The Slower I Go, The Faster I Row

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] copywriter

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] copywriter » June 1st, 2005, 3:40 am

Interesting how much technique matters when erging. I keep nibbling away at my personal bests (took 40 seconds off my 10K last night), and have been concentrating on technique, especially getting my arms straight before foldng back my legs on the recovery. As a result my 10K SPM has dropped to 23 from 26, while my split has improved from 2.10.3 to 2.08.2. If this keeps up I shall be rowing 1 SPM by the end of the year!<br /><br />The other thing that helps my PB - I guess the same is true for the rest of us with a gut to lose - is that as the weight begins to come off, we can reach a little further forward in the catch (I fold-up a bit more easily) and pull a little further back, making the stroke a inch or two longer.<br /><br />I like to chase PBs because 1) it's motivation and 2) it ensures that I really do lift my metabolic rate instead of cruising at a comfortable speed.<br /><br />Anybody else finding the same?

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » June 1st, 2005, 7:45 am

<!--QuoteBegin-copywriter+Jun 1 2005, 03:40 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(copywriter @ Jun 1 2005, 03:40 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Interesting how much technique matters when erging. I keep nibbling away at my personal bests (took 40 seconds off my 10K last night), and have been concentrating on technique, especially getting my arms straight before foldng back my legs on the recovery. As a result my 10K SPM has dropped to 23 from 26, while my split has improved from 2.10.3 to 2.08.2. If this keeps up I shall be rowing 1 SPM by the end of the year!<br /><br />The other thing that helps my PB - I guess the same is true for the rest of us with a gut to lose - is that as the weight begins to come off, we can reach a little further forward in the catch (I fold-up a bit more easily) and pull a little further back, making the stroke a inch or two longer.<br /><br />I like to chase PBs because 1) it's motivation and 2) it ensures that I really do lift my metabolic rate instead of cruising at a comfortable speed.<br /><br />Anybody else finding the same? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='color:green'>Congrats! <br /><br />I just took over a minute off of my 2000 meter personal best! Of course, I'm slow and I've only been rowing for three and a half weeks, but it still feels good. Technique certainly does matter. I watch the numbers when I'm paying attention to form and see quite a difference. Right now I'm more interested in form and length of workouts than my actual speed, but it's fun to try to beat a PB a couple of times a week. </span><br />

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » June 1st, 2005, 10:11 pm

Technique matters and I'm no expert just having started rowing in February. I read in another thread that the top of your foot should be even with the top of the foot plate so i adjusted mine to make it so. The first row after that adjustment I set a PB and in the following week I set PB's in all the time/distances I row. My back isn't bothering me as much either since the adjustment.<br /><br />Just this afternoon I completed a 60 minute row totaling 14,091 meters. My first time over 14,000. I was shocked when I looked at the average split of 2:07.7. This is faster than ANY of my splits at my shorter distances/time.<br /><br />The proper position of the foot helped I'm sure. I also have a tendency to day dream and catch myself not using my legs enough. Keeping a focus on that helps my time and distance. Again this is technique.<br /><br />Since losing weight is my goal my rows are generally long. I try to get Two 30 mintes rows, two 10K's and two 60 minutes rows each week.<br /><br />I have no coach so I'm sure a lot of my technique needs improving. But, as I mentioned, my goal is getting the weight off and not setting world class records.<br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] cialome

Post by [old] cialome » June 20th, 2005, 10:03 pm

As a newbie to the forums, I am glancing through them. I stumbled across this thread, and it has me looking for "the" answer. The placement of the foot is very interesting, especially since the top of my foot is above the plate.<br /><br />I have looked through the manual (online) and other documents Concept2 has put onto their website. I can't find anything about the rules for placement of the foot.<br /><br />Is it just assummed your foot should be at the top of the plate? I will be trying this tomorrow, but am curious if there is common wisdom out there.<br /><br />t.

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » June 21st, 2005, 12:52 pm

"but am curious if there is common wisdom out there."<br /><br />I think the reason there seems to be no definitve answer around in the manuals or online on the question of foot position is because it's different strokes for different folks, depending on your own technique, musculature, etc.<br /><br />I tried a couple of different ways before settling on a position that puts the top of the 'ramp' on the foot plate just under the ball of my foot. It works for me.<br /><br />Incidentally, cialome, if you're rowing to lose weight, why not join the losingest team in the history of indoor rowing? Row Pain Row Gain is a group dedicated to rowing its way from obesity to utter dishiness.<br /><br />You can join us by going to your logbook profile and nominating Row Pain Row Gain as your virtual team. (You are keeping a logbook?)<br />

[old] littlebabysquirrel

Post by [old] littlebabysquirrel » July 12th, 2005, 12:54 pm

I just started a couple of weeks ago and I'm finding the more I work on the technique, the faster I row also. I just found out you could change the level with the dial on the side of the wheel...ha ha ...my guy had it set to between 6-7 (which explains why I was killing myself to keep up!!) I put it down to 4 and now I seem to be rowing more smoothly. I also notice my gut gets in the way too...Thanks for the insight to make the stroke longer by leaning forward more and extending back more!! It works! Jacquie

[old] SeaRay

Post by [old] SeaRay » July 12th, 2005, 3:50 pm

I have been all over the forums looking for advice on technique, and found that the best advice was to row "strapless". first, it slows you down (20-24 spm) and makes you finish the drive on balance (so you dont fall off the erg!) the other benefit is that it prevents you from using the straps to pull yourself back up the rail in the recovery (your hips won't be sore) your feet will find the right place, at the bottom of the foothold, and when you drive, you will push down from the heels. I have completed 3 10k's strapless and its really helped my form, give it a try. I recently did a 2,000 with the straps on, and am going back to strapless, because I could see that my bad habits were coming back. let me know if it works for you as well.<br /><br />Ray

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 12th, 2005, 4:04 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-cialome+Jun 20 2005, 07:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(cialome @ Jun 20 2005, 07:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Is it just assummed your foot should be at the top of the plate? </td></tr></table><br />Peter Haining was lightweight world champion single sculls from 1993-95.<br /><br />Here is a quote about what he learned from previous lightweight champion Frans Göbel:<br /><br />"I watched Frans scull – <b>his feet were high and steep. I started edging my feet up and my leg power became more horizontal</b> but my shoulders lifted and so I did ‘good mornings’ weight lifting in the gym to help correct this fault and over ride the temptation to lift my shoulders.<br /><br />"I was bending my arms a lot and got a break in the stroke profile curve which gave me the second thing to work on. I could see that the things I was working on during land training filtered through to the water very quickly<br /><br />"It was a good tool to understand the principles about how my body was “hard wired”. Every athlete’s body comes with slightly different hard wiring. This helped me to dismantle my own technique and re-align it to maximum efficiency."<br /><br /><a href='http://www.dreheroars.co.uk/liveupdater ... 1043876156' target='_blank'>http://www.dreheroars.co.uk/liveupdater ... 3876156</a>

[old] littlebabysquirrel

Post by [old] littlebabysquirrel » July 13th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Ok...tried it strapless...not good at that ha ha ha...good thing the dog was on the floor...I landed on him... Got your point! It's all about the techniquie and balance. I noticed when I paid attention to posture and balance I did better. You're right though I lost time on this row. Also noticed that when I put the drag from 6 to 4 I lost time...any input? Jacquie

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 13th, 2005, 3:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-littlebabysquirrel+Jul 13 2005, 09:54 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(littlebabysquirrel @ Jul 13 2005, 09:54 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->good thing the dog was on the floor...I landed on him...  <br /> </td></tr></table><br />