Fat loss?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
ODB
Paddler

Fat loss?

Post by ODB » June 16th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Hello

I just bought a used Model D and am learning how to row. I am going 5 mins at a time just to get use to rowing.

My question is what would be the best program to follow for maximal fat loss? HIIT?

My goal is to get around 10-14% BF by the end of summer with out losing too much muscle.

Thanks

JohnFlynn
Paddler

Post by JohnFlynn » June 16th, 2007, 2:07 pm

To loose fat, you want to be rowing longer, low intensity pieces.
146lbs
LP: 1:21 / 2k: 6:57

Storm Petrel
1k Poster

Post by Storm Petrel » June 16th, 2007, 3:09 pm

JohnFlynn is right, and hopefully the coaches and trainers here will weigh in for you as well with more specifics.

You are exercising the muscles, and rowing is full body work, you won't lose muscle.

Since you haven't rowed before and got your erg used and they probably didn't come with the machine, go to C2's main site (link at top of forum), there click on Training & Competition, then Tools & Resources and Free Training Materials. C2 offers for free, a Technique DVD, a Training Guide and a Log Book. Order them and use them. Make sure you are using correct technique. Get a rowing coach/trainer to watch you or use C2's consult service.

IMO, long slow distance work but mix it up with HIIT and intervals (such as repetitions, short intervals, short-rest intervals, pyramids, etc).
Pull hard!

(edited to clarify what sounded redundant.)
Last edited by Storm Petrel on June 16th, 2007, 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TabbRows
2k Poster

Post by TabbRows » June 16th, 2007, 3:13 pm

ODB,

In general, JF is right, you have to do longer times to lose weigh. % minutes probably barely gets you heart beating in the lower end of your exercise range. You'll eat more in one bite of dinner than you burned in your entire 5 minute workout.

There's proably a ton of info in the health and fitness thread on weight loss workouts.

If you're serious about rowing long term, search this forum for threads on the Wolverine Plan. There's a link in one of the responses by Mike Claviston to the plan's details. It's made for serious rowers but you can tailor the Level 4 workouts into good training/base building routines. They're long, they can brake down into 10 minute increments so you can make them between 20 and 60 minutes. There's a guide to help you determine your pace for each stroke rating you have to maintain for 2 minute increments. You'll get a good long intense workout with varying pressures and levels of excertion. You may also want to look on the UK site for the interactive training. The UT2 and UT1 type workouts are also good for long steady rowing.

But more importantly, keep at it! you'll have good days and poor days. Don't give up on the poor days and don't let the good days fool you into thinking you can set records in your age group or make the Development Squad by year end. That'll turn your next workout to a poor day faster than anything. Stay with it and keep checking in and let us know your progress.

ST
M 64 76 kg

"Sit Down! Row Hard! Go Nowhere!"

ODB
Paddler

Thanks

Post by ODB » June 16th, 2007, 4:56 pm

Hey

Thanks for the replys. I am haveing fun with it so far. I will look in to the Wolverine plan and also get the free traning guide and dvd and start a log.

I am starting a work out from tnation called Meltdown 1 on monday. It lasts three weeks. During that three weeks I will take it slow on the rower, just getting use to the form.

The plan is to lower my BF% and eventually gain LBM. I was doinh well with my lifting untill a shoulder injury in Januaru. I got most of my strength back to where it was but am going about fitness in a diffrent way now, with health and looks being my main goal.

Storm Petrel
1k Poster

Post by Storm Petrel » June 16th, 2007, 9:14 pm

ODB be sure to stretch before and after, and do at least 5 min. warm-up and cool down. Find a pace that allows you to cover a specific distance or time and then build from there. Once you've got a little foundation under your belt there are a number of online challenges which are fun motivation/goals.

If you're not already doing so, eating clean will help speed up your fat loss efforts.

Check out your monitor on the erg. There are a few pre-programed workouts in there also.

Health is priceless. Best wishes for your success.

igoeja
2k Poster

Maybe...

Post by igoeja » June 17th, 2007, 9:53 am

Although common-sense would lead one to believe long moderate-intensity workouts would burn fat more effectively, some recent publications show that short, high-intensity training burn increased amounts of fat. Fully, to get both effects, you should interweave longer pieces of moderate intensity, with some days focused on interval training.

An abstract title from PubMed:

Two weeks of high-intensity aerobic interval training increases the capacity for fat oxidation during exercise in women.

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_pos ... onsumption (refers to increased subcutaneous fat from interval training, includes a reference to http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html)

As for stretching, it is truly questionable, although it is often suggested. Searching PubMed, one would find that reviews of studies conclude that there is little proof to include or exclude stretching. My own feeling, from reviewing PubMed studies, is that you stretch afterwards, if at all, and do not stretch you lower-back.

John Hendrie
1k Poster

Post by John Hendrie » June 17th, 2007, 10:16 am

One more suggestion - be sure to post your data in the on line log. I find that a great incentive
Proud member of the Ancient Mariners.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
You grow old because you stop laughing!!!

Completed circumnavigation of the globe 26 November 2011

ODB
Paddler

Post by ODB » June 17th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Thanks for the info.

I am going to do the Three Week Program for Weight Loss when I finish up meltdown training.

I think I will go with the Getting Started program from concept2.com during meltdown, which lasts three weeks

TabbRows
2k Poster

Post by TabbRows » June 18th, 2007, 8:59 am

igoeja wrote:
Although common-sense would lead one to believe long moderate-intensity workouts would burn fat more effectively, some recent publications show that short, high-intensity training burn increased amounts of fat. Fully, to get both effects, you should interweave longer pieces of moderate intensity, with some days focused on interval training.

An abstract title from PubMed:

Two weeks of high-intensity aerobic interval training increases the capacity for fat oxidation during exercise in women.

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_pos ... onsumption (refers to increased subcutaneous fat from interval training, includes a reference to http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html)
Igoeja,

Perhaps you or someone can devise an adaptation of the sprint/stairs workouts to erging. When I read the sample workouts, what I'm seeing is 40-60 minutes of UT2, maybe UT1, with a fulll power 10/20 thrown in every 4 minutes. I'm not getting the sense of intensity one normally gets with interval workouts like 10X500M ? I see their point in that for most walkers and runners, et. al., you need to add a bit of spice to the same-old-same-old steady pace in front of the TV. That's probably why I prefer WPL4 over steady even pace even rating UT2 workouts...variety.

ODB--What's "Meltdown"? Hope you don't "meltdown' mentally on training. Admire your early determination.
M 64 76 kg

tbartman
1k Poster

From my experience

Post by tbartman » June 19th, 2007, 10:58 am

I've lost almost 80 lbs on the erg in the last 9 or so months. I've been tracking weight and body fat % during the entire time. I'd echo what others have said.

Figure out where your anaerobic threshold is (mine is a heart rate of about 155 for 39 years old, based on my resting heart rate), and exercise just below that for as long as you can. I'll do 1k warmup, 10 row, 1k cooldown (40-45 minutes total) about 3-4 times a week. Big calorie burn. I haven't added lean body mass, but haven't lost either (although I can see muscles that used to be covered with thick layers of fat before).

To build strength or muscle mass, you'd probably want to do much less aerobic work, and focus on short workouts of intervals (more like weightlifting).

you probably can't do both (lose fat and add muscle) at the same time, since one is anabolic and one is catabolic.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1225814673.png[/img]

TabbRows
2k Poster

Post by TabbRows » June 19th, 2007, 1:05 pm

ODB and tbartman,

You guys may want to look into pilates or yoga classes as you lose all the weigh. These alternative training routines can work to improve your core strength and flexibility. So as you lose the fat and your muscles start to "peek-out" they'll be toned (as women prefer to envision muscles) not bulked up. And your spouse will boost your ego by asking oohing ansd aahing when you flex your biceps. For bulk and size you'll have to do the weight work outs. But try an occassional set of "heavy 10s" during your erg sessions, just to help the process along. That's where you ramp up the drag factor to the max on the machine (lever at 10) and perform a specific set of excercises. Details on the C2 site's training manual links. Watch your technique so you don't injure your lower back.

You guys are awesome.
M 64 76 kg