Serious Weight Loss Goals?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Specialt

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] Specialt » May 22nd, 2005, 11:03 am

I think I can relate to what you all are getting at. I have been having a really hard time getting rid of the weight with just rowing. I find that I have to have some sort of other activity along with rowing in order to make real progress. For instance, I had the greatest weight loss when I was working out in the YMCA and alternating days on the rower with days in the raquetball court. The variety was really refreshing but now that I have my own machine I don't get to switch up as often and weightloss is more difficult.<br /><br />Watching what you eat is the number one fact that everyone needs to face. Even though most of us try to get a balanced diet we all still get fast food occasionally and fast food is not just the big chain resteraunts. Places like Applebees, friday's and Outback are just as unhealthy as McDonalds. (Everyone needs to see the movie "Supersize Me"!!!!!!!.) Getting in the habit of exercising regularly was somewhat easy for me. However learning to eat all over again is a huge challenge. I grew up surrounded by everything that is bad for you and until recently I really didn't care . I know better now and am trying to make some major changes. <br /><br /><span style='color:blue'>I love Steve's 3 rule Policy</span><br /><br />1. No junkfood but Subway 6 under 6 subs.<br />2. Reduce portions (I used to eat till I felt physically full - sometimes uncomfotable - and yet comfortable? dry.gif wierd....).<br />3. Consciously realise the difference between eating for fuel, and eating when bored or for comfort and act on it.<br /><br /><br />These are key, and they work for me. The only thing that I would add is that you must drink water (or Lemon water-which is my favorite) while you eat and chew your food thoroughly and slowly. It is amazing how fast we can consume a huge meal and not even realize how much we have eaten. It takes your stomach a bit of time to communicate with your brain. When you rush, a lot of times you end up stuffing yourself, which can leave you either uncomfortable or physically ill. <br /><br />Does that make sense to anyone else?

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » May 22nd, 2005, 6:51 pm

>It takes your stomach a bit of time to communicate with your brain. When you rush, a lot of times you end up stuffing yourself, which can leave you either uncomfortable or physically ill. <<br /><br />Makes sense to me. That's why I have to lean forwards to see my toes!<br /><br />Are you logged onto the team yet Specialt - dificult to know who's who becasue forum names are not necessarily the same as log names. <br /><br />Copywriter = Ken Munn on the log.<br /><br />Down by 1.4 kilos this week, that's 3lbs. Here in the UK, we buy butter in 1/2lb packs, so I've lost the equivalent of 6 packs of butter!

[old] copywriter

Post by [old] copywriter » May 22nd, 2005, 6:53 pm

>It takes your stomach a bit of time to communicate with your brain. When you rush, a lot of times you end up stuffing yourself, which can leave you either uncomfortable or physically ill. <<br /><br />Makes sense to me. That's why I have to lean forwards to see my toes!<br /><br />Are you logged onto the team yet Specialt - dificult to know who's who because forum names are not necessarily the same as log names. <br /><br />Copywriter = Ken Munn on the log.<br /><br />Down by 1.4 kilos this week, that's 3lbs. Here in the UK, we buy butter in 1/2lb packs, so I've lost the equivalent of 6 packs of butter!

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » May 22nd, 2005, 11:33 pm

Hi all! Great job on adding the meters... we are certainly doing well with only 6 contributers! <br /><br />Michael - thanks for the stretching link - clearly something I need to be doing... <br /><br />Ken - I started on Atkins around 21 months ago... have dropped a significant portion, currently weigh 294... my goal weight is 225... I am but 5'11"... the 225 is my lowest adult weight... and while the specific gravity test at this weight was when I was 22... when I made it down there again at 30 people were thinking I might be ill I was looking so gaunt... of course I haven't been any closer than 50 pounds the last 13 years (currently 45)... so anything south of where my current weight will be gladly accepted. <br /><br />I only added a single workout this week... grrrrr! But will get in a minimum of 3 in the coming 7 days.... having a couple of guys within striking distance of my total meters for the season is quite motivating.... ya better keep rowing, cause I want the #1 spot!!!<br /><br />Jim Schneider

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » May 22nd, 2005, 11:37 pm

Sorry bout that

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » May 23rd, 2005, 8:11 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Specialt+May 22 2005, 11:03 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Specialt @ May 22 2005, 11:03 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think I can relate to what you all are getting at.  I have been having a really hard time getting rid of the weight with just rowing.  I find that I have to have some sort of other activity along with rowing in order to make real progress.  For instance, I had the greatest weight loss when I was working out in the YMCA and alternating days on the rower with days in the raquetball court.  The variety was really refreshing but now that I have my own machine I don't get to switch up as often and weightloss is more difficult.<br />...<br /><br />The only thing that I would add is that you must drink water (or Lemon water-which is my favorite) while you eat and chew your food thoroughly and slowly.  It is amazing how fast we can consume a huge meal and not even realize how much we have eaten.  It takes your stomach a bit of time to communicate with your brain.  When you rush, a lot of times you end up stuffing yourself, which can leave you either uncomfortable or physically ill.  <br /><br />Does that make sense to anyone else?  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='color:green'>Yep, eating more slowly helps a lot because you do get full before your brain realizes that you are. I have to make a conscious effort to slow down because I come from a family of fast eaters.<br /><br />As for exercise, I row for cardiovascular conditioning but I also do strength training three times per week on Nautilus machines. (I also stretch every day and do physical therapy exercises for my right hip.) I know that my jeans feel looser now because I'm doing both CV and strength training. If you don't have access to a gym, you could get a set of dumbbells to do some weight training at home.</span><br /><br />

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » May 23rd, 2005, 8:15 am

<!--QuoteBegin-copywriter+May 22 2005, 06:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(copywriter @ May 22 2005, 06:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Down by 1.4 kilos this week, that's 3lbs. Here in the UK, we buy butter in 1/2lb packs, so I've lost the equivalent of 6 packs of butter! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='color:green'>Good work, Ken! <br /><br />I'm going to start tracking my weight and measurements this coming Friday. I've been waiting to get off prednisone. Only two more days of the stuff and I hope I can stay off.</span>

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » May 23rd, 2005, 8:46 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+May 22 2005, 11:33 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ May 22 2005, 11:33 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi all! Great job on adding the meters... we are certainly doing well with only 6 contributers! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='color:green'>I see we've added a seventh member who has moved us up quite a lot in the rankings. Steven Meyer of California has 166,250 meters for the season, making him our new leader. Welcome, Steven!</span>

[old] Slowkiwi

Post by [old] Slowkiwi » May 25th, 2005, 11:23 pm

Hi all,<br /><br />Great thread. To Lisa (discouraged) I really second the hiking/tramping trip. Or some other holiday with heaps of exercise. <br /><br />I went on an Outward Bound course and lost 8 kgs(17.5lb) s in 3 weeks. The amount of activity we did there isin't sustainable with work and kids but it is a was a real motivator. Kind of like "Wow I can lose weight after all". I'm now 264lbs from a high of 300. I have a long way to go, but as a few have already said, it took me 10 years to get this way, it might take as long to get back.<br /><br />Funny thing is when I was playing rugby I used to long to be over 100kg (220lbs)!<br /><br />Kia kaha

