anybody have a Model D I can try out?

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
larkl
Paddler

anybody have a Model D I can try out?

Post by larkl » December 16th, 2007, 2:07 pm

I might buy a Model D but I'm curious about the noise level. I tried one in a gym but it was VERY noisy, there were 10 or 20 people working out right nearby and I couldn't tell how loud it was, also I don't think it was well lubed, the chain was noisy. It would be great if I could try one in someone's house, say try my usual half-hour workout and see whether it seems reasonable to listen to a book on CD while rowing ... I live in Ithaca NY and anywhere within an hour or so would be fine. I'd be willing to pay for the privilege.
I row at about a 2:23 pace, so it wouldn't be as loud as say a hefty guy who rows at a 2:00 pace. I haven't been training long though so my pace will probably get faster.

Laura

ckaiserca
1k Poster

Post by ckaiserca » December 16th, 2007, 2:14 pm

I have Model D at home at it is quiet enough that I can row while my wife naps in the next room. It is also quiet enough that we can carry on a fairly normal conversation while she works at the desk in the office where the erg is located.

That being said, it can be somewhat louder if you are really working hard (say a 2K time trial), but even then it is quieter than a vacuum cleaner, and our little Chihuahua Maya will sleep right under the fan housing while I am working out. Listening to music or watching television seems to present no trouble, but I can't get the volume for a DVD up loud enough for catching all of the subtle sounds (DVDs have a lower volume level on both my computer system and on my home theatre system than regular television or music CDs), so I wear a pair of wireless headphones when I watch a movie or television series on DVD.

I find the sound to be a satisfying WOOSH, that makes it seem as if work is being done. YMMV.

I would have no problem if you wanted to swing by the house and try it out, but I think that Aurora, Ontario might be a bit out of your way :-)
Last edited by ckaiserca on December 16th, 2007, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Started with my Model D on June 11, 2007
M 46 6'2" (1.87m) 233lbs (105.9kg)
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1184862882.png[/img]

Rowing for Eight Million!

larkl
Paddler

Post by larkl » December 16th, 2007, 3:00 pm

ckaiserca wrote:I have Model D at home at it is quiet enough that I can row while my wife naps in the next room. It is also quiet enough that we can carry on a fairly normal conversation while she works at the desk in the office where the erg is located..
I find the sound to be a satisfying WOOSH, that makes it seem as if work is being done. YMMV.
Yes satisfying whooshes are nice feedback as long as not so loud you can't listen to a CD. Is a satisfying whoosh the only sound it makes if well maintained? The one I tried at a gym made a loud scrape/rattle as the chain came out.
I would have no problem if you wanted to swing by the house and try it out, but I think that Aurora, Ontario might be a bit out of your way :-)
It is a bit :) I did go to Toronto and about an hour into the countryside north of it a couple years ago to buy a puppy, but don't think I'd go quite that far to listen to a rowing machine.
What kind of wireless headphones do you use? I have been looking into the headphones thing a little, apparently you can copy the content of a CD to an Ipod shuffle or something like that, stick it in a shirt pocket or wear it around your neck. The wireless headphones I read about were said to be uncomfortable. And anything that's bulky around your ears would get all smeary with sweat ...
Laura

paul s
1k Poster

Post by paul s » December 16th, 2007, 3:18 pm

There was a post on Dec 8 about wireless headphones in the General section. Those sounded like they would be ideal.

Paul Salata
69 - 270lbs - PB (Classified for reasons of embarressment)

ckaiserca
1k Poster

Post by ckaiserca » December 16th, 2007, 3:35 pm

paul s wrote:There was a post on Dec 8 about wireless headphones in the General section. Those sounded like they would be ideal.

Paul Salata
Yes, they are the ones that I use. The topic is HERE

chgoss
10k Poster

Re: anybody have a Model D I can try out?

Post by chgoss » December 16th, 2007, 3:54 pm

larkl wrote:I might buy a Model D but I'm curious about the noise level. I tried one in a gym but it was VERY noisy,
My first erg was a Model B, which was VERY loud... when I bought the D, I was very unhappy initially not to have that turbine noise.. The D struck me as way to quiet, just a "ssssssssss" noise..

In any case, I can row at a 2:00 pace and comfortably listen to a movie with the kids..

Ithaca, I grew up in Richford (on route 79, between Ithaca and Whitney Point)!!!!

cheers
-chad
52 M 6'2" 200 lbs 2k-7:03.9
1 Corinthians 15:3-8

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » December 16th, 2007, 9:19 pm

Sounds like the machine you tried at the club may be a C. The C makes alot more chain noise than the D. I currently own both a C and a D. The main reason I purchased the D is because I spend time watching TV with the kids while rowing. The family reported a significant decrease in noise with the D. It is not completely silent, but I can easily row with TV or music, or with someone sleeping in the next room. Sound is from air through the cage. Louder with more aggressive rowing.

C2 web site has a machine locater. Might see what is available in your area using that tool. Happy to let you try my machines if you wish to brave ice storms and come to OKC area!

Pam

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » December 16th, 2007, 11:01 pm

ckaiserca wrote:I find the sound to be a satisfying WOOSH, that makes it seem as if work is being done.
Mine was making that whoosh sound on certain rows, and then I realized it was my breathing not the erg.

Now I focus on breathing more quietly and the erg is more quiet as well. :)
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

larkl
Paddler

Post by larkl » December 29th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Widgeon wrote:Sounds like the machine you tried at the club may be a C. The C makes alot more chain noise than the D. Sound is from air through the cage.
It was definitely a model D. It's probably much used and not much maintained, I've heard things about them being quieter if well maintained.

So all you hear is that whooshing noise, not chain scraping in and out, if it's maintained?

I looked up the post about wireless headphones but I couldn't see where it said what the good wireless headphones were?

I just got my half-hour pace down to 2:20 :)

Laura

ckaiserca
1k Poster

Post by ckaiserca » December 30th, 2007, 6:15 pm

There is a link for the headphones in Tinphusher's post. Go to that post, and look for the reply from Tinpusher and click on the word "these" where it says "I use these."

larkl
Paddler

Post by larkl » January 2nd, 2008, 7:50 am

ckaiserca wrote:There is a link for the headphones in Tinphusher's post. Go to that post, and look for the reply from Tinpusher and click on the word "these" where it says "I use these."
I found the link, thanks. It doesn't show up on my browser as a link, that's why I didn't see it before.
So when you use headphones that cover your ears like that, it doesn't
cause a problem with sweat? I don't know how sweaty my ears get :) But my bod in general sweats a lot.
Laura