Around the World Row!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
rowmyboat
500m Poster

Post by rowmyboat » September 13th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Hey Brigette, we don't dissect whitebait either - nothing left if we did! and yes, we sometimes eat them crispy too - nice either way.

David - You saying our summer is cold? Well, I guess most people do, but we survive - good weather for erging!!

As for the 4K - a couple of weeks to go yet!!

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » September 13th, 2006, 10:13 pm

I didn't say NZ summers are cold. I said antarctic summers are cold. I love NZ. Having been there a few times, we considered emigrating there as well before we moved here from the UK. We loved the south island and have very good friends in Blenheim. Gotta love the SauvBlanc too!

So you're only going to have one go at the 4K then?
David Chmilowskyj
M 56 6ft 4in/1.94m 230lb/105kg
Team Oarsome

rowmyboat
500m Poster

Post by rowmyboat » September 13th, 2006, 10:24 pm

It felt like we were one and the same this winter - antarctic storms blew right in for a few weeks and we had snow right down to sea level in the Canterbury area which is unusual. Blenheim is a much warmer area and yes, lovely white wines produced in NZ.
Re the 4K, I have already posted a 4K but I'm in the Forum Flyers, I'm just keeping an eye on you keen rowers as you visit NZ on your way through!

Cheers, Shirley

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » September 14th, 2006, 10:35 am

Aah an interloper here to stir up trouble and get crew members walking the plank :shock:
Should've known. There are dangerous creatures on the water (Lorelei etc) as well as under it. :wink:
I'll be sure to wave on my way past! B)
Dave
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » September 14th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Aah an interloper here to stir up trouble and get crew members walking the plank
Should've known. There are dangerous creatures on the water (Lorelei etc) as well as under it.
I'll be sure to wave on my way past!
Dave
I am looking forward to Shirley, guiding us through the land of the long white cloud. Are the rules still the same for pubbing it on the Wet Coast?

Allan Meltzer has not put in any rows in a week or so. I hope he is OK, he is one of our very high mileage rowers, and we will need every meter to get us across the long slog from Greymouth to the South Pole.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

rowmyboat
500m Poster

Post by rowmyboat » September 15th, 2006, 12:57 am

'Wet' Coast - he he - was that intentional Jim? I don't know how long ago you were there, but I'm not sure there are any 'rules' .....!!
It's becoming a very popular tourist attraction actually, very 'crafty' area now, a more relaxed lifestyle.
You might find Alan has reached the coast already and enjoying himself - I'll try and find him and send him on his way, he's on a mission I'll remind him.

Cheers, Shirley

foodie
Paddler

Post by foodie » September 15th, 2006, 9:34 am

Hi all. Just found this forum (NOT technologically inclined, I'm afraid.) I've been a member of the Eh Team since late last fall, but didn't realize how far we've rowed! Happy to be in NZ climes now that the weather here is starting to turn.

ChrisH
500m Poster

Post by ChrisH » September 15th, 2006, 9:46 am

Hello Everyone :D

I started erging again after a long absence. If walking the plank is punishment for being away for so long I accept my fate.

Chris
Sheepishly returning to the Around The World Row :oops:
MH 54 5'8'' 190lbs.

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » September 15th, 2006, 9:10 pm

rowmyboat wrote:'Wet' Coast - he he - was that intentional Jim? I don't know how long ago you were there, but I'm not sure there are any 'rules' .....!!
It's becoming a very popular tourist attraction actually, very 'crafty' area now, a more relaxed lifestyle.
Cheers, Shirley
Yes, that was quite intentional. That was what we called it when I was there. It was over 20 years ago now. The pubbing "rules" at the time were:
Get to the pub before it closes
Lock the door, pull down all the curtains -> party
If you didn't make it before it closed knock 3 times to get in, 2 knocks (I forget what this meant), 1 knock - it's the police -> everyone out the back. (Unless of course it was the police with 3 knocks when they just wanted a beer :o )

I see they are still advertising my old job over there. Now that is a recruiting problem. I should go back and finish my career in the same place I started it.

Welcome back to ChrisH. It's a good time to be sheepish as we are entering the land of sheep.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » September 16th, 2006, 12:44 am

29 million meters!!!

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » September 16th, 2006, 9:03 pm

I know we have some kayakers on our team.
This is for you.
Guy in a kayak gets a surprise ....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7644323376

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » September 17th, 2006, 6:58 pm

danwho wrote:I know we have some kayakers on our team.
This is for you.
Guy in a kayak gets a surprise ....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7644323376
Amazing footage Dan :o ! It's hard to believe that they were still able to do a role once they surfaced. Twenty two years ago I kayaked from Haines Alaska down to Seattle Washington. We saw lots of whales along the way and some were very close, but luckily not that close! :) . Thanks! John
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » September 17th, 2006, 10:10 pm

That was an awesome video, Dan. At first I thought the whale had swallowed the kayak whole.

We have made it to New Zealand! And we are moving so fast we are into the southern Alps all ready. We went flying past Greymouth, where I used to work.

Here is a really old picture of the terrain we are going through.

It is a multinational group, like our eh!team boat. The picture is at the top of the Fox Glacier.

That's me (a Canuck) in the front, the German girl (?Brigette) in the middle, and Neal (a kiwi) in the back.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » September 21st, 2006, 6:59 pm

Congratulations Francois on being a "Weekly Winner"!
Welcome back to those who've not been erging recently. Hopefully your efforts will help speed us through the cold bits!

Dave
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » September 21st, 2006, 10:59 pm

Tinpusher wrote:Congratulations Francois on being a "Weekly Winner"!
Welcome back to those who've not been erging recently. Hopefully your efforts will help speed us through the cold bits!

Dave
Here is the link to Francois comments There is a great picture of him on the bike.

We are now on the longest leg of our journey. Hopefully many of you are ready to put in some meters on the erg so we can cut across Antartica and into South America. This will be long and arduous, but the eh!team can do it..... one meter at at a time.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim