Introduce yourself

christinabellag
Paddler

A hello

Post by christinabellag » December 9th, 2006, 2:51 am

Hi ducks,

The name of the group caught my eye... ducks are great, though I have never owned any - something about them makes me laugh (nicely).

Anyway, got myself an erg and just made the first 100k in the challenge. I used to row competitively before injury about 1.5 years ago (life got in the way for awhile) but now I am back and rowing like a mad woman to get back in shape and stay sane.

Thought I'd say haloo. Never used a forum before...

Also, can't join your team as a few of us from the club have started a wee one for the challenge (Christie's challenge team). This is a first! I'm having a blast!

Hello to all!

Christina

shimarella
Paddler

Hello I'm new

Post by shimarella » December 9th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Hi there, I was surfing around trying to get some help with my rowing workouts and found this website, which I should have come to first :oops:

I'm a performance artist: text, bellydance, aerial ( a little fabric mainly) and worker-out-er. I'd like to figure out how to use the Concept rowing machine at the Y better so I can get a good cardio workout ( 30-45 minutes), lose my post-knee-injury weight and find my muscle tone again. The trainers at the Y are more into marathons and cycling; nobody was able to help me with the rowing machine!

I usually swim outdoors but between winter weather and being too lazy to get a new pool suit, I've been looking for something tough to supplement my other cardio (mainly Bodycombat and Bodyjam... which I'm certified to teach)

Anyway, hello all and I look forward to reading this forum for tips!
analyse capitalism
choose revolution
demand chocolate

roastduckmangosalsa
Paddler

Hello

Post by roastduckmangosalsa » December 14th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Season's greetings!! I just got my model D yesterday morning. It was so exciting. I tried it for 5 miutes yesterday and got on for 15 minutes today. It works so well, I am really pleased. A little about me: I have never rowed before but have always wanted to. I have been begging my gym to get some indoor row machines but they never have so I bought my own, early Christmas. Well, it's nice to know that this community is available for questions as I may have some. Nice meeting you all!!

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » December 14th, 2006, 3:21 pm

Hi Roast Duck! Glad to have you! I got introduced to the C2 C model at a local health spa, had always dreamed of rowing too....but what's up with health spas, few and far between do they even promote the rowing programs or have qualified instructors. I find that simply amazing and unthinkable! It's such an ultimate sport and workout...well there's no way I was going to pay those dues and not have a rower (most of them hung on the wall) so for a time I got a group and and instructor but they fizzled out on me... 3 years ago bought my own D and voila! been happy ever since...at home! You just keep up with this forum and you feel like there are friends at your fingertips. Joined DUCKS IN A ROW this fall and really having fun trying to keep up our standings. I've rowed the Holiday Challenge 3 years now and have done better each year. I also have my first million meters on my own erg. Stick with it and you'll be addicted in no time. Welcome aboard! Join Ducks and help us out! Paddle, paddle, paddle in your own little puddle! Some of us in the NW feel like we are gonna have to swim for our lives if it keeps raining like this! Good practice! Love your name...reminds me of that commercial with the cavemen where he orders roastduckmangosalsa.....
See ya! Birdi
You don't have to be the best, all you have to do is keep at it. Pain is only weakness leaving your body. Nahongvita!

Kiwi_Rower
Paddler

Post by Kiwi_Rower » December 14th, 2006, 5:53 pm

Hi Christina, Shimarella and RoastDuck :) Plenty of tips and motivation - like Birdi says, its great to join Ducks In A Row and seeing your miles up there in the bigger picture. I've only got a month under my belt too, so no wisdom to share but look forward to seeing you around the site!
Jane (Movin' Duck in Ducks In A Row) 304,207m
500m 2:03.0 2000m 9:23.9 5000m 23:55.8 6000M 29:17.4 10000m 51:52.5

"Once we know and understand our strengths, we can use them to compensate and correct for our weaknesses" - Gary Shank

rlbhedgehog
Paddler

DIAR newbie - howdy, all

Post by rlbhedgehog » December 15th, 2006, 2:28 pm

I just posted to the DIAR Holiday Challenge section, but thought I'd go ahead and post here as well, to introduce myself. I started on-water rowing back in 1989, or so (at Open Water Rowing in Sausalito, CA). I dropped rowing in favor of horseback riding, for a number of years, but back in 2002 or 2003 (can't remember!), I bought an erg. My rowing, since, has been fitful, at best. As I mentioned in my HC post, though, I decided to use the challenge to kick me into compliance with the aerobic component of my muscle-building/fitness/fat-loss program. So far, so good, I'm pleased to report. :)

I live in Berkeley, CA, and work in San Francisco. The HC has gotten me thinking fondly of on-water rowing again. We'll see what 2007 brings. I remember being out on Richardson Bay, having close encounters with seals (while taking a breather), and watching the pelicans dive. So peaceful and so restorative!

I'll sign off now. Happy rowing to all!
rlb

lzcait
Paddler

Back to Rowing!

Post by lzcait » December 31st, 2006, 9:32 pm

Just found this site while looking at the Rows as One site! And the gym where I work out has added ergs! Finally! I compete in endurance kayak races...finished a 100 mile one Labor Day weekend and cannot wait to do it again in 2007. I train 3 days a week with a trainer (who happens to be my kayaking partner) and will get back to cardio/rowing/kayaking 3 days a week by the end of February. Was diagnosed with very early stage breast cancer in October and have just completed all my radiation. I kept up with my strength training sessions, but will just be getting back to hard cardio workouts in a couple of weeks. And I cannot wait. So finding all of you is a great New Year's gift!
"Impossible is not a definite...it is a dare!"

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » January 1st, 2007, 3:21 pm

Hi lzcait, Amazing kayaking! Is Rows as One the rowing group for cancer survivors? If so, my mother also rows with one of their groups. She is a 21 (and counting) year survivor of breast cancer. I hope and pray that your recovery is equally successful.
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

lzcait
Paddler

Post by lzcait » January 1st, 2007, 7:01 pm

Hi Schenley...thanks for the welcome. Yes, Rows as One is the sculling group for bc survivors. Awesome about your Mom! Wish I lived closer to the group...I love to scull, but it's difficult in the rough waters down here on the Texas coast...so I kayak and also row and coach with a dragon boat team. Cannot wait to get to the erg in the gym...my trainer is insisting on another week to let the radiation burns heal. GRRRRRR. I am soooo ready!!!! My bc outlook is extremely good...this was caught incredibly early so I have many more endurance races and lots more erging ahead!

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » January 1st, 2007, 7:07 pm

Hang in there! There has to be something you can do for one more week. Heaven knows, there always a million and one things on my to do list. :lol:

My mother is in an 8. This season they had enough people to add a second boat. For now they are off the water (in Connecticut) and on the ergs. She's training for CRASH-Bs.
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

ciproano
Paddler

Intro and hello Ducks!

Post by ciproano » January 1st, 2007, 9:56 pm

I came to forums looking for a virtual team to join...sounds like it's open season for Ducks so I'll follow the instructions given and try to join up.

Intro: I'm 56 and I've been erging off and on for more years than I'd like to admit. I met my first erg at a health club around 1985. One of the trainers was a rower, so I got some good instruction. I got my husband an erg in the early 90's as a fathers day gift. Health problems prevented his continued use, but I would erg off and on mixed in with treadmill, lifecycle, swimming and whatever else turned me on enough to exercise. I discovered the Holiday Challenge a long time back (not sure when it started), and almost every year I've tried to participate. I took 2002 off because I was recovering from neck surgery, but I was back in 2003.

This year I didn't erg much but decided back in October that I'd do the HC, as I really needed to kick start my exercise program. Now I can't stop! I've been keeping at a 10k/day pace and it feels wonderful. However, holiday break is over and back to work tomorrow, so I need a new challenge to keep me inspired to fit erging into my schedule. So back to opening line: looking for a virtual team to keep me going through January.

I have sons 12 & 14. My husband is a fitness fanatic in spite of arthritis and other problems; he swims for cardio.

I live in upstate New York, suburban Rochester, where the ski season has forgotten to arrive this year, much to the chagrin of my skiing sons. This area has great opportunities for hiking and paddling.

I am a fanatic about audio books...on tape, on CD, on mp3. Like another poster, I love to listen to Harry Potter while erging. I have listened to all six books so many times, you'd think I'd have memorized them by now. I listen to other wonderful books in the car, while I'm working around the house, while I'm knitting, but Harry just seems to work for erging!

I look forward to getting to know the Duck group soon and contribute my meterage to your January efforts.

Cindy (searching for a Duckie name)
It is our choices that show what we truly are, Harrry, far more than our abilities. (from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J.K. Rowling)

Wood_Duck
1k Poster

Post by Wood_Duck » January 2nd, 2007, 8:12 am

I am hooked on audio books too! I hadn't had time to read once my daughter was born. A few years later I found myself having to commute on 2.5 hour round trip. I found unabridged CDs and listened to a novel or two a week!

Fortunately, the log commute is over but the addiction to audio books continues. Do you ever download from audible.com? I have even figured out how to put the books on CD onto my ipod so that I don't have to stop and change disks in the middle of a rowing session.

PM me and I will get you added to the team!

Susan
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
1st row 11/23/04; 1 MM 3/20/06; 2 MM 6/9/07; 3 MM 5/15/08; 1st 2k: 1/28/07 (9:04.2); 1st MARATHON! 4/19/06 (4:42:42.9)

lzcait
Paddler

Waiting to Row Impatiently!

Post by lzcait » January 2nd, 2007, 11:48 am

Hi Schenley...yes, a week will go by fast...and in the meantime, I will have the cleanest closets in the state of Texas! I'm hoping to get some sculling in when we go up to Austin the end of January...water is much calmer on their lakes than ours along the coast. Love sculling, but on Galveston Bay, it's more like holding on for dear life than rowing! Kayaks take the wind, wave and boat wake much better.

Keep on rowing!
Paddler

Post by Keep on rowing! » January 3rd, 2007, 12:38 pm

Good Morning everyone! Hope you are all off to a great start! This is my first posting. I just joined DIAR in Dec. I also just completed my first HC! I hope to get my million by the end of the season. I must say I was inspired to join from reading your comments and inspiration you all give to each other, what a great group of women! I am trying to join JVC for the JC, so hopefully I will be aboard with you all!
I have 3 kids,':lol:' 13, 6 & 4 who keep me busy. I am mostly a stay at home mom. We are out in not so sunny Northern California. My husband has a crazy schedule, so I row at different times. Usually my little guy sits with me and watches a movie while I row or I wait until he is at preschool. I never thought about audio books, so I will give it a try. Well must run for now, hope you all have a great day & look forward to talking more to you.
Keep on rowing!!!!!!!!!!!!

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » January 3rd, 2007, 1:33 pm

Hi Keep On,

Where in northern California? My grandfather had a small gold mine in Lewiston, and grandma taught in the one-room schoolhouse. Lewiston was snowed in every winter for 3-5 months with no doctor. Grandpa wasa famous fisherman there, back beforethe Trinity River was dammed.

Its beautiful country in the mountains for sure.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity