Over 55? Can We Talk?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Xeno

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] Xeno » June 26th, 2005, 9:09 am

<!--QuoteBegin-joanvb+Jun 25 2005, 11:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(joanvb @ Jun 25 2005, 11:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Jun 25 2005, 10:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Jun 25 2005, 10:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Joan<br />As a matter of fact I am meeting Barbara this Monday at the Iron Oarsman for a stroke analysis.  She gets her rowing burned on a DVD which she gets to take home.  I will film and coach her and at the end I will sit on the ergo too.<br />I hope you are having a great weekend.<br />Oh by the way, what is going on with the Long Beach Indoor Rowing Women's Powerhouse.  We need your KMs.<br />See you soon.<br />XENO <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hi Xeno,<br /><br />What a coincidence...I had no idea. (Sounds good, I need to do that, too!)<br />Regarding our ranking...I'll talk to my Long Beach erging buddies about catching up with their logging for the Iron Oarsman....You know Barbara is an Ancient Mariner....So be careful how many meters she does with you Perhaps you can get her to change her affiliation? <br /><br /> Joan <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Make her change affiliation... hmmm... the ancient mariners have been around for a while. They may have some sort of secret creed. This one could be a little too political. We would reall start something new if we stole from one another. This would spice things up quite a bit.<br />Have a great sunday,<br />XENO<br />

[old] joanvb

Post by [old] joanvb » June 27th, 2005, 1:00 am

Xeno...Just kidding (I think...shaking the cages) ....You're right, of course! <br />It should be fun to talk with Barbara about this! <br />Joan

[old] John Rupp

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 27th, 2005, 2:18 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Xeno+Jun 25 2005, 08:47 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Xeno @ Jun 25 2005, 08:47 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I will film and coach her and at the end I will sit on the ergo too. </td></tr></table><br />Won't that get crowded though, with both of you on there?<br />

[old] Xeno

Post by [old] Xeno » June 27th, 2005, 3:38 pm

Hi Joan,<br />Barbara is very coachable and has a very friendly personality. It was a delight to meet with her at the Iron Oarsman.<br />All the best,<br />XENO

[old] Barbara Davenport

Post by [old] Barbara Davenport » June 27th, 2005, 7:42 pm

Hi Frank,<br /> I’m sorry that my post left you uneasy, and I thank Joan for reassuring you that I’m legit. I hadn’t even registered that that was me in the photo in Concept 2’s Update. Wince! <br />A number of people have responded to me offline; they, and another project have kept me busy enough that I simply hadn’t gotten back to the forum. I live in San Diego, rowed for some years with ZLAC Rowing Club. I’m a freelance writer with a day job as clinical social worker. I write when I can. I’ve published a book, The Worst Loss, How Families Heal from the Death of a Child, and essays in edited collections and magazines on such topics as the guy who built me a Saab from parts, and playing field hockey, and growing things in San Diego over the last 50,000 years. <br /> As long as I’ve been erging I’ve thought that it, and the CRASH-B’s, were a fascinating, slightly loony enterprise (count me as a participating loon), with a number of good stories in them. Editors have not been quick to share my enthusiasm, but at this point I have one story commitment, and my post about over-50 ergers is an attempt to develop another story.<br /> The good news is that this is a lively forum with a number of 50+ rowers. I am indeed keeping track of everyone who posts and who emails me. The process of gathering material (facts, stories, people, portraiture, events, &tc) for a story is like casting a very broad net. I try to learn and collect everything I can, and then begin to sort out what in fact I might need, whom I need to talk to. I’m doing that, albeit slowly.<br /> Thanks for your interest.<br />Best regards,<br />Barbara Davenport

[old] FrankJ

Post by [old] FrankJ » June 27th, 2005, 8:14 pm

Hi Barbara,<br /><br />Thanks for the response. Just thought there might be a small chance that you could help me share some of my enthusiasm for rowing with the rest of the world. I was definitely disappointed when I got no response to my email but I feel much better knowing that you are a real writer. If you think I can help please let me now. This is the best sport I've encountered and it's a great way to meet people from around the world.<br /><br />Frank

[old] joanvb

Post by [old] joanvb » June 27th, 2005, 9:40 pm

Glad to see you back, Barbara! <br />It looks like your erging is going well, too!<br /><br /> Joan

[old] Xeno

Post by [old] Xeno » June 28th, 2005, 6:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-FrankJ+Jun 27 2005, 07:14 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrankJ @ Jun 27 2005, 07:14 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Barbara,<br /><br />Thanks for the response. Just thought there might be a small chance that you could help me share some of my enthusiasm for rowing with the rest of the world. I was definitely disappointed when I got no response to my email but I feel much better knowing that you are a real writer. If you think I can help please let me now. This is the best sport I've encountered and it's a great way to meet people from around the world.<br /><br />Frank <br /> </td></tr></table><br />By the way Frank those are some good times for your ranked distances.<br />XENO

[old] Barbara Davenport

Post by [old] Barbara Davenport » June 28th, 2005, 11:06 pm

Hi Joan,<br /> Thanks for vouching for me. <br /> I expect you know that this stuff is contagious. After watching you & your compadres whale away at the CRASH-B's, I came home with new resolves. I've been erging steadily, and have dropped down to lightweight weight, a 60th birthday present to myself. I made the exceedingly generous time for the Developmental Team, and I'll keep at it til they kick me off. <br /> The stroke analysis with Xeno was very helpful. He's articulate and knowledgeable, and thoroughly understands the mechanics of the stroke. I'd recommend an hour with him to any rower or erger within driving distance of Costa Mesa.<br /> All best,<br />Barbara

[old] joanvb

Post by [old] joanvb » June 29th, 2005, 2:10 am

Hi Barbara,<br />Congratulations on your "birthday present" and on the Development Squad. You hinted that you might not be content to continue to research and write about this craziness without DOING it, particularly with your previous involvement. <br />As for your stroke analysis...You know I'm a Xeno fan, too. <br />Best wishes...and I look forward to seeing you this season. <br />Joan

[old] Xeno

Post by [old] Xeno » June 29th, 2005, 9:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Barbara Davenport+Jun 6 2005, 04:27 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Barbara Davenport @ Jun 6 2005, 04:27 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm 60, an erger & writer. I'm writing a short piece about erging for a national magazine & I'm looking for ergers 55-95 to interview about their experience erging for weight loss, general fitness, and competition. If you'd be willing to talk with me by email or phone, I'd love to hear from you.<br />Barbara Davenport<br />bbdavenport@cox.net <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Dear Barbara,<br />Thank you very much for your nice compliments.<br />I greatly enjoy showing what I learned from two very gifted coaches: Harry Mahon and Marty Aitken.<br />I look forward to seeing your future results.<br />All the best,<br />XENO