New kid questions

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
rtmmtl
500m Poster

New kid questions

Post by rtmmtl » September 23rd, 2006, 11:33 am

have been using my C2 D for about 12 days, I have zero rowing experience of any kind. I am old and out of shape.

My stats: 9200 lifetime meters, best 2K 15:36, best 500m 3:38 all at 21 SPM. I have monitored myself in a mirror and I feel that my form is reasonable for a novice. I have had no heavy fatique while rowing; which is what the plan generated for me by RowPro wants.

I would expect to have poor times as a beginner, but as you can see my times are more than twice what a "good" rower does. Are my times reasonable for my age, condition and experience, are these stats pretty much normal for a beginner, or is it likely that I am doing something very wrong?

Thanks.
Bob

rtmmtl
500m Poster

New kid questions II

Post by rtmmtl » September 23rd, 2006, 11:41 am

Forgot to mention that all the rows are at setting of 3.
Bob

jjpisano
1k Poster

Post by jjpisano » September 23rd, 2006, 1:05 pm

rtmmtl:

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the Concept2 rowing machine as much as I do.

Regarding your questions, it's probably best you have a reasonably good stroke. You may, in fact, be doing the stroke badly and seeking help would bring your times down. Did your machine come with a video of rowing technique? If not, then I believe there are videos available that show good technique. It's important to have good technique not only for being efficient in your work but so you don't hurt yourself. If you can't find videos of good technique, it would help if you get a knowledgable person give you pointers in person.

But with that being said, at this phase in your rowing career, habit formation is key. Getting the habit of getting on the machine is half the battle. It would be a shame if you got this machine and you didn't use it. I had my machine for years without barely using it. For nearly a whole year after I started using it again, I worked on just the habit of getting on the machine. I didn't care how hard I was pulling for a whole year - I just knew years of habitual inactivity had to be reversed by years of habitual exercise. But I wasn't going to turn my lifestyle around by overexerting myself suddenly - I had to ease myself into a new set of habits.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is: Congratulations on choosing to exercise. Ease into it. Don't be too hard on yourself. Don't worry what the other people are doing with times (at least for now - maybe later). Enjoy yourself.
Jim SWCSPI Pisano

rtmmtl
500m Poster

Post by rtmmtl » September 23rd, 2006, 2:25 pm

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I just want to emphasize what a gentleman (his name escapes me at the moment) said in reply to what I posted:

"The technique video included with the Erg is a good place to start, but unless there is something mechanically wrong with the Erg itself, I can't imagine why you would not be in the 2:30-2:40 range right out of the box. And quickly improving on that." What are your thoughts on what he said about the 2:30-2:40 range?

In the meantime I discovered what possibly maybe the problem. The PM3 sensor cable - runs from the black housing on the back of the flywheel housing and ends up plugging into the PM3 (this is on a model D) was jammed between the right side of the black 'chain guide' and the bracket on the flywheel back cover and the nuts tightened so as to crush the cable.

Any one with the D, I would be interested if the PM3 sensosr coil cable is just hanging free until it goes into the guides on the PM3 arm or is between the aforesaid.

I took it out but the cable has been definitely been pinched. If what I quoted above about the time range is correct then I do believe that is the problem.
Bob

Dillon
Paddler

Post by Dillon » September 23rd, 2006, 6:59 pm

rtmmtl wrote:
" I can't imagine why you would not be in the 2:30-2:40 range right out of the box. And quickly improving on that." What are your thoughts on what he said about the 2:30-2:40 range?
Ignore him. Everyone starts from a different place. This is particularly true for people who approach rowing after years of little or no exercise.

Row... start at a pace and distance that you are comfortable with and gradually pick up the time and distance for the first few weeks with no big changes in stroke rate. Keep at it. After a few months you'll get a feel for what you can do.

Do the best you can to imitate the good form in the video, and fight the temptation to pick up the stroke rate for better times. You probably need a good deal of upper body as well as aerobic improvement.

There will be plenty of time later for fine tuning and ramping up the output.

