dvd or video to watch while rowing

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
torsaer
Paddler

dvd or video to watch while rowing

Post by torsaer » January 7th, 2007, 2:42 pm

Does anyone know of a dvd or video that I can watch while rowing (I need to row for a minimum of 30 mins and although music helps, I think it would be great to have a video of a course on a river or something like that to help the time pass and motivate me to go longer/faster!

GDP
Paddler

Post by GDP » January 7th, 2007, 5:59 pm

Here is a tip I got from a buddy,

Find an old favorite TV show of yours and get the dvd's. Hour long shows run about 40 minutes with no commercials.

He is using the Sopranos and I am going with Star Trek the next generation, that had well over 100 episodes in its run back in the day.

I also use netflix so I dont have to shell out a bunch of money for each season. gp

kempsonc
Paddler

Post by kempsonc » February 27th, 2007, 7:59 am

A little tip for watching TV: I bought one of those radio transmitters that you can use with your iPod in the car, plugged that into the TV, and I use a walkman to listen to the TV. Otherwise, I find the noise of the flywheel drowns out the TV. Works beautifully.

Charlie

The Vulcan
Paddler

Post by The Vulcan » April 2nd, 2007, 11:48 am

Miracle at Oxford (rowing movie). I found myself rowing to match their pace at the end!

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » April 2nd, 2007, 12:53 pm

GDP wrote:Find an old favorite TV show of yours and get the dvd's. Hour long shows run about 40 minutes with no commercials.
I'll second that. I usually prefer music, but sometimes TV is just the ticket. Back before you could buy the series on DVD, The West Wing on videotape carried me through my first Holiday Challenge .

Since then I've rowed through about a thousand Law & Order reruns, several seasons of Sex & the City, and the first season of House.

kine971
Paddler

Post by kine971 » April 5th, 2007, 4:36 pm

I row during reruns of Scrubs, and during commercials I flip to The West Wing on DVD...I have all 7 seasons.
Ducatista wrote:
GDP wrote:Find an old favorite TV show of yours and get the dvd's. Hour long shows run about 40 minutes with no commercials.
I'll second that. I usually prefer music, but sometimes TV is just the ticket. Back before you could buy the series on DVD, The West Wing on videotape carried me through my first Holiday Challenge .

Since then I've rowed through about a thousand Law & Order reruns, several seasons of Sex & the City, and the first season of House.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » April 5th, 2007, 5:22 pm

Go to youtube.com and watch a documentary like this one:

http://planetquo.com/Chemtrails-Suppres ... -Evolution
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Rocky
Paddler

Post by Rocky » April 6th, 2007, 12:35 am

VHS videotape: Rowing Machine Companion. There appear to be two of them; one is quite a bit shorter than the other, but the packaging is the same. A relative gave me a second copy of the video; I don't know where she got it, and it contained the bonus workouts.

This is an old video with a view from the bow of an eight or a quad, with the rowers in a wooden boat using wooden, spoon blades. You are actually looking at the back of rower from the US National team sitting in front of you, and you can see the bladework of the rest of the crew in front of you. Somebody told me that the guy sitting two seat in the eight is a young Tiff Wood, but that could be a rumor. The boat pieces take place along the Charles river on a beautiful day, and at the end of the last piece you dock at Newell Boat House (the Harvard Boat House).

I like the view of the Charles river in Boston, and I can imagine feeling the boat moving out while I watch it. It's really something to watch to see the boat run out when heavies crank up the power.

Beware though, the shorter video has less challenging workouts than the long one.
The video is apparently available only on VHS.
At amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Rowing-Machine-Co ... 484&sr=1-1

Xeno's DVDs are very helpful. Check out his website for more information www.gorow.com
His DVDs are available here:
http://web.mac.com/xenoralfmuller/iWeb/Site/Shop.html

Xeno has recently started advocating the use of an ergometer that is not the Concept2, but all the DVDs I have seen use the Concept2.

sledgehammer
2k Poster

Post by sledgehammer » April 15th, 2007, 12:18 pm

I like watching rowing races...world championships or olympics...you can buy the DVDs at:

http://tinyurl.com/37eop3

Soccer and hockey games are also fun.

Ernie

simondsuk
Paddler

Post by simondsuk » May 9th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Cant go wrong with watching 24, i do find the time flys by and your hooked till the end of an episode and if your like me you just carry on rowing into the next one :D

TedCG
Paddler

Post by TedCG » May 11th, 2007, 10:35 pm

I've had some good times watching Premier Soccer.(I hope that's right; it's teams like Manchester, Newcastle, etc). The action never stops, and whenever there's some good action near the goal, you get pumped, and erg faster. Unfortunately, availability on my cable service is spotty. Anyway, if you happen upon a live soccer game on the tube, row with it. 90 minutes will fly by. And yes, I know most people call it "football". :wink:
Slow and Steady is my pace, so it seems,
Slow and Steady wins the race, in my dreams.

Shepherd
Paddler

Post by Shepherd » May 12th, 2007, 8:54 am

During the week I catch up on long-running Japanese anime series -- I'm on episode 72 of Bleach now -- two episodes fill out a 10k row pretty well.

For the last few Saturday mornings I've started a tradition of treating myself to a half-marathon and a terrible action movie. Last week was Mr. Majestyk, this week was Death Race: 2000.
Comics, fiction, blogging and way,WAY more: [url=http://shep.ca]visit shep.ca![/url]

Rocky
Paddler

Post by Rocky » May 12th, 2007, 1:49 pm

Are you folks who are watching DVDs using them during intervals, or only during longer pieces?

(On the intervals I have a hard time hearing anything over my gasping breath...) :lol:

Shepherd
Paddler

Post by Shepherd » August 17th, 2007, 1:05 pm

I'm using subtitles. :)
Comics, fiction, blogging and way,WAY more: [url=http://shep.ca]visit shep.ca![/url]

logdoc
Paddler

Post by logdoc » January 3rd, 2008, 7:00 pm

I subscribe to Netflix and plug my head phones into the front of this TV and I am working my way throgh the Academy Awards.
It almost doesn't matter what I watch. :lol: