Sore butt

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » March 8th, 2007, 11:39 am

There seems to be enough friction with the wooden dowel that the seat does not move forward or backward relative to the wooden frame. However, if it became a problem for someone, you could make those two wooden cross strips that keep the dowel in place higher, and perhaps bevel them a little near the edges, so the seat could not move forward or backward.

However, a better solution would be to get a CorePerform seat, which is more elegant, and which gets nice reviews. The unstable seat does give a more on-the-water feel and I think it helps improve balance and core strength.

Byron

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » March 8th, 2007, 12:44 pm

I did a half marathon time trial two days ago and my butt was the sorest part of my body by far. The same occurred after another half marathon time trial two years ago. My gluts don't get sore after long relatively easy rowing, and they don't get sore after shorter faster rowing as I am used to these things. It is the long faster rowing - when not used to it - where this occasionally happens to me.

Less padding works better for me. As on a bicycle, I have found that any kind of pads, padding, or the shorts being too snug in back make my butt ache unmercifully. Unpadded nylon/lycra bicycle shorts are my favorites, as they have plenty of room in the butt. The problem with pads is they cause a built up of heat, and also it is hard to move around on the seat with them. If you have a pad plastered to your butt, expecially attached to your shorts, then you're not going to be able to move away from that heat while you're rowing. Yikes.

Doing split stretches on the floor before, during and after rowing helps me quite a bit. I used to run up hills a lot and am going to do this more again. I'm experimenting doing some bodyweight squats but these are very easy to do so I think running the hills is much better. Regularly including faster rowing over distance is probably the best preparation.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Woodpunk
Paddler

Post by Woodpunk » March 10th, 2007, 5:56 am

Wow Byron,

That's some work you've done to your ergo! Thanks for the ideas. I think they may get tried in the coming week.

Woodpunk

Buckiller

Post by Buckiller » March 29th, 2007, 3:34 pm

My butt hurts a lot when I wear spandex to erg in... a temporary solution is to slide farther up onto the seat so that it feels you are possibly slightly off of it.

This is not good form and, as i learned the hard way, does not transfer well to OTW technique (caused the seat to stop me almost 2 feet from the catch because the pressure on the front of the seat pinched the wheels and acted as a brake) But... if your wearing something that seems to magnify the butt pain, this is a good way to alleviate some of it.

Woodpunk
Paddler

Post by Woodpunk » April 1st, 2007, 4:37 pm

So far I've stuck with cotton lycra mix all-in-one suit and had no problems.

Woodpunk

chazi73
Paddler

Post by chazi73 » April 2nd, 2007, 5:43 pm

Hi, my first post and it's about a sore butt. I was hoping it would be about something more technical ha ha.
Just taken up rowing again as want to complete the marathon, managed the 1/2 a few years ago when I used to use indoor rowing for fitness and thought it was amazing, apart from the soreness i got, more of a friction burn rather than sore tail bone.
Since returning I am trying to mix 2k training with longer rows building up to the marathon(not too sure if that's a good combination). Not getting soreness as yet, after reading about the "bubble wrap" I was wondering if anyone has used it and if it worked asI'm away to up the duration from 1hr to 1.5hr/2hr.

thanx for any reply
PB's - 2k - 7.18/10k - 41.40/HM - 1.44.40/Fm - Training at the moment