Model C or Model D

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
irishjack
Paddler

Model C or Model D

Post by irishjack » August 11th, 2006, 3:49 pm

I am new to this. What is the primary difference between a Model C and a Model D.

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » August 11th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Here's the C2 demo about the Model D w/ the PM3. If you go all the way to the end, they show the things they considered "new" then (versus the previously current Model C). I don't know if that's everything, but at least it is a lot of it.

Note that they will shortly be selling 3 versions:

ModelD w/ PM3
ModelD w/PM4 and
ModelE w/ PM4

Here is a thread about the second the D & E w/ PM4...which includes this post from c2bill about the new offerings.

Good luck!

Alissa

mercv12
Paddler

D

Post by mercv12 » September 22nd, 2006, 10:08 am

I ike the D :D
PROTAGONIST / Liquid Superhero

Dillon
Paddler

Post by Dillon » September 22nd, 2006, 10:33 am

In my experience the differences are:

Sound - The D is quieter (My model C growls, my wife's model D purrs)

Monitor - PM2 vs PM3 (The model D's PM3's card reader was important
enough to me that I upgraded my Model C to a PM3)

Central joint - The Model D is much easier to take apart and put back
together. (Not a factor here as both remain set up.)

"Look and Feel" - My grey and black all metal model C looks positively
sinister next to my wife's new light priwinkle blue
model D. (Sort of like an Apache attack helicopter
parked next to a Cessna).

Which one is "primary" is up to you. ;-)

Dave

Dillon
Paddler

Post by Dillon » September 22nd, 2006, 10:34 am

In my experience the differences are:

Sound - The D is quieter (My model C growls, my wife's model D purrs)

Monitor - PM2 vs PM3 (The model D's PM3's card reader was important enough to me that I upgraded my Model C to a PM3)

Central joint - The Model D is much easier to take apart and put back together. (Not a factor here as both remain set up.)

"Look and Feel" - My grey and black all metal model C looks positively sinister next to my wife's new light priwinkle blue model D. (Sort of like an Apache attack helicopter parked next to a Cessna).

Which one is "primary" is up to you. ;-)

Dave

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » September 22nd, 2006, 10:52 am

Dillon wrote:
"Look and Feel" - My grey and black all metal model C looks positively sinister next to my wife's new light priwinkle blue model D. (Sort of like an Apache attack helicopter parked next to a Cessna).

Dave
And the Model A sounds like an Apache attack helicopter. :wink:

As Dillion implies, it depends on what is most important to you.

There are a lot of Model B's out there since they are basically indestructable. The C is a bit more destructable, but for home use will also last you forever, as would a D, D2, or E.

As for the original question, there is no functional difference between the C and D. The primary (stock) difference would be the PM3 with it's increased functionality. Though a C with ErgMonitor will make you feel like you have entered the cockpit of that Apache helicopter mentioned above. B)
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

Ducatista
2k Poster

Re: Model C or Model D

Post by Ducatista » September 22nd, 2006, 2:27 pm

irishjack wrote:What is the primary difference between a Model C and a Model D.
The C looks badass. The D does not.

RowBug
Paddler

just a few more comments?

Post by RowBug » December 21st, 2006, 1:02 am

Hey all! I just need a few more comments to pull the trigger on a new model D/PM3. I've regularly used a model C/PM2 at the gym, for 2 years or so, then took a year off, now I want to get one for home. Basically, is there any difference in the operation/fit of the D vs C? Will it feel the same? I know the D is quieter, I suspect it's a change in the resistance fan, does it still give a good smooth pull? Seat height, foot position, etc. all appear very similar to the C. Today, I tested a WaterRower (sorry!!) and then tested a C2 model C. I still prefer the C2 for 2 reasons, even though it doesn't evoke the same 'zen' feeling from the water swoosing noise...I'll get a CD for that!!! FWIW, the reasons are 1. the C2 footrests are wider apart and fit me better. 2. I like the C2 seat better. Also, the guy at the WaterRower store said if I put my goldfish or laundry in the tank, it would void the warranty.
So...who has used both C and D? What differences will I notice? Hint...I notice the little picky details...
Thanks All!!
NewB

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » December 21st, 2006, 2:05 am

I've had a model B since 1993, used a C for two years and sold it a few months ago, and got a D just 12 days ago.

The D has a greater range of drag factors, is smoother and more quiet than the C, and is much nicer looking.

The pm3 monitor does not have a good resolution and the numbers respond slowly, as compared to the pm2, but this is more than made up for by the greater functionality of the features. In particular the force curve is great, and I enjoy using it every day. I had expected to use the pace boat much more but have ended up to not use it at all. Another feature I like is the projected pace is right on the front screen with the average. You can set 5 favorite workouts, and recall your previous sessions from the log card that is provided with the monitor.

Overall, I like the features of the D much more than the C, and recommend it over any of the others that I've used. I even like my B better than the C as it's smoother. However, the D is the best of the three, and the force curve on the pm3 is the best of the features on the monitor.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2