Summer Training, want to gain weight, get better!!

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Buckiller

Summer Training, want to gain weight, get better!!

Post by Buckiller » June 24th, 2007, 4:49 pm

INTRO: Hello. Im 19, 5'11", ~150lbs. I am now a sophomore in college on the rowing club; I have rowed for 2 semesters. My current 2k times are at 7:12. Max heart rate is about 203 (based off of my current hrt rate monitor)

GOALS: It's now the summer and off-season. I would like to put on a few pounds of muscle, build my flexible, fast strength, and minimize my loss of aerobic base (if at all possible build it)

LIMITATIONS: I have a membership to the ymca and have access to a bike and a stadium to run stairs. The YMCA's two C2's are in bad shape and really aren't useful for any workout with a split under 2min (they said they are buying new ones... but those prolly arent gonna come in till the fall)

I am working a landscaping job (8am-4pm) When I do workout now its in the evening. I would like to put together a workout schedule as well as an eating schedule that would help me reach my goals. I have found that im starting to skip workouts (because of the job... i was doing good until I started it) and not eating as much as I would like to to gain weight. It looks like I may have to start doing training before i go to work.

The training im doing now seems sporadic, but mainly focused on doing high rep, slow down explosive up (after momentum is established) type weights, about 4 core exercises, and even more sporadic cardio (running some stairs, weekend bike rides)

I need some structure in the form of a weekly plan. Can you all help me with this? Again, im really focusing on building muscle (in turn weight... im a pretty lean guy already) and staying fit. If you need any clarifications or have questions, ill be fast to answer. You can give me general advice as well, that would be appreciated! Thanks.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » June 25th, 2007, 3:08 pm

This isn't what you asked, but you might consider not trying to gain weight, but just work on getting stronger and in better shape.
Max Lightweight for college is 160 lbs, with a boat average of 155.correct? You've got three more years of rowing in college and will likely gain weight just by normal growth. If you put on much muscle you may have a hard time in a few years.

For me it is important to be careful about how I eat if I want to workout after work. So bring nutritious snacks to eat in the afternoon, so your energy level doesn't drop off too much at the end of the day. Also just force yourself to do something, even if it is not the full workout you have scheduled. Often I feel awful before I start but once I get going it is OK (as long as I'm not too hungry!).

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, except your cardio workouts should not be sporadic. Keep the weights moving and don't take breaks when switching between exercises so you are getting some cardio benefit.

Buckiller

Post by Buckiller » June 25th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Thanks Nosmo

Good point about 3 more years of probably rowing lightweight. This past semester our lightweight boat was at a boat average of 150lbs. No telling if that's the way it always will be though... So I guess ill just focus on strength building and let the weight come as it may. What type of eating habits go well with weight training to maximize muscle regrowth (or whatever it is that builds muscle lol)

Any ideas for cardio? I hate treadmills and dont really like stationary bikes. I would like to keep the cardio associated with rowing muscles (like running stadiums... but I can't do that all the time) Should I do some long pieces on the crappy ergs?

Ill post a tentative schedule when I come up with one.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » June 25th, 2007, 6:33 pm

You should do a search on weight lifting, gaining weight. A lot of people have asked questions similar to yours.

Could you come up with a few hundred bucks to buy yourself a used erg? I sold my model B last fall for $175. It was perfectly good, but after years of me telling my wife I didn't need a new erg, she finally ignored me bought a model D for my birthday. Check Craigslist.org regularly and you may find some thing. If you can do long workouts on the Y's erg do so, but if they are in really bad shape they may be too depressing. IF the only thing wrong is the monitors, you could use Paul Smiths ErgMonitor software and a lap top instead. Try the demo version first (www.ps-sport.net).

As for cardio, you have to figure out what you can do and what you like so that you don't get burnt out. It depends on what you like and what you can do in your area. Cycling is really good. Speed skating would be great if you have an ice rink. Roller blading is also excellent if you try to go fast (where helmet knee pads, wrist guards). Anything is better then nothing: swimming, kayaking, even jumping rope. Personally I can't stand tread mills or stationary bikes, and could never use them for a summer. There was a period of time when I didn't have much time for working out. So I would walk my dogs on the local fire trails (which are very hilly) with a 30-40 lb pack. That was a real workout and my dogs had time to explore and hunt gophers which they couldn't do if I ran. Be creative.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » June 25th, 2007, 6:59 pm

One more thing. There are a lot of ergs that don't get used at all during the summer. Post an ad asking to barrow or rent one for the summer. There have been many years I would have been happy to let a college athlete have mine for the summer.

Also there may be someplace else you could use an erg. Look at: www.concept2.com/us/support/find/rowerfinder.asp and you may find something. The listing is not complete.

Buckiller

Post by Buckiller » June 26th, 2007, 8:03 pm

Nice link. Mostly came up with ymcas. It did come up with a few promising spots, im going to contact them and see if I can get access to one for free. Unfortunately my city isn't really big on rowing... so i doubt the classified ads route would work.

How many days a week should I be lifting weight (probably not the exact same exercises)

Any favorite rowing workouts that build endurance?

