Setting The Drag

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] SeaRay

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] SeaRay » July 10th, 2005, 9:48 am

I read several discussions about setting the drag to around 120. on my model D there is a lever on the side of the fan with numbers on it... mine is at 3. Is that the drag? is that from an earlier model? and is 3 the proper setting for a noobie.<br /><br />thanks for your help,<br /><br />Ray

[old] Citroen

Post by [old] Citroen » July 10th, 2005, 11:20 am

<!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 10 2005, 02:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 10 2005, 02:48 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I read several discussions about setting the drag to around 120.  on my model D there is a lever on the side of the fan with numbers on it... mine is at 3.  Is that the drag?  is that from an earlier model?  and is 3 the proper setting for a noobie. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The damper lever controls the basic drag factor, but that isn't whole story. Drag factor can also be predicated on how clean the fan is.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/tels_tales.php?id=12' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/tels ... =12</a><br /><br />The PM3 monitor will display an exact drag factor. There's an option on the more info menu.<br /><br />I row all my stuff on a model C with the damper lever at 3 and a drag factor of 105-110. That feels comfortable to me. Starting on three is a good idea. Play with it, set it to seven, row 250m and see what you think. Set it to one and do the same. See how it affects your stroke rate. Set it to ten, and repeat the test.<br /><br />The other thing with drag factor is that you can use it to set two ergs up to feel the same. A model C with df 110 feels the same as a model D with the same drag factor, regardless of where the damper lever is set on each machine.

[old] bmoore

Post by [old] bmoore » July 15th, 2005, 1:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jul 10 2005, 11:20 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jul 10 2005, 11:20 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 10 2005, 02:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 10 2005, 02:48 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I read several discussions about setting the drag to around 120.  on my model D there is a lever on the side of the fan with numbers on it... mine is at 3.  Is that the drag?  is that from an earlier model?  and is 3 the proper setting for a noobie. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The damper lever controls the basic drag factor, but that isn't whole story. Drag factor can also be predicated on how clean the fan is.<br /><br /><a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/tels_tales.php?id=12' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/tels ... =12</a><br /><br />The PM3 monitor will display an exact drag factor. There's an option on the more info menu.<br /><br />I row all my stuff on a model C with the damper lever at 3 and a drag factor of 105-110. That feels comfortable to me. Starting on three is a good idea. Play with it, set it to seven, row 250m and see what you think. Set it to one and do the same. See how it affects your stroke rate. Set it to ten, and repeat the test.<br /><br />The other thing with drag factor is that you can use it to set two ergs up to feel the same. A model C with df 110 feels the same as a model D with the same drag factor, regardless of where the damper lever is set on each machine. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yesterday was my first row on a different machine. At home I have a C. The YMCA in Mesa has a D. I adjusted the DF to 120 for my workout, but it was set at an 8 instead of the usual 3-4 at home. I guess that's the lack of maintenance on the "public" machine.<br />

[old] Citroen

Post by [old] Citroen » July 15th, 2005, 2:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Jul 15 2005, 06:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Jul 15 2005, 06:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yesterday was my first row on a different machine.  At home I have a C.  The YMCA in Mesa has a D.  I adjusted the DF to 120 for my workout, but it was set at an 8 instead of the usual 3-4 at home.  I guess that's the lack of maintenance on the "public" machine. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That machine needs cleaning! Get the dust bunnies out of the fan and you should find that drag factor becomes more normal.<br /><br />Page 5 in<br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... to30_2.pdf' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... pdf</a><br />has the instructions.

[old] bmoore

Post by [old] bmoore » July 15th, 2005, 2:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Citroen+Jul 15 2005, 02:26 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Citroen @ Jul 15 2005, 02:26 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Jul 15 2005, 06:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Jul 15 2005, 06:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yesterday was my first row on a different machine.  At home I have a C.  The YMCA in Mesa has a D.  I adjusted the DF to 120 for my workout, but it was set at an 8 instead of the usual 3-4 at home.  I guess that's the lack of maintenance on the "public" machine. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That machine needs cleaning! Get the dust bunnies out of the fan and you should find that drag factor becomes more normal.<br /><br />Page 5 in<br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... to30_2.pdf' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... pdf</a><br />has the instructions. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />It wasn't my machine. I'll tell the YMCA that their machines need cleaning.<br /><br />It's funny that machines that don't get used that much need cleaning. The lady on the machine next to me commented after my warmup, that it looked like I got a good workout. I still had 13k of work to do, plus a cooldown. One of the trainers commented that I was giving the machine a good workout. If they only knew what a good workout the erg is, there'd 30 of them in each gym.

[old] Citroen

Post by [old] Citroen » July 15th, 2005, 4:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Jul 15 2005, 07:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Jul 15 2005, 07:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The lady on the machine next to me commented after my warmup, that it looked like I got a good workout.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I wrote this on the UK Forums yesterday:<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I saw three bad ergers yesterday:<br /><br />1. The girl that pulls to her navel, stops waits best part of five minutes, does the recovery and pulls again. She's a regular gym user. Hasn't a clue how to row.<br /><br />2. Another one pulling underhand. He's one of the free weights nutters. I've seen a few doing that, so one of the gym instructor must need a slap. I can't believe folks would do it without being told it's OK.<br /><br />3. Worst of all, big bloke, must have been over 6ft. Sits down, ties his feet in, braces his legs so the seat can't move. Pulls like a nutter, rolling his shoulders and rocking his hips. I don't know if he had a disability, but if he carries on he soon will have. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I wonder if your lady that thought a warm-up was a workout fits that list? What would she make of me? I've rowed 55K, so far, this week (I think that's the most I've done in any week - give or take whether I go to the gym tomorrow). That included a HM on Wednesday and another HM (0.5secs slower) today.

[old] littlebabysquirrel

Post by [old] littlebabysquirrel » July 17th, 2005, 9:13 am

My machine is a D and my boyfriend had it set to 6 or 7. I rowed that way for about a week before I realized I could change it. I set it to 4 for and found I lost time, however it way an easier workout (for a newbie). I still can't get good time, but it is helping work on my technique which I think is the most important thing for us newbies. I feel like once I have that down, my time will be automatically get faster. Jacquie (Thx for the welcome Mary...yes I do have a very large dog thank goodness! ha ha)