I feel like a Mac User after installing Vista

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
brianric
500m Poster

I feel like a Mac User after installing Vista

Post by brianric » December 24th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Bought a new PC last November, and had to buy the card reader for the log card because my new PC couldn’t handle the 20 ft of USB cable to the PC from the PM3. Worked fine until yesterday, when I installed Vista Ultimate. I was able to get the Vista drivers for the card reader, but RowPro will not install.

To you Mac users , brianric feels your pain. :P

c2scott
2k Poster

Post by c2scott » December 27th, 2006, 5:24 pm

Concept2 has not even started working on Vista.
Vista employs many restrictions on programming technique, installation processes, etc. It will be somewhat of a challenge to rewrite the LogCard utility, firmware update, and the SDK for Vista. I can confidently say that on Vista's release date of January 30, Concept2 applications will not run on Windows Vista.

I know DigitalRowing (RowPro, Concept2 Logbook) will be working on it as well; I cannot speak for DigitalRowing, but I would guess that it will not be ready either. If this is of interest, you may wish to follow this thread on DigitalRowing's web site: http://www.digitalrowing.com/forums/For ... read_id=66[/url]

-- Scott

brianric
500m Poster

Post by brianric » December 27th, 2006, 5:58 pm

The Vista drivers for the CardMan 3121 reader are available. I can tell you with 100% certainity that Concept 2 applications will not run on Windows Vista, and willing to bet it will be a year or more before C2 and RowPro gets their act together in supporting Vista. Pity, because every other piece of hard ware I have works, such as Garmin 205 watch, 2610 GPS, three year old color laser printer, two year old scanner and color injet printer, and my Blackberry

brianric
500m Poster

Post by brianric » December 27th, 2006, 6:05 pm

BTW, the link will not load up in eith FireFox or IE 7.

ehagberg
1k Poster

Post by ehagberg » December 27th, 2006, 6:19 pm

brianric wrote:BTW, the link will not load up in eith FireFox or IE 7.
http://www.digitalrowing.com/forums/For ... read_id=66

brianric
500m Poster

Post by brianric » December 27th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Thanks.

c2scott
2k Poster

Post by c2scott » December 28th, 2006, 1:34 pm

brianric wrote:The Vista drivers for the CardMan 3121 reader are available. I can tell you with 100% certainity that Concept 2 applications will not run on Windows Vista, and willing to bet it will be a year or more before C2 and RowPro gets their act together in supporting Vista. Pity, because every other piece of hard ware I have works, such as Garmin 205 watch, 2610 GPS, three year old color laser printer, two year old scanner and color injet printer, and my Blackberry
I'll take that bet. Well, ok, only the part about C2 applications; I cannot speak for RowPro (and therefore the LogBook program)...

brianric
500m Poster

Post by brianric » December 28th, 2006, 3:30 pm

c2scott wrote:
brianric wrote:The Vista drivers for the CardMan 3121 reader are available. I can tell you with 100% certainity that Concept 2 applications will not run on Windows Vista, and willing to bet it will be a year or more before C2 and RowPro gets their act together in supporting Vista. Pity, because every other piece of hard ware I have works, such as Garmin 205 watch, 2610 GPS, three year old color laser printer, two year old scanner and color injet printer, and my Blackberry
I'll take that bet. Well, ok, only the part about C2 applications; I cannot speak for RowPro (and therefore the LogBook program)...
The LogBook was a C2 app, and to be thruthful, that is the only one I'm interested in.

c2scott
2k Poster

Post by c2scott » December 28th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Brianric:

The LogBook is written by DigitalRowing for Concept2. At one time it was a separate application, but all current versions are just a free limited window into RowPro's Logbook database. Vista compatibility will come when DigitalRowing makes RowPro compatible with Vista. We will of course be encouraging this migration.

-- Scott

ehagberg
1k Poster

Maybe it's not time to switch to Vista yet

Post by ehagberg » December 29th, 2006, 11:56 am

http://security.itworld.com/4940/061227 ... age_1.html

Looks like it's not just fringe applications like RowPro and the LogBook that aren't yet compatible with Vista.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » December 29th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Based on the history of XP, won't it be a long time before Vista is working adequately.

For the time being, it seems that XP does as well as any microsoft OS, or am I missing some reason to use Vista?

c2scott
2k Poster

Post by c2scott » December 29th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Not really. I think Corporate folks will be using XP for a while, until Vista is proven and/or they start replacing/refreshing computers, or there is a compelling feature that is needed. On the other hand, new computers from Dell, etc. for the home market will start to come through with Vista, and home users will likely pick the 'latest'. Most of the PC and Erg users are home users, so this is the biggest issue I will face... 'hey, I just bought a new PC with with Vista and a new Erg and I cannot use the computer software with it!'

macterrell
Paddler

Post by macterrell » January 9th, 2007, 2:05 am

My company is still using workstations running Windows 2000 or Windows XP, and we will continue to use them until those flavors of the Windows OS can no longer be supported. At that point, we will switch to Linux. We are already running Linux and Open Office pilot projects in certain departments, and we are impressed with the results. It's going to save us a LOT of money in the long run; no more vicious upgrade cycle, better security, and better reliability.

I think a lot of corporate environments are experimenting with open source solutions or thinking of doing so. When a critical mass of companies begin using Linux, it will be come more commonplace in people's homes. People tend to use at home what they're accustomed to using at work.

brianric
500m Poster

Post by brianric » January 31st, 2007, 5:36 pm

c2scott wrote:Concept2 has not even started working on Vista.
Vista employs many restrictions on programming technique, installation processes, etc. It will be somewhat of a challenge to rewrite the LogCard utility, firmware update, and the SDK for Vista. I can confidently say that on Vista's release date of January 30, Concept2 applications will not run on Windows Vista.

I know DigitalRowing (RowPro, Concept2 Logbook) will be working on it as well; I cannot speak for DigitalRowing, but I would guess that it will not be ready either. If this is of interest, you may wish to follow this thread on DigitalRowing's web site: http://www.digitalrowing.com/forums/For ... read_id=66[/url]

-- Scott
You are right. Vista may be imposing many restrictions, but I'm willing to bet C2 and RowPro were not exactly following protocol for XP. Microsoft didn't enforce it the rules for XP but are doing it for Vista. I sometimes wonder if C2 got in over their heads when they came out with the PM3.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » January 31st, 2007, 5:44 pm

c2scott wrote:It will be somewhat of a challenge to rewrite the LogCard utility, firmware update, and the SDK for Vista.
Why not build them on something like Eclipse, that way you'll gain the benefit of running Mac and/or Linux without having to re-engineer things.

Yes I know that's Java, but we've got bucket loads of MIPS available on our PCs and Laptops.