[old] RowedandRode

Post by [old] RowedandRode » May 26th, 2005, 12:49 pm

Hmmmm....weight loss!<br />I'm using my C2-D as my main method of cross training for running; I'm training for half marathons. Nothing on this earth burns calories like running, but my knees and calves wouldn't hold up for long if running were all I did. <br />I love my C2. Generally I warm up for 5-6 k before heading out on a run. The longer the run I have planned, the shorter the row, and vice versa. My longer rows (at this point) are 8-10k once per week, but I'm building up the distance. <br /><br />As for weight loss: <br />I'm running a half marathon this weekend, after that I'll weigh myself and then will be gradually increasing my running and rowing mileage by 10% each per week, with 60-90 min of mountain biking one or two mornings per week for variety. I'll weigh myself every month for the rest of the year and see how much blubber I can take off. I'm not a fat gal (5'8", 150 lbs) but I would like to lose 10-15 lbs, ideally. I have a desk job, so when I exercise I need to really blast it!<br /><br />As for food, it's my weakness - I love to eat, but it isn't the carbs that do me in. It's fatty crap, desserts and late-night scarfing.<br /><br />I know this will be controversial, and I don't want to start some huge debate that has been done to death, but I - personally - can't "do" Atkins. It might work for sedentary people because it forces them to eat less, or folks who are very attracted to regimens. But I find Atkins hugely depressing, very boring, and a recycled seventies throwback. I guess simply "eating like a diabetic" isn't glamourous enough, so Atkins slapped his name on it and made millions. I'm very glad to see that it seems to be falling out of style, just like all the other diet gimmicks that have come & gone. I don't believe that human beings are fundamentally carnivorous - we're omnivores, like dogs and chimps. Plus, I consider myself an endurance athlete, and I need the carbs. I can't function without them. What would life be worth without fresh fruit, pizza, toast & jam, or pasta? But some people seem to have had success with it - so to each his own.<br /><br />All told, I'm a healthy eater - very little junk. I try to stick lean meat, fish, nuts, fruits, veg and whole grains. I don't drink juice or pop, and I might have a glass of wine or beer once a month or so. And lots and lots of exercise! Long, slow aerobic workouts for 60-90 min - and longer - are my favourites.<br /><br />Best of luck to all on your weight loss odyessy! For those who want to lose a lot, don't give up; you aren't alone. I can't think of anyone who doesn't want to lose 10-20 lbs, even people within "normal" weight range.<br /><br />- <i>Don't pull harder, pull more often.</i><br />

[old] bmoore

Post by [old] bmoore » May 27th, 2005, 12:36 am

I'd like to recommend Lindora.com for their online program. In 6 weeks, I'm down 18 pounds with 14 to go for my lean weight goal. The program is a restricted carb diet (50-100g of carbs per day). For carbs, I have a slice of bread with breakfast and fruit with lunch and dinner. It also includes a salad and vegetable servings with lunch and dinner. I'm maintaining my lean mass while rowing 50-60k per week.<br /><br />I was a jock in high school and college (20 years ago), but kept eating when the workouts stopped. Exercise alone never got me over the mental threshhold to lose the weight. The diet alone, also never did it. But rowing and this diet is working. The hardest part will be the adjustment and maintenance, but they have a program for that as well.<br /><br />It's worth a shot for people who have sampled weight loss programs but still need to make the life changes to get lean.<br /><br />(OK, so now that I went public with it, I really need to stick to my goals of losing this weight! Of course, my motivation to stay healthy for my kids helps too.)<br /><br />Best of luck to all of you with this very individual battle. No matter what my wife said or did, or how tight my pants got, I didn't lose the weight until I was fed up with the emotional turmoil inside of wanting to be fit, but not being really motivated to make this change.<br /><br />Bill Moore

[old] Jumpsoda

Post by [old] Jumpsoda » May 29th, 2005, 11:22 pm

Hi !!!!!! Have to shed a few pounds and have started rowing again. Really would like to join your team if that's okay. How does one go about it ???

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » May 30th, 2005, 10:07 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Jumpsoda+May 29 2005, 11:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Jumpsoda @ May 29 2005, 11:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi !!!!!!  Have to shed a few pounds and have started rowing again. Really would like to join your team if that's okay. How does one go about it ??? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Of course you're welcome to join us! Go to your profile and choose edit. You'll find a section for team/university affiliation. Choose <i>Row Pain, Row Gain</i> from the drop down menu and then save your changes. You'll be on the team.<br /><br /><br />

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » May 30th, 2005, 5:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Jumpsoda+May 29 2005, 10:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Jumpsoda @ May 29 2005, 10:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi !!!!!!  Have to shed a few pounds and have started rowing again. Really would like to join your team if that's okay. How does one go about it ??? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Join the fun and lsoe some weight along with it all. Our team is now in 18th and climbing. <br /><br />Kevin<br />

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » May 31st, 2005, 6:12 pm

*Deleted* - wrong thread