Carbs

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] balbec

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] balbec » November 12th, 2004, 10:48 am

Inside work, I usually brouse through the uk Concept 2 website and I've a beginners question.<br><br>I've been rowing for about 3-4 weeks now and I'm getting slightly fitter, but I did overtrain there about 2 nights ago and hopefully will try a nice 30min row tonight (was very fit at one stage, got injured and was in college, got into a rut and by the time I go get going again, I was in a tough college year so unfortunately training was 2nd place). <br><br>I know everyone is saying that the scales wont matter for the first while, clothes will feel looser, etc, but I'm wondering what carbs I should be eating.<br>Weetabix in morning, scone at teabreak in work, lunch - chicken roll, dinner - meat, veg & potatoes, snack - cereal, fruit (if needed). What should I change about this as I want more energy because I have a tyre that needs to be lost.<br><br>What sort of carbs should I be eating and at what time, the erg for me is to loose weight and to get fit enough to play rugby again asap (need to loose 2 stone)<br>

[old] eurofoot13

Post by [old] eurofoot13 » November 12th, 2004, 1:18 pm

I have been told that eating as your grandparents did would be quite a sufficent and healthy diet. this is to say, drop the soda, drop the sweets, (not entirely of course! but save them for treats, say, every time you do a pb, treat yourself to ice cream) and just eat more whole grains, try to avoid processed foods, and just eat a balanced diet.

LindaM

Post by LindaM » November 12th, 2004, 3:54 pm

Substitute whole wheat for white processed foods every chance you get. Whole wheat pasta is pretty weird. I dropped pasta completely. No more white rice, only brown and wild rice - and smaller portions. Substitute yams for white potatoes, and watch portion there too. No white bread, even fancy homemade ones. No crackers. Use vegetables for dips. Have an apple instead of that scone! And look for the highest fiber cereal you can find. These simple changes all towards lower glycemic index foods will help keep your blood sugar from spiking after a meal, and reduce hunger pangs a few hours later. These and cutting out cakes, cookies, muffins, and foods with added sugar will make a huge difference. <br><br>Also, I'd suggest adding some protein to your breakfast - smoked salmon or Canadian bacon (much lower in fat than regular pork bacon). <br><br>Don't be afraid to snack more - roasted almonds(no salt or sugar added), whole fruit, celery sticks with natural peanut butter are all good choices. <br><br>I lost 27 pounds in 5 months eating like this and rowing an hour a day at a conversational pace.

[old] balbec

Post by [old] balbec » November 15th, 2004, 5:40 am

Thanks guys, I dont drink tea or coffee so I never really snack on bars and sweets. Lately I've cut crisps out completely (really love them) and I've really cut the beer down. LindaM well done with the weight loss, I'll be next, fingers crossed.<br> <br>I've read that if you want to get maximum benefit from your workout, the right cards in the right quantities is really good as a fuel source for the workout. <br>The harder and better you train, the more reward is my train of thought. I'll just keep training and trying to watch my diet. Im erging about 40mins every night - I'll try and bring it to the hour mark..Lately been trying to get up early and do a bit, but the bed is too cosy on these cold frosty mornings. <br>Thanks again<br>Mike D

[old] albailey

Post by [old] albailey » November 15th, 2004, 8:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-balbec+Nov 15 2004, 04:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (balbec @ Nov 15 2004, 04:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->..Lately been trying to get up early and do a bit, but the bed is too cosy on these cold frosty mornings.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>mike, i know how tough it is to get up early and row, but it's the only time i have available, so<br>i'll tell you my secret: right before bed, i drink a *large* glass of water (16-20oz). when the alarm<br>goes off the next morning, i realize i've *got* to get up, and then once i'm up, i can usually convince<br>myself to throw some shorts on and row... <br><br>good luck - al.