Holiday Challenge!

Sicilianna
Paddler

Hooray... I smell.....

Post by Sicilianna » December 13th, 2007, 2:41 pm

woolsmith wrote:
......Sicilianna--Those meters piling up sure do get addicting, don't they? And some of those long, slow rows can sure get those feel-good endorphins flying. Gotta love those endorphins! Funny how after a long row, the next row seems easier. When I first started this HC, I worked to get 6k done, and now I can do 10k or more, no sweat. Well, okay, a little sweat. :D .....
Thanks!
--Jen in WI
Hello Jen,

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, indeed piling up the meters is addicting. I'm now very pleased I made the decision to purchase my Model E.

Funny story about "sweat" to share. People with peripheral neuropathy can sometimes have things progress to a point where the nerves that affect automatic functions such as sweating and breathing can be affected. It was not uncommon for me to spend much time on an elliptical machine only to come off dry and very red faced. Sweating was something my body was simply not doing very well any more. I was beginning to think that my peripheral neuropathy was getting the better of me.

After a month of rowing regularly, I'm happy to report that is changing. That can only mean good things.

I'm up to 95,213 HC meters.

Hooray I smell! :lol:

Sicilianna

"...Only God never changes."
St. Theresa of Avila

TVChikee
Paddler

Excited to smell

Post by TVChikee » December 13th, 2007, 4:35 pm

Ok...so although I don't share the peripheral neuropathy......I so excited to smell bad!

When I got this challenge I knew that I would be able to do 100,000 and wanted to push myself to 200,000....with only 50,000 meters to go....I am so excited.

This was exactly what I needed right now to make me stay focused on my goals for a while!

Excited to stink!

Alison

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » December 16th, 2007, 9:55 pm

We are certainly a quiet group right now! Hope the challenge is going well for everyone. I think I will complete my 200k in a day or so. At about 180k now. I have to finish by the 20th, so I've been pushing the meters.

I have tried something new this past week which seems to be working well for both me and my 7 yo son. I am rowing several short pieces at a moderate to low intensity pace. I've been doing 3000m 4 to 5 times per day. Takes me about 15min. Breaks of 30min to several hours in between. This has helped keep me from feeling so over trained as I get if I row an hour each day. I have been able to do 12-18k per day with no difficulty. My son has done 1-2k rows several times each day, and is doing well with it. He should complete the challenge this week.

If you are finding yourself getting over tired, and still needing to rack up the meters, try several short rows over the day instead of one longer row. It will help keep you from tiring so badly and also help prevent overuse and muscle soreness.

Keep up the good rowing ducks!

Pam

woolsmith
Paddler

Post by woolsmith » December 16th, 2007, 10:48 pm

Yup, I don't perspire, I SWEAT! And for some reason, I seem to sweat more on the left side of my body than the right.

Wow, Widgeon, you're almost there! And Surf Scoter, you're kicking tailfeathers, too! And sounds like you're going to hit that 200K instead of the 100K, hey? That's gotta feel pretty good for ya's. I hit the 140,000 mark today, so I'm getting there. I've been doing at least 10k per session, so six more days of rowing, and I should have the HC 2007 Pin.

So TVChikee and Sicilianna--we can all "tink" together!! :lol:

Keep on rowing, y'all!

--Jen in WI

hev
Paddler

Post by hev » December 17th, 2007, 1:04 pm

I'm still going strong(ish). The run up to Christmas is slowing me down, as I become more of a taxi service for my 2 children. I managed another 1/2 marathon - just felt like it, and I had had to miss a few days because of the aforementioned. I've just under 3000 metres left to go, and I will so enjoy doing them. My hands have now toughened up, I just hope the hardened skin doesn't fall off in lumps. I'm sure I would have lost weight, but I went for the - see how much more I can eat without putting on weight - It turns out quite a lot :D :D .
Santa IS bringing me my very own C2 on Friday. Can't wait, as I usually see a big dip in excercise in the holidays when the kids are at home.
Happy Rowing!!

Surf Scoter
1k Poster

Almost there!!

