Short vs. Long distances

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Short vs. Long distances

Post by icomefrombirmingham » July 16th, 2007, 9:46 am

Hi everyone,
My first post.
I started on an erg when I joined my local "Y" here in Niagara Falls, Ontario on May 26th, 2007.
I had never been on an erg before nor have I ever rowed on the water...soon to change, I just signed up for the St. Catharines RC rec league.

My question is: who prefers erging short vs. long distances, and why?

I find that I get more satisfaction from rowing for an hour or completing a HM than I do doing shorter rows or shorter intervals.
I think this is partly because at 264.5lbs (283lbs when I started!) I am amazed that I am still alive at the end of 21,097m...my bottom is on the verge of death...but my heart is still beating.
And partly because my times for the HM (I've only done 2 of them) are relatively much better for than for 2k or 500m.
My best HM was 1:28:44...my best 500 is 2:08...best 2000m 8:19.

I'd be interested to know who likes distance and who likes speed?
Oh, and does the numb-bum improve with time or is it an occupational hazzard?

Regards,
Brent
51yo/M/6'2.5"/264.5lbs

DavidA
10k Poster

Post by DavidA » July 16th, 2007, 1:35 pm

I also prefer longer distances - also partly because my times seem to be better there than for shorter distances. (That's probably only because fewer people are interested in doing the longer distances.)

David
63 y / 70 kg / 172 cm / 5 kids / 17 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994
my log

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » July 16th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Hi Brent,
I started on the machine in April 2006 and haven't yet tried OTW rowing, but that'll happen I'm sure.
I was 272lb when I started and am 225 now. I found the long rows much more enjoyable at the beginning. You seem to see improvement almost every time you row and the weight came off quite quickly.
The shorter events require different training and that training is extremely hard/impossible when you're not fit. Get fit first by rowing 40-60 minutes a day at a comfortable pace and then you can tailor your training to suit what you want to achieve.
I'm never going to be in the Olympics but I'm fitter than I've ever been and having a lot of fun participating in the challenges such as the Cross Team Challenge (CTC).
One thing I do to set my goals, is to read the signatures of others on the forum. I find pepole of similar age, height and weight and compare my times/distances with theirs to see how I compare.
Cheers
Dave
David Chmilowskyj
M 56 6ft 4in/1.94m 230lb/105kg
Team Oarsome

Liquid
500m Poster

Post by Liquid » July 16th, 2007, 2:47 pm

Definitely longer. More peaceful and I like the fit feeling I have at the end. Short rows tend to be exhausting for me. Usually have some numbness but very tolerable even on 20K+ rows.

icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Post by icomefrombirmingham » July 16th, 2007, 3:53 pm

DavidA: yes, unfortunately I had suspected that my HM times looked relatively good only because fewer people like to do them! Ah well, at least I can strive to be a reasonable sized fish in the small pond.

icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Post by icomefrombirmingham » July 16th, 2007, 4:06 pm

Thanks Tinpusher,
I am glad to hear that there is hope for me over shorter distances once I have lost some weight and gained some muscle. I was pleased on the HMs though just to know I had enough "wind" to row for nearly 90 minutes without stopping.
It's also re-assuring to see several other people get on the other three machines, do 10-15 minutes at a moderate pace and then fall off panting and sweating! And to watch the youngsters who get on, row what I assume is 2km in 7-ish minutes...a speed I don't think I will even dream of acheiving...but at least I know I'm going to outlast them.
Can't wait until I'm pushing a mere 224.5lbs backward and forward...well done!
I too will begin to gauge myself from others on here with their times posted on their signatures...good idea.
Brent

icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Post by icomefrombirmingham » July 16th, 2007, 4:11 pm

Liquid,
Yes the numb-bum is tolerable up to HM so far....unsure of it making it through a FM though. I notice C2 sell a seat pad for very little, but it looks like it has to be taped firmly on to the seat...which the Y might not be too pleased about.
Yet another reason for getting my own machine!
Brent

icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Post by icomefrombirmingham » July 16th, 2007, 4:14 pm

BTW Tinpusher,
What's the Cross Team Challenge?
Brent

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » July 16th, 2007, 4:24 pm

Click the CTC link at the bottom of this message to see what this month's challenge is. You need to join a team, virtual or real, and every month there is a different challenge. If you want a team, I'm in the Eh! Team.
You set your affiliation in your profile on the C2 website. All the metres you row are added automatically to the team when you log them online. We've rowed around the world and are now rowing the coast of the Americas.
Dave
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Post by icomefrombirmingham » July 16th, 2007, 10:40 pm

Wow! That looks like fun.
Did you mean that I just add myself to a team? I just write in my profile that I add myself to team x? Or do I have to get "permission".
I assume the Eh? team are all Canadians?

Just did an hour...but the first 500m I did in 1:54...way better than my usual 2:06/7/8.
Brent

icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Post by icomefrombirmingham » July 17th, 2007, 10:42 am

Dave....help!
1) I can't see an "affiliation" box on the profile menu?
2) I think The Eh? Team already has 3 male heavyweights...which I read is the maximum...and one lightweight male. I read somewhere that each boat can have 3 HW ms, 1 LW M, and 1 Female.
This leaves me with a connundrum: have the operation and join The Eh? Team as the female...or....join another boat!
Is there a way around this?
Brent

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » July 17th, 2007, 11:22 am

Don't worry about there being too many HW, as we can fill more boats when the ladies join in. You can only have a maximum of 3 HW men in each boat.

From the C2.com home page click "Ranking & Log" top right.
If you've set yourself up there you'll see "Profile" in the green bar. Click.
Centre of the page under Profile Settings is "Edit Profile" Click.
Scroll down and under "University/Club Standings Affiliation" either search for The Eh! Team or scroll way down in the next bit to find us.
Click update profile and you're done! No permission required for this team, all are welcome. We are Canadian or have some Canadian connection but won't ask for a birth certificate or proof of residency! I was born in Bradford, UK, but have lived here for 4+ years now.

Dave
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Post by icomefrombirmingham » July 17th, 2007, 11:40 am

Thanks Dave. I won't hold Bradford against you....especially as I was born in Birmingham....or had you guessed?

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » July 17th, 2007, 12:35 pm

I had an inkling....don't know what gave it away. Your accent maybe! :wink:
Been here long?
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Post by icomefrombirmingham » July 17th, 2007, 12:57 pm

No only since September....2000.