Serious Weight Loss Goals?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Lisa

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] Lisa » May 6th, 2005, 9:43 am

I have about 20 lbs to lose and that's why I'm rowing. I know, doesn't sound like much, but it's coming off really really slowly for me. And even at my weight I'm in the early stages of type II diabetes :-(<br /><br />I ate atkins and got down to a normal range a year ago and then had surgery (not diet related in any way) and regained 30 lbs while I was lying in bed for a couple of months. Now I find low carb isn't working for me any longer - not sure why. In fact, it makes me go hypoglycemic. So I try to eat as low carb as I can and keep my blood sugar up. But my BP, cholesterol, HDL and LDL are great - solidly in the normal range.<br /><br />I think that we each need different diets and approaches to exercise. Let's face it, if we're posting about weight loss, we're not ultra athletes like others on this board may be. What works for them may not work for us. So if low carb and exercise or just one or the other works for you - go for it and don't worry about what others say.<br /><br />I would like to give you all a big encouraging hug because I know how much harder it is for us to drag our butts to the C2 and exercise when the scale is so discouraging. I look at the ranking times and dream of making the 25% - forget being anywhere near the top. SpecialIT, CapeMary, Jim, Bulldog, anyone else trying to lose weight and especially Jeremy - hang in there, keep rowing, and let's encourage each other to a million meters and beyond. I'm about halfway to my first million meters and when I get that certificate it will be framed and hung on my wall because it will be a very hard-earned award.<br /><br />I have so much admiration for people who come here and lose weight rowing - forget the skinny athletes at the top of the rankings. You guys are my heros!<br /><br />Lisa

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » May 6th, 2005, 6:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Lisa: I would like to give you all a big encouraging hug because I know how much harder it is for us to drag our butts to the C2 and exercise when the scale is so discouraging. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Stick with it and it'll come off. I lost 5 lbs real quick the first 2 weeks I started rowing. I then went 3 weeks without losing a pound. Discouraged I was! I kept telling myself that the fat was turning to muscle so the change didn't show up on the scales. After the 3 week period it started coming off again. I'm sure ill hit another plateau but I'll just "keep on - keepin on" knowing that weight will eventually come off.<br /><br />Good luck to you!<br /><br />Kevin

[old] chipman

Post by [old] chipman » May 8th, 2005, 12:57 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jkarr+May 2 2005, 01:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jkarr @ May 2 2005, 01:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My name is Jeremy.  We bought our rower about a year ago and I am just now starting to use it.  I am looking to loose a large amount of weight.  The amount of weight I am looking to loose is about 200 pounds. I have already lost 24 pounds.  So as to your original question I am looking to loose a lot.  Good luck on your weight loss and lets make this happen.  By the way, I started at 472 pounds.  I am be the biggest person in history using the concept rower. Maybe that can be my claim to fame for now.  The 200 pound weight loss is the one I really want though.  <br /><br />Jeremy <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi Jeremy, I didn't have to lose the weight your trying too, but I did go from 287lb to 161lb in a little more than one year. I did it it by cutting out almost all sugar from my diet and I cut back my carbs considerably.<br /><br />My weight didn't start pouring off me until I started rowing and later on cycling.<br />My one tip is get some exercises every day. On the days your tired just go easy, but do it and you wouldn't be sorry. <br /><br />Good luck to you my friend and keep the reports coming so we can watch your progress.<br /><br />Let me tell you from someone who knows, this will be the most satisfying thing you've ever done.

[old] Michellie

Post by [old] Michellie » May 10th, 2005, 2:59 pm

I understand how you feel. I've got a long road ahead of me with the weight-loss, and I've only just begun rowing at my gym. <br /><br />I'd happily be a support buddy!<br /><br />Michelle