Post by Surf Scoter » December 17th, 2007, 10:01 pm

Hey, it is great to see the latest updates on everyone. It sounds like you are all doing great. Good idea to break up the workout. I can see how you could put in a lot more meters that way. I tend to suit up in my biking duds and go do 8-10,000m. I'm retired and do not have the responsibilities that some of you have, so I congratulate you for hanging in there and making the time. My weight seems to be holding pretty steady. I'm only down about 1/2 lb. :( Gee, I expected to lose more as I've more than doubled my average meters. My arms are getting bigger, though. Row On.

Surf Scoter
1k Poster

Oh

Post by Surf Scoter » December 17th, 2007, 10:02 pm

Oh, I forgot to report I am at 180,375 meters and counting down!!!

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » December 18th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Finished my 200k today. My son is getting close to meeting his challenge too, hopefully today. Not too many 7yo on the challenge board, so I'm anxious to add another!

Keep up the good rowing ducks!

Pam

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » December 18th, 2007, 9:45 pm

YES!!!! Alex, 7, finished his 50k kids challenge tonight!! This is the third year he has tried to complete the challenge, and we finally made it! I am so proud of the boy! He is a type 1 diabetic, so we had to be careful not to make him "low sugar" from the exercise. A few "uncovered" carbs and go...exercise potentiates the effects of insulin. Only three kids under age 10 on the honor board so far.

My daughter, Theresa, 9, was unable to complete the challenge due to a raging case of bronchitis. she's been working at it for the past three years, and came very close last year. This cold has been rough. Attempts at rowing still put her into coughing fits a couple of days ago, and we decided to concede the challenge at that time; but there is always next year! She's very excited at how well Alex has done, and I think more determined to go for next years challenge!

Keep rowing ducks, we're almost there!

Pam

TVChikee
Paddler

First HM

Post by TVChikee » December 19th, 2007, 8:55 am

Ok....so I finally did it...my first Half Marathon. I have no idea if my time is good or not and I had to stop with 2500 left to go to turn my socks inside out because the new blisters on my heels were screaming....but I finished and that was about my only goal. With just under 19000 to I will hopefully finish up tomorrow. However, the challenge seemed easier in the beginning of the month because there were not as many other commitments so it is absolutely getting harder to finish up.

Anyway, I was proud of my Half Marathon and I knew the Ducks would be too!

Good luck with finishing up!
Alison

Surf Scoter
1k Poster

Bravo!!

Post by Surf Scoter » December 19th, 2007, 3:47 pm

Bravo for Alex. That's fantastic. He must feel great about it. Also Bravo for Alison doing a HM. How many meters is that?? I see on my PM3 there is a workout at 42,000 and something. I think that must be a full marathon. What is the official length you set in for the HM??? Maybe I'll get there one of these days. Also, does anyone know if the DUCKS are going to join the Virtual Challenge in January?? I don't see the ducks listed and I'm not sure who would be the team leader to do that?? I plan to join a team and it would be fun to stick with the ducks.

hev
Paddler

Post by hev » December 19th, 2007, 4:04 pm

I've done it :D :D Finished today and I am pretty chuffed. Wasn't sure how I'd do when I started out, being new to it and all. Hope to keep the rowing up - now I'm getting my own machine, and the January challenge should help with that. Just need to find a team.

Surf Scoter
1k Poster

Finished!!

Post by Surf Scoter » December 19th, 2007, 9:09 pm

Way to go, Hev. I just finished too! :D :D I also am looking for a team for the January challenge and wonder if the Ducks are going to be represented?? Well, it feels good to be done. I think tomorrow I'll ride my bike!!

Mary P.
Paddler

Post by Mary P. » December 19th, 2007, 9:58 pm

Another just finished the 200K :D . Today, 5am I finished in doing the warm up for a 8x4' almost race pace workout from the UK site interactive plan. Now have done every Holiday Challenge (LOTS of pins & over 24MM recorded).

Hope my 15 yo son can finish the challenge, too. He's done the 50K, but I challenged him to the 100K, with incentives :!:

Good on all the moms who get their kids to do this - consistent exercise REALLY pays off in the long run.

TVChikee
Paddler

Post by TVChikee » December 20th, 2007, 11:47 am

The length of a HM is 21097.

Congrats to those who have finished. I have about 19000 left to go and since it is a snow day here in the Northeast (I am a teacher) I am planning to finish today. Hopefully the blisters hold out. I am going to try to break it up and finish it out. Maybe there will be another post letting you know that I finished!

YAY!