Serious Weight Loss Goals?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Specialt

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] Specialt » April 29th, 2005, 4:29 pm

I know so many of you are long time athletes and are probably in good if not fantastic shape. I have never been very active and my weistline shows it. I am curious as to whether there are any other forum members who are trying to lose a lot of weight (>75 lbs)?<br /><br />I am looking for a rowing partner who has a similar goal. Any takers? Email me!<br /><br />

[old] CapeMary

Post by [old] CapeMary » May 1st, 2005, 8:30 am

Hi- I'm looking at 30lbs right now, give or take. I had been on one of those low-carb diets (south beach) two yrs ago, and lost 33lbs, but this past year , 13 snuck back on. so Inbetween work and colds, I've been trying to start rowing(bought the C3 last fall, and didn't seriously use it. It's easier for me to work out in the morning, once we change times- I get up with the sun, no matter what the season. but getting over a cold the past few weeks, I've been sleeping later, and then trying to row when I get home. haven't been all that successful. <br /><br />the longest I've rowed (before xmas) was 30 minutes, I would like to get back to at least that mark. and I try to do a kathy SMith video- Lift Weights to Lose Weight (20 minutes)<br />I can tell you that when I started the diet, the first 4 or 5 weeks were pretty good on south beach, but then things slowed down, and finally picked up again when I started to exercise. and all I was doing was walking at work during a 1/2 hr lunch, and then I would stay for another 1/2 hr or more after, and just walk up and down the stairs outside one of the buildings where I work. that really helped. I did fine for a year, but couldn't seem to drop any more weight, and then I injured my foot, found I needed orthotics, and bought the rower so I could exercise and be off my feet. <br /><br />so now I am slowly trying to get back into a routing, and trust me- you have to squeeze in exercise no matter what the rest of your life is doing that day. other wise you'll end up like me, and the weight just creeps back on. Plus, my problem is snacking at night. I do fine during the day. so keep me posted, and we'll keep track of our doing! Good Luck!<br />I'm 57, and it does get harder as you get older, but I did feel great when I dropped 33 !

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » May 1st, 2005, 9:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-CapeMary+May 1 2005, 07:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(CapeMary @ May 1 2005, 07:30 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi- I'm looking at 30lbs right now, give or take.  I had been on one of those low-carb diets (south beach) two yrs ago, and lost 33lbs, but this past year , 13 snuck back on. so  Inbetween work and colds, I've been trying to start rowing(bought the C3 last fall, and didn't seriously use it.  It's easier for me to work out in the morning, once we change times- I get up with the sun, no matter what the season.  but getting over a cold the past few weeks, I've been sleeping later, and then trying to row when I get home. haven't been all that successful.  <br /><br />the longest I've rowed (before xmas) was 30 minutes, I would like to get back to at least that mark.  and I try to do a kathy SMith video- Lift Weights to Lose Weight (20 minutes)<br />I can tell you that when I started the diet, the first 4 or 5 weeks were pretty good on south beach, but then things slowed down, and finally picked up again when I started to exercise.  and all I was doing was walking at work during a 1/2 hr lunch, and then I would stay for another 1/2 hr or more after, and just walk up and down the stairs outside one of the buildings where I work.  that really helped. I did fine for a year, but couldn't seem to drop any more weight, and then I injured my foot, found I needed orthotics, and bought the rower so I could exercise and be off my feet.  <br /><br />so now I am slowly trying to get back into a routing, and trust me- you have to squeeze in exercise no matter what the rest of your life is doing that day.  other wise you'll end up like me, and the weight just creeps back on.  Plus, my problem is snacking at night.  I do fine during the day.  so keep me posted, and we'll keep track of our doing!    Good Luck!<br />I'm 57, and it does get harder as you get older, but I did feel great when I dropped 33 ! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » May 1st, 2005, 9:36 pm

<br />You are right that many if not most who post are in pretty good shape... <br /><br />There are a few of us lurking who are not so fortunate... although I have to say that any fitness level I do have can be credited to the Concept II.... I bought my model B back in 1988.... have renewed my commitment to working out - last November.... and am now approaching my 3 million meter mark... over the past 5 years! (Probably done right at 100,000 a month since November 04. <br /><br />Starting in Sept. 03 on Atkins I dropped 90# in about 6 mths... maintained that loss for 14 months and last week committed to dropping another 70#, back on Atkins and set a goal of 100,000+ a month - typically shoot for 3-4 workouts a week of 30 minutes or so... I have rowed 90 minutes during a basketball game in February... but had such muscle fatigue afterward that I couldn't drag myself back to row for 4 days.... <br /><br />Jim<br /><br />P.S. FYI - For the Atkin Bashers that invariably surface.... my weight is down, by BP is down, my last blood workup showed EVERYTHING in the normal range... and I am going in for a complete physical May 15th... If anything is out of whack I'll fess up... spare me the lectures about Atkins being bad news.... the only people who say that are those who have never battled weight or individuals for whom it isn't the right plan... as for ye nutritionist and physicians... your recommendations and FDA food pyramid do nothing but leaving me feeling starved and craving more and more carbs... some of us are affected differently by carbs...

[old] BobD

Post by [old] BobD » May 2nd, 2005, 1:42 am

I'm with you Jim, I started Atkins in April 2004 and that combined with exercise had me down by 30 pounds in October. All medical tests show I'm a very fit 65 year old. By the way,<b> without </b>dieting, but lots of exercise, my weight did not change.<br /><br /> <br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+May 1 2005, 08:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ May 1 2005, 08:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->You are right that many if not most who post are in pretty good shape... <br /><br />There are a few of us lurking who are not so fortunate... although I have to say that any fitness level I do have can be credited to the Concept II.... I bought my model B back in 1988.... have renewed my commitment to working out - last November.... and am now approaching my 3 million meter mark... over the past 5 years! (Probably done right at 100,000 a month since November 04. <br /><br />Starting in Sept. 03 on Atkins I dropped 90# in about 6 mths... maintained that loss for 14 months and last week committed to dropping another 70#, back on Atkins and set a goal of 100,000+ a month - typically shoot for 3-4 workouts a week of 30 minutes or so...  I have rowed 90 minutes during a basketball game in February... but had such muscle fatigue afterward that I couldn't drag myself back to row for 4 days.... <br /><br />Jim<br /><br />P.S. FYI - For the Atkin Bashers that invariably surface.... my weight is down, by BP is down, my last blood workup showed EVERYTHING in the normal range... and I am going in for a complete physical May 15th... If anything is out of whack I'll fess up... spare me the lectures about Atkins being bad news.... the only people who say that are those who have never battled weight or individuals for whom it isn't the right plan... as for ye nutritionist and physicians... your recommendations and FDA food pyramid do nothing but leaving me feeling starved and craving more and more carbs... some of us are affected differently by carbs... <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] hennmart

Post by [old] hennmart » May 2nd, 2005, 2:16 am

I just start rowing (started juni 2004) and lost about 14 kg.<br /><br />I try to row 10 to 15 k. a day and when I can more. It helps to reduce my weight and it gets me in shape. I feel much better. I eat and drink the same.<br /><br />Hennie

[old] jkarr

Post by [old] jkarr » May 2nd, 2005, 4:12 pm

My name is Jeremy. We bought our rower about a year ago and I am just now starting to use it. I am looking to loose a large amount of weight. The amount of weight I am looking to loose is about 200 pounds. I have already lost 24 pounds. So as to your original question I am looking to loose a lot. Good luck on your weight loss and lets make this happen. By the way, I started at 472 pounds. I am be the biggest person in history using the concept rower. Maybe that can be my claim to fame for now. The 200 pound weight loss is the one I really want though. <br /><br />Jeremy

[old] hennmart

Post by [old] hennmart » May 2nd, 2005, 4:47 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jkarr+May 2 2005, 11:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jkarr @ May 2 2005, 11:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My name is Jeremy.  We bought our rower about a year ago and I am just now starting to use it.  I am looking to loose a large amount of weight.  The amount of weight I am looking to loose is about 200 pounds. I have already lost 24 pounds.  So as to your original question I am looking to loose a lot.  Good luck on your weight loss and lets make this happen.  By the way, I started at 472 pounds.  I am be the biggest person in history using the concept rower. Maybe that can be my claim to fame for now.  The 200 pound weight loss is the one I really want though.  <br /><br />Jeremy <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Jeremy,<br /><br />I wish you all the best with your 'battle' and I think your on the right way! Keep on rowing.<br /><br />Hennie

[old] michael

Post by [old] michael » May 3rd, 2005, 9:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+May 1 2005, 08:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ May 1 2005, 08:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->P.S. FYI - For the Atkin Bashers that invariably surface.... my weight is down, by BP is down, my last blood workup showed EVERYTHING in the normal range... and I am going in for a complete physical May 15th... If anything is out of whack I'll fess up... spare me the lectures about Atkins being bad news.... the only people who say that are those who have never battled weight or individuals for whom it isn't the right plan... as for ye nutritionist and physicians... your recommendations and FDA food pyramid do nothing but leaving me feeling starved and craving more and more carbs... some of us are affected differently by carbs... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Talk about "pulling the wagons into a circle". I doubt seriously anyone on this forum will launch a lectured "broadside" against you on nutritional matters. Just relax.