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » May 11th, 2005, 12:03 am

What's not to like about where this topic is going... <br /><br />Friendly, supportive, encouraging... <br /><br />I did 6 days in a row last week - and then had 2 days of horrendous cramps in the back of my thighs... so I laid off for 2 days... got back on tonight and did 5,000 but could feel my thighs tightening up again... grrrrrrrrr I am up to 83,000 m since the first of the month... and coming up on 2,900,000... if my *&!^&!%@$!! thighs cooperate I should make it to 3 million by the end of the month... if not I guess I'll slip back to my original goal of sometime in June... <br /><br />Had my blood work done for a physical next week - we'll find out how 20 months of lo-carb has left my body... 90#'s lighter and lower BP - which are good signs... hopefully the cholesterol is all in order... it was when I started <br /><br />I am embarassed to say that I didn't know that my rowing was contributing to a University Team on the C2 site... apparently when I did my profile I checked the University of Kansas - but never knew that my meters contributed to a team total... so far there is only one other guy, but with only 2 contributers we are in the top 30... hopefully some other KU rowers will join up... Anyway, it is another way for me to keep motivated... not only do I have my personal goals, but I want to pull my weight on the team and motivate my teammate by staying ahead of his meters as well... If you like a little competition - check it out... And feel free to join the University of Kansas team if you don't have any preferred affiliation. <br /><br />Jim

[old] Lisa

Post by [old] Lisa » May 11th, 2005, 9:36 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+May 10 2005, 10:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ May 10 2005, 10:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What's not to like about where this topic is going... <br /><br />Friendly, supportive, encouraging... <br /><br />I did 6 days in a row last week - and then had 2 days of horrendous cramps in the back of my thighs... so I laid off for 2 days... got back on tonight and did 5,000 but could feel my thighs tightening up again... grrrrrrrrr I am up to 83,000 m since the first of the month... and coming up on 2,900,000... [right] <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />We gotta support each other. Not a lot of support for us slower rowers at C2 IMHO. It seems like there's more on the UK site. So we'll make our own. Maybe we should have our own team for people focusing on weight loss.<br /><br />Congrats on the 83K and 2.9million. I recognize you from the low carb board ;-)<br /><br />Lisa<br />

[old] Lisa

Post by [old] Lisa » May 11th, 2005, 9:41 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Michellie+May 10 2005, 12:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Michellie @ May 10 2005, 12:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I understand how you feel. I've got a long road ahead of me with the weight-loss, and I've only just begun rowing at my gym. <br /><br />I'd happily be a support buddy!<br /><br />Michelle <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Let's all support each other! I think that's great you're getting started Michelle. It is hard at first but if you stick with it, it definitely gets easier. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat more about weight loss.<br /><br />Lisa<br />

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » May 11th, 2005, 10:28 am

Hi, everyone,<br /><br />It appears there are more than a few of us here who are working on serious weight loss goals. I need to lose about 50 pounds or so. Weight loss is only part of my plan. My goal is to make permanent lifestyle changes that will improve my fitness level and health.<br /><br />I've had my C2 Model B for four years (I bought it from a gym that was closing.), but I've never used it consistently. The Fall 2004 issue of Concept 2 Update had a story on Chris Willsie, a 55 year old woman who started out at 352 pounds and size 34 clothes in February of 2002. She's now a size 4 and weighs 123 pounds. Her body fat is 10%. Seeing her story inspired me to take the cover off my rower and get it ready to use. I found that my monitor cable was shot, so I replaced it, upgrading to a P3 monitor while I was at it. I also added the flexfoot retrofit kit.<br /><br />Then somehow, I never got started. A recent health crisis proved the kick in the pants that I needed. I started rowing last Friday, even though I felt lousy most days. I just took it easy and made sure I did something. I've also resumed strength training. (I'm also in four weeks of physical therapy for moderate osteoarthritis in my right hip. My range of motion had gotten quite bad, but it's improving already with just a week of PT and rowing.)<br /><br />In terms of diet, I've been a vegetarian for nearly 20 years, but still ate too much fat and not enough produce and whole grains. I've been dairly allergic (to the protein--I'm not lactose intolerant.) my whole life, but at dairy products anyway. After recently being diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder, I decided there was no point in pissing off my immune system any more than it already is, so I cut out dairy.<br /><br />At my last weigh-in, I was 10 pounds below my peak of this past winter (which was 203.5 pounds. I'm 5'9" tall and will turn 51 soon.) I lost 5 pounds over 3 weeks in April, despite the fact that I was on prednisone for much of that time. Unfortunately, I had to go back on prednisone at a higher dose and for a longer time, so it's been nearly impossible to lose more weight. However, I've managed to avoid gaining weight over the past few weeks, and that's an accomplishment on pred. The plan is to wean me off prednisone over the next two weeks, so if I can do that without having a recurrence of my Sweet's Syndrome, then perhaps I can start to lose weight again.<br /><br />Reading this thread has been inspirational. It's great to know there are others out there using the C2 to reach their goals. This seems like a supportive group, so I hope that we can continue this thread, offer encouragement, and help each other reach our goals.<br />

