40+ stroke rate wins Men's Open Lwt at WIRC

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » February 28th, 2007, 11:45 am

coggs wrote:He had fellow Danes on each side. Mads Rasmussen on #8 and Eskild Ebbsen on #10. The amazing thing about Stephansens piece was that his erg was galloping forward on the first 10 strokes before a volunteer put her foot on it to keep it from moving. I suspect that cost him a WR. But it was his WR already so I suspect it's only a matter of time befor he lowers it.
A leaping erg doesn’t say much for his technique. It takes a lot of energy to lift the entire weight of the erg and rower off the floor and it is just wasted. OTW, it is even worse. An erg jump in the direction of the wheel translates to a very serious check of the run of a boat. Does he row OTW? If so, his coach really has his work cut out for him.

On the positive side, if Henrik could shift some of that grasshopper energy into more wheel spinning, he ought to be a cinch to break the 6’ time.

Bob S.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » February 28th, 2007, 12:21 pm

Bob S. wrote:
coggs wrote:He had fellow Danes on each side. Mads Rasmussen on #8 and Eskild Ebbsen on #10. The amazing thing about Stephansens piece was that his erg was galloping forward on the first 10 strokes before a volunteer put her foot on it to keep it from moving. I suspect that cost him a WR. But it was his WR already so I suspect it's only a matter of time befor he lowers it.
A leaping erg doesn’t say much for his technique. It takes a lot of energy to lift the entire weight of the erg and rower off the floor and it is just wasted. OTW, it is even worse. An erg jump in the direction of the wheel translates to a very serious check of the run of a boat. Does he row OTW? If so, his coach really has his work cut out for him.

On the positive side, if Henrik could shift some of that grasshopper energy into more wheel spinning, he ought to be a cinch to break the 6’ time.

Bob S.

Movings erg is not rare for top ergers. Makes you wonder how important technique really is :lol:

almostflipped
1k Poster

Post by almostflipped » February 28th, 2007, 12:25 pm

I wonder if the one behind him is his dad.
If you are referring to the grey haired fellow with the red shirt, I don't believe so. I think he is a Danish coach as he very closely resembles a man in older Crash-b photos with Eskild.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » February 28th, 2007, 1:05 pm

almostflipped wrote:If you are referring to the grey haired fellow with the red shirt, I don't believe so. I think he is a Danish coach as he very closely resembles a man in older Crash-b photos with Eskild.
Thanks.
hjs wrote:Movings erg is not rare for top ergers. Makes you wonder how important technique really is :lol:
Right on. :)
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » February 28th, 2007, 1:21 pm

Bob S. wrote:

Bob S.
The Erg jumping in the direction of the flywheel ("backwards") would certainly not cost him any time, since all it does is allow for a quicker engagement of the flywheel clutch. In fact, when Lisa stepped on the Erg to keep it from moving, it would cause Henrik to bring his mass up to speed to catch the flywheel rather than the erg mass moving the other way, this may well have complicated it for him. It also doesn't translate directly to bad boat moving, just as when the Erg is on slides the backwards travel of the Erg does not imply increased boat check. (one would have to watch the seat relative to the floor) Just think of henrick being on Slides with a lot of friction to deal with. :wink:

That said, he won't be beating out Eskild in any seat racing, as Eskild uses the Early part of the drive so much more effectively, which makes huge differences on the water due to the blade/water interface differing much from a chain/cog interface.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

yehster
500m Poster

Post by yehster » February 28th, 2007, 2:23 pm

PaulS wrote: The Erg jumping in the direction of the flywheel ("backwards") would certainly not cost him any time, since all it does is allow for a quicker engagement of the flywheel clutch. In fact, when Lisa stepped on the Erg to keep it from moving, it would cause Henrik to bring his mass up to speed to catch the flywheel rather than the erg mass moving the other way, this may well have complicated it for him. It also doesn't translate directly to bad boat moving, just as when the Erg is on slides the backwards travel of the Erg does not imply increased boat check. (one would have to watch the seat relative to the floor) Just think of henrick being on Slides with a lot of friction to deal with. :wink:
I buy your argument that erg jumping does not necessarily reflect poor OTW technique, but I disagree that it doesn't hurt your time. There is non-zero energy dissipated to friction that won't be registered to the PM. You can calculate this loss, which is going to be equal to F*d, where d is the distance the erg moved, and F is the force of friction, equal to the mass of the system times the coefficient of kinetic friction.

I believe that you could approximate the distance lost by computing this energy dissipation (call it E) and dividing by the power being recorded by the PM at that instant to get a time in seconds. Multiply that time by the speed the PM is using at that moment, and volia, a distance. I'm sure I'm ignoring some terms, but this ought to be close enough from an "engineering" standpoint. That said, the distance lost to the meter is going to be less than the distance the erg moved. However, without Lisa stepping on it, he would lose some distance every stroke.

This scenario is different than being on slides, because the energy that goes into moving the erg on slides is returned to you through the bungies, where as without them, all that energy is dissipated as friction to the floor.