JohnFlynn
Paddler

Post by JohnFlynn » June 26th, 2007, 8:54 pm

Muscle not weight!
146lbs
LP: 1:21 / 2k: 6:57

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » June 26th, 2007, 9:26 pm

Don't give up on the classified. Lots of people buy machines and don't use them. Craigs list is probably the best. I'd post a want ad there. Where do you live?

Also the erg finder is not necessarily accurate. For example the health club at a hotel near me that doesn't have its erg listed. The listing for my rowing club says we have one model C, when in fact we have six or seven machines, both C's and D's.

3x a week for lifting is good. More if you have the time and it is not cutting into your aerobic work. For endurance work on the erg, check out the L4 workouts from the Wolverine Plan.
see www.concept2.com/forums/wolverine_plan.htm and
www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4190
I'd recommend reading all of the posts by Mike Caviston on the second link.
Also check out the training manual on the c2 uk web site: www.concept2.co.uk for more ideas.
Personally I prefer long steady state pieces to the L4. I'll follow the L4 format for up to 15K, but for 20-35K I keep the splits constant to within about 3 seconds and maybe increase the pace toward the end. Don't think this is ideal but mentally it works for me. For endurance you mainly need to put in long pieces. It is best to vary the pace somewhat--do as I say not as I do:). So you could choose two or 3 paces. Say your 5K PB, your 10K PB and say your 10KPB + 10 seconds. Do 3K at 10K+10, 2k at 5K pace, 3K at 10K+10, 2K at 5K pace. OR 4K at 10K pace, then 10 seconds slower for 3K, then 4K at your 10K pace.

I can be a bit nuts when it comes to endurance so although I recommend doing at least 90 minutes continuously once a week, if you can't mentally handle that or don't have the time, do what you can. Few people your age do ergs of over an hour. ( An Olympic sculler once told me that 2 x 10K at a 1:48 pace was his "bread and butter". Don't know how long the break between pieces was.)

You may need to take breaks especially at first for long pieces. But to get your endurance try to keep the breaks very short: 60 to 90 seconds, and try to do at least 10K continuously.

Another thing: there is little point in working out so hard that it interferes with your next workout. So don't over do it. Start easy with the weights--no sense in getting too sore at first.

Buckiller

Post by Buckiller » June 26th, 2007, 11:12 pm

Awesome information!! I doubt I could buy an erg this summer, I am running low on money right now... I did a poor job of managing it all my first year at college. But ill post an ad asking to borrow one (or even rent one if its a good deal lol) Or i might even just ask our club president if I can bring one back from school on a weekend and keep it till school starts back (we have a lot that go to waste during summer) The one at the Y is stealing a good amount of power from me I can tell. A 2:00 split feels like a 1:53.

I live in Birmingham, AL.

3x a week is pretty much what I had in mind... with an option for an extra day (my dad usually tries to get together for a workout on odd days...) To fit into my schedule. I think im going to set the weight lifting to before work (in the morning) on Mon/Wed/Fri.

For Cardio I suppose sometime on Tues/Thurs/Sat would be appropriate. Should I do more than that? Maybe do some light Cardio on weight lifting days?. I think ill split the cardio up into erging, running stadiums along with some heavy cardio calisthenics type stuff I picked up, and prolly Mtn biking.... I might try to get to a swimming pool since I suck at swimming (the 5:00 float test that we had to pass was pretty intense)

Ive already been looking at that C2 uk weight lifting stuff. Some of it is pretty enlightening. I am definitely not used to long pieces on the erg. We pretty much only did those type pieces in the fall... and in the fall I wasn't quite as dedicated to rowing as I was in the spring. What range (%max hrt rate) should I be at for these longer endurance building pieces?

I haven't had time to check out the other 2 links you gave (wolverine/thread) But I guess since tomorrow will be weight lifting ill just check it out tomorrow.

What do you all think about that?

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » June 27th, 2007, 1:47 pm

Your ideas sound good to me. Keep reading all you can about training.
Keep your training interesting so you don't burn out. The mountain biking is really good. One of the things about bike riding is that you have intervals built in to the workout just because of changing terrain, plus you can put in a lot of time for really good endurance. I'd try to do more then three days of cardio--at least four but preferable five (or even six if you can find time and are not too tired)

Endurance is about the hardest aspect of fitness to get but the easiest to keep. So the off season is a really good time to build it. Good endurance will make the training in the fall much easier. It is also a huge advantage in seat races.

Englishman116
Paddler

Post by Englishman116 » July 1st, 2007, 12:12 pm

I would recommend combining both cardio and weightlifting during your workouts. Doing them separately is not necessarily a bad thing, but running before lifting gets your matabolism moving and makes your lifting routine more effective. I think you'll benefit more from that rather than splitting them up throughout the week.

Buckiller

Post by Buckiller » July 1st, 2007, 3:41 pm

Englishman116 wrote:I would recommend combining both cardio and weightlifting during your workouts. Doing them separately is not necessarily a bad thing, but running before lifting gets your matabolism moving and makes your lifting routine more effective. I think you'll benefit more from that rather than splitting them up throughout the week.
Yeah... sometimes I mix and match. Like last week I did a weight lifting session then went to go run some stadiums. In the future I think I will work out and then erg (or erg then workout... which is better?)

Some days when weight lifting, im able to get my heart rate fairly well elevated because of the lower weight high rep stuff im doing... especially doing cleans.