Serious Weight Loss Goals?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] izrbluer

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] izrbluer » June 7th, 2005, 4:05 pm

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'><br />Welcome to the team Mary! I'm sure you'll do fine. If you have any questions about rowing or posting, ask away. Everyone is very friendly and helpful here.<br /><br />Kris<br />North Dallas, Texas</span></span><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jun 7 2005, 04:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jun 7 2005, 04:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think I joined your team. I hope I did and if I did thank you to the people who launched it. I started and stopped rowing (one Month) a couple of years ago, found it to intimidating when I couldn't compete with the 70 year olds. Sounds like we are all in the same boat (Literally) and am looking forward to starting again with a real Virtual team.  I also need to lose 35 lbs (Dr. Orders) and so far have gained 3. I have a purpose to put the time in for the TEAM, lets rock and row!  (Where my original posting went I have no idea? I'm very ignorant when it comes to the whole typing/posting thing, however I can shop on the internet very well!)<br />Thanks and good luck to all. <br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » June 7th, 2005, 4:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jun 7 2005, 04:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jun 7 2005, 04:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think I joined your team. I hope I did and if I did thank you to the people who launched it. I started and stopped rowing (one Month) a couple of years ago, found it to intimidating when I couldn't compete with the 70 year olds. Sounds like we are all in the same boat (Literally) and am looking forward to starting again with a real Virtual team.  I also need to lose 35 lbs (Dr. Orders) and so far have gained 3. I have a purpose to put the time in for the TEAM, lets rock and row!  (Where my original posting went I have no idea? I'm very ignorant when it comes to the whole typing/posting thing, however I can shop on the internet very well!)<br />Thanks and good luck to all. <br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi, Mary,<br /><br /><span style='color:green'>Welcome to the team! (I checked and you're there.) I've found that the team and this forum provide the motivation I need to keep going. Now that I've been at it awhile (a month), I feel better, too, so that helps.<br /><br />Keep us posted on your progress.</span>

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » June 7th, 2005, 4:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jun 7 2005, 03:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jun 7 2005, 03:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I started and stopped rowing (one Month) a couple of years ago, found it to intimidating when I couldn't compete with the 70 year olds. Sounds like we are all in the same boat (Literally) and am looking forward to starting again with a real Virtual team.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Welcome Mary. At some point in time we were all beginners. I've only been rowing since Feb. 2005<br /><br />You may actually gain or hit a plateau as you begin rowing. You'll be using muscles you haven't used much at all before and the muscles will increase in mass. Muscle is heavier than fat so your body shape will change for the better but it may not show up on the scales. You may want to take some measurements and compare them a month or so later.<br /><br />Good rowing to you.<br /><br />

[old] DIESEL

Post by [old] DIESEL » June 7th, 2005, 6:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Lisa+May 21 2005, 09:27 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Lisa @ May 21 2005, 09:27 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-copywriter+May 21 2005, 05:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(copywriter @ May 21 2005, 05:00 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You'll come back looking like a racing snake!<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That is precisely the look I'm going for! <br /><br />Thanks for the tips. I think you're right about the hours of exercise. I'm working up to an hour a day and mean to get to 1.5 hours as my body can tolerate it. Maybe I should add in some hiking on the weekend.<br /><br />Lisa <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Lisa <br /><br />If you're not getting the results you want you are doing something wrong. OR your expectations are unrealistic. I think it's a little of both, in this case. <br /><br />You say that you are not losing weight, but yet your butt is looking firmer. That's called burned off bodyfat and I'd call that progress. <br /><br />get your body fat % tested - that is way more accurate than the scale. Who cares what the scale says? - it's inaccurate and subject to way too many fluctuations to be really accurate. It's how you look in the mirror that matters. According to the scales and those stupid height-weight charts, I'm obese - but yet the mirror tells me that I'm quite muscular and chiseled. Catch my drift? <br /><br />Fact: slow, long cardio ALL THE TIME is garbage for fat loss purposes - you have to mix it up with higher intensity work (i.e. intervals and weight training). Suck it up and do at least 2 sessions of higher intensity work a week. Try starting with hard 4k pieces to break up the monotony of those long, slow 8Ks you've been doing. If you can do 8k already, you can do some kind of short interval work. <br /><br />You've got to get your diet in check. This is the key. If you're not getting the results you want - this, more than exercise is what's holding you back. Keep your carbs between 50-100g a day, ideally they are low glycemic and have lots of fiber - and load up on lean protein (salmon, and other fish, lean chicken and turkey breasts, egg white omelettes, and fat-free cottage cheese are excellent choices ),and good fats (olive oil, flaxseed oil, fish oils, CLA) and you'll be golden in no time flat. <br /><br />Get your butt in the gym and lift weights - you are not going to get huge and bulky - (as if that happened overnight) what you are going to do is get a lot of new lean tissue that will up your metabolism and burn up a lot of calories which = fat loss and a butt that looks really good in tight jeans. Muscle tissue takes up around 4x less space than bodyfat. Do the math. <br /><br />Make the adjustments and then report back. If you want to get serious about really getting in shape w/r/t weight training and nutrition - please visit www.t-nation.com and visit the "T-Vixen Forum" the ladies there will definitely set you straight with a lot of encouragement and useful information! Of course for the rowing portion of your training program, go no further. <br /><br />good luck, <br />D <br /><br />P.S. compared to the erg, the treadmill sucks. Stick with the erg - it does a body good.

