Model C questions

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
seaverd
Paddler

Model C questions

Post by seaverd » October 4th, 2006, 11:04 am

I am new to rowing and purchased a used 1998 Model C erg with a PM2 monitor yesterday for $325 (I hoping this was a good deal). The PM2 non-resettable odometer indicates that the erg has 7,436 km. Is this considered low or high usage?

In looking through some older posts on this forum – many people have mentioned a “quiet kit” for the model C. Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Is the erg noticeably quieter? I was also going to order the model D handle kit. Based on the km on the erg, are there any other replacement parts that I should consider ordering from concept2 at this time?

At some point I would like to be able to use RowPro and will therefore need a new monitor. From previous posts it looks like Concept2 is going to take PM3’s as a trade-in for PM4’s. Does anyone think that Concept2 will resell the used PM3s at a discount? If anyone is interested in selling their PM3, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

nkoffler
Paddler

Model C

Post by nkoffler » October 4th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Sounds like a pretty good price but condition is everything. The number of meters is not all that high for an erg of that age.

Only get the quiet kit if you want/need your erg to be quieter. I prefer the new handle but some don't. At $15, it's a low cost option. You should do some basic maintenance such as tightening all of the fittings and oiling the chain. Instructions for that are on the C2 site. If necessary, you may need to adjust your bungee cords as well.

I'm still using the old monitor but I don't believe C2 sells the new ones at much of a discount.

Neil
Neil K.
Forest Hills, NY
Men's LW, 42 years old

michaelb
2k Poster

Post by michaelb » October 4th, 2006, 5:12 pm

I have a 1997 C2 with around 4.5 millon meters. I haven't done any maintenance or upkeep to it. If you lay on the ground and look up at the pulley assembly from the bottom, you will get a good idea of how frayed the bungy is. At some point, I am going to consider replacing that. Some people seem to also replace the seat rollers at some point. I haven't considered the quiet kit, since I just turn the stereo up.

I have the D handle and like that; I upgraded to a PM3 the week they came out, and C2 took back my PM2 as a trade in. So you might want to give C2 a call and ask if they sell refurbed PM3s as upgrades with a PM2 trade in.

Rowpro is great, so I think that is well worth it.
M 51 5'9'' (1.75m), a once and future lightweight
Old PBs 500m-1:33.9 1K-3:18.6 2K-6:55.4 5K-18:17.6 10K-38:10.5 HM-1:24:00.1 FM-3:07.13