Around the World Row!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » January 8th, 2007, 9:42 pm

Ohhhhh nooo. While reading about San Agustín Archeological Park, I stumbled upon http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2441 and I see that a local delicacy is cavy, a native form of guinea pigs, which live wild in the Andes. But since my daughter had two pet guinea pigs, this feels very wrong. I had no idea guinea pigs could even survive in the wild.

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » January 9th, 2007, 1:31 am

Hi Bob S. Don't worry about your remark, it was no big deal and it was nice of you to appologize :) Thanks.

Sisu, you will have to contact Louis-Eric if you need a copy of the e-mail, since he is the one who was in contact with them.

Dan, My daughter has two guinea pigs too! This was educational for me. For some reason I thought they originated in Mongolia. They do seem pretty defenceless. I suppose they must breed like crazy.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » January 9th, 2007, 3:35 am

Wow, Eh! Team, we are all doing extremely well! Our team keeps rowing at an amazing speed, and it doesn't look like we are getting any slower. Au contraire!!! (So don't worry, Dan, I'll throw away that key :lol:) We even moved up 2 places in the (regular) club standings and are now in the top ten of teams!!! But in addition to our great rowing we got help from one new member, who started with the January Challenge with us, but has now also joined the Eh! Team to row around the world with us.

Welcome to Cynthia Drewry!!!

(yes, guys, us women here are getting stronger every day! B) )

Louis-Eric, I think you are doing a great job on motivating people to rowing, who would maybe not row otherwise. You know, even if it's only one person who sticks to it beyond the JVC, your work was worth it!!! And work it is, to contact such a lot of people. I just tried to get in contact with the people of our team, and it took up more time than I thought it would (but haven't regretted it one minute). When I started to row less then 1 year ago, I received a warm welcome from the Eh! Team, even though I didn't bring any meters with me. We all start small ... So all the best to you, Louis-Eric!

Bob, thank you for your apologies. I confess I was a bit bothered by your remark, because we can't all be top athletes, and I didn't know how to respond, and so I'm glad that John did. For some of us, just rowing 15 minutes a day can be more challenging than for an experienced rower to row a marathon. So I'm happy you cleared that up. You are a role model, not only with your rowing, but also for decent behavior in this forum!

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » January 9th, 2007, 9:19 am

Welcome, Cynthia.
I just put in another row and thought I'd see our team standings. I'm beginning to think that Brigitte and Margaret are going to triple my meterage before this month is out. That is amazing.

margaret
500m Poster

Post by margaret » January 9th, 2007, 6:20 pm

:D Yeah! I finally caught up with all the rowing days I missed over the holidays. Now I can go back to rowing 14-15k a day for the rest of January, which is still plenty. Funny how after all those long rows, 14k doesn't seem so long on the one hand, but it's the first few 2k of each row that always seem to take the most effort. Fortunately (I guess) the hard part is getting on the erg. Once I get there staying isn't so hard.

Assuming I get in my regular rows today and tomorrow, tomorrow I will be 70% on my way towards my goal of 1,000,000 meters in 10 weeks. Boy, am I looking forward to finishing this one! I haven't decided what comes next (clean house? read a book? replace my worn out exercise outfit?) but I do have a built-in reward, since we already had a vacation planned then I get a week of walking & hiking instead of erging.

Thanks for keeping those photos coming danwho.
F45, HW
Feel the best I can, Do the most I can, Thank God
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1169360601.png[/img]

Tyn
10k Poster

Post by Tyn » January 9th, 2007, 6:54 pm

Hello Team!!

I like to say hello:

HELLO!

Brigitte invited me to be part of your GREAT team! Many thanks!

I just came back from a trip, so only did 20k! this year!

22 days left, so I hope I make the 250!
Hope we can motivate each other!!

Happy Rowing!!
Tyn

M42H

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well and live."

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

ChrisH
500m Poster

Post by ChrisH » January 9th, 2007, 8:29 pm

HI Tyn,
Welcome! I think your required to row as many meters as your sponsor. Brigitte has a bit of a head start.
:) Chris
MH 54 5'8'' 190lbs.

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » January 9th, 2007, 8:50 pm

Welcome aboard, Tyn.

I know you're a big video fan. Maybe Bridgette can persuade you to create a video celebrating our virtual arrival into Morrisville, Vt. when The Eh Team completes its (first) trip around the world.
(Vermont also is known for its cheese. There's even Vermont Gouda.)