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » February 28th, 2007, 3:23 pm

yehster wrote:
PaulS wrote: The Erg jumping in the direction of the flywheel ("backwards") would certainly not cost him any time, since all it does is allow for a quicker engagement of the flywheel clutch. In fact, when Lisa stepped on the Erg to keep it from moving, it would cause Henrik to bring his mass up to speed to catch the flywheel rather than the erg mass moving the other way, this may well have complicated it for him. It also doesn't translate directly to bad boat moving, just as when the Erg is on slides the backwards travel of the Erg does not imply increased boat check. (one would have to watch the seat relative to the floor) Just think of henrick being on Slides with a lot of friction to deal with. :wink:
I buy your argument that erg jumping does not necessarily reflect poor OTW technique, but I disagree that it doesn't hurt your time. There is non-zero energy dissipated to friction that won't be registered to the PM. You can calculate this loss, which is going to be equal to F*d, where d is the distance the erg moved, and F is the force of friction, equal to the mass of the system times the coefficient of kinetic friction.

I believe that you could approximate the distance lost by computing this energy dissipation (call it E) and dividing by the power being recorded by the PM at that instant to get a time in seconds. Multiply that time by the speed the PM is using at that moment, and volia, a distance. I'm sure I'm ignoring some terms, but this ought to be close enough from an "engineering" standpoint. That said, the distance lost to the meter is going to be less than the distance the erg moved. However, without Lisa stepping on it, he would lose some distance every stroke.

This scenario is different than being on slides, because the energy that goes into moving the erg on slides is returned to you through the bungies, where as without them, all that energy is dissipated as friction to the floor.
Well, it costs him less energy to drive the Erg backward than to bring his body to a stop and reverse his momentum. I think "by defnition" would be the appropriate description.

If he were pulling the Erg forward during the recovery, not that would indeed be quite an energy use that is not registered on the PM, but it's not for anyone, and only serves to complicate the change in direction at the catch. All the forces have to balance.

There is evidence for this in his remarkable VO2Max testing over a 6 minute time, on slides. Where he nearly nicked 2000m in 6:00. Which he has not really come all that close to when on the grounded Erg. (publicly reported anyhow)

Theoretically, the Slides don't really need the bungees at all, but due to imperfections in us as humans, they do provide the slight balancing forces required to keep us centered. In fact, a perfectly level and very long set of near frictionless tracks would be a great way of really sorting out rowers for technique issues, since there would be 3 possibilities.
1 - No net system movement (Perfectly balanced - Good)
2 - Net movement in the direction of the flywheel (Bad)
3 - Net movement in the direction opposite the flywheel (Good)

This really addresses how well the athlete manages the varying momentum of their body in the appropriate directions, something that is important in a boat, and even on the Erg to a lesser degree.

Of course this only applies if the rails are of very low friction in both directions, if the friction is high then we can't tell anything, because it's too easy for the rower to control what they do with the available friction.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.

yehster
500m Poster

Post by yehster » February 28th, 2007, 4:26 pm

PaulS wrote:
Well, it costs him less energy to drive the Erg backward than to bring his body to a stop and reverse his momentum. I think "by defnition" would be the appropriate description.

If he were pulling the Erg forward during the recovery, not that would indeed be quite an energy use that is not registered on the PM, but it's not for anyone, and only serves to complicate the change in direction at the catch. All the forces have to balance.
Makes sense, to restate, my analysis only computes one component of wasted energy and is incomplete. To truly determine if he lost or gained time, we'd have to compare the sum of frictional loss to the floor(Fr) + energy required for inertial changes when the erg moves(I1) vs. energy required for inertial changes when erg is fixed (I2). Given how much less the erg weighs than the rower, I2 is generally going to be much bigger than I1 and likely more than enough to overcome the increased loss to Fr.

It's all coming together. I understand now why"optimal" stroke rates on the erg are lower than OTW. I understand better how/why slides work. The problem is now I want a set. Alternately, I can rethink the tape I have on my erg to eliminate slippage on the floor. Although without it, I'll slide into wall quickly and be in the same situation anyway ;)

Paul, you're smart, thanks for your insight!

I don't really have enough room for slides in the position/location that my erg is setup anyway. The "better" approach for reducing my inertial losses would be to get rid of this extra mass :roll:

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » February 28th, 2007, 6:39 pm

yehster wrote:
PaulS wrote:

Makes sense, to restate, my analysis only computes one component of wasted energy and is incomplete. To truly determine if he lost or gained time, we'd have to compare the sum of frictional loss to the floor(Fr) + energy required for inertial changes when the erg moves(I1) vs. energy required for inertial changes when erg is fixed (I2). Given how much less the erg weighs than the rower, I2 is generally going to be much bigger than I1 and likely more than enough to overcome the increased loss to Fr.

It's all coming together. I understand now why"optimal" stroke rates on the erg are lower than OTW. I understand better how/why slides work. The problem is now I want a set. Alternately, I can rethink the tape I have on my erg to eliminate slippage on the floor. Although without it, I'll slide into wall quickly and be in the same situation anyway ;)

Paul, you're smart, thanks for your insight!

