tingling in chest after long row

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
jfaction
Paddler

tingling in chest after long row

Post by jfaction » November 28th, 2006, 8:55 pm

First - I've had a stress test & cholesterol test within the past year and everything was normal.

I just finished a 45 minute piece, which was not too stressful - it included varying levels of intensity, a 2000 good hard piece and a few short pyramids but also enough steady state 80% strokes that I didn't feel like I was bursting.

About 20 minutes later I have felt some tingling across my chest, like 2-3 fingers spreading from center toward each side. It lasted just a few minutes and hasn't returned. I haven't felt nauseated or short of breath or anything out of the ordinary.

I erg every day, between 15-45 minutes, and lift weights on a regular basis, am not overweight, but after a few pregnancies I do get acid reflux occasionally. The reason I had the recent stress test was after feeling a chest pain while erging, but they found nothing. I think that first time some general anxiety just prior to getting on the erg contributed to it.

So I don't think there's anything dangerous happening (not that the stress test has been able to find, anyway) for which I should get medical advice, but wondered if any here had experienced this tingling.

Thanks,
Shannon

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » November 28th, 2006, 10:32 pm

80 percent of the world's population has a total cholesterol reading below 150. Normal cholesterol for an american is 225 plus. If your cholesterol is higher than 150 then you are at higher risk of death from heart disease. According to some reports, for every 10 points higher, there is a 4-fold greater risk of death from heart disease.

I consider caffeine to be extremely dangerous. People can ingest caffeine for a long time and think it is okay and then whammo. Or it can cause instant death. Caffeine causes arrythmias, heart attacks, strokes, hardening of the arteries, raises blood pressure, wears out the adrenals, and throws thyroid hormones out of whack. If you want to get rid of gophers, drop a chocolate laxative down it's burrow. It is the caffeine and theobromine in the chocolate that is fatal to mammals. Be sure to cover the holes, as the chocolate is also fatal to dogs and cats. So take care to ensure they can't get it.

People are larger so it takes more of the caffeine and theobromine to be fatal but it works in the same manner. How many people have you heard of dying from ingestion of them though? Strange isn't it. Rather than anything else, the medical quacks will try to tell you these things are safe, and then sell you more of their bogus "medications". After all, it's all your head. Not that they care what happens to you. They don't, as long as they end up with your money, your car and your house.

Aspartame and msg are implicated in numerous reports of sudden cardiac death, as are related compounds like splenda. If you have any of these in your house I'd get rid of them. I never buy or eat anything, unless I know exactly what is in it and it's healthy. Beware that many foods do NOT list everything on the labels, and they might have these toxic substances in them although they are not listed.

http://www.wnho.net/scdandaspartame.htm

http://aspartamekills.com/

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2 ... ducers.htm

Beware also of trans fats. These are usually man made fats that are solid at room temperature and don't break down easily once eaten. They can clog your system very quickly and it is hard to get rid of them. Trans fats are lard and hydrogenated oils. If you have anything in your cupboard with these then I'd toss them away. Fast food restaurants are notorious for loading up their food with trans fats. This is designed to increase the shelf life of foods and to increase addictions on the part of the people who eat them.

http://www.bantransfats.com/
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » November 29th, 2006, 12:04 am

Shannon, I haven't had tingling in my chest, but I know that I need to be careful to stretch my pectoralis muscles before and after I row on the erg. The pectoralis "pecs" are large flat muscles across the front of your chest, just beneath your breasts. They go from the sternum in the center of your chest toward your shoulders. I stand near a door way, facing away from the door jam, hold on with my hand, arm straight and partially behind me then rotate my body away from my arm until I feel a gentle stetch across the front of my chest. I don't know if this will help, but it may be worth a try.

Pam

masonje
Paddler

Post by masonje » November 29th, 2006, 4:44 pm

You don't mention your age or if you have a family history of coronary artery disease. Keep in mind that a normal cholesterol panel and a negative stress test does not completely exclude the possibility of coronary disease. In addition, women can have "atypical chest pain" when it comes to symptomatic coronary disease. In all likelihood, you have nothing to worry about but two of my rowing teammates dropped dead during rowing-and they had negative stress tests (they were males age 53 and 68).

When it comes to chest discomfort during exercise, play it safe. Let your physician know and take it from there (I'm sure he/she would like your house, car, lawn ornaments, etc as Rupp cautions so beware :P ).

In all seriousness, chest discomfort during exercise should not be ignored. Good luck.
John E Mason
41, HWT

jfaction
Paddler

Post by jfaction » November 29th, 2006, 5:08 pm

John M, I did have a handful of dark chocolate covered almonds before rowing. I don't think there's a lot of caffeine in there but I'll be more careful.

Thanks Pam, I'll try the chest stretches.

John R, Thanks for the caution. I'm 39 and have a clean family history. I do recall now that women can be asymptomatic. I'll check with my doctor. I hate the thought of having to stop rowing, especially having to stop each time I feel a pain, but I guess it's best to have it checked out.

Shannon

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » December 27th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Ask/demand a radiographic chest scan with exercise. You can do very well on a stress test if fit, and have terrible arteries. I had pain last summer, the doctor did this, and ordered an angiogram. They did one, and put in a stent. I went home and had a minor heart attack the next night and they did another stent that morning.

I had stress tests in 2001, and 2005, and it showed fine. Chest pain at the doctors office, and negative EKG, December 2005. EKG shows electricla problems or damage.

Then an emergency bypass in January 2006. Sounds more like you could have a partial constriction of arteries that then relax.

