During a 2k, higher stroke rate or more power per stroke?

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
worldted
Paddler

Post by worldted » March 15th, 2007, 3:23 pm

John Rupp wrote:
worldted wrote:Make no mistake, I NEED to lose 10 lbs. :lol:
You can do it! :)
Thanks for the vote of confidence, John. Just as that final 500 meters is the toughest to row (in a 2K race anyway), that final 10 lbs is the most difficult to lose. :?

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

rule of the last inch

Post by johnlvs2run » March 15th, 2007, 4:02 pm

You're welcome, WorldTed.

Your comment reminded me of this quotation.

The rule of the last inch

Now listen to the rule of the last inch. The realm of the last inch. The job is almost finished, the goal almost attained, everything possible seems to have been achieved, every difficulty overcome - and yet the quality is just not there. The work needs more finish, perhaps further research.

In that moment of weariness and self-satisfaction, the temptation is greatest to give up, not to strive for the peak of quality. That's the realm of the last inch - here the work is very, very complex but it's also particularly valuable because it's done with the most perfect means.

The rule of the last inch is simply this - not to leave it undone. And not to put it off - because otherwise your mind loses touch with that realm. And not to mind how much time you spend on it, because the aim is not to finish the job quickly, but to reach perfection.

-- Solzhenitsyn
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Kangaroo
500m Poster

Post by Kangaroo » April 3rd, 2007, 10:27 am

Honestly, I think it depends on the person (as stated). With my experience I've always had slower stroke rates but faster times than my crew. I've been lighter than them on average as well.

In a biology lesson, a teacher was telling us about different types of fibre in a person that enabled them to different things. A sprinter would have (white) elastic fibres and a long distance runner would have (yellow) inelastic fibres. Find a rate that you are comfortable with and try keep it consistant throughout the erg.

A great thing would be to be able to (at the biginning of the season) pull a slow rate with power, pulling the same, or faster times than competition and throughout the season build fitness up so you will be able to use that same power with each stroke at a higher rate for the entire 2k.

Sean Seamus
1k Poster

Post by Sean Seamus » April 3rd, 2007, 2:15 pm

A great thing would be to be able to (at the beginning of the season) pull a slow rate with power, pulling the same, or faster times than competition and throughout the season build fitness up so you will be able to use that same power with each stroke at a higher rate for the entire 2k.
I do believe that is the basis of " 10 mps ".

I can only wish I could do it ! My Heart Rate blows way high long before I get to pulling that level at 30-odd strokes per minute. As I am old and non-elite, I bow to the dictates of reason, and slack back a tad.

I am training now for Jan 2008, and looking forward to testing my limits through the coming months at 28 & 30 & 32 spm. My modest goal is a 7:30 2k. 8.94 mps at 30 spm would do it, and the game is to decide if this works better for me than 9.58 at 28, or 8.38 at 32. At this point I suspect that the higher rating takes more out of me than the "harder" stroke - but time and testing will tell.
Train Don't Strain ~ Think or Sink