any recommendations for preferred cycle trainer?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » September 30th, 2006, 7:11 pm

I used an Avenir wind trainer for many years, with a Cateye rear pick up cyclometer.

It was only 70 bucks, I think this was Dave Scott's company at the start.

I did many sessions of repetitions on this trainer and it gave me a greatttt workout!

As short or as long as I wanted.

Finally it just got old and I mistakenly tossed it :( but it was still working very well. Sighs. :cry:

I looked for it a few weeks ago to use it again, then remembered that I'd tossed it away. :(
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » September 30th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Krysta Coleman wrote:I was explaining RowPro and online races for the indoor rower to my friend the other day. She prefers the indoor cycle workout and was wondering if anything similar existed for that. Does anyone know anything about connecting an indoor bicycle to the internet for online races? Does that happen?

Thanks,
- Krysta
I found out a bit more information, the indoor machine that Francois mentioned uses this software http://www.peaktrainingsystem.com/page/page/1291199.htm

This looks great! It's similar to the really expensive machines (same software) yet is way less expensive. This company is the one that created on-line bike racing. The great part is that you can use any trainer. The only difference that I can see with this system compared to the expensive systems is that on the expensive systems they will automatically change the resistance for you. But with this kind of savings, I think I could live without that! You can race on-line against 7 other people or with the built in courses you can race against up to 30 computer generated riders. So for around $100.00 or so . . . :)
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » October 1st, 2006, 1:08 pm

Peak Performance looks like just waht my husband would like to have! Does anyone know if they are still in business? A reference somewhere said 2001...

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » October 1st, 2006, 6:30 pm

grams wrote:Peak Performance looks like just what my husband would like to have! Does anyone know if they are still in business? A reference somewhere said 2001...

grams
Hi Grams,
I saw their set up for sale at Performance Bicycle. I just found out about the program yesterday so it might be worth investigating it a bit more to see if you can get some reviews on it. It looks good to me though! John.

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.

hkp2ksk
Paddler

Post by hkp2ksk » October 1st, 2006, 6:58 pm

grams,

if you want to get better at riding your bike, then you gotta ride your bike!! go to <www.kreitler.com> and prepare to get blasted ;)

tony

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » October 2nd, 2006, 3:25 pm

I will when my surgeon and pt guy gives me a go-ahead. I'm 4 weeks post-op from acl reconstruction. Because I got someone elses tendon grafted in, my md reminded me that it will take 9 months to grow one of my own over the dead guys tendon I have now.

The thing i watch out for is doing too much too soon, and a bad fall or twisting my knee. This is a waiting game.

I'll be out there with my husband the crazy cyclist (he rode half way across Oz on dirt tracks whenhe was 65) when I'm all healed up. Meanwhile, its training inside. I have a new tv and the interactive stuff looks appealing.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"

Dreadnought
1k Poster

Re: any recommendations for preferred cycle trainer?

Post by Dreadnought » October 20th, 2006, 10:22 pm

grams wrote:I've decided we need an indoor cycle trainer. The permanent kind-not the one you put your bicycle in.

Any recommendations?

I want it for erging cross-training and knee rehab. My husband is a real cyclist. We need one that each of us can use to get the best workout.

thanks,

grams
Look at the BT-ATS Ergo Trainer. Same principle as the Concept 2, a large fan generates progressive resistance. I was unable to post the URL, but some key words are "USAuzziesales-Bike Technologies"

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » October 20th, 2006, 10:33 pm

I sent for this Avenir trainer a few days ago.

Here is a picture of it.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Dreadnought
1k Poster

Re: any recommendations for preferred cycle trainer?

Post by Dreadnought » October 20th, 2006, 10:35 pm

grams wrote:I've decided we need an indoor cycle trainer. The permanent kind-not the one you put your bicycle in.

Any recommendations?

I want it for erging cross-training and knee rehab. My husband is a real cyclist. We need one that each of us can use to get the best workout.

thanks,

grams
I finally was able to post the url.

http://www.usauzziesales.com/bt-ats-ergo%20trainer.htm

It is the kind that you put your bike on, but it appears to be superior to most stationary bikes. You can always get an inexpensive bike for a fraction of the cost of the trainer.

Dreadnought
1k Poster

Post by Dreadnought » October 20th, 2006, 10:47 pm

Right. But the noise probably turned you into the complete idiot you have become.[/quote]

Ever wonder why theConcept 2 is not that noisy? After all it is a wind trainer. It uses a much larger fan so it doesen't have to spin as fast in order to generate enough resistance.

Dreadnought
1k Poster

Post by Dreadnought » October 20th, 2006, 10:57 pm

michaelb wrote:We have a fluid trainer and it hasn't leaked. It worked fine, but was loud and does cause some wear on the rear wheel (plus you really want flats). But Grams doesn't want a trainer, she wants a dedicated indoor bike.

We also have a spin bike with the very heavy front wheel. Grams, if you and your husband haven't tried one of those, it is worth checking out a spin bike too. Spin bikes are really industrial strength, and designed for standing and cranking and a lot of high intensity use. They are also very adjustable for different users. I agree though that the heavy wheel takes some getting used to, since it carries a lot of momentum and will continue to spin strongly. But the momentum that the wheel carries makes the bike feel like it is moving much more than other stationary bikes, sort of like you can feel momentum on the C2, but much more so. Our spin bike does not have any display or electronics, so I don't know if they come with anything like that, and I know that was something you wanted.
Spin bikes are the right idea in terms of trying to simulate the inertia of road riding. However if you look at some of the mechanical engineering research on them, you will find that even those big 45lb flywheels don't even come close to matching the inertia of a bike on the road.

The other disadvantage is that most of them do not measure power output, and they use the primitive brake pad method for adjusting resistance. Softride makes a spin bike that uses eddy current resistance and actually measures wattage (Costco was selling them a while back). I believe Cycleops has a similar bike.

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » December 21st, 2006, 3:02 pm

I'm bringing back an old thread here with some new info. First, Grams, if you happen to read this, how is your recovery going and how do you like the indoor cycling?

A few days ago I received my new trainer in the mail. It's a Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Pro Trainer. I ordered the Pro Trainer so I was surprised to get the Rock and Roll version of it. It's a mixture of the Rock and Roll trainer frame with the resistance unit of the pro trainer. It's a liquid resistance unit (with a lifetime guarentee against crashing or leaking.) Cycling Magazine gave the Pro Trainer their Editor's Choice Award. It comes with a 6 lbs weight and an additional 12 lbs. I used it with the full 18 lbs. It felt very much like the resistance felt while out on the road. On the testing the company did on the unit it was just slightly harder than road effort.
The Rock and Roll frame is fun. There is a side to side movement with the bike frame that is especially noticeable when working out of the saddle. I had an old trainer that I've been using. I was bought back to reality with the new trainer. On the old one the bike computer would say that I was going around 30-35 kph. On the new one with about the same effort it's about 25-28 kph. You can also get a cyclo-computer (by the same company) that measures watts and is supposed to be fairly accurate.

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » December 21st, 2006, 3:21 pm

your new toy looks like a great way to spend the winter. Very nice.

Knee recovery is fantastic. My leg is longer & stronger than before. Unfortunately a couple of my vigorous physical therapy exercises stressed my sacroiliac joint. So for several weeks I'm erging very gently (whine) and for short periods. I find the hardest part about my recovery is the required level of inactivity.

Exercise Bike: I wanted something that didn't use my bike and wasn't $2000, so I got a Schwinn upright stationary bike. Its fine for my level of cycling. I found long ago that trying to keep up with my husband leads to my breaking things on my body. (like my acl). My workouts on this bike leave no illusions that I'm training for any technical riding.

Surprisingly my husband the bike fanatic likes it too. He says he gets a good workout on it. It has readouts to keep us occupied. He has a trainer that he can put his bike in but isn't using it now that he can use my Schwinn. It may have something to do with his not wanting to bother taking his bike in and out of the thing.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » December 21st, 2006, 4:03 pm

I'm glad that everyone is enjoying their trainers.

The Avenir has been working well for me, then the back tire went flat due to being worn out with time and I've not yet replaced it.

In the meantime someone was getting rid of a Tunturi indoor recumbent cycle, which I picked up for a friend of mine who is 70. She rides 10 minutes on this every morning and it is great exercise for her legs. This is the first time I've tried a recumbent and it is a very nice machine. You can set the resistance as high or as low as you wish. At higher resistance, the revolutions are lower but it really works your legs as to strength. Or you can spin it along more easily when the resistance is low.

I'd highly recommend one of these recumbent trainers for anyone looking for an easy to use and very stable indoor cycle.

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » December 21st, 2006, 7:39 pm

John Rupp wrote:I'm glad that everyone is enjoying their trainers.

The Avenir has been working well for me, then the back tire went flat due to being worn out with time and I've not yet replaced it.

In the meantime someone was getting rid of a Tunturi indoor recumbent cycle, which I picked up for a friend of mine who is 70. She rides 10 minutes on this every morning and it is great exercise for her legs. This is the first time I've tried a recumbent and it is a very nice machine. You can set the resistance as high or as low as you wish. At higher resistance, the revolutions are lower but it really works your legs as to strength. Or you can spin it along more easily when the resistance is low.

I'd highly recommend one of these recumbent trainers for anyone looking for an easy to use and very stable indoor cycle.
Good point on the stability John. Twice a week I go to the gym with someone who is very prone to seizures. The recumbant works well because of the stability and the added bonus that it's relatively close to the floor should someone who experiances seizures or is prone to falling takes a dive. I find that it uses the leg muscles quite differently than an upright bike. It's the only machine besides the erg that causes my gluts to suffer :(. Of course an upright bike can cause some discomfort too :? . John.

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.