Just Wanna Brag

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] dneiss

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] dneiss » June 8th, 2005, 12:06 am

Started rowing 1/2 hour a day on C2 model C at gym about 6 months ago. Bought my model D about a month ago to get up to 1 hour a day (1/2 hr in morning and 1/2 hour in evenings). Will be reducing my rowing time shortly and trade it off for some weight/strength training. Im up to about 320k now, shooting for my 1M free t-shirt.<br /><br />That along with changing my diet (substitued fruit juice for sodas, got rid of most of my Starbucks Frapaccinos, packed lunch for work, ate at home instead of fast food, oatmeal with fresh fruit in morning instead of sugar cereal with whole milk, baby spinish salad most days instead of regular salad, stopped going to the candy machine at work and brought something healthier from home) and now down about 8 lbs. But, got really good news from my doctor today. My cholesterol ratio dropped from 4.7 to 4.0 over this time, and LDLs reduced from 138 down to 122!<br /><br />I ordered a Polar heart monitor so I can better guage my exersion level during rowing to make sure im woking in the right zone. Should get it tomorrow and will start rowing with that next.<br /><br /> <br /><br /><br />

[old] izrbluer

Post by [old] izrbluer » June 8th, 2005, 8:07 am

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>WTG</span>! Keep up the good work. I'm looking to do a 1 million too. It will probably take a while but I think that will be a great way to stay consistant over the summer.<br /><br />I love my HR monitor - great tool. But right now it is uncomfortable while I row. I'm just getting my time in, adding some walking, Bowflex and DVDs in thru the week - and I'll check back with it in a month or so. The worst tool I'm finding to have - the SCALE! grrrr.<br /><br />Kris</span></span><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-dneiss+Jun 8 2005, 12:06 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dneiss @ Jun 8 2005, 12:06 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Started rowing 1/2 hour a day on C2 model C at gym about 6 months ago. Bought my model D about a month ago to get up to 1 hour a day (1/2 hr in morning and 1/2 hour in evenings). Will be reducing my rowing time shortly and trade it off for some weight/strength training. Im up to about 320k now, shooting for my 1M free t-shirt.<br /><br />That along with changing my diet (substitued fruit juice for sodas, got rid of most of my Starbucks Frapaccinos, packed lunch for work, ate at home instead of fast food, oatmeal with fresh fruit in morning instead of sugar cereal with whole milk, baby spinish salad most days instead of regular salad, stopped going to the candy machine at work and brought something healthier from home) and now down about 8 lbs. But, got really good news from my doctor today.  My cholesterol ratio dropped from 4.7 to 4.0 over this time, and LDLs reduced from 138 down to 122!<br /><br />I ordered a Polar heart monitor so I can better guage my exersion level during rowing to make sure im woking in the right zone.  Should get it tomorrow and will start rowing with that next.<br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » June 8th, 2005, 3:54 pm

<span style='color:green'>Hi, all,<br /><br />I did my first 10,000 meter row today! Yeah! I didn't think I was going to get all the way through, but I got my second wind with about 3000 meters left and felt good all the way to the end. At 1:03:23.3, I'm not last on the ranking board for my age group. <br /><br />I use a HR montior, but I have a Mio, which is a watch. I have to pause from rowing for a few seconds to check my HR, but I like it. I've never liked the idea of a chest strap.</span>

[old] izrbluer

Post by [old] izrbluer » June 8th, 2005, 5:34 pm

<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='color:blue'>WTG Bobbi!! Your an inspiration to the rest of us. <br /><br />Kris</span></span><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jun 8 2005, 03:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jun 8 2005, 03:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Hi, all,<br /><br />I did my first 10,000 meter row today! Yeah! I didn't think I was going to get all the way through, but I got my second wind with about 3000 meters left and felt good all the way to the end. At 1:03:23.3, I'm not last on the ranking board for my age group.  <br /><br />I use a HR montior, but I have a Mio, which is a watch. I have to pause from rowing for a few seconds to check my HR, but I like it. I've never liked the idea of a chest strap.</span> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] chipman

Post by [old] chipman » June 8th, 2005, 10:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-izrbluer+Jun 8 2005, 02:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(izrbluer @ Jun 8 2005, 02:34 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='color:blue'>WTG Bobbi!! Your an inspiration to the rest of us. <br /><br />Kris</span></span><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-NurseBobbi+Jun 8 2005, 03:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(NurseBobbi @ Jun 8 2005, 03:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:green'>Hi, all,<br /><br />I did my first 10,000 meter row today! Yeah! I didn't think I was going to get all the way through, but I got my second wind with about 3000 meters left and felt good all the way to the end. At 1:03:23.3, I'm not last on the ranking board for my age group.  <br /><br />I use a HR montior, but I have a Mio, which is a watch. I have to pause from rowing for a few seconds to check my HR, but I like it. I've never liked the idea of a chest strap.</span> <br /> </td></tr></table> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Heart Rate monitors are like scales. It always tells you something you don't want to know!<br /><br />Congrats on your first 10000. It really gives you a sense of accomplishment and the feeling of improvement from the first time we did 20 minutes and then 5000. Just think, by the end of summer I bet you will do a half-marathon! In gambling terms it's called 'a lock'.<br /><br />Thanks again for starting this team. I find myself checking the team stats right after I post my rows. Top 10 here we come. Now if only my other team, the SF Giants get off their ass and start playing like big leaguers!