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » June 7th, 2005, 6:42 pm

Welcome aboard to Mary. Just rack up some kilometres for yourself and the team, and eat well and those pounds will melt!<br /><br />Ken

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » June 8th, 2005, 2:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-izrbluer+Jun 7 2005, 04:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(izrbluer @ Jun 7 2005, 04:05 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'><br />Welcome to the team Mary! I'm sure you'll do fine. If you have any questions about rowing or posting, ask away. Everyone is very friendly and helpful here.<br /><br />Kris<br />North Dallas, Texas</span></span><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jun 7 2005, 04:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jun 7 2005, 04:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think I joined your team. I hope I did and if I did thank you to the people who launched it. I started and stopped rowing (one Month) a couple of years ago, found it to intimidating when I couldn't compete with the 70 year olds. Sounds like we are all in the same boat (Literally) and am looking forward to starting again with a real Virtual team.  I also need to lose 35 lbs (Dr. Orders) and so far have gained 3. I have a purpose to put the time in for the TEAM, lets rock and row!  (Where my original posting went I have no idea? I'm very ignorant when it comes to the whole typing/posting thing, however I can shop on the internet very well!)<br />Thanks and good luck to all. <br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » June 8th, 2005, 2:56 pm

<br />Thanks to all for the support! It's over 90 with the lovely humidity close to 100, no excuse NOT to go to the gym. Haven't found anyone who like to "ERG" as you call it, but hey that means always an empty machine for me<!--QuoteBegin-izrbluer+Jun 7 2005, 04:05 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(izrbluer @ Jun 7 2005, 04:05 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> . Did my hour with two sets and a cool down for 9000. Thanks again. <br />???Can anyone tell me what the 10-2 adjustment by the flywheel means?? <br />Mary <br />Tinley Park, IL<br /><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'><br />Welcome to the team Mary! I'm sure you'll do fine. If you have any questions about rowing or posting, ask away. Everyone is very friendly and helpful here.<br /><br />Kris<br />North Dallas, Texas</span></span><br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jun 7 2005, 04:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jun 7 2005, 04:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I think I joined your team. I hope I did and if I did thank you to the people who launched it. I started and stopped rowing (one Month) a couple of years ago, found it to intimidating when I couldn't compete with the 70 year olds. Sounds like we are all in the same boat (Literally) and am looking forward to starting again with a real Virtual team.  I also need to lose 35 lbs (Dr. Orders) and so far have gained 3. I have a purpose to put the time in for the TEAM, lets rock and row!  (Where my original posting went I have no idea? I'm very ignorant when it comes to the whole typing/posting thing, however I can shop on the internet very well!)<br />Thanks and good luck to all. <br />Mary <br /> </td></tr></table> <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] DIESEL

Post by [old] DIESEL » June 8th, 2005, 3:14 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jun 8 2005, 01:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jun 8 2005, 01:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks to all for the support! It's over 90 with the lovely humidity close to 100, no excuse NOT to go to the gym. Haven't found anyone who like to "ERG" as you call it, but hey that means always an empty machine for me<br />[font=Arial] </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yup. That's usually the way it is. Don't really mind it much. I find most people can't handle the shattering blow to the ego when the erg exposes their lack of fitness. I'm always open to teach, but the ones I do, will stick with it for a couple of days and then will never touch an erg again. <br /><br />Most others simply can't deal with the hard work and would rather zone out at negative intensity on the stairmaster or elliptical than take the time to learn proper technique so as to get the most of a wonderful, and IMHO the best cardio machine on the planet. <br /><br />Hey, their loss is our gain. <br /><br />Glad to hear you got hooked. It's a beautiful thing, indeed. Keep posting and lurking, you'll learn a ton - there are a lot of knowledgeable erg jockeys that post on these boards. <br /><br />D <br /><br />

[old] eieiodin

Post by [old] eieiodin » June 8th, 2005, 3:30 pm

Welcome Mary! More the merrier!