[old] Specialt

Post by [old] Specialt » May 11th, 2005, 1:13 pm

[/quote]<br /><br />We gotta support each other. Not a lot of support for us slower rowers at C2 IMHO. It seems like there's more on the UK site. So we'll make our own. Maybe we should have our own team for people focusing on weight loss.<br /><br />Lisa<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />I think that would be a great idea, lisa!!!! <br /><br />How many of you would be interested in forming a weightloss team? <br /><br />I know that some of us are already affiliated with one team or another. Even so, wouldn't it be nice to show that even people who have along way to go, as far as fitness goals, are capable of racking up the meters just like the other kids. We are just as motivated as they are right? <br /><br />any ideas?<br /><br /><br />Specialt<br />

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » May 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->How many of you would be interested in forming a weightloss team?  <br /><br />I know that some of us are already affiliated with one team or another. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'd join. I'm only a one man team right now. Some one ought to think uo a cool name.<br /><br />I've hit another plateau. Been stuck at 15 lbs lost for about a week now.<br /><br />

[old] grahamlofthouse

Post by [old] grahamlofthouse » May 11th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Good Luck its losing weight is bloody hard. I initially dieted and exercised now because I row an hour a day, I have started to eat again and the weight has steadied. Dieting and doing a full-on workout is the way ahead but as I say its hard.<br /><br />

[old] Lisa

Post by [old] Lisa » May 11th, 2005, 10:24 pm

Let's give it a few days and see how many people are interested in forming a weight loss team. If we get a few more, we should go for it and encourage each other. I hope we do!<br /><br />Lisa

[old] NurseBobbi

Post by [old] NurseBobbi » May 12th, 2005, 7:55 am

<!--QuoteBegin-SpaCityBulldog+May 11 2005, 03:01 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SpaCityBulldog @ May 11 2005, 03:01 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->How many of you would be interested in forming a weightloss team?  <br /><br />I know that some of us are already affiliated with one team or another. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'd join. I'm only a one man team right now. Some one ought to think uo a cool name.<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm not affiliated with a team and I don't really know how that works, but it sounds like fun. As for names, the first thing that popped into my head was <i>Beautiful Losers</i>. We're beautiful, we're losing weight, and it's a great Bob Seger song.

[old] Specialt

Post by [old] Specialt » May 12th, 2005, 3:58 pm

I am not very good at picking names but I think that this would be a really interesting thing to do. I don't think that there are limits to how many or how few people are required to become a team. I think people are able to come and join as they please so if someone is a member of another team they can switch at any time, I THINK!!!!!!<br /><br /><b><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>C2 can you help here?</span></b> <br /><br />

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » May 12th, 2005, 7:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Specialt+May 12 2005, 02:58 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Specialt @ May 12 2005, 02:58 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I am not very good at picking names but I think that this would be a really interesting thing to do.  I don't think that there are limits to how many or how few people are required to become a team.  I think people are able to come and join as they please so if someone is a member of another team they can switch at any time </td></tr></table><br /><br />At the bottom of your profile you can pick a group to join. Instructions state that If you do not find your organization listed, email denah@concept2.com with your organization name and type and she'll add it. Then we can join. <br /><br />I'm guessing if you move in and out of a group that your meters rowed transfer with you.<br /><br />How about: <i>Rowing Losers</i> playing off of <i>Beautiful Losers</i> already mentioned.