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » June 8th, 2005, 10:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> did my first 10,000 meter row today! Yeah! I didn't think I was going to get all the way through, but I got my second wind with about 3000 meters left and felt good all the way to the end. At 1:03:23.3, I'm not last on the ranking board for my age group </td></tr></table><br />Atta-Girl Bobbi!<br /><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I ordered a Polar heart monitor so I can better guage my exersion level during rowing to make sure im woking in the right zone. Should get it tomorrow and will start rowing with that next.<br /> </td></tr></table><br />I've used the heart monitor for about 2 months now and really like it. Gives great feedback on the quality of the workout.

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » June 8th, 2005, 11:05 pm

<span style='color:blue'>Thanks again for starting this team. I find myself checking the team stats right after I post my rows. Top 10 here we come. Now if only my other team, the SF Giants get off their ass and start playing like big leaguers! </span><br /><br /><span style='color:green'>Actually, Specialt started the team. She's been busy at work, but I hope we see her back here soon.<br /><br />I just got back from watching my other team--The Washington Nationals. You have a much cooler ballpark, though.</span>

[old] dneiss

Post by [old] dneiss » June 8th, 2005, 11:46 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback.<br /><br /><br />I got my Polar M61 heart rate monitor today. Im totally disgusted with the thing - the physical design of it and the difficulty in understanding how to use it. <br /><br />I normally wear a Nike Triax watch and im probably spoiled by it. Nike has done an absolutely fantastic ergonomic design of that watch with the integrated watch band, angled offset of the display to the band, large readout on the display, large buttons that are very easy to press and most importantly its easy to figure out how to use the thing.<br /><br />My first impressions of the M61 are that its the opposite. The band seems pretty flimsy compared to the thickness of the watch, the buttons are difficult to press, and the thing thats really got me pissed off is that the instructions and sequence of button presses are really hard to figure out. <br /><br />Get this, you have to change between 12 hour and 24 hour display modes to switch between metric and non metric weight & height. <br /><br />Im a software engineer and in my experience, it takes a special skill to design something to make it easy to use/intuitive, it doesnt just happen - ease of use has to be designed in. This thing doesnt have it. I guess im pretty pissed off because I figured this is a higher end HRM watch from a reputable company and my initial impressions dont match up with what my expectations of the thing would be.<br /><br />Im pretty seriously thinking of returning it and just getting a basic model from another company. Anyone else have an opinion on the M61?<br /><br /> <br />

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » June 9th, 2005, 5:50 pm

I use a Cardisport HRM. Very basic, very ugly, but it works, and is easy to understand (not that it has many functions!).<br /><br />Bit more bragging.<br /><br />Did my first half marathon tonight. lamentable time, but what the heck!<br /><br />Would have been faster if I hadn't spent the last 5,000 metres wriggling like an eel to try and change the pressure points on my butt. Gets very painful towards the end (in both senses!). And stopped for few seconds about 10K in to drink water.<br /><br />Ken

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » June 9th, 2005, 6:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Did my first half marathon tonight. lamentable time, but what the heck!<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I can't see anything wrong with your time, Ken. You beat my first try at the 1/2 marathon by 3 minutes.<br /><br />As far as your butt is concerned - it gets better. I didn't think mine would every get used to the seat but it finally has. I also purchased the foam pad from Concept2 and that helps.<br /><br />Congratulations on the 1/2 marathon. <br /><br />Kevin<br />

[old] eieiodin

Post by [old] eieiodin » June 9th, 2005, 8:49 pm

Way to go Bobbi and congrats Ken on the 1/2 marathon!<br /><br />

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » June 9th, 2005, 10:33 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-copywriter+Jun 9 2005, 05:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(copywriter @ Jun 9 2005, 05:50 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Did my first half marathon tonight. lamentable time, but what the heck!<br /><br />Would have been faster if I hadn't spent the last 5,000 metres wriggling like an eel to try and change the pressure points on my butt. Gets very painful towards the end (in both senses!). And stopped for few seconds about 10K in to drink water.<br /><br />Ken <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='color:green'>Congrats! You only stopped for water once? I read in the C2 training info that one should drink at least every half an hour. I was sipping my water more often than that during my 10K.</span>

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » June 13th, 2005, 10:45 am

Congrats Bobbi & Ken,<br />Great job both of you. Glad to see you kept on going!<br />After the first 10,000 it seems anything is possible. 1/2 marathon maybe!<br />Nice rowing!<br /><br />Mary

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » June 15th, 2005, 3:32 am

Anyone else beginning to discover little humps and bumps of muscle where before there was just smooth fat?

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » June 16th, 2005, 11:01 am

<span style='color:green'>I noticed that I have abdominal muscles under the flab! And the flab is slowing disappearing. It took awhile to get this way; it'll take awhile to get rid of it.<br /><br />I was slow but persistent today. I noticed that I was only a little more than 15K shy of 200K for the season, so I did it. All in one piece. Whew! I just took it slow so I wouldn't wear myself out. I rowed 15,382 meters in an hour and three-quarters.</span>