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » May 3rd, 2005, 9:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-michael+May 3 2005, 08:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(michael @ May 3 2005, 08:44 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+May 1 2005, 08:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ May 1 2005, 08:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->P.S. FYI - For the Atkin Bashers that invariably surface.... my weight is down, by BP is down, my last blood workup showed EVERYTHING in the normal range... and I am going in for a complete physical May 15th... If anything is out of whack I'll fess up... spare me the lectures about Atkins being bad news.... the only people who say that are those who have never battled weight or individuals for whom it isn't the right plan... as for ye nutritionist and physicians... your recommendations and FDA food pyramid do nothing but leaving me feeling starved and craving more and more carbs... some of us are affected differently by carbs... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Talk about "pulling the wagons into a circle". I doubt seriously anyone on this forum will launch a lectured "broadside" against you on nutritional matters. Just relax. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Certainly didn't intend to offend, just back off the anti-lo-carb folks who often jump at any chance to rip on lo-carbers... being the weightloss page it may be more open and friendly... but I got seriously ripped a few months ago on another CII page when I casually mentioned Atkins in a post... <br /><br />Although I intended to skip yesterday...my wife told me to go row... and being the ever compliant husband I did as I was told... didn't have much energy to pull hard, but did persist throughout a tv program for 60 minutes and did add 10,000 m.... certainly not much speed or intensity, but not too stressful on achy feet, hands (bilateral carpal tunnel surgery), and knee (old wrestling injuries)....<br /><br />I'm gunning for 7 days in a row... I want to make it to 3,000,000 by the end of June... and as May goes on the calendar gets more complicated.... and I'm out of town for a week in June, so I'd best log the meters as early as possible or I can kiss the 3 mil goodbye. <br /><br />Jim

[old] balbec

Post by [old] balbec » May 4th, 2005, 5:46 am

Hey Specialt, <br />Since November, I have lost 31lbs by excercising and eating more healthly and that also included eating far too many sweets at xmas and occasional feeding frenzies..Im still partial to a chineese takeaway but have tried to limit these to special occasions and not just because I come home from work and am too lazy to cook properly!!<br />I really want to loose about another 14-20lbs, but this will come in time, just enjoy the fact that you are excerising more, feeling healthier and achieving a goal (no matter how slow it seems to be working)!!!<br />Best of luck in your efforts, <br />Mike D

[old] Specialt

Post by [old] Specialt » May 4th, 2005, 2:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-balbec+May 4 2005, 05:46 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(balbec @ May 4 2005, 05:46 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey Specialt, <br />Since November, I have lost 31lbs by excercising and eating more healthly and that also included eating far too many sweets at xmas and occasional feeding frenzies..Im still partial to a chineese takeaway but have tried to limit these to special occasions and not just because I come home from work and am too lazy to cook properly!!<br />I really want to loose about another 14-20lbs, but this will come in time, just enjoy the fact that you are excerising more, feeling healthier and achieving a goal (no matter how slow it seems to be working)!!!<br />Best of luck in your efforts, <br />Mike D <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />thanks, Balbec<br /><br />it really helps to see that so many people find the erg to be an effective weight loss tool. I agree it is very slow going but it took far longer than a few months to get this way so it shoud most definitely take a good while to get rid of it. I am willing to be patient!<br /><br />specialt

[old] kbrown15

Post by [old] kbrown15 » May 4th, 2005, 9:36 pm

I've lost 16 pounds since January by rowing, cutting my carbs and trying to eat more fruit and vegetables. I'm working on losing another 90 pounds. <br /><br />The Concept2 is the only exercise I look forward to. Right now I'm rowing at my company health center during lunch. I do 5K every day I can get away, which is usally about 3 times a week. I am buying a Concept2 for my home and plan to work up to at least 10K a day.<br /><br />Karen

LindaM

Post by LindaM » May 5th, 2005, 11:43 am

Great plan, Karen. 10K - 12K a day makes an enormous difference over 5K. On the days when I don't feel up to that much rowing, I take a long walk up steep hills and stay outside at least 70 minutes. Duration and frequency are key to weight loss.

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » May 5th, 2005, 10:57 pm

I'm down 15 lbs. from February and need to drop another 20. I was a regular Nordic-Trak skier for 15 years then stepped in a hole at work and really screwed up my ankle. In the past 5 years with sporadic sking I put on about 35 lbs. I finally came to the conclusion that I need to do something different and purchased the Concept2<br /><br />I love it and rowing. I watch what I eat basically sticking with a healthy low fat diet. I'm rowing about 50,000 meters a week and did a half-marathon duing the April challenge. My long rows are an hour (*/- 13K) with 10K's (+/- 45 min.) and 30 minute ( +/- 6.8K) rows sandwiched around them.