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » June 8th, 2005, 6:09 pm

"Can anyone tell me what the 10-2 adjustment by the flywheel means??"<br /><br />It's a slide which blanks off part of the air supply to the flywheel. Less air getting into the fan means less resistance, so with the slide at two the machine is easier to pull, at ten harder and in between, well I guess it's in-between hard.<br /><br />Testosterone soaked males (like me) whack it up to 10 because it's all too too handbag to have it lower, but the answer is to find a level where you're being made to work, but not killing yourself.<br /><br />Hope that helps, and if any one has a contraview please knock me down.<br /><br />Ken

[old] DIESEL

Post by [old] DIESEL » June 8th, 2005, 6:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-copywriter+Jun 8 2005, 05:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(copywriter @ Jun 8 2005, 05:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"Can anyone tell me what the 10-2 adjustment by the flywheel means??"<br /><br /><br />Testosterone soaked males (like me) whack it up to 10 because it's all too too handbag to have it lower, but the answer is to find a level where you're being made to work, but not killing yourself.<br /><br />Hope that helps, and if any one has a contraview please knock me down.<br /><br />Ken <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />OK Ken, knocking you down... Yeah 10 feels harder - but it's murder on your joints and technique. It teaches you to be SLOW - You are much better off bringing the Drag Factor way down and working on your SPEED at the catch and the finish - and becoming more efficient - that is the secret to speed - not muscling the stroke at level 10. I personally do my longer pieces at around 3 and my 2k/6k at around a 5. Most elite rowers (except Xeno, who I believe sets his at around 7) train at anywhere from 3-6 on the flywheel. <br /><br />Think of it this way - you have to pull harder and faster at the lower DF to get the same speed you would get at 10 - therefore while it feels easier or smoother at the lower DF you are actually working more. Then when you train at the low DF , then ratchet the DF up for a test - ZOOM ! It's like having 2 extra gears.

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » June 9th, 2005, 12:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-DIESEL+Jun 8 2005, 06:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(DIESEL @ Jun 8 2005, 06:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-copywriter+Jun 8 2005, 05:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(copywriter @ Jun 8 2005, 05:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"Can anyone tell me what the 10-2 adjustment by the flywheel means??"<br /><br /><br />Testosterone soaked males (like me) whack it up to 10 because it's all too too handbag to have it lower, but the answer is to find a level where you're being made to work, but not killing yourself.<br /><br />Hope that helps, and if any one has a contraview please knock me down.<br /><br />Ken <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />OK Ken, knocking you down... Yeah 10 feels harder - but it's murder on your joints and technique. It teaches you to be SLOW - You are much better off bringing the Drag Factor way down and working on your SPEED at the catch and the finish - and becoming more efficient - that is the secret to speed - not muscling the stroke at level 10. I personally do my longer pieces at around 3 and my 2k/6k at around a 5. Most elite rowers (except Xeno, who I believe sets his at around 7) train at anywhere from 3-6 on the flywheel. <br /><br />Think of it this way - you have to pull harder and faster at the lower DF to get the same speed you would get at 10 - therefore while it feels easier or smoother at the lower DF you are actually working more. Then when you train at the low DF , then ratchet the DF up for a test - ZOOM ! It's like having 2 extra gears. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Thanks again, I love having experts at the touch of a key!<br />Being that I am a whimping female newbie to rowing I definitely prefer the lower numbers, I can get more meters and it seems I can work in my target heartrate. But now I know why those young studs next to me get such a nice breeze when they row their two minutes and I sweat my :!!* off. Thanks for the info on the nos regarding the flywheel. <br />Mary

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » June 9th, 2005, 1:08 pm

"Thanks again, I love having experts at the touch of a key"<br /><br />Expert? Moi? No, no, just a fat ol' member of the chain gang.<br /><br />Yer man Diesel knows what he's talking about. He even knows what DF stands for and it took me a minute to work out it's not Direction Finding.

[old] DIESEL

Post by [old] DIESEL » June 9th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Ken, Mary.. <br /><br />You know that old saying that "flattery gets you everywhere.." They're right! <br /><br />Thanks, for the complement, but an expert, I'm not. If you want more info on Drag Factors - there is a thread on this in the Training forum I believe. Or just shoot an IM off to PaulS - he's a rowing coach and of the resident gurus - he'll be able to explain it in more detail than I ever could. <br /><br />good luck and may blazing erg speed be bestowed upon you. <br /><br />D

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » June 9th, 2005, 5:43 pm

A bit more on drag factors - empirical stuff.<br /><br />Last night I did my usual warm up, 1500 metres, with the slider on 10.<br /><br />Did another 1500 tonight with the slider on 2, & rowed to match last night's split<br /><br />All the numbers - distance, watts, calories, even heart rate, came out the same. <br /><br />The only difference is that at DF 2 I had to row at 26 strokes per minute to hit the split, whereas at DF10 I did it at 22 spm.<br />