Tricks to avoid overeating

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
tbartman
1k Poster

Tricks to avoid overeating

Post by tbartman » February 21st, 2007, 1:14 pm

(I'll post this in the weight loss forum as well, but figured additional people might see it here).

I was wondering if anyone has any creative ideas for my problem: I had been an over-eater (and under-exerciser) for >15 years. I noticed that, much like an alcoholic, there were certain environments/situations in which I didn't have the self control to not pig out (for example, on the couch after the kids go to sleep). So, last October I made a commitment to entirely avoid the couch at night, and to row 40-60 minutes most nights during my "time of temptation". Wouldn't you know I've lost 50 lbs (258>208) in 4.5 months? I love how I look and feel, and figure as long as I keep healthy habits, there's no knowing where I'll end up.

Here's the problem: I just got back from a weekend at the in-laws. Very obese family, lots of food (and lots of it bad), lots of deserts, lots of sitting around the table for hours talking (and then nibbling the whole time). It was like taking a recovered alcoholic and locking him in a bar overnight. Of course there's all this psychological garbage about eating (on top of all the usual psychological stuff with mothers- and sons-in-law). It was so horrible, that even after a 12 hour car trip home, I rushed to my erg in hopes of undoing some of the damage.

What can I do next trip to only eat a proper amount of healthy (-er) food without causing tons of family strife or avoiding the family all together? Has anyone else figured out what to do when everyone around you is engorging themselves and you're trying desperately to avoid doing the same?

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » February 21st, 2007, 6:01 pm

Tbartman,

First of all congratulations on the AWESOME weight loss! You hit the problem with a double wammy. Reduced calorie intake and replaced with calorie burning. I answered a similar question in a running forum and will post it below rather than retype. I used to consume a lot of calories in the evening after the kids went to bed as did you.

Up until about a year ago, I would binge on a regular basis, usually in the evening. I hit 186lbs. and realized that at in another 10 years I would be at 200+ if I kept it up. I was always blessed with a turbo metabolism and did not stat gaining weight until mid 30's. It was common for me to down 5 tortillas slathered with butter and honey or jelly at 9PM in the evening. That's over 1000 calories.

I started doing the 6 meal a day thing (5 really) and it made a big differenct. I don't think I was getting enough calories during the day before and I would get humger pangs and light headedness before each of my three meals.

Since starting this a year ago, I have dropped from 186 to 172 (I am 6'1") and remained stable for the last 6 months. A typical day's eating:

6:30 Whole Wheat bagel with butter and honey and a handful of almonds

9:30 Banana and a cliff bar

12:30 Ham Sandwich, half a green pepper or other vegetable and a piece of fruit

3:30 Two Whole Wheat Tortilla and 8 oz. plain regular yogurt and piece of fruit.

6:00 Regular Dinner. Maybe a bowl of pasta and salad or a good size slice of meat loaf and salad. Never have the desire for seconds or thirds anymore.

On the rare occasions I feel hungry at night, I will have a normal size bowl of honey nut cheerios with 2% milk.

For me, switching to this pattern of eating keeps me from ever feeling hungry during the day and eliminated the desire to binge in the evening. I think by eating more frequently, my stomach has shrunk (if that is physically possible). When I go out for dinner, I sometimes can not finish my whole dinner (most of the time I can) and I no longer finish my dinner, the half of the hamburger my wife did not eat and the rest of my sons chicken strips and fries. A big difference.

Try it, it might work for you to.

So in a nut shell I think that eating more often but less at each sitting has shrunk my stomach so now when I am in a situation (buffet, holiday dinner, etc). where there is a big potential to pig out, I physically can not put down as much food.

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » February 21st, 2007, 6:50 pm

Cook up lots of fresh veggies and load up on those.

You won't have room for anything else.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

seat5
2k Poster

Post by seat5 » February 24th, 2007, 12:41 pm

See if you can get a hold of the book "Inner Eating" which addresses a lot of the mental reasons for over eating and has some good strategies for overcoming them.
Carla Stein--F 47 HWT

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1193870739.png[/img]

margaret
500m Poster

Post by margaret » February 27th, 2007, 7:47 pm

I too am tempted to overeat. However, I often lose weight on holidays since I'm on my guard then. My primary defense is to keep a no or low calorie beverage I like in hand whenever tempted to put something in my mouth (coffee with milk, tea or seltzer water--I avoid diet soda like the plague). I try to get out for a walk at least once during the day; it helps if there are kids, dogs, or other adults who want to join me, or at least keep busy--visiting out of reach of the chips or helping in the *** DELETE - SPAM ***. If it fits in with the big plan, I provide a more healthful snack I like (e.g. vegies & spicy dip, popcorn, apples) or meal options.

Constant snacking/drinking isn't great, but healthier options reduce the damage.

Good luck. Your progress is awesome.
F45, HW
Feel the best I can, Do the most I can, Thank God
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1169360601.png[/img]

BobD
1k Poster

Post by BobD » February 28th, 2007, 2:26 pm

If I get a sudden urge, I go brush my teeth and use mouthwash. Nothing tastes good after that. :D
Bob in Munich
84yrs, 85 kilos or 187 pounds, 185 cm or
6ft I Row and I ride my E-Bike.

thejoker
Paddler

Post by thejoker » March 4th, 2007, 12:58 pm

chew gum. this works wonders when I go anywhere where nibbles etc are available. a very good excuse to give too. its a lot of effort to dispose of gum so you find yourseld not wanting to bother also.

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » March 10th, 2007, 12:36 pm

Incredible tbartman.

Next get together, see if you can get folks to talk while on a long walk. Speed unimportant. Distance from the food is.

You might tell the family you have developed a food allergy to rich foods. You sort of have anyway. If nothing else, ask then to keep things away from you. You might tell them you have lost 50 lbs, but not in a bragging manner. You are looking for sympathy since you love food, but now can't or shouldn't eat much, and hopefully might motivate them with a little reverse logic.
Do your warm-ups, and cooldown, its not for you, its for your heart ! Live long, and row forever !
( C2 model A 1986 )

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Tricks to avoid overeating

Post by johnlvs2run » March 10th, 2007, 4:49 pm

tbartman wrote:What can I do next trip to only eat a proper amount of healthy (-er) food without causing tons of family strife or avoiding the family all together? Has anyone else figured out what to do when everyone around you is engorging themselves and you're trying desperately to avoid doing the same?
It it was me I would avoid that place like the plague.

If you want to spend time with them, then I'd find some other time when they are not eating, i.e. not your vacation. If they are eating all the time then go somewhere else.

I can think of better things to do on vacations and would not waste my life to be around those kinds of conditions.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Blaze
Paddler

RE: Diet soda

Post by Blaze » April 5th, 2007, 2:08 pm

I'm interested to know why you avoid diet soda like the plague, Margaret. I used to drink it quite often, but not so much any more. Is it personal taste? Or is there something harmful in the diet soda?

Also, congratulations tbartman on the incredible weight loss.
Blaze

Storm Petrel
1k Poster

Post by Storm Petrel » May 2nd, 2007, 5:03 pm

tbartman,

My congrats as well on your weight loss, and best wishes for continued success!

I don't drink diet sodas any more either. IMO, the sweetener aspartame (Nutra-Sweet) found in most diet drinks is potentially very harmful.
There are many info sites out there if you want to research it.

Like BobD, I won't eat after brushing my teeth. Helps me to not partake esp. in the evenings when the Mr. is snacking.

Try keeping a large bottle of water with you at all times to sip on when temptation knocks. If you don't care for plain water, adding a packet of Emergen-C will give it a small amount of flavor, sweetness and vitamins and minerals, and only 20 calories per packet.

As others recommended, choose to eat FRESH fruits and vegetables (esp. raw veggies) while the others are eating off-limit foods. If need be, prepare at home and take along fresh fruit salads, green salads and veggie platters with you to make sure healthy foods are available for you.

Besure to get the exercise in as well, go walking as LJWagner mentioned or running, and resistance bands are lightweight and packable. Is there a gym (with an erg) nearby? Purchase a pass for the time you're in the area to get your daily workouts in.

You may find the books "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and "The Eat Clean Diet" by Tosca Reno (both about clean eating as a lifestyle not a short term diet perse) informative and helpful You could take copies along to share with your relatives to help explain/show them why you're making the food choices you are.

Good luck.

onealjn
Paddler

Thankfully it ain't rocket science

Post by onealjn » May 3rd, 2007, 12:10 pm

Congratulations on the weight loss.

Over course, the harder part it keeping it off for good.

Unless you are trying to attempt extreme morphological change (i. e. bodybuilding style % BF), then IMHO maintaining your weight loss comes down to being honest with yourself every time you eat something.