If you have a very low fat diet, its less likely. Very fit people have great cardiac circulation, but it can mask other problems.
Do your warm-ups, and cooldown, its not for you, its for your heart ! Live long, and row forever !
( C2 model A 1986 )

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » December 27th, 2006, 12:29 pm

John Rupp wrote:Or it can cause instant death.
Sure, if someone smacks you upside the head with a full coffee pot, or you trip over a bag of beans and tumble headlong down the basement stairs.

Happily, here in the fact-based world, caffeine is not only a benign stimulant, it's beneficial. The best delivery system, brewed coffee, is extremely high in antioxidants, and has been shown to strengthen immune response, improve glucose levels in diabetics, and reduce risk of gallstones, liver cirrhosis, Parkinson's Disease (in which case it's the caffeine, specifically, that does the job), and certain cancers. Mmmmmm, Costa Rican.

tm3
Paddler

Post by tm3 » December 27th, 2006, 4:33 pm

i believe it was a misprint.

he meant, "COCAINE can cause instant death."

or, "caffeine can cause INFANT death." which is why willie and waylon sang, "mommas don't let your babies grow up to drink coffee." :D

as far as the op, shannon the best advice is to be very careful about something as serious as medical information that you get from a forum on the internet.

having said that, your being young with a normal stress test and negative family history decreases the likelihood that your chest symptoms are cardiovascular in origin. however, women notoriously have cardiac ischemia symptoms that are atypical (e.g., not always crushing chest pain radiating into the jaw and down the left arm).

if i were you, i'd talk to my doctor.

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » December 27th, 2006, 5:27 pm

I had a weird tingle near my sternum, the week before the severe angina started. My doctor said it was nothing, EKG showed nothing, go enjoy my vacation. I even had 5 minutes of pain in his office. That was 12/22/2005.

01/13/2006 I was operated on, a triple bypass. The doctors said it was a miracle I made it back from Central America not in a box.

See a cardiologist.
Do your warm-ups, and cooldown, its not for you, its for your heart ! Live long, and row forever !
( C2 model A 1986 )

jfaction
Paddler

Post by jfaction » December 27th, 2006, 5:50 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies. I did go in for an EKG and had chest pain during it, and it was negative, and I have my cholesterol and other blood tests scheduled for next week.

What I felt while rowing wasn't painful but a strang icy tingling. I have had chest pain sometimes, when I get angry or anxious, lasting for a minute or less. However, one day last week while I was driving I did feel a pain right over my sternum and it felt like a knife. I have been reluctant to pursue it since the EKG and stress test were normal and my doctor assured me it was nothing to be concerned with. However I'll definitely go for the additional test mentioned here.

I am not overweight, however I don't eat a low-fat diet. I eat pretty healthily and don't eat fast food, but enjoy treats now and then.

Thanks,
Shannon

jfaction
Paddler

Post by jfaction » December 27th, 2006, 6:32 pm

LJ, do you have any family history of cardiac disease?

I am 39 with no family history. However, I plan to get a second opinion and the chest scan, and possibly switch doctors entirely.

I've had no other chest pain while rowing (this tingling was after rowing), even when pushing myself hard. It seems to happen most often when I am very stressed. I'm also checking out reflux as a cause; I have experienced reflux pain and had bodywork done which eliminated it, so I feel that may be a factor too. It would definitely be preferable!

thanks again
Shannon

Ducatista
2k Poster

Post by Ducatista » December 27th, 2006, 7:55 pm

tm3 wrote:he meant, "COCAINE can cause instant death."

or, "caffeine can cause INFANT death." which is why willie and waylon sang, "mommas don't let your babies grow up to drink coffee." :D
Ha! Now I have that song stuck in my head. As a kid I was told caffeine would stunt my growth. I suppose that's why I'm only an inch past the 99th height percentile, eh?

Sorry for the hijack, Shannon, and best of luck tracking down the source of your symptoms.

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » December 27th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Shannon:

Stress does cause constriction of cardiac arteries.

I do have cardiac history is the family. Pa, and Grandpa had hearts attacks at 57. But Grandpa smoked 5 packs a day. My dad smoked for a few years.

Read over the mitral valve forum entry. I go over a lot of stuff in that one. I'm tall, slim, athletic, but diet included ice cream, peanut butter, loads of crackers. Lots of nuts. No such thing as a good oil. For you, no more nuts. Look up the Dean Ornish Reversal diet.

Olive oil has triple the saturated fat of canola. Olive is low, canola a lot lower.

You have something going on. You need the scan or an angiogram. My pain was so bad, I enjoyed having the bypass.
( C2 model A 1986 )

jfaction
Paddler

Post by jfaction » January 13th, 2007, 5:18 am

I saw a cardiologist this week (after getting my bloodwork done, which looked fine, including the CRP). He feels, based on my exam, history, risk factors, etc., that the pains are due to GERD (reflux). I have recently noticed reflux (I've had 4 pregnancies so am not surprised). He wants me to take a acid-blocker for 4 weeks and track any chest pains, then see him again. He said GERD can cause chest pain upon emotional stress because the acid flares up.

He felt that there was a low probability of coronary problems because I did so well in the stress test (went for 10 minutes and stopped just because my knees can't take the running). He said if there was a buildup causing chest pain, it would have been evident during 10 minutes of stress test exertion (as well as during the rowing pieces).

Thanks for all of the input, I'm still keeping an eye on things - don't want to drop dead! - but the GERD is not a huge surprise.

Shannon

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » January 13th, 2007, 10:13 am

Shannon--

To address the adic reflux, did the doc suggest any dietary changes or simply prescribe?

Tom