poor morning efforts

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
sir-les
Paddler

poor morning efforts

Post by sir-les » January 7th, 2007, 8:10 am

Long time erger, 1st time poster.
Anyone else out there experience really bad results from jumping out of bed and pretty much getting straight into training?
We are in the middle of summer here in Australia and the only good time for me to do ergs is first thing in the morning (due to hot days) I find it really hard to get going in the morning and reckon my efforts on cooler evenings are much better. I know this has probably been covered previously in this forum - can someone please point me in the right direction to overcome or improve this?
Whale...Oil...Beef...Hooked

citiusaltiusfortius9
Paddler

Post by citiusaltiusfortius9 » January 7th, 2007, 9:25 am

as a non-morning person when I have to row in the morning I get up and splash cold water on my face and head first thing, then I listen to loud music and think of something exciting and try to have my mind override my body saying I want more sleep. Also wake up consistently every day if you don't allready. I don't know what else there is to do but I'm sure someone else does.
good luck
sara
-citius altius fortius
faster higher stronger-

hjs
Marathon Poster

Re: poor morning efforts

Post by hjs » January 7th, 2007, 9:32 am

sir-les wrote:Long time erger, 1st time poster.
Anyone else out there experience really bad results from jumping out of bed and pretty much getting straight into training?
We are in the middle of summer here in Australia and the only good time for me to do ergs is first thing in the morning (due to hot days) I find it really hard to get going in the morning and reckon my efforts on cooler evenings are much better. I know this has probably been covered previously in this forum - can someone please point me in the right direction to overcome or improve this?
very normal, you simply need time to wake up propper. To get to 100% you have to be awake for hours..........

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » January 7th, 2007, 11:46 am

It might help to do a faster warm up set instead of just rowing easily.

For example, you could warm up with a moderate set of 10x 60s with 30s rests.

Then go on to your usual rowing, and see how that works for you.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Pete_M
Paddler

Post by Pete_M » January 7th, 2007, 12:05 pm

I know the feeling, I don't mind rowing first thing but rarely do a hard session. The only exercise I've felt comfortable doing first thing, i.e. 5-6am is cycling.

I remember reading an article that said your spine is dehydrated when you wake up, so it's important to rehydrate properly before you do any serious exercise first thing in the morining to avoid injuries... that would explain why I hate running first thing!

I can't find the article anymore, does anyone has any views on that??

flan48
Paddler

Post by flan48 » January 7th, 2007, 12:40 pm

In addition to the above suggestions, I would add that after your warm up, be it easy or somewhat more intense, stretch for a few minutes, especially the calves and hamstrings. The latter especially will help to loosen the lower back and thus get you ready for a more rigorous workout.
Best regards
Barry
65, 5'6",172 Lbs.
Exercise for life!

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » January 7th, 2007, 5:33 pm

I often need to work out in the morning due to schedule with work, family etc. I also get workouts at different times of day, for the same reason. Later in the day generally goes better for me, too. I also notice that my morning workouts tend to suffer if I jump out of bed and directly onto the erg ( with slight warm up). If I spend about 30min to an hour getting hydrated and eating a small, light, predominatly carbohydrate meal about 30min before I workout in the morning I do MUCH better. If I only drink water, and don't eat first, I notice slower rate, and much more rapid fatigue, even on peices I am otherwise well conditioned to perform. Guess my body doesn't have much sense of humor about working on empty. See If a light pre workout snack helps your morning peices.

Pam

sir-les
Paddler

Post by sir-les » January 7th, 2007, 7:23 pm

thanks - some interesting responses there. I find i can't eat any less than an hour before a rigorous workout otherwise get the dreaded repeat where it feels like you might need to bring it back. I can also concur about the spine hydration, my back is always feeling like the slowest part to warm up. I think i will just have to resort to using the morning workout as slow steady metres and save the big efforts for when the body is feeling more up to it. I don't like the idea of getting up any earlier. Its funny though OTW sessions early in the morning don't seem to suffer, may have something to do with the time it takes to crawl out of bed, get to the shed, get the boat on the water and go for a warm up run and then finally get in the boat. Thats probably the answer right there - just do a few other things for 15 mins or so after waking then jump on the machine for a warm up.
Whale...Oil...Beef...Hooked

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » January 8th, 2007, 4:49 pm

I almost always erg in the morning. Usually takes about 30 minutes to get on the erg after tending to the dogs and drinking tea, and doing other things. I never have any food before I row in the morning -- even two weeks ago when I did a 30K. I usaully find I'm a bit faster in the evening but I find a good warmup really helps and just a bit of time to move around. Sometimes I make my lunch get my cloths together and try to do as much as I can before the row rather than after.