Mindfully approaching eating is a great way to short-circuit impulsive eating. It also allows for slower and greater enjoyment the foods you are eating.

But it sounds like you have things under control and are worried about special occasions. I say eat-up. Humans beings since time immemorial have gorge themselves into food induced stupors for special occasions. There is no problem with this; in fact, after mindfully approaching eating for sometime, you might find that revisiting your old behaviors once in a while reinforces your resolve to eat more healthfully.

Over-eating != alcoholism. A single binge can kill an alcoholic or drug addict. You cannot overeat yourself into illness or death in an evening or weekend.

Eat cleanly and moderately 90% and you will maintain and further your weight loss. Don't worry about the other 10% as long as it remains 10%.

Good luck!

Jason

thejoker
Paddler

Post by thejoker » November 27th, 2007, 10:12 am

2 very, very simple things you need to do to make losing weight an absolute piece of pi55.
screw the bagel for breakfast and all these 'you have to eat 6 times a day' things. most people doing this start by eating way too much.

for breakfast, you need something thats gonna fill you up, and keep you ful for 6-7 hours - very tasty, low energy density and slow release.

(bo11ox to the 'metabolic slowdown', you may not be burning as many calorie but you'll be eating a hell of a lot less - YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!)

Breakfast is basically a massive bowl of Quaker oats, heated up with milk. We're talking a lot here, 100-150g, which comes out at 500-600 calories. It fills you up and is warm, so keeps you satisfied. I guaruntee if you eat this at, say 7.30, you will not get hungry, or have any cravings for food till 2 in the afternoon.

Have a sandwich/ whatever takes your fancy for lunch.

Piece of fruit or 2 for an afternoon snack.

Dinner is more low energy density stuff, pasta, rice, with chicken.

IN THE EVENINGS CHEW GUM! Tastes nice and will always make you think twice before snacking out, because you have to get rid of the gum first. Its even better when this is not easily disposed of, e.g. at the cinema.

So basically

Breakfast - 150g QUAKER OATS (a lot! ie 3x serving suggestion, easier eaten straight of of the pan) 500cals
Lunch - whatever - 400cals
Afternoon - 2 pieces of fruit - 250 cals
Dinner - pasta+chicken/curry - 600cals
Evening - CHEW GUM

This comes out at 1750cals and, no joke, YOU WILL NEVER FEEL HUNGRY EATING THIS DIET. Seriously, anyone who eats a stupid amount of oats for breakfast will not get hungry during the day. I eat this and find myself wanting to be hungry so I can really get stuck into food sometimes.

Unless you are a compulsive overeater with no self-control who binges when not even hungry, this plan WILL WORK. Try it for yourself for a week to see the results.

THE 150g OF OATS IS ESSENTIAL

HAPPY WEIGHT LOSS

icomefrombirmingham
2k Poster

Post by icomefrombirmingham » November 27th, 2007, 10:38 am

John Rupp wrote:Cook up lots of fresh veggies and load up on those.

You won't have room for anything else.
Or even don't cook them.
6'2.5", 228lbs[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1247165781.png[/img]

Snail Space
2k Poster

Post by Snail Space » November 27th, 2007, 10:46 am

Tom

Big congrats on an impressive change in both your physique and your life-style. However, your in-laws probably think that you look ill since you lost weight, and feel duty bound to feed you up! Family politics can be insuperable, so you will probably just have to console yourself that the trips are (hopefully) infrequent.

We are in similar professions. I used to make constructive use of on-call rotas (real or fictional) to control the frequency of visits to unwelcome destinations!

As for snacking at home, my own killer is the biscuit tin (I think that's the same as cookies). I know that each biscuit contains 90cals, and that most people can enjoy one or two with a cup of tea (How English!), but the only dose of biscuit that I know is the whole packet! My answer is to pick up a piece of fruit whenever I'm tempted. The only temptation that I can't resist is stem ginger cookies, so I ask my wife to avoid buying them except near birthday or Christmas time.

I completely agree with TheJoker about porridge. I row at about 06:00hr and then have a bowl of porridge for breakfast. I use half a cup of oats with a full cup of soya milk. As it cooks I stir in two mashed bananas (to sweeten it instead of using sugar) and either a handful of sultanas or a finely chopped fresh fig. I reckon on 600-700cals, but I too never feel hungry for the rest of the morning. Oh, and it's delicious too.

Cheers
Dave