. Reclean with alcohol, reassemble, replace the batteries and cross your fingers....C2JonW
Yes I will try that. Unfortunately the sign was on it for months before I found out what happened. I'm not optimistic.

Ron
Paddler

Post by Ron » January 3rd, 2008, 3:09 am

I do not know if this would apply to a PM3/4 but they say that if your cell phone falls into water that you should submerge the phone in RICE (which is a dessicant....absorbs water). I would imagine that you would leave it for a long while (days). Not sure if this is a meaningful suggestion or not, but I just thought I'd mention it.
The Buckeye State
Go Bucks