I don't really have enough room for slides in the position/location that my erg is setup anyway. The "better" approach for reducing my inertial losses would be to get rid of this extra mass :roll:
Indeed, getting rid of the "extra mass", especially if it is not particularly useful, is the first order of business for many of us. Wish I had a good answer for that one.

If you are using the Tape to resist movement in a single direction (hopefully the direction you are facing), and want to eliminate the tape. Get a chunk of 4 x 4, put some type of padding on both ends so that it doesn't scratch the Erg or Wall, then place it in the gap to the wall, a few strokes and you will have it snugly in place and no more movement will happen. Our Ergs at University had the back leg chained to a post so we would only progress so far on the smooth concrete floor before the tension held us in place. I picked up some foam mats at Costco (that fit together like puzzle pieces) that would work under a regular Erg, I put them under the Slides as a bit of protection for the hardwood floor, but recently had the Erg on them without the slides and it seemed to stay in place. We switch from Slides to Grounded from time to time, because the differences felt after the switch indicate some unusual body movement habit that might need to be addressed.
Erg on,
Paul Smith

stroke_1t
Paddler

Post by stroke_1t » March 1st, 2007, 12:15 am

I think I read somewhere that Stephansen won some Junior international thing in a double. I saw him after the race and though he didn't look to tired maybe right after the piece was done, that was probably the pump up you must get from winning an Open event at 18. Later he was on the floor bleeding slightly from the nose...However Esklid could be found in the back enjoying some kind of sandwich 15 minutes after pushing out a max 2000m while everybody else was contemplating the best place to vomit. Whaaatt...

As far as non-water oriented erg technique, Rasmussen looked the craziest to me, he almost hits his knees on the recovery every stroke. I'm PRETTY sure thats not how he wins in the Light double. Doesn't stop him from taking 2nd on the erg. I was really curious to see how exactly a 42 base rating gets done, and from what I observed they don't take the full slide. Shins don't usually get past 75ish degrees, and That seems to be the key to the high stroke rating, not the damper setting. Also they don't recover in as strict a sequence as you would in a boat, the whole body just zooms toward the catch all at once. A freakishly high V02 max and pain tolerance help too I'm sure. Not an approach for the average lightweight, but just in case you're thinking about pushing out a 6:07, that might be helpful.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » March 1st, 2007, 10:05 am

I am not completely sure how the C2 calculates power, but the faster the flywheel the more quickly it slows down on the recovery. At a given speed, a high stroke rating means the fly wheel is moving at a more constant speed and the catch will be relatively softer. Seems to me that the faster one goes the more benifit one gets from these high stroke ratings.
I'd also be willing to bet that the better shape one is in the more benifit there is to high stroke ratings. One is using relatively more aerobic capacity.

The previous comment about the shorter stroke makes sense also. When I was in college we had a coach for one year (Steven Orova sp?, an ex- italian national team menber or coach), who thought us the Polino (Pollino? Pollinno?) sprint. This involved very high stroke ratings at about half slide for the last 150 meters or so.

Seems like I've hurd of some elitelightweight scullers racing OTW at over 40 stokes per minute.

kipkeino68
500m Poster

Post by kipkeino68 » March 1st, 2007, 12:12 pm

I think its interesting that Henrik Stephansen doesn't have "perfect form".

Elbows out, shorter stroke, and high stroke rate works for him.

This reminds me of how people thought that Michael Johnson ( The greatest 400M runner of all time)
ran with too short of a stride and his back too straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuFLXgl4 ... ed&search=

As long as Henrik keeps winning, I doubt his coach will try to "correct" his form.
Bill Burke
52M, 72.0 kg, 5'10.5", 153 lbs
Started 12-15-2006
2K: 7:08.7
1K: 3:23.8

Kinley
1k Poster

Post by Kinley » March 1st, 2007, 1:16 pm

kipkeino68 wrote:I think its interesting that Henrik Stephansen doesn't have "perfect form".

Elbows out,
Elbows out is fine. It's called "sculling."

coggs
2k Poster

Post by coggs » March 1st, 2007, 2:46 pm

I agree with Kinley - Herick's wide elbows look fine to me. I was really surprised by the number of people in Boston who rowed with their elbows close to the body and bent wrists at the release. Being an OTW sculler I'm always told that's a no-no.
If you don't try, you will never know how bad you suck.

Master D (54) / 208#
500M/1:38, 2K/7:02.3, 6K/22:17, 10K/38:31, 30'/7,700M, 60'/15,331M, HM /1hr 23:03 (all done back in 2007)

kipkeino68
500m Poster

Post by kipkeino68 » March 1st, 2007, 9:26 pm

I agree that elbows out seems for powerful. It looks like more arms, shoulders, and chest as compared to more lats. I'm not sure why the demonstrations of proper erg technique have elbows in.
http://www.concept2.com/us/training/start/
I guess everyone should play to there own strengths. I still have a lot to learn, and I'm open to experiment. I'll try elbows out.
Bill Burke
52M, 72.0 kg, 5'10.5", 153 lbs
Started 12-15-2006
2K: 7:08.7
1K: 3:23.8