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » January 10th, 2007, 3:22 am

Welcome on board, Tyn!
ChrisH wrote:HI Tyn,
Welcome! I think your required to row as many meters as your sponsor.
Yes, it's the old trick: you think you have been invited to join a party, and when you wake up the next day, you will find, that you have been chained to an oar, and have to live the rest of your days (or at least the rest of January) as a rowing slave :twisted: . But don't worry, Tyn, I use the whip only very rarely, as Dan will confirm (confirm it, Dan, or else ...!!! :twisted: ).

(Oh well, I shouldn't watch those Charlon Heston movies on my long-distance rows ...)

Aaaaand (drums rolling) we have another great rower to help us row around the world:

Welcome, Kit McCandie!

With the meters she brings, she pushes us up to place 9 in the club standings! (I told you, guys, us women are coming on stronger and stronger every day!!! :lol: )

Couldn't row this morning, so I have to figure out how to catch up with Margaret now ... *sigh*.

Happy rowing everyone!

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » January 10th, 2007, 8:07 am

BriK wrote:as Dan will confirm (confirm it, Dan, or else ...!!! :twisted: ).
That's right, that's right. Very rarely.
Do you think I could have that drum job now, Master?

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » January 10th, 2007, 3:38 pm

With the -30 degrees C up here in Yellowknife, my internet has been frozen at the end of the information highway.

Welcome to all of the new members and it's nice to see the progress our Eh!Team boat has been making. We have made it into Columbia and we are making good progress.

As far as the debate goes with regards to Team Canada and the Eh!Team, I think anything that keeps the individual rower motivated is excellent. It would be nice if the gang from Team Canada could join us for our next "Around the World Row". As many of you know, the plan is to follow a coastal route around all the continents.

I have not calculated the distance yet, but it will be a lot. I have plotted a route around the Americas, which we will probably use for our first segment. I will try and figure out the distance so you can get some idea. The more rowers we have, the better.

Everything is set up to point to the Eh!Team C2 team profile, in order to keep track of distances, etc. It would be a bit of a hassle to change this, although not impossible, if we were to join Team Canada.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » January 10th, 2007, 4:15 pm

I was just looking at the Eh!Team Google earth file and I noticed a row posted by Mark Keating!

Welcome back Mark. Mark is one of our orginal rowers from the Cross Canada Row.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » January 10th, 2007, 5:02 pm

ulu wrote:I was just looking at the Eh!Team Google earth file and I noticed a row posted by Mark Keating!

Welcome back Mark. Mark is one of our orginal rowers from the Cross Canada Row.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
It's great to see Mark back Eh? Speaking of "Eh", Mark was the originator of the Eh Team. I wish I could access his original message. It was something about inviting people to join who were from Canada or thought that Canada was a nice place. It went on from there and was quite funny. Welcome back Mark!
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

Tyn
10k Poster

Post by Tyn » January 10th, 2007, 5:13 pm

Q:

I think this one is for Jim!!

I'm rowing for the JVC now for the Eh!team!
Happy doing it!

We're
doing great!! Keep on going team!!

But are my mters going to the overall 'around the world' challenge!!??

Not that important, but just curious!!

Keep on rowing!!

Feel Hap[py!!
Tyn

M42H

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well and live."

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » January 10th, 2007, 5:26 pm

danwho wrote:That's right, that's right. Very rarely.
Good boy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
danwho wrote:Do you think I could have that drum job now, Master?
Mistress, please! ... or wait ... maybe better not ... we don't want this thread to go even more astray ... B)

Quote from here:
Drums play a central role in Garífuna rituals and dances. This is because of their mystical summoning powers. These powers can be traced back to Africa. Drums were used to lure curious natives from their villages onto loaded slave ships. During the long voyage at sea, these drums urged the slaves to row faster and push the fleets forward. Many say that when the drummers dozed off, the rowing stopped. Without this explosive beating, the slaves fell asleep at the oars.
(Sounds somehow familiar, huh?) So you see, Dan, your job as a drummer will be one with lots of responsibility ... :wink:

Jim, -30 degrees C!!! Goodness ... this gives the expression "my computer has frozen up" quite a new meaning. :lol: Here the day was unusually warm and sunny for January: 17 degrees and it feels like spring is here ...

I start to suspect that with all the good rowing, the coastal route row may come sooner than we think ... End of February already maybe? If there is anything I can do to help, Jim, let me know.

Welcome back, Mark Keating!
(as the old saying goes: a rower a day keeps Timbuktu away B) )

Shannon and me are going to have a nice little online row with RowPro tomorrow (Thursday) at 19:00 GMT named "Ladies Row". If any of you women out there (or politely slow men) want to join us, just hop in there.

John, as a Non-Canadian, I'm curious about the (hi)story behind "Eh!" and "Hosers" etc.. Could you enlighten this poor stranger?