MOD C Silencer Kit

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
tadis
Paddler

MOD C Silencer Kit

Post by tadis » September 10th, 2007, 9:28 am

Last week I took the plunge and called Concept2 for the Silencer retrofit to my Mod C. Spoke with an very helpful and friendly Mark. Friday afternoon the parts arrived.

Took about 90 minutes to install. Would have been shorter but I removed my chain first. In order to loosen both nuts on the axle it helps to have the chain on the sprocket. I also missed routing the shock cord around the axle properly. So, I had to remove the axle twice to get everything right.

Has it made my Mod C more quiet? The only noise I hear now is from the fan and cage. Have never used a Mod D so I can't compare the two. All in all I'm very happy with this update.

To quiet the fan cage I'm thinking of cutting some sound deadening foam and attaching it to the metalic sides of the housing. That may solve some of the resonating from the metal.

tbartman
1k Poster

Post by tbartman » September 10th, 2007, 10:28 am

What exactly do you ask them for (maybe a part number) and how much does it cost? I've been debating this change myself (versus sticking it out another year or two and upgrading to a new erg).

Tom
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1225814673.png[/img]

tadis
Paddler

Post by tadis » September 10th, 2007, 2:16 pm

tbartman wrote:What exactly do you ask them for
I'm sure if you tell them you have a Mod C and want the silencer kit they'll know what you're talking about. That's about all I asked for. I think the reason you can't order online is they want to warn you it's not a quick and/or easy modification. Anyone who can turn a wrench should be able to do it, but, I know guys who if confronted with this kind of change would have quit.
tbartman wrote:.. how much does it cost?
About $70 after shipping and taxes.
tbartman wrote:I've been debating this change myself (versus sticking it out another year or two and upgrading to a new erg).
I debated it about two years. Glad I finally did. The noise was never an issue but it did get anoying. Now, I feel like I've pretty much hopped on a new erg. I can't see buying a new erg since I have a Mod C, PM2+, and RowPro. What more would I gain by moving to a Mod D with PM3?