Around the World Row!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » February 7th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Thanks for the input Troy.

I read the Wolverine Plan and quite quickly came to the conclusion that I would be spending quite some time with my head in the tables which is not the way I wanted to go. I'd seen the Pete Plan discussed on the UK forum and since Pete is a 6:21 kind of guy, and he was freely giving his information in an easily used format, I thought I'd give his 07 plan a try.

I too use a HR monitor to keep track of where my HR is during workouts. During January I was regularly doing 60' at 1.57 with less than 150bpm.

Having used the Interactive Weight Loss I looked at the IP for the 2K too. It seemed to start out at a level below where I already was and was focussed on achieving a goal on a date in the future. I'm not being that specific and am just looking for structure without a definite target date.

The PP07 has a mix of 10K+ and intervals which keeps the interest levels up. The Virtual Challenge was hard because I was just doing long rows with little variety and was becoming tired of it by the end. I'd not done more than 240K before January's 354K.

I've made great improvements to my PBs in the longer (5K+) events but the sprints have been more of a problem. I'm sure that this will enable me to make matching improvements in the sprints too. I don't have a figure in mind, just as I didn't have an ultimate weight in mind when I started. I just want to see where I can get to.

I agree that good technique is vital. I had noticed, as had my Chiropractor, that my back was suffering in January. I was slouching. I knew I was doing it and would consciously make the effort to sit more upright: I would try and see something on the table in front of the erg over the PM3 on every stroke! But then I got tired and started slouching again.

I've been erging less than 10 months and have probably achieved way more than I would have imagined at the start. Lets see where this goes.

Cheers

Dave
David Chmilowskyj
M 56 6ft 4in/1.94m 230lb/105kg
Team Oarsome

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » February 8th, 2007, 1:28 am

We are over 54,000,000 meters and less than 2 million meters from completing our around the world row. Great rowin', hosers.

I had to take an unexpected trip recently, so I have not been on the erg as much as usual. Things are back on schedule now but I am still on the road. Linda and I are up at Whistler for a few days.

Rough work, but someone's gotta do it!

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

cynthia
Paddler

Post by cynthia » February 10th, 2007, 2:32 pm

Wow - that looks like a lot more fun than sitting on the erg!

I completed the 10 x 250m for the CTC today and discovered that 10 is a lot of 250m pieces! #5 through 7 were tough but it felt good once it was over and the cool down was a nice reward.

hmm....less than 2million metres to go - what is the current estimate of when we will complete our journey?

Cynthia

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » February 10th, 2007, 8:22 pm

cynthia wrote: hmm....less than 2million metres to go - what is the current estimate of when we will complete our journey?
Cynthia
1,271,465 meters to go as of Feb 10, 07 at 140,000 meters per day = estimated completion in 9 days!

And then we will be off on our coastal row around the world.

We have blasted through the US states of Arkansas, Tennessee and Kentucky. We are currently motoring past Berea, the folk arts capital of Kentucky

I bet they have never seen a boat full of hosers passing through these hills before!

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

ChrisH
500m Poster

Post by ChrisH » February 11th, 2007, 9:56 am

Jim wrote:
1,271,465 meters to go as of Feb 10, 07 at 140,000 meters per day = estimated completion in 9 days!
I'm only 48,759 meters from 1 million meters logged for the Around the World Row. I should be able to make it if everyone stays within the speed limit. Use your cruise control. Speed will be monitored with aircraft.
Chris
MH 54 5'8'' 190lbs.

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » February 12th, 2007, 4:26 pm

We are now rowing through West Virginia, United States of America
Looks like another beautiful place.

I am still "on the road" for another couple of weeks, but the Coastal Row should be ready to go.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » February 16th, 2007, 5:47 pm

7:43.5 That was close Troy. I was hoping not to have to do the CTC again this month :wink:
David Chmilowskyj
M 56 6ft 4in/1.94m 230lb/105kg
Team Oarsome

tinnes
Paddler

Post by tinnes » February 16th, 2007, 7:00 pm

Yup - you got me this month. I hit the wall at #7. At that point I was enjoying a 1:31 avg. The last 3 were killer. Not sure I could have done any better at this point since I'm mainly focusing on long pieces these days and my anaerobic fitness is not that good at the moment (...as I found out the hard way). So hats off to you .... I'll get you next month :wink:
(45) | 1K 3:07.9 | 2K 6:32.3 | 30min 8428 | 10K 36.34.5 | 60min 16,185 | HM 1:19:01.9 | C2 timeless

cynthia
Paddler

Post by cynthia » February 16th, 2007, 7:39 pm

tinnes wrote:.....So hats off to you .... I'll get you next month :wink:
Well, I say hats off to both of you! Troy I think you moved us up 8 places with that workout.

Ben Rea
2k Poster

Post by Ben Rea » February 16th, 2007, 8:38 pm

oh my gosh, i keep coming back here every so often, now to discover you are almost done going around the world, AMAZING, that is a lot of erging! awesome!

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » February 17th, 2007, 12:49 pm

Well done Troy. If we can get one of the fast lwts to row we'll move up again! :wink:

I haven't been on the erg since my CTC trial. I thought I should have gone faster but had nothing left. I guess I really did have nothing left.
I'm going to take a couple more days off to be sure I'm over whatever it is/was, sort of a cold, feverish, generally weak kind of feeling.

Keep up the effort team, I'm still along for the ride. :D

Cheers,
Kirk Nelson [img]http://www.c2forum.com/images/avatars/338518880475195dbd7bd8.jpg[/img]
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1167078175.png[/img]
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » February 17th, 2007, 3:07 pm

Geez Team, we are flying. I am still travelling and I am now in the beautiful city of San Diego. It's "all worK", but the temperature of 23C is a lot more tolerable than Yellowknife's -23C.

I can just barely squeak in a row, it's a good thing they have 24 hour fitness centers down here. I was amazed to see that our Eh!Team boat has flown past Manhattan and we are onto our final leg.

At our current speed we should be finished in the next day or 2. Linda and I are planning a little sojourn across the deserts of Southern California over the next few days.
The sandunes at Kelso

Is it OK with everyone if I commit to have the Coastal Row up and functioning by March 1? That way it will give me a chance to enjoy the desert hikes and it will give all of the members of the Around the World crew to take a little rest.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » February 17th, 2007, 8:34 pm

ulu wrote:I was amazed to see that our Eh!Team boat has flown past Manhattan
As much as I like the Big Apple, I think I am more in the mood to melt into the beaches of San Diego. Too bad it's all business.

Sounds good to me to commit the Coastal row.

(I was sad to hear about the sudden death of Carole McNally. She was quite an inspiration to everyone who knew of her.)

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » February 17th, 2007, 11:13 pm

danwho wrote: As much as I like the Big Apple, I think I am more in the mood to melt into the beaches of San Diego.
Just a side comment here. San Diego also has a very strong rowing tradition. It has two clubs that are each well over one hundred years old and one of them, ZLAC, is exclusively a women's club. I believe that it was founded about 1890 and is still going strong. There are numerous newer clubs, including several college groups. I haven't lived there, but have competed there (both OTW and indoor) on several occasions and have enjoyed the hospitality of the local rowing organizations.

Bob S.

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » February 19th, 2007, 12:10 am

WE DID IT! Congratulations to all of you hosers.
Over one year of rowing by the Eh!Team and over 55 million kilometers, we have made it to c2 headquarters in Morrisville, Vermont.

Linda and I are currently relaxing at the Nipton Inn
Image. A very quiet spot to relax after running up the sand dunes.

I should be able to get the coastal row up soon.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim