Introduce yourself

snappyrower
Paddler

Post by snappyrower » November 27th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Might as well reintroduce myself, since we're all getting active again. I'm a 29 y.o. in North Carolina (just down the road from Brightstar99 -W-S Tangela!). Rowed in college, and got exposed to the erg back then when we couldn't get on the water. Missed it for years, and 2 years ago bought a Concept 2 - D. love it. Been a bit slack this past year while transitioning with job, and housing. Am trying to use the Holiday Challenge to motivate me. I'm a member of Ducks In a Row..... you'll find me in the bottom quarter of the list. :)

dixiedd
Paddler

introducing myself

Post by dixiedd » November 27th, 2006, 11:17 pm

Well might as well try it. Who knows it might be just the thing to get me on my rower after all. The rower has been a huge hit with the kids who come to visit. They think the fish game is pretty cool and are getting real good at it. Me on the other hand... don't have a clue what is holding me back. So I figure the challenge might be the ticket. I don't think I'll meet the goal of rowing 100,000 meters so I'm going to change it and have a challenge for one. To row every other day for the first week. The 2nd week till Dec 24th row every day. Even if it's for a few minutes.

Now then...I'm 49, 80lbs overweight. I'm married for 32 years to my husband. We have 3 sons, 30, 27 & 23. A DNL 26 and 2 dogs. No grandchildren and currently none in the oven. Although we have hinted. I work as an admin assistant for a pet food company.

I bought my rower back in March. So far it just sits there waiting patiently for me to begin. My father suffered from Parkinson's disease and passed away June 2005. My mother had a quadruple bypass Dec 26th. She's had 2 stents in Mar of this year and 2 more stents in September. I can see myself down the road when I look at my mother if I don't do something now. I don't like the way I look or the way I feel. I can choose to sit on the sidelines or get up and be a participant.

I'm getting up!
Dixie
Southern Indiana
USA

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » November 28th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Welcome Dixie! The toughest part is the getting started part, this is a good time to strart! Keep the resistance light, 2 or 3, and don't do any more than 5 to 10 minutes at a comfortable, slow pace the first couple of days, give your body a chance to adjust so you don't feel too wiped out or get too sore! I still go back to low, slow and short if I lapse from my erging for a couple of weeks. It helps me get back into slowly building back up without injury, and with enthusiasm. Too much too fast and I get tired and cranky! Keep us posted on how you're doing, and holler if you have any questions. All the best.

Pam

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » November 29th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Low and slow is the way to go.

A hint for us 'softies'. If you develop a bit of chafing under teh arms (or anywhere else) try using some of the glide stuff that cyclists use. It makes a big difference.

Oh yeah, and the bubble wrap or gel seat cover on the seat to minimize sore spots on your tailbone.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

Kiwi_Rower
Paddler

Post by Kiwi_Rower » November 30th, 2006, 9:35 am

Hi everyone,

I'm Jane and I'm from New Zealand but currently living in NYC. I'm 36 and was having trouble with irregular heartbeat and low blood pressure so my Doc prescribed gatorade and the gym - and no more cokes! :shock: I admit I was becoming rather a sloth (my GF had breast cancer so it had been a stressful year) so decided to start the million metres club. My inspiration for that was a friend back home who decided in her 70s she wanted to do something with her life and started the million metres. She also took a skydiving jump! Sadly, she had to give up rowing because she is now in a home, so I figured I'd like to do the million metres and then send her the pin. I've started with the 100k holiday challenge so doing about 13-16 mins a day until I can get my endurance up for some longer distances. Hit 3300m yesterday for the first time, it's nice to see some progress after just a week. I'm using the concept2 at my local gym, nobody else seems to use it :)

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » November 30th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Hi kiwirower,

I've never beeen to NZ, however we spent 2 months in Oz-where the sun and stars are in the wrong places in the sky. Beautiful place. People tell me NZ is like our Pacific Northewst, with its snow-capped peaks and green countryside and sailing.

Gym ergs-I use them a lot when we travel. Remember to always put the resistance control lever down to betweem 2 1/2 1n2 31/2 before you start. The big guys always set them up to the max.

My grandson introduced me to the erg. He rows with his college (he was in high schoole when I started) and its really wonderful to share a sport that spans age and physical size. We both know the 'drill' of hard exercise. Your million meter idea is super-you get a new body, she gets something to be very proud of.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » November 30th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Hey Jane, I really liked your story. My best wishes are with you and with your friend. I'm getting my first million on my own erg today! I am about to get in my meters for the challenge and since I only have 4k to go and I row 8k per day, I'm gonna do it today! YIPPEE! In my thoughts I will be with your friend. It's so cool you are doing that for her. Join the Ducks and row for our team too!
Sincerely, Birdi

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » November 30th, 2006, 3:05 pm

PS....that's 4k to go for my MILLION, not for the 200k Challenge, I got way more to do for that yet! I made it to the 200k for the first time last year, did that pin ever mean alot to me! I'm 54 and battle weight problem so it's all the more rewarding to me to be a 'heavy gal' and still be able to row. And rowing is making me smaller so who can beat that! I've lost 5 pounds this week! I have a gal pal who is a marathon runner, which I am not able to do, but I can sure out row her, she can't believe it! Happy erging to all. I am so happy to have joined the Ducks, and have had a couple of gals to chat with and gather encouragement. That's all I need to keep me going. Thanks Grams, for all you have done. I need to get a shirt or something real soon. Best Wishes to all....I see the Ducks rose up to 6th place in the club standing as of last night Pacific time, haven't looked today. GO DUCKS! Regards, Birdi

Kiwi_Rower
Paddler

Post by Kiwi_Rower » November 30th, 2006, 4:55 pm

I joined Ducks and promptly dropped you all back to 7th place :oops: Should I be lame duck? LOL.. I've only got 22k metres under my belt :wink: actually hmm how bout Movin' Duck, I moved 9k miles from home, perhaps I can make my lifetime rowing goal 14.5 million metres, the same distance back home to NZ!

HUGE congratz to you Birdi on your million!!!

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » November 30th, 2006, 7:38 pm

No Worries! We all start somewhere! I'm no big deal with only one million! Some of these gals really have the meters under their belts! Yeah, saw we went back to 7th but that's not cuz of us, it's someone else logging in theirs above us. Thanks for the pat on the back, I'm pretty happy! That's quite a move! NYC ? Give me NZ ! Sorry, I'm a Pacific NW gal, way more like NZ. I must go log my meters for today and help our Ducks, myself towards the HC and go tell them I got a million! I want me T-shirt! :D Hi 5's to all, Birdi

Widgeon
500m Poster

Post by Widgeon » November 30th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Congrats on the million meters Birdie! Great Job!

Jane, welcome! Sounds like you are doing the right thing, keeping the time low until your body is used to the erg. I will echo Grams, keep the resistance setting low, the lever on the side of the fly wheel, 2 or 3 is best.
we had a great thread on the old forum last year comparing the technique of what they coined as meathead rowers, who set the resistance at 10 and then do a full out contorted 3 minute peice which looks like a wrestling match while being in labor! High resistance is a good way to injure yourself, esp early on.
Keep up the good work and let us help you stay motivated while you work to the million meter for your friend. Awesome.

Pam

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » December 1st, 2006, 12:07 am

Thanks Widgeon! It felt great! 1003716 to be exact. I rowed 8068 today before I would look at the total....just had to be sure! I didn't train up for the HC this year and had been in a big slump for a couple of months, in fact didn't even start the Challenge until Monday...already 4 days late. Then it just hit me that I was going to miss out and just be even more mad at myself....I had promised myself the 1Million for my birthday back in Sept and goofed off and didn't do it. So I took off Monday and have been rowing ever since. I have a sprained knee from a fall and I'm not a spring chicken at 54 (and overweight) but I'm going for it none the less, I just want that 200k again so badly. I agree with the low and slow and am splitting my rowing into 2X a day, resting, stretching and doing T'ai Chi inbetween. I know I'm still pushing it a bit but I get fired up over these things. That Million meant alot as it's been on my own erg, I never saved my meters or recorded them when I used to row at a club. Darn! Oh well, that was just practice! I'm just happy to be here and see how the forum has developed since a couple of years ago. A Women's page and the Ducks! Really good for all of us. Thanks again, Birdi

dnl17
Paddler

new duck

Post by dnl17 » December 6th, 2006, 11:47 pm

I just joined ducks in a row. I'm 33, a mom of two girls (5 months and 4 years). In college, I rowed for the University of Iowa just before they transitioned from club to a varsity sport -- wow -- to go online and see all that the team now has at their disposal -- great!! I love to erg, and that love started w/ the long winter workouts in the basement of Halsey Hall at Iowa... on our old ergs. My husband and I bought our erg on ebay several years ago and I used it to get into the best shape of my life after my first daughter was born -- I was beating my old college times for 2K and 10K pieces! Now, sadly, I'm out of shape... 2nd baby, PhD and new career... all great accomplishments, but I've used them as excuses to not stay in shape... No longer -- I'm committed to getting back into shape. I want to be a good role model for my kids, and that means being fit and enjoying it! So, I'm excited to be a new duck... back to the pond...

Kiwi_Rower
Paddler

Post by Kiwi_Rower » December 7th, 2006, 11:37 am

Hi Dnl17 and welcome to the forums. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you right now B) Good luck getting back into the swing of erging, I have just started but am enjoying the concept2 rankings - being competitive even if it is online is a great way to stay motivated.
Jane (Movin' Duck in Ducks In A Row) 304,207m
500m 2:03.0 2000m 9:23.9 5000m 23:55.8 6000M 29:17.4 10000m 51:52.5

"Once we know and understand our strengths, we can use them to compensate and correct for our weaknesses" - Gary Shank

Birdi
500m Poster

Post by Birdi » December 7th, 2006, 11:49 am

Hi dnl17, My Hubby is a fellow Iowan as are all his family, lots of grads from yous school! Just wanna give a big YEAH for the Iowans. We used to live in Sunmer, North of Waterloo area and Cedar Rapids....just had to say HI and Welcome! Erg on!

Birdi
You don't have to be the best, all you have to do is keep at it. Pain is only weakness leaving your body. Nahongvita!