Holiday Challenge 2006!

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » November 28th, 2006, 11:29 pm

I agree the forum has been a bit quiet. I havent been using my erg too much this summer as I moved into the house we've been building, started a new job and learned to row on water-----all in July! The erg has been fantastic at preparing this duck to take to the water. It is a great team sport with alot of great comerodarie. I rowed my first ragetta, the head of the Oklahoma at the end of september, my woman's eight taking gold in the first ever sanctioned night races in america's history. On November 11 my octuple won gold at the National marathon rowing championships in Louisiana, coming in 5th of 103 boats overall. All that practice hasn't left much time for the erg! I am now back on the erg thanks to both the winter season and holiday challenge. I have about 60k so far. I have both of my children involved, as well, Theresa, 8yr with 14k and Alex, 6yr with 10k. we'll see how they do! Guess we'll be getting the cold weather tomorrow, so looking good for more erging! Keep up the good work ducks!

Pam

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » November 29th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Hi widgeon and all,

Welcome back to the 'off season' for rowers. I'm hoping my acl repair job will make it possible to try on the water stuff. Before, I could row, but not carry the shell. What a first season you had!!

The cold is fun until something breaks... And we are breaking weather records for sure. Today the furnace doesn't run, it just cycles through and quits.

Not to worry, I've got my erging and my chicken soup and layers of silk and polarfleece to keep me warm. Another storm is coming in tonight. The good news is that the temperature will go up to 32.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » November 30th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Todays 30 min session = 5633 meters. Good. The erginging is getting a bit easier now. It always takes me 3 weeks after some time off before I feel as though I'm suffering less.

Here's to taking a little time for ourselves, albeit in a kind of masochistic way.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » November 30th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Well, the cold weather arrived! We have blizzard conditions now following a night of freezing rain and sleet last night. The facility where I work was closed today except for "essential" personell....unfortunately I am considered essential personel. The drive in wasn't as bad as the drive back, with the blizzard ramping up. Quite slick in spots. The slick driving isn't so bad, I grew up in Colorado, so I am used to being on snow.....It is the driving on the road with all the people who haven't learned to drive on snow that creates the real hazzard! Still got off early today, played in the blizzard with my kids, and put in a nice hour long erg workout in front of the fire. ahhhh. There is just something wonderful about hearth and home when the weather is raging. Well, come on ducks lets get a little chit-chat going. We've all been too quiet for too long! Keep us updated on your progress for the challange!

Good work on the getting back with the erg Grams, I am the same, it always takes a few weeks to feel like I am in the groove again after I've been off the erg for a while.

Pam

Kiwi_Rower
Paddler

Post by Kiwi_Rower » December 1st, 2006, 10:17 am

I've started out slowly on the challenge since I'm new to this and had only done two other tiny rows early in November. Do you all think its ok to row every day or should I take some days off and then do a morning and afternoon row on other days to make up for it?

Dino Duck - who says there isnt a 150k challenge? Make your own certificate or buy something cool for yourself if you make it to 150, doesn't have to be official to set a goal and feel good about achieving it :P

I had a pre-thanksgiving vacation in San Diego to visit some friends, and on the 20th Nov it was 88 degrees! The cold weather hasn't hit us in NYC yet, I'm hoping it will snow here soon too :lol:

dinodi
Paddler

Thanks Kiwi Rower!

Post by dinodi » December 1st, 2006, 4:59 pm

Hey, you are correct--who says that I can't make my own 150k certificate??

I'm entering December with 50 k under my belt so I'm now aiming for 175k. We'll see. I decided that I needed to work on my technique so I hired a local trainer to help me. Pivot at the hips he said. I did and couldn't walk for two days. So--I need to come up with another plan...or trainer!!

Dino Duck

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » December 1st, 2006, 5:13 pm

I could do an official 'unofficial' ducks shirt/mug/whatever on Zazzle for folks to add their own bragging text.

I considered the slogan 'Low and slow' (low resistance and slow pace) for a shirt. It is a bit of a double entendre though.

grams

12/2 update 30 minutes = 5836meters I'm in a grouchy mood-so I took it out on the erg. Poor erg.
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"

fish
1k Poster

Post by fish » December 2nd, 2006, 6:47 pm

I did a 30 minute piece today with Supercanoa and rowed a PB of 7354 meters.

My HC meters are at 118,565.

I hope you all are achieving your goals during the Holiday Challange. My new goal is to eat more vegetables.

Arlene

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » December 2nd, 2006, 7:25 pm

Hi All,

I'm finally back on board. I tried to get going earlier in the fall. That lasted for about a month, and then fizzled. I'm not really sure why. Realistically, there's no way I'll do 100K during the HC. I've never done that in my best months, so to try now would be asking for injury. I may go for the Kiddie version - 50K.

I've been lurking, but it's good to be back. I hope I can keep it up. Maybe I'll even finally reach LWT status. It's not that far away.

Schenley
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » December 2nd, 2006, 9:11 pm

Wow Fish! That's super! Wish I could row that fast! Way to go on hitting a new PB. I feel like a turtle! I haven't been regular enough lately to be trained up for the HC but am now hitting a stride I can handle and be on schedule to hopefully exceed the 200k at least beat my last year's 200+ I just got in my first 10k day today, but I didn't start the HC until Monday. I've only got 50k to show for my 6 days but this turtle is determined. :wink: Birdi

snappyrower
Paddler

Post by snappyrower » December 3rd, 2006, 1:36 am

Been out of comission for a few days. Lots of catching up to do, starting tomorrow (Sunday) morning. I started with a UTI, then sinus infection, then mini (2-3 hour) stomach bug, finished it off with the mother of all migraines yesterday afternoon. Got my auras, my headache, and then blindness in one eye. Been ultra exhausted today, so after work I rested. :( I hope I can catch up, I really want this challenge!

John Hendrie
1k Poster

Post by John Hendrie » December 3rd, 2006, 9:05 am

Hit 100k yesterday (Saturday) and have missed 2 days of the first 10 so am on a pace to easily hit the 200k. 300k is not beyond the realm of possibility

john
Proud member of the Ancient Mariners.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
You grow old because you stop laughing!!!

Completed circumnavigation of the globe 26 November 2011

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » December 3rd, 2006, 10:21 am

Snappy, just a thought went thru my head when you mentioned migraines...one; I feel for you, hope you feel better all the way around! The other is I suffered for years with them, even from early teens and that's when they found I had high blood pressure, yep even as a fit teen, started BP meds and never have had another. Same for a friend of mine, fit as can be but had headaches, BP meds and voila! Not a cure for all but...just in case. Just feeling bad for ya....Birdi

snappyrower
Paddler

Post by snappyrower » December 3rd, 2006, 12:36 pm

Thanks Birdi. I am planning on going to the doc for a full workup soon. I've gotten auras before, but the temp blindness only 1x, and it freaks me out. I don't have headache meds, and figure i should get a prescrip for them. Always good to check the BP and all. Rough week at work may have affected that I guess.

Hapa
Paddler

Post by Hapa » December 4th, 2006, 2:53 am

Good job for all of you on track for the HC, and for those of you who are using this to get back onto the erg for your own personal challenge! I'm just over 56 K as of Sunday, so I'm on track so far. Just a little bit behind the average, but compared to how I was doing last year...

On the erg, I need to remember to warm up really well, I keep having this one hot spot on the lower right back that gets really sore. I'm wondering if I need to work on my abs also since I haven't really been doing any sit-ups or crunches for quite awhile.

Eating, I need to break out of this slump I've been in where all of the cafeteria goodies have been tempting me. I found a great frittata recipe that I've been eating for breakfast. I cut some cals by doing a mix of real eggs and egg beaters, but it also has gorganzola cheese and carmelized onions. But, it keeps me from snacking until lunch, and gets me protein in the morning. I need to cut back on the lattes also, since that's about 200 cals that I don't really need.

Well, keep it up everyone!

Aiko