As to the magic 7 min 2Ks ... Just think about how many recreational runners can run a four minute mile.

Regards,

Dave

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » September 23rd, 2006, 7:55 pm

That's it, Ignore me! :idea:

I've only taught more people to row/erg, than read this forum, people from 2 - 80 years old.

Sorry, but that kind of crap is a bit annoying!

The issue with the cable could be a problem, they can get pinched. Generally it waill cause no problem, erratic readings, or at worst no display at all.

The various slots are there for the cable to run through, and putting it in them is not going to cause a problem, but there should not be any kinking, binding or stretching, as that will break some of the wires and eventually be inopperable.

On with the ignoring, it will save me time, and there are plently of others here that have asked similar questions, had them answered, and will be along shortly to help out. :roll:
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

Dillon
Paddler

Post by Dillon » September 23rd, 2006, 9:05 pm

PaulS wrote:That's it, Ignore me! :idea:

I've only taught more people to row/erg, than read this forum, people from 2 - 80 years old.

Paul, I had no idea that it was you who made that comment... Astonishing. I've always respected your views.

Are you really saying that a 77 year old beginner, with no rowing background, should be concerned that he is not rowing between 2:40 and 2:30 splits "right out of the box"? How bizarre... :?

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » September 23rd, 2006, 10:59 pm

Dillon wrote:
PaulS wrote:That's it, Ignore me! :idea:

Paul, I had no idea that it was you who made that comment... Astonishing. I've always respected your views.

Are you really saying that a 77 year old beginner, with no rowing background, should be concerned that he is not rowing between 2:40 and 2:30 splits "right out of the box"? How bizarre... :?
Yep, that's what I would expect, seen it many times, and I'm serious about the rapid improvement to.

Check this quote from Little lwt Grams on Erging with one leg two weeks after knee surgery.
grams wrote:I had kee surgery on Sept 7. The recovery is coming along nicely. I borrowed some slides from coach Paul so I can row one-legged for a while. Rowing is helping me a lot with the boredom factor. The healing/replacement process won't be complete for 9 months, so hopefully my erg will keep me entertained.

Questions for other who have erged using only one leg:
What drag factor do you use?
Also stroke rate, typical 500 split, and distance/time for a normal workout?

My first session was a half hour at 3:00min/500m. DF of 90 and stroke rate was about 22. I'm being careful-I don't need to hurt my one good knee....

Let me know your experiences with adaptive rowing please.

grams
Not sure if that's going to help with the "respected views", but it might shed a bit on the "bizzarreness" factor.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

rtmmtl
500m Poster

Post by rtmmtl » September 26th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Thanks to all for help, suggestions and support, I appreciate it.

As for as the cable goes, I talked to C2 and they tell me that is the way it is routed.

Thanks again.
Bob

igoeja
2k Poster

Restricted Range

Post by igoeja » September 26th, 2006, 2:38 pm

It might be hard to estimate your relative fitness by looking at your erg performances against the times submitted to Concept II (http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/rankings.asp). For instance, I recently had a stress test - I am a diabetic, but it was precautionary rather than a necessity - and my Bruce treadmill score was considered excellent for my age, ranking at the 95th percentile. But, if were to try to assess my fitness from my current erg score, you'd think I was maybe a bit fitter than most people, somewhere in the range of the 50th to 37th percentile.

- Rowing takes time and volume of effort, and considerable anaerobic training

- Technique matters, and that comes with time and focus

- Physiology matters, so having a naturally high aerobic capacity, as well as being tall and fairly strong, will impact your performance. Smaller people will not do as well, although they might be quite fit.

One estimate, once you've trained for awhile, might be to use the following:

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/too ... vo2max.asp

It estimates your VO2Max, which is some indicator of your fitness. Also, particularly in the beginning, you might just want to focus on your relative improvement, rather than some fixed target.

igoeja
2k Poster

My Mistake

Post by igoeja » September 26th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Pardon my error, I just haven't gotten accustomed to the sort order of the thread; I would like it to default inverted by date, so newest first, and I forgot to scroll to the